• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

So i've come across a video that gives some of the lyrics to Fierce Battle in Nocturne.

I've seen different lyrics for Nocturne's songs before, so I won't trust any of them completely unless Atlus fesses up. Some of the ones in this video sound way off to me.

I thought I should at least post the lyrics I've always seen listed for Fierce Battle:

I am heaven above and outside you
I have your back to the wall
Survived with the fall of grace
Drink of the wine of the wrath of god

One more god rejected
I am heaven above and outside you
One more god rejected
I have your back to the wall
One more god rejected
Survived with the fall of grace
Thou shall not oppose the wrath of god

And the part of the song the video lists:

Here, this one has been brought to him
For the open moment, do you aid Lucifer, do you?
Thou were not supposed to abuse any of this power, heretic!
I have never been your enemy
Do you aid Lucifer, do you?

Always liked this interpretation because it fits the game's story (you can reject three gods and their alignments) and because it sounds like Metatron is yelling at the protagonist. I always kind of imagine that SMT!Metatron has no indoor voice.

Idk how many playthroughs I'll give it since I still have a big SMT backlog to work through, but I'm determined to get the
true ending at the least. If there is a true ending.

There isn't, really. The "True Demon" ending people talk about isn't a "true ending," it's just called that to distinguish it from the "Demon" ending. The
True Demon
ending is the one you want if you want all the story, though.

There isn't, really. The "True Demon" ending people talk about isn't a "true ending," it's just called that to distinguish it from the "Demon" ending. The
True Demon

Thats basically what I meant lol. I know SMT games don't have true endings, just endings with the most amount of plot. But that's the one I'll try to shoot for.

Thats basically what I meant lol. I know SMT games don't have true endings, just endings with the most amount of plot. But that's the one I'll try to shoot for.

Without going into details, a couple tips about getting that ending, if you want them:

There's some finicky stuff in it you may want a guide for.

and 2.
This ending is very difficult to complete without a Phys build + Pierce.

Without going into details, a couple tips about getting that ending, if you want them:

There's some finicky stuff in it you may want a guide for.

and 2.
This ending is very difficult to complete without a Phys build + Pierce.

Hm. Sounds like something I might want to just do a second playthrough for, assuming Nocturne does have a NG+ feature.

I do have a physical build going for my Demi-fiend because punching demons in the face is something I should always aspire to build.

Hm. Sounds like something I might want to just do a second playthrough for, assuming Nocturne does have a NG+ feature.

You can do it on a first. I did.
And it does have a NG+, but the only things that happen in it are:

1. Compendium carryover
2. Results and prize of the game's like one sidequest carries over

I do have a physical build going for my Demi-fiend because punching demons in the face is something I should always aspire to build.

tePVse3.png

You can do it on a first. I did.
And it does have a NG+, but the only things that happen in it are:

1. Compendium carryover
2. Results and prize of the game's like one sidequest carries over

Just looked up how to get the
TDE.
Doesn't look as convuluted as
guides I've seen to get SMT4's neutral route, but people are saying its the hardest. I guess I'll go for it on a first playthrough then.

Just looked up how to get the
TDE.
Doesn't look as convuluted as
guides I've seen to get SMT4's neutral route, but people are saying its the hardest. I guess I'll go for it on a first playthrough then.

Yeah, it's the hardest.
The game lacks a superboss, leaving the TDE final boss to essentially fill that role. It's a bit awkward because that makes beating a superboss mandatory once you get locked into that ending. Still not too bad as long as you have a Phys build and the skills
Focus
and
Pierce

Edit: Note that the
Pierce
skill is almost like
a prize for landing on the TDE, so you don't need to fret about finding that one.

Meh, mot was a joke. I think the other bosses in the same area gave me more trouble.
The reason that video is like that is it's a clips how of a guy doing a pacifist run. So he only got experience from forced, unskippable battles and avoided all random battles.

I thought I should at least post the lyrics I've always seen listed for Fierce Battle:

And the part of the song the video lists:

Always liked this interpretation because it fits the game's story (you can reject three gods and their alignments) and because it sounds like Metatron is yelling at the protagonist. I always kind of imagine that SMT!Metatron has no indoor voice.

True Demon

"I AM METATRON! HE WHO IS ONE WITH GOD!!!"

I subscribe to that fan theory that each song lyric is sung by a different character. Metraton, Lucifer, Futomimi, and Yuko(?)

Nap1400

Yeah, it's the hardest.
The game lacks a superboss, leaving the TDE final boss to essentially fill that role. It's a bit awkward because that makes beating a superboss mandatory once you get locked into that ending. Still not too bad as long as you have a Phys build and the skills
Focus
and
Pierce

Edit: Note that the
Pierce
skill is almost like
a prize for landing on the TDE, so you don't need to fret about finding that one.
You need to do a lot of grinding and fusion if you want to get
Pierce
on your demons, though.
Thanks, Metatron.

