• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto, Prince of Asturias Award for Communication and Humanities

The Boat

Portugal will offer him a gift basket of codfish, prosciutto and port wine. Our most illustrious award.

edit: and an autographed, color picture of Cristiano Ronaldo, of course.
And the secret to growing an amazing and manly mustache.

linko9

Also, let it be known that he invented the Wii, which is important for being wireless (according to El Pais). Always funny to read mainstream news outlets' videogame related articles.

Congrats to the man, lawd knows he deserves it.

mantidor

very interesting choice from the organization, and really glad to see an exceptional video game creator get the award.

would miyamoto be the #1 ranked game creator in the history of VGs going by sales of his games and by quantity of games produced?

Not to mention the quality of the games, which are among, if not the best, critically acclaimed games of all time.

-KRS-

Wii Music, a music composition game that has become the most popular tool for teaching this subject and which is now used in schools around the world

Really? I've never heard of that before.

Oh well, he deserves the award either way. :)

stalker

Can this award be given posthumously? If so, I'm surprised Walt Disney hasn't received one, for similar reasons to Miyamoto.

No. It can go to both individuals and institutions or other types of organizations, but candidates cannot be presented posthumously.

Just came from watching the afternoon news of Antena 3, he was also mentioned there. They got right the Mario 64 achivement, but they were showing Super Mario galaxy lol.

Can this award be given posthumously? If so, I'm surprised Walt Disney hasn't received one, for similar reasons to Miyamoto.

Walt would have got it if this prizes have not been created in the 80's.

Beated!

Portugal will offer him a gift basket of codfish, prosciutto and port wine. Our most illustrious award.

edit: and an autographed, color picture of Cristiano Ronaldo, of course.

I nearly lost it ith the edit lol

Smellycat

Congratulations!!! He definitely deserves it after everything he has done for the gaming industry. As shown, his work even extends beyond that.

gerudoman

It surprises me that here in Spain all the media only refers him as the creator of Super Mario Bros, I thought Zelda was quite popular here and one of the most known among the media...

massoluk

Banned
Well deserved. As mentioned before his Keynote years before, he's no Spielberg of video game, he's more than that. No other industry has such a single influential figure.

onilink88

scaled.php

Well deserved.

Indyana

It surprises me that here in Spain all the media only refers him as the creator of Super Mario Bros, I thought Zelda was quite popular here and one of the most known among the media...
Mario is more popular than Link in Spain. Just look at the sales.

Well deserved. As mentioned before his Keynote years before, he's no Spielberg of video game, he's more than that. No other industry has such a single influential figure.

Lol fucking wat?
You know what you said its pretty stupid no?
One name:
Walt Disney.

And of course he is not the spielberg of videogaming, spielberg is only one of the many great directors of Hollywood, he would be more akin to the Walt Disney of videogames, BUT Walt Disney still did MUCH MORE for many mediums (not only animation) that changed totally the vision of the world about them. He was one of the most influential people of the 20th century for fucks sake.

gerudoman

Mario is more popular than Link in Spain. Just look at the sales.

I know, but since TloZ is one of the most respected series and Skyward received a lot of publicity in here I thought they were at least going to mention it. I guess this is better than attribute him the creation of some games he didn't as it's usually done XD

massoluk

Banned
Lol fucking wat?
You know what you said its pretty stupid no?
One name:
Walt Disney.

And of course he is not the spielberg of videogaming, spielberg is only one of the many great directors of Hollywood, he would be more akin to the Walt Disney of videogames, BUT Walt Disney still did MUCH MORE for many mediums (not only animation) that changed totally the vision of the world about them. He was one of the most influential people of the 20th century for fucks sake.

I was quoting someone else -_-, and you may have missed the point entirely. Fine, so he's the Walt Disney of Videogame. Bleh, semantic, damn you slightly enthusiastic hyperbole.

Lethality

Miyamoto. The Man. The Myth. The Legend. Congrats, Miyamoto! Truly well deserved.

Nintendo needs to make a game featuring Miyamoto and his epic adventures. I'd day one that shit.

Top Bottom