• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III to be published by Deep Silver, details for Gamescom meet and greet

Erevador

I think this is great news. It's great that the Shenmue team will have the support of a proper company in dealing with all the details of getting the game out. YS Net seem to be a talented team with little institutional support. Deep Silver have a lot of games under their belt (including some great ones) and will help make sure Shenmue reaches its potential in terms of actually reaching a modern audience.

I see this as a re-assuring development that will help assure the game actually comes out. I am just pleased at this further confirmation that yes, Shenmue III is real, and we're all going to get our hands on it.

Boke1879

This definitely highlight what I meant.

"a bit off" ?
I mean, they're literally two different persons.

I don't have a problem with her model at all. It's not a huge sticking point to me. Outside of that I think it looks good. Can't wait to see it in motion.

Metalgus

Banned
I'm sure it'll be fine when in motion. Can't wait for the reveal. Fingers crossed for an HD announcement as well (I know, I know).

Boke1879

did sega drop the ball

or dodge a bullet

Don't see how they did anything. Considering they weren't going to even fund a project.

At the end of the day lets be real. This game is really here for the hardcore fans. It's probably not going to do huge numbers.

Think about TLG. They game was really released for goodwill.

Erevador

A user at Shenmue Dojo posted this higher res composition of the new models:

New_RYO_SHENHUA.png

Of course everything in the world can be improved, but I really like them. And with the budget and time constraints a game like this has, I think these are more than enough and they should focus their resources in other areas of the game.
I think he looks good. He looks a lot like the original game model to me. Similar expression there.

kunonabi

New_RYO_SHENHUA.png

Of course everything in the world can be improved, but I really like them. And with the budget and time constraints a game like this has, I think these are more than enough and they should focus their resources in other areas of the game.

Yikes. I sincerely hope these are still WIP.

So you want a super generic Ryo? Cool. I'm glad fans have no direct input in this Kickstarter process when I see so many kneejerk bad opinions.

Well, we got a super generic Ryo. Bad opinions ? Come on, the campaign management was a disaster. It's because of the fans that it wasn't a complete trainwreck.

You want bad opinions ? Just look at these two new models. How can anyone seriously say that the Shenhua model look faithful ?

Boke1879

Well, we got a super generic Ryo. Bad opinions ? Come on, the campaign management was a disaster. It's because of the fans that it wasn't a complete trainwreck.

You want bad opinions ? Just look at these two new models. How can anyone seriously say that the Shenhua model look faithful ?

Ryo looks fine. Like I'm not seeing any issue with his model at all.

Spaghetti

That looks less like Ryo, not more.
Yeah. Have to agree. Tweaks can still be made but attempts to re-Ryo the model have only looked worse and more off-model than what YSnet have produced. Maybe they just want a more realistic style and won't say it.

I've spent a while looking at the Ryo model (the high res one that hasn't had the contrast/saturation fucked with), and I've developed a litmus test:

Cover the face from the nose down, then do the same but covering the eyes. Both parts look identifiably like Ryo. Like, I would know this even if I had no idea the image was from Shenmue III. It really does look like a modern update of his game model from 15 years ago.

If some people wanted passport models, that's their problem. Just remember you never actually played with those models. Ryo never looked like that through either game. Yu Suzuki said they're respecting the memories players had of how the characters looked, and it looks like a promise almost entirely fulfilled.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
On one side .. getting a confirmed publisher is a good news .. on the other .. I was half expecting Sony to lead the publishing and marketing of the game.

Erevador

People in this thread are being ridiculously over the top about one hastily thrown together placeholder image. Ridiculous.

Wait to see proper footage of the game as it approaches its final state. We've seen almost nothing from it yet. What little behind the scenes stuff we've seen has looked great, I think the environments in the game are going to be something really special. So far there has been nothing in terms of competent "marketing," but I'm sure that's part of why Deep Silver are getting involved.

If you are immediately turning on the game in light of zero new actual footage or relevant information, I can't believe that you were really rooting for it in the first place.

There is certainly an appetite among some to try and manufacture Might No. 9 style drama, which there is no basis for.

Wait to see more.

kunonabi

Yeah. Have to agree. Tweaks can still be made but attempts to re-Ryo the model have only looked worse and more off-model than what YSnet have produced. Maybe they just want a more realistic style and won't say it.

I've spent a while looking at the Ryo model (the high res one that hasn't had the contrast/saturation fucked with), and I've developed a litmus test:

Cover the face from the nose down, then do the same but covering the eyes. Both parts look identifiably like Ryo. Like, I would know this even if I had no idea the image was from Shenmue III. It really does look like a modern update of his game model from 15 years ago.

If some people wanted passport models, that's their problem. Just remember you never actually played with those models. Ryo never looked like that through either game. Yu Suzuki said they're respecting the memories players had of how the characters looked, and it looks like a promise almost entirely fulfilled.

Im not seeing that all. And whats worse, they clash with the other character they showed a model of. I really dont understand why they're having so much trouble with Ryo and Shenhua.

Hesh

New_RYO_SHENHUA.png

That color tweak did wonders, Ryo looks great here. I'm still not satisfied with Shenhua's eyes, but they have time to tweak that.

Guy on the right isn't Ryo. Yeah, I guess he "looks more Asian", but he doesn't look like Ryo.

Spaghetti

As others have stated. Ryo's model is in line with his original DC model. I don't see an issue.
Same.

Frankly this thread is hot take central for people who probably have no clue what Shenmue is let alone what the characters are supposed to look like.

