• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shift 2 EA Comparison Video (Forza 3 & GT5)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
saladine1 said:
I agree, 30fps is absolutely fine.
Dirt, PGR, F1 2010 all play brilliantly.
Try saying that after you play a near perfect IQ with 60fps on PC. Some racers may work. More sim oriented games like this need it.

zoukka

nib95 said:
No, but you need to make exceptional finite adjustments to control to shave off not seconds, but mili seconds all too often.

Which still is a gradual and a steady process. This is not F-Zero.

dankir

Revolutionary said:
So basically what makes it the most "authentic, true-to-life racing experience" is the amount of screen shake and dashboard blur?

That's the Helmet cam and I think it does a fantastic job of creating the sense of speed, G forces and so on.

Looks much more hectic than GT5 ( which I own and play regularly ) Can't wait to get my hand on Shift 2 and pair it up with my G25 :)

Ranger X

I find this quite unrealistic actually. GT5 win hands down and Forza second.
Thing is, when YOU are in a car, it's not like a camera is in a car. A camera isn't articulated and "soft" like a body, it doesn't absord shaking and movement like a real body does. Therefore, when you look at the cockpit view in real life at the beginning, this is FAR from the feeling a driver is having. It shakes and moves ALOT more than what you feel in reality.

Right now, Shift 2 appears to be a moving and shaking a bit too much. The head turning is also quite unrealistic as it's the driver eyes that is doing the most part of the job in real life and not head movement.

Further more, when you drive, YOU decide where you look. Shift 2 imposes to the player that "where to look". This makes the game the game actually less immersive and realistic than a game that let's you look where you want. In a turn in Shift2, because of the the movement and the imposed view angle, I feel the traction of car much less and since I feel obliged to look in certain direction, this probably affect my global vision and also the spatial vision of my car dimensions. In GT5 per example, I can feel EXACTLY when I am about to lose traction and I can precisely calculate my car space on the road --- wich makes it more a realistic experience.

jergrah

Im looking forward to it and loved the sense of speed from cockpit view in the original Shift. Ive dumped more than 40 hours into both Forza 3 and GT5 and the one thing Shift got right over those 2, especially GT5, is the sense of tenseness in races. GT5 career path is the same as it ever was (upgrade the shit out of your car, play bumper cars through the first 2 turns and then smoke the competition). Forza 3 did a much better job at providing exciting races (at times) than GT5, but I think Shift is better in that regard than either.

In my opinion of course....Im not trying to knock any of the games, as I quite enjoy all of the above and am still playing GT5 regularly and still go back to Forza 3 once or twice a month as well.

dankir

Ranger X said:
Thing is, when YOU are in a car, it's not like a camera is in a car. A camera isn't articulated and "soft" like a body, it doesn't absord shaking and movement like a real body does. Therefore, when you look at the cockpit view in real life at the beginning, this is FAR from the feeling a driver is having. It shakes and moves ALOT more than what you feel in reality.

Right now, Shift 2 appears to be a moving and shaking a bit too much. The head turning is also quite unrealistic as it's the driver eyes that is doing the most part of the job in real life and not head movement.

Further more, when you drive, YOU decide where you look. Shift 2 imposes to the player that "where to look". This makes the game the game actually less immersive and realistic than a game that let's you look where you want. In a turn in Shift2, because of the the movement and the imposed view angle, I feel the traction of car much less and since I feel obliged to look in certain direction, this probably affect my global vision and also the spatial vision of my car dimensions. In GT5 per example, I can feel EXACTLY when I am about to lose traction and I can precisely calculate my car space on the road --- wich makes it more a realistic experience.

I think that's totally dependent on the camera location.

The helmet cam assumes the drivers eyes are the camera, If the camera was mounted to the seat then the view would be different. By the way there are other cameras in Shift 2.

