• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto, Prince of Asturias Award for Communication and Humanities

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
approval-people-clapping.gif

stalker

wow, very suprising. He had been a finalist before. I always thought the man would deserve this prize but now that it has happened I am really surprised.

lherre

Accurate
BIG NEWS guys.

Shigeru Miyamoto has been awarded the Principe de Asturias Prize here in Spain in the Comunication and Humanity cathegory.

This was the third time he was nominated

Maybe you don't know this but this prizes are globally considered the second most important prizes in the world after the Nobel Prize

1337762474_0.jpg

http://www.fpa.es/en/

http://tecnologia.elpais.com/tecnologia/2012/05/23/actualidad/1337762210_818458.html
http://www.elmundo.es/
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/05/23/navegante/1337762474.html

Front news evrywhere in Spain.

I can't open a thread because I'm junior member yet maybe some of you can do it.

To extend the info in the OP.

Congrats !!

SGRU

Congratulations! Well deserved price, the most prestigious here in Spain and one of the most in the world.

Prince of Asturias Award for Communication and Humanities: to the individual, institution or group of individuals or institutions whose creative work or research in humanistic activities as a whole or in relation to the social communication media, within the framework of the sciences and disciplines that both activities comprise, represents a significant contribution to universal culture.

Didn't know about that award, so I had to look it up.

Yager

Banned
Really nice. Now go and make Wii Music 2.

Just kidding. He totally deserves it, probably videogames industry wouldn't have gotten where it is without him.

Khrno

RS7WZ.gif

Very happy for Miyamoto.

Is this the first time someone from the industry receives the Principe de Asturias award?

alcabcucu

Shigeru Miyamoto, father of acclaimed videogame franchises such as Super Mario Bros. or The Legend of Zelda, has been awarded with the pretigious spanish Príncipe de Asturias Award for Communications and Humanities.

The award is bestowed to the individual, institution or group or individuals or institutions whose creative work or research in humanistic activities as a whole or in relation to the social communication media, within the framework of the sciences and disciplines that both activities comprise, represents a significant contribution to universal culture.

The ceremony is celebrated in mid october and Miyamoto will receive the prize in Oviedo. The prince of Spain will give it in person to him. The ceremony will be broadcasted for the whole world via different channels.

These awards are not only well known in Spain, but in Europe and the whole world itself, and they have progressively grown in importance since their creation in 1980. Other personalities who have received the prize in the past are Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Woody Allen, Pedro Almodóvar, Norman Foster, Nelson Mandela, Al Gore, Günther Grass, Paul Auster, Howard Gardner, Umberto Eco and even Google, among many others.

More info about the award: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Príncipe_de_Asturias_Prize

MYE

RS7WZ.gif

Very happy for Miyamoto.

Is this the first time someone from the industry receives the Principe de Asturias award?

I think so

Communications and Humanities

1981: María Zambrano
1982: Mario Bunge
1983: El País newspaper
1984: Claudio Sánchez Albornoz
1985: José Ferrater Mora
1986: O Globo
1987: El Espectador newspaper and El Tiempo newspaper
1988: Horacio Sáenz Guerrero
1989: Fondo de Cultura Económica and Pedro Laín Entralgo
1990: José Simeón Cañas University
1991: Luis María Anson
1992: Emilio García Gómez
1993: Revista Vuelta by Octavio Paz
1994: Spanish Missions in Rwanda and Burundi
1995: José Luis López Aranguren and EFE Agency
1996: Indro Montanelli and Julián Marías
1997: CNN and Václav Havel
1998: Reinhard Mohn and Somaly Mam
1999: Instituto Caro y Cuervo
2000: Umberto Eco
2001: George Steiner
2002: Hans Magnus Enzensberger
2003: Ryszard Kapuściński and Gustavo Gutiérrez Merino
2004: Jean Daniel
2005: Alliance française, Società Dante Alighieri, British Council, Goethe-Institut, Instituto Cervantes, Instituto Camões
2006: National Geographic Society
2007: Nature and Science journals
2008: Google
2009: National Autonomous University of Mexico
2010: Alain Touraine and Zygmunt Bauman
2011: Royal Society
2012: Shigeru Miyamoto

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To quote the early 21st century philosopher Dr Random e3 Attendee PhD, "You da man! YOU DA MAN! WOOOOOOOOOO!".

lherre

Accurate
The price has different categories (sports, art, communication and humanities, international cooperation, scientific research, etc).