Check out all the posts saying SEGA dropped the project. It was widely known from day one SEGA were only providing the licence.

A few anxious fans who are not okay with the idea of not getting the Shenmue III they had in their head are fine (because you can't please everyone), but they've had two years to prepare for that. I'd rather take a Ryo model that looks very close to his Dreamcast iteration than some fantasy baloney based on the passport models we were never going to have.

And nobody seems to be talking about how good that peek of Choubu looks like, OR that the Great Wall of China is now in the game.

br3wnor

The Shenmue III Review Thread will be going straight into the GAF Hall of Fame.

Not impressed w/ the models but I also don’t care too much. Whether the graphics are great or not isn’t going to change my enjoyment of the game, the bigger concern is them updating the gameplay now that we’ve had 18 years of open world games built upon Shenmue’s foundation.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
You can add me to the camp of being a little bit surprised and perhaps even a tad disappointed that Sega did not come through in the end by publishing this game themselves
I think the reason Sega isn't touching this game is because of what we've seen so far. Nothing about this project has been impressive in the least. Without the Shenmue pedigree, this would have bomba written all over it...

Same.

Frankly this thread is hot take central for people who probably have no clue what Shenmue is let alone what the characters are supposed to look like.

Check out all the posts saying SEGA dropped the project. It was widely known from day one SEGA were only providing the licence.

A few anxious fans who are not okay with the idea of not getting the Shenmue III they had in their head are fine (because you can't please everyone), but they've had two years to prepare for that. I'd rather take a Ryo model that looks very close to his Dreamcast iteration than some fantasy baloney based on the passport models we were never going to have.

And nobody seems to be talking about how good that peek of Choubu looks like, OR that the Great Wall of China is now in the game.

Lol. People aren't complaining because he does look like the Dreamcast iteration. People complain because he doesn't look like his Dreamcast iteration.

And Shenhua is even worse !

How does this:
Looks like this:

As I said, Ryo is on right track and needs additional tweaks. But the problem remains the direction, in which they made the character less asian. And Shenhua looks like a totally different person.

Heck, is that even Shenhua ???

J2 Cool

The Shenmue III Review Thread will be going straight into the GAF Hall of Fame.

Not impressed w/ the models but I also don’t care too much. Whether the graphics are great or not isn’t going to change my enjoyment of the game, the bigger concern is them updating the gameplay now that we’ve had 18 years of open world games built upon Shenmue’s foundation.

For me, a big part of how you connect with a game like Shenmue, its characters, the world is through its art. Shenmue especially is about specificity. Its accuracy to 1986 japan and its weather for instance.

If the character models are breaking that illusion by just looking funky, it could hurt the immersion. Especially during any story sequences. Shenmue originally was cutting edge on character models.

jett

D-Member
Ryo looks perfectly fine, I really don't see the complaints about his character model at all.

Shenhua on the other hand doesn't look like Shenhua at all. I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be Shenhua.

Ryo looks perfectly fine, I really don't see the complaints about his character model at all.

Shenhua on the other hand doesn't look like Shenhua at all. I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be Shenhua.

I explained the issue with Ryo's models. Even if it looks better, it needs to be tweaked even further. Because he looks less asian now.

Bioshocker

Agree. Ryo is OK, Shenhua isn't. Remember what she looked like in the actual game:

DREAMCAST--Shenmue%20II%20English%20Translation_Aug29%2015_37_18.png

How does it come about that a company of sega's scale needs to partner with a company like Deep Silver in order to release a game?

SEGA not paying or developing the game, it's simply allowed Yu Suzuki to use the IP . Where is SONY, they milked the Shenmue III at its E3 stage even had Yu Suzuki at their E3 2015 stage and not only are they not funding the game, they can't be bothered to publish game either.

Shameful on SONY's part

orient

Neo Member
I explained the issue with Ryo's models. Even if it looks better, it needs to be tweaked even further. Because he looks less asian now.

Dude, you keep bringing this up as if this comparison hasn't proven you wrong:

ryo-face.jpg

Similar skin tone, same eyes as in most other iterations. You're way off.

SEGA not paying or developing the game, it's simply allowed Yu Suzuki to use the IP . Where is SONY, they milked the Shenmue III at its E3 stage even had Yu Suzuki at their E3 2015 stage and not only are they not funding the game, they can't be bothered to publish game either.

Shameful on SONY's part

Not sure why Sony would publish a game that's coming out on PC at the same time. That doesn't change the fact that they did that thing on stage though which is still weird. Just to get emotions out of people with that year of E3 anyway with FF7R and this.

I know people are going to link me things like Helldivers on Steam but that came out later.

Ban Puncher

Yu Suzuki should say "Okay peace nerds", cancel Shenmue 3 and jump into his Ferrari and drive off towards the blue, blue skies.

lupinko

Shameful on SONY's part

There wouldn't be a PC version if it was a full Sony game. And Yu Suzuki has a French company partner involved as well. Sony did help but probably only in forms of other support like help with PS4 development.

Shenmue III is still a big gamble, be happy that it's made it this far.

And yes I did back this game.

ianpm31

Same.

Yep and Choubu does looks insanely good. First time we finally got a look at it

There wouldn't be a PC version if it was a full Sony game. And Yu Suzuki has a French company partner involved as well. Sony did help but probably only in forms of other support like help with PS4 development.

Shenmue III is still a big gamble, be happy that it's made it this far.

And yes I did back this game.

Monaco, not France :p

Top Bottom