I just got to the Basilica and both Chaos and Law heroes tell me to go meet with the Four Devas, but when I go to the one near Shinjuku, the magic door won't open. Do I need to do something else to open it?

cj_iwakura

I just got to the Basilica and both Chaos and Law heroes tell me to go meet with the Four Devas, but when I go to the one near Shinjuku, the magic door won't open. Do I need to do something else to open it?

I believe this is what you're missing:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHITEN-OU (FOUR KINGS OF HEAVEN), 202X
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To do this bit, you need to have 'Shimon no Gyoku', an item that you get
by beating demon user on 4F of Shinagawa.
The point is that, as you might have picked up from the various
conversations in various towns, there are four Kishins living in the
four ends of Tokyo. Each of them lives in small dungeon that looks
on the overhead map like a red pipe - they are Mansions of East,
West, South and North. Each Mansion has a steel door somewhere inside
it which you normally can open. But, if you have with you 'Shimon no
Gyouku', then in front of each door it will shine. And the door will open
the moment that shine falls upon it.

Any tips on beating
Kenji
in SMTIV? I have a party that will resist or nullify his
Mamudoon
but I feel once he gets halfway down I get major hurt when he starts abusing
Ancient Curse and Conqueror Spirit

I beat it with liberal Terakarn usage.

Any tips on beating
Kenji
in SMTIV? I have a party that will resist or nullify his
Mamudoon
but I feel once he gets halfway down I get major hurt when he starts abusing
Ancient Curse and Conqueror Spirit

I beat it with liberal Terakarn usage.

For future reference,
Ancient Curse will be entirely blocked if you block any part of it. Eg: wear poison nullify accessory = protagonist unaffected by the entire spell.

In (Kyuuyaku) Megami Tensei 1, I went to Rag's shop and traded in a gem for a Thunderbolt.
The party was then struck by lightning and lost a huge chunk of damage, plus I lost my gem.

randomkid

In (Kyuuyaku) Megami Tensei 1, I went to Rag's shop and traded in a gem for a Thunderbolt.
The party was then struck by lightning and lost a huge chunk of damage, plus I lost my gem.

... yeah I totally cheated and reloaded my save there to find out what happens for each trade. No regrets!

It is, but bleh, I don't care for the instruments in the PS1 version. SPC700 goodness please.

Because aesthetic wise, the PSP port of Persona is a garbage remake.

And it's a damn shame too. I do need to seek out that PSX music patch I heard about for the PSP version, it would help a lot.

Refyref

And it's a damn shame too. I do need to seek out that PSX music patch I heard about for the PSP version, it would help a lot.

That patch still doesn't help with half of the soundtrack missing, so you can't patch in some highlights of the original, like Awakening Legend.

Refyref

What do you mean by that?

In the PSP versions, there's only half the number of unique tracks versus the number of tracks in the original. So in some places that the PS1 version has a unique track for that scene/area playing, the PSP version just uses one of the tracks intended for a different time. The biggest example (for me) is Awakening Legend, a special track that only played in the very few battles in which a member awakens their Persona. In the PSP version, it just plays the normal battle music.

Tizoc

In the PSP versions, there's only half the number of unique tracks versus the number of tracks in the original. So in some places that the PS1 version has a unique track for that scene/area playing, the PSP version just uses one of the tracks intended for a different time. The biggest example (for me) is Awakening Legend, a special track that only played in the very few battles in which a member awakens their Persona. In the PSP version, it just plays the normal battle music.

Aha, and there's no way to make it play an alternate track.

Has the OG PSX ver. of th game gotten a fan re-translation by any chance?

randomkid

Yup, less than half the tracks and even of the tracks that remain, all are shorter and more repetitive. I actually figured it out once and you're going from three hours of unique music to about an hour for the remake.

Character themes, dungeon themes, traversal themes, event scene music, all lopped out. Thanks Meguro!

Refyref

Aha, and there's no way to make it play an alternate track.

Has the OG PSX ver. of th game gotten a fan re-translation by any chance?

No, but the reason to play the PSP version over the PSX version is not the translation, but rather the general increased speed of the game, along with cleaning up some of the other inconveniences. And the lack of SQQ in English, although that is something a fan translation can fix.

Yup, less than half the tracks and even of the tracks that remain, all are shorter and more repetitive. I actually figured it out once and you're going from three hours of unique music to about an hour for the remake.

Character themes, dungeon themes, traversal themes, event scene music, all lopped out. Thanks Meguro!