And answering someone here, no, it's not called "prince" XD

sphinx

the piano man
very interesting choice from the organization, and really glad to see an exceptional video game creator get the award.

would miyamoto be the #1 ranked game creator in the history of VGs going by sales of his games and by quantity of games produced?

CaVaYeRo

Gamelab presented this three years in a row. I'm glad it's finally done. Some jury member said these things "separate kids from books" first year.

Official Gamelab PR:

Shigeru Miyamoto, candidato propuesto por Gamelab, gana el Premio Príncipe de Asturias de Comunicación y Humanidades

Considerado el padre del videojuego moderno, ha estado detrás de todas las revoluciones tecnológicas y creativas que han permitido la expansión global del ocio interactivo, promoviendo modos de juego que han puesto de manifiesto la potencia del videojuego como activador mental, físico y social

El diseñador y productor de videojuegos más influyente la historia, Shigeru Miyamoto, ha sido elegido hoy ganador del Premio Príncipe de Asturias de la Comunicación y Humanidades 2012. La candidatura ha sido presentada por Gamelab, la Feria Internacional del Videojuego y el Ocio Interactivo, que se celebra en Barcelona.

Iván Fernández Lobo, Director de Gamelab y Presidente de la Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Interactivas, ha declarado al recibir la noticia: "Estamos muy orgullosos de haber impulsado este importante reconocimiento para el mundo del videojuego. Hoy es un día histórico para la Fundación y los Premios. El anuncio de este galardón supone un impulso importante para la cultura digital en España y en el mundo, pues serán los creadores de videojuegos como Miyamoto los que inspiren los modelos de comunicacion del siglo XXI. Gracias a su influencia, hablar de videojuegos hoy en día es hablar de comunicación global, de una forma de expresión tan potente y democrática que, lejos de contradecirse con las ya existentes, las ha absorbido y mejorado a través del lenguaje de la interacción".

"Propusimos la candidatura de Miyamoto porque consideramos que era el máximo exponente de una genial generación de creadores interactivos, que concibe el videojuego como un nuevo medio, capaz de unir a las personas en torno a una experiencia compartida, sin distinción de edad, sexo, condición social o cultura".

Por otro lado, el asesor de Gamelab y uno de los creadores más reconocidos de España, Gonzo Suárez, subraya que "en las últimas décadas, Miyamoto ha estado detrás de todas las revoluciones tecnológicas y creativas que han permitido la expansión global del ocio interactivo, promoviendo modos de juego que han puesto de manifiesto la potencia del videojuego como activador mental, físico y social".

Nacido en Kyoto (Japón) en 1952, Shigeru Miyamoto ha revolucionado en ocasiones sucesivas el mundo de los videojuegos al traspasar una y otra vez los límites técnicos y creativos vigentes hasta el momento. Escogido como uno de los personajes más influyentes del mundo por la revista Time y distinguido con la Legión de Honor francesa o el BAFTA de la Academia Británica, su carrera se ha caracterizado también por excluir de sus creaciones el recurso a la violencia y ha conseguido que las mujeres y personas de mayor edad se incorporen al mundo del ocio interactivo.

elasturiasde_428811.jpg

Como siempre ocurre con las grandes ocasiones, Miyamoto aterrizó en Nintendo un poco por casualidad, nada más acabar la carrera de Arquitectura: su padre era amigo del presidente de la compañía, Hishi Yamauchi, que le hizo un hueco como artista. Después de unos años de formación, recibió el encargo de diseñar para el mercado de Estados Unidos una máquina de arcade (de monedas) sobre las aventuras de Popeye. Sin embargo, el juego se truncó por un problema de derechos, pero eso no detuvo a Miyamoto, que había ideado una fórmula rompedora: un hombre bajito y bigotudo que trataba de salvar a una chica de las garras de Donkey Kong. Pese a los recelos iniciales, aquella recreativa rompió moldes y obtuvo un éxito sin igual.