I think GT5 is worst of three actually because the cockpit view is from the drivers perspective and the problem I've always had in all GT games is you just don't feel like you're going very fast. It's all very rigid, which is fine and I think for certain people it works but this still looks very cool.

cakefoo

dankir said:
That's the Helmet cam and I think it does a fantastic job of creating the sense of speed, G forces and so on.
With all the helmet wobbling bullshit you can't gauge the connection of the car and the pavement. Instead you get just an exaggerated head to neck attachment.

Fortunately for Shift players, shift's physics are not realistic enough for that to matter.

dankir said:
I won't disagree with that, but it's far from "authentic" or "true to life". In fact, I'd call it the definition of artificial: your eyes aren't the Helmet cam.
Sure, EA seems to be doing a decent job at recreating what you watch on TV through the Helmet cam (with the addition of postprocessing to give the artificial sense of speed, of course), but when I'm playing a racing game, I like to think that I'm the driver and watching from the eyes of the driver - not the Helmet cam (see Ranger X's post on how the Helmet cam is not the same as seeing it from your eyes).

Oh I concur with the argument that racing games don't need 30fps. It's much easier insi-like racing games to process changes and react to it. Much less so in games with twitch gameplay.

dankir said:

Looks much more hectic than GT5 ( which I own and play regularly ) Can't wait to get my hand on Shift 2 and pair it up with my G25 :)

Shift 1 also had the whole immersion thing going on. It caused me to be disconnected with what happened on the screen. The clunky physics didn't help it either.

rvy

Banned
BACKFIRAN

I love fierce competition, even if it doesn't make sense. Both Forza and GT could take a note or two from the first SHIFT. This new camera is pretty awful though.

bee

pc games can be tweaked which renders half the whine in this thread moot to me, couldn't care less about the console version. the pc version of the original shift is still to this day the best looking racer out there bar none and actually with that overhaul 2.0 mod drives quite well too so i'm definitely picking this one up too, although i can't say that the default setup for this looks very good much like the original but its still looks like a fun arcade game

That video backfired so bad, lol. This whole shit reminds of forza 3 devs spewing rubbish. If you think your game is better then let the fans and potential new buyers decide, when a huge corpration like EA does something like this it shows there desperation.

CozMick

Banned
GTP_Daverytimes said:
That video backfired so bad, lol. This whole shit reminds of forza 3 spewing rubbish. If you think your game is better then let the fans and potential new buyers decide, when a huge corpration like EA does something like this it shows there desperation.

Desperation and flat out manipulation, it stinks

offshore

The more times I see it the more I conclude that the effect is well overdone. If GT ever started doing that I'd get annoyed. There have to be other (and better) things you can do to give the effect of racing, without the dashboard bluring up and the camera dancing around like it's on LSD.

Another thing I have noticed in shift 2 is every time the driver stuck his foot down the drivers head was launched 50 yards behind, racing cars have head rests you know.

Also the what feels like 90 degree fov is both nice and weird, I am all for a better fov in driving games but seeing so much of the passenger seat is odd to me right now.

Seriously though the drivers head / the car is leaping around like a rabit in heat at the end of the video, every single time the driver accelerates.

If they really did focus on sim physics this time around they've got it made. But that's a big *if*.

The graphics are gorgeous, the sense of speed is unmatched and the cockpit view communicates danger and adrenaline. The game systems are also more approachable - its easier to make money, you have plenty of choice on how to progress through campaign events, and you get feedback on various aspects of your driving style and how well you know a track (speaking of Shift 1 here).

IF the physics are simulation, and you prefer a cockpit view and a sense of danger at high speed there is no better racer out there.

Loudninja said:
Whats with all that shaking?
Unlike other racing games where the camera is attached to the car, the camera in shift is from the perspective of the driver's helmet. So the shaking isn't necessarily the car, its the driver's relative body movements. This helps to communicate the car's suspension and weight shift during acceleration, braking and turns.

CozMick

Banned
NullPointer said:
Unlike other racing games where the camera is attached to the car, the camera in shift is from the perspective of the driver's helmet. So the shaking isn't necessarily the car, its the driver's relative body movements. This helps to communicate the car's suspension and weight shift during acceleration, braking and turns.

But for a video game it looks like utter shit.