Desde su creación, Mario se ha convertido en la franquicia más exitosa de la historia del sector, con más de 450 millones de videojuegos vendidos y se ha convertido en un icono planetario. Una encuesta de 1987 ya situó a Mario como el personaje de ficción más popular para los niños estadounidenses, por delante de Mickey Mouse.

Pero Mario es mucho más: fue el primer personaje en desplazarse libremente por la pantalla (1980), el primero que introdujo el desplazamiento lateral de la cámara (1987) y el primero en moverse en un entorno tridimensional (1993). La obra de Miyamoto está considerada como la más decisiva de su disciplina. Según la web Gamerankings, cuatro de los cinco mejores juegos de la historia llevan su firma.

Como todos los grandes visionarios, la inspiración Miyamoto surge de su entorno más cercano. Así, se fijó en los bosques que rodeaban su casa y cuyas grutas fueron escenario de sus juegos infantiles para crear la saga Zelda, uno de los juegos más laureados en la historia del sector. El mismo método sirvió para ir incorporando en los casi 200 videojuegos que ha creado elementos de la narración cinematográfica: el travelling, el uso de planos, la música...

De su capacidad de observación proviene también la desaparición del techo de cristal de los videojuegos: la edad y el sexo. Al darse cuenta de cómo los jugadores no sólo manejaban el joystick, sino de cómo se movían con él, Miyamoto discurrió el mando de la Wii. Gracias a su interactividad intuitiva, ha logrado que las mujeres se incorporen al mundo de los videojuegos. Además, con algunos lanzamientos para Nintendo DS como Brain Training ha conseguido también que las personas de mayor edad no sólo se asomen al ocio interactivo, sino que disfruten de él.

Su visión y la fuerza comunicativa de su obra han hecho que publicaciones como The New York Times le hayan declarado heredero de Walt Disney y le consideren entre las mentes más brillantes de la Historia, o que creadores como Steven Spielberg hayan buscado su colaboración para dar el salto de sus producciones al mundo interactivo.

El Premio Príncipe de Asturias de la Comunicación y Humanidades fue creado en 1981 para distinguir "a la persona, grupo de personas o institución cuya labor creadora o de investigación represente una aportación relevante a la cultura universal en esos campos". La primera galardonada fue la escritora María Zambrano y desde entonces se ha fijado en personalidades e instituciones como el historiador Claudio Sánchez Albornoz, los periodistas Indro Montanelli o Ryszard Kapuściński, medios de comunicación como el diario El País, la agencia Efe, la cadena de televisión CNN, o el buscador de Internet Google.

stalker

The official ceremony should be in late October, most probably on the 19th or the 26th. All the awarded are usually present and some give a speech.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gamelab presented this three years in a row. I'm glad it's finally done. Some jury member said these things "separate kids from books" first year.

Official Gamelab PR:

I don't understand any of that, but nonetheless it looks totally awesome!

Heh, the man is a legend alright.

Tildom

Banned
The news has blown my mind this morning XD

It's amazing that finally Miyamoto - san have won this well deserved award. I just hope he could take in hand and see him in Oviedo this october.

The award is not attached to any disctintion name, is named Príncipe de Asturias because that's the honorific name of the heir prince in Spain and these are his awards (it's a "young" award, they started to delivered when the prince was a child). Tey're not the Nobel, but they're important international awards too :)

Congratulations, Miyamoto - san.

guit3457

Maybe he'll use the visit to present the WiiU in Spain also.

I live near Oviedo too and Im just making plans to go there XD

Usually, the winners spend 3-4 days in the country giving lectures or interviews before the day of the awards. I guess Nintendo Spain will host some kind of event.

Leonsito

I live near Oviedo too and Im just making plans to go there XD

Usually, the winners spend 3-4 days in the country giving lectures or interviews before the day of the awards. I guess Nintendo Spain will host some kind of event.