Having the game choose what you can and can't see while in cockpit view is just plain wrong.

The bluriness and fov changes need to go.

offshore said:
The more times I see it the more I conclude that the effect is well overdone. If GT ever started doing that I'd get annoyed. There have to be other (and better) things you can do to give the effect of racing, without the dashboard bluring up and the camera dancing around like it's on LSD.
even if it was just an option for those that wanted it?

saladine1

CozMick said:
But for a video game it looks like utter shit.

Having the game choose what you can and can't see while in cockpit view is just plain wrong.

The bluriness and fov changes need to go.
While I agree that the G-Forces are over done you can still choose to play in the traditional cockpit view if the blur is really shitting you..

Ranger X said:

Isn't that the whole point of the helmet cam (which is not the cockpit cam)?

Also I don't know about you, but when I'm driving on twisty roads, its most certainly my head moving to see what's ahead. My eyes don't trace the road independently while my head is rigidly fixed. danklr has mentioned that there are other views as well, such as cockpit that fixes everything, so you can turn off the experience.

As for the amount the helmet cam moves when taking bends, the bends are taken at ridiculous speeds that greatly exceed normal driving. Your body will be thrown about and affect your line of sight. I think it looks bad on most videos because the player is often using a pad and putting in analogue inputs. I'll admit I haven't seen a low speed corner so cannot comment on how movement appears in those situations.

Despite what I've said I am not a fan. It's way too distracting and it's going to make it more difficult to tell if your tyres are slipping. Unlike actual driving you can't feel the vehicle, so you pretty much have to rely on force feedback, sounds and visuals.

saladine1 said:
While I agree that the G-Forces are over done you can still choose to play in the traditional cockpit view if the blur is really shitting you..
That and there are HUD elements that you can select. You don't need to look down at your dashboard gauges to see whats going on.

mil6es

saladine1 said:
Despite all these complaints SHIFT 2 will end up being the best racer yet!

how???

people said that about Shift 1 and it turned out to be a buggy game with horrible physics

offshore

plagiarize said:
even if it was just an option for those that wanted it?
No, I suppose if they introduced helmet cam as another interior option I wouldn't have a problem. But I mean I don't want to them try anything on the main cockpit cam, just leave it as is.
saladine1 said:
Despite all these complaints SHIFT 2 will end up being the best racer yet!
We said that about GT5 and look how that turned out; even if it was the emphatically broken game design that was largely the problem.

Ranger X

dankir said:
I think that's totally dependent on the camera location.

The helmet cam assumes the drivers eyes are the camera, If the camera was mounted to the seat then the view would be different. By the way there are other cameras in Shift 2.

I think GT5 is worst of three actually because the cockpit view is from the drivers perspective and the problem I've always had in all GT games is you just don't feel like you're going very fast. It's all very rigid, which is fine and I think for certain people it works but this still looks very cool.

I thought this was the cockpit view. My mistake. They should have specified it's the Helmet cam. I will obviously not play with the helmet cam since I don't like it. I think however that it makes their video comparison even more a moot point since it's not even comparing cockpit views...

Why aren't this developers going the route of headtracking instead of this nonsense, GT5 really did perfect headtrack *(console headtracking mind you. its still far from TrackIR accuracy) unfortunately it was useless because it was only in arcade mode. Can't EA implement headtracking via the eye camera? and like someone mensioned above our body are not stiff as a camera to shake violently. besides racers are strapped in. In that shift video the driver is being thrown around like a teddy bear.

saladine1

mil6es said:
how???

people said that about Shift 1 and it turned out to be a buggy game with horrible physics
As i've said, physics is very subjective. To some it might feel right, to others if feels wrong.
I play with a Fanatec wheel ,clubsport pedals and Rennsport stand and I haven't felt a better racing experience than SHIFT. It's intense. Coupled with the cockpit immersion, the works conversion upgrades and the fine tuning of parts, it really is something special with the potential for even better things for the next game.
SMS have to make sure that there's no weird bugs like the steering lock bug which the first game had until they patched it.

Top Bottom