I hope so, Nintendo has to do some kind of event or speech, last years some winners gave some Q&A sessions too in Aviles or Gijon, it would be great.

Spanish GAF represent!

Congrats to Miyamoto for getting the Principe de Asturias prize at last (I think he was nominated 3 times before).
I hope he comes here to get the prize so some lucky people living near can see him.

Indyana

Spanish GAF assembly, nice.

It's wonderful that Miyamoto won this price. It will make videogames more mainstream and we will forget vintage news.

Iceberg

I will make the joke so it's the last one it's made.

Sorry, Miyamoto-san, but the award is in another castle.

Congratulations! ¡Enhorabuena!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if he's gonna personally be there... hell, I wonder if he has already heard that he won an award.

NeoRausch

Well he won't get an award for beeing turtle friendly. :3

congrats! Wasn't he awarded with something alike one or two years ago?

Iceberg

I wonder if he's gonna personally be there... hell, I wonder if he has already heard that he won an award.

From Nintendo ES site:

http://www.nintendo.es/NOE/es_ES/ne...por_el_premio_principe_de_asturias_49658.html

"Me siento muy honrado al conocer la noticia de que he sido elegido para recibir el premio Príncipe de Asturias de la Comunicación y Humanidades", ha declarado Shigeru Miyamoto. "La labor de crear videojuegos es en gran medida un trabajo en equipo y por este motivo me siento enormemente agradecido por haber sido elegido para recibir este ilustre premio. Como consecuencia, me gustaría recibir este premio en representación de mis amigos y compañeros, con los que he creado videojuegos a lo largo de mi carrera.

En el futuro, continuaré esforzándome para que los videojuegos sean capaces de ofrecer de manera continuada diversión y alegría a personas de todas las generaciones y en todo el mundo".

He feels very honored for this award and he would like to receive it in representation of his friends and colleagues. So he implies he will receive the award personally in Oviedo, Spain next October.

MYE

Well he won't get an award for beeing turtle friendly. :3

congrats! Wasn't he awarded with something alike one or two years ago?

Lazy copy/paste from from his Wiki page
In 1998, Miyamoto was honored as the first person inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame.[88] In 2006, Miyamoto was made a Chevalier (knight) of the French Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French Minister of Culture Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres.
On November 28, 2006, Miyamoto was featured in TIME Asia's "60 Years of Asian Heroes," alongside Hayao Miyazaki, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Bruce Lee and the Dalai Lama.[90] He was later chosen as one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of the Year in both 2007[91] and also in 2008, in which he topped the list with a total vote of 1,766,424.
At the Game Developers Choice Awards, on March 7, 2007, Miyamoto received the Lifetime Achievement Award "for a career that spans the creation of Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda to the company's recent revolutionary systems, Nintendo DS and Wii."[93] Both GameTrailers and IGN placed Miyamoto first on their lists for the "Top Ten Game Creators" and the "Top 100 Game Creators of All Time" respectively.[94][95]
He was made a Fellow of BAFTA at the British Academy Video Games Awards on March 19, 2010.[98] In 2012, Miyamoto was also the first interactive creator to be awarded the highest recognition in the Spanish-speaking world, the Prince of Asturias Award, in the category of Communications and Humanities.[99][100]

RE lover

Of course he knows he's won the award, in fact he's already showed his gratitude for it, also in the name of all the team who work together with him

MYE

First knighthood in France and now this. Miyamoto will soon be the supreme leader of Europe.

Portugal will offer him a gift basket of codfish, prosciutto and port wine. Our most illustrious award.

edit: and an autographed, color picture of Cristiano Ronaldo, of course.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As much as i admire Miyamoto, why does the article in the OP link says

In 1996, he marked another milestone with Super Mario 64, the first game made entirely in 3D

Pretty sure Mario 64 isn't the first 3D game.

Never thought it'd happen after some judge said that games separate kids from books. Congrats, Miyamoto!

Man, if somehow Nintendo Ibérica manages to organize a Miyamoto iDÉAME Maestro... A man can dream!

Top Bottom