Yes, the tracks that did remain were gutted as well, but that's something you can actually fix with fan-patches.
I'm thankful that P2:IS was better on the music side, but that was a bad remake due to other reasons. :\

Seda

I'm thankful that P2:IS was better on the music side, but that was a bad remake due to other reasons. :\

Why is that? I only played the PSP version, and generally enjoyed it, despite having probably the clunkiest battle system in the series.

randomkid

Why is that? I only played the PSP version, and generally enjoyed it, despite having probably the clunkiest battle system in the series.

I think people complain about the difficulty being nerfed. They might have also increased the encounter rate like they did for P1P.

Refyref

I think people complain about the difficulty being nerfed. They might have also increased the encounter rate like they did for P1P.

Aside from difficulty being nerfed badly and random encounters being way, way higher, the PSP version also suffered from terrible redesigned menus, that while work closer to conventional RPG menus, were way slower. They also had transitions between them that makes them even slower. The fast battle mode is broken compared to P1P, as there's no small hints of animations like there, just prompts appearing, and staying too much time, and when the round is over, the screen turns black and wastes more time. And then, just a small nitpick of mine, the overall look of the interface is less appealing than the PSX version's, and I don't like how they stuck honorifics in the English translations. EDIT: Oh yea, the nice touch of battle music suddenly having an end of battle SFX inserted into them when the battle ended is also gone. :p

Seda

Aside from difficulty being nerfed badly and random encounters being way, way higher, the PSP version also suffered from terrible redesigned menus, that while work closer to conventional RPG menus, were way slower. They also had transitions between them that makes them even slower. The fast battle mode is broken compared to P1P, as there's no small hints of animations like there, just prompts appearing, and staying too much time, and when the round is over, the screen turns black and wastes more time. And then, just a small nitpick of mine, the overall look of the interface is less appealing than the PSX version's, and I don't like how they stuck honorifics in the English translations. EDIT: Oh yea, the nice touch of battle music suddenly having an end of battle SFX inserted into them when the battle ended is also gone. :p

Oh yes, I'm pretty sure the first thing I complained about when playing through the game was the battle interface, so hearing this isn't too surprising haha

cj_iwakura

What Kaneko artbooks are must haves if I mainly want his SMT3 and onwards style?

Digital Devil Apocalypse and Kaneko Works III(good luck with the second).

And P2 IS was already a pretty easy game. The only flaws in the PSP version beyond that are the nerfed final boss, the interface updates(trivial IMO), and the 'Masked Circle'/honorific stuff(minor IMO).

At least they got Michel's name right. That really irked me in Gemini's version.

Refyref

IS was easy until the last part, but not as brain dead as the PSP version, in which all enemies only do a fourth of the damage they originally did, but the party's power wasn't adjusted. Add the much higher encounter rate (you sometimes get battles just by turning!), and you get the easiest game in the series by far, which says something considering P4G. And the interface issues weren't minor, they slowed down the game significantly.
I heard the PSP remake of EP addressed most of these issues, but that one didn't get an English release, obviously.

cj_iwakura

IS was easy until the last part, but not as brain dead as the PSP version, in which all enemies only do a fourth of the damage they originally did, but the party's power wasn't adjusted. Add the much higher encounter rate (you sometimes get battles just by turning!), and you get the easiest game in the series by far, which says something considering P4G. And the interface issues weren't minor, they slowed down the game significantly.
I heard the PSP remake of EP addressed most of these issues, but that one didn't get an English release, obviously.

EP PSP is fantastic. Especially the OP.

Beat the Murzurka Corridor in (Kyuuyaku) Megami Tensei 1, so now I'm in the infamous Rotting Sea of Flames. I haven't dived in but I'm aware of the areas gimmick (
the entire dungeon slowly saps your health
). This will probably be a slog...but at least the dungeon theme is the best one so far. On a related note, I'm now free to listen to yet another amazing arrangement by Hellion Sounds.

Just beat
dante outside of the mantra building. That was pretty incredible and his introduction reminded me so much of the DmC Donte's intro lol. Also climbed up the mantra building and refused that guys invitation to join his group because Demi-Fiend takes orders from fucking no one.

Playing through SMTII, finding the
SMT1 hero statue
in the hall of fame was really cool. I really didn't expect the beginning to be really
light hearted and goofy
with the
disco
and music.
Just beat
dante outside of the mantra building. That was pretty incredible and his introduction reminded me so much of the DmC Donte's intro lol. Also climbed up the mantra building and refused that guys invitation to join his group because Demi-Fiend takes orders from fucking no one.
I'm not sure if this is missable, but did you
find your friend/acquaintance in the jail
? His dialogue seems to be important.

I don't think so...
I talked to Isamu right after the Dante fight
since the demons in the
Mantra building
mentioned him being tossed in jail.
Perhaps the game is more open than I thought. I remember
climbing the the building and fighting Thor, and then going to Nihilo's place and fighting Ose.

I'm not sure if this is missable, but did you
find your friend/acquaintance in the jail
? His dialogue seems to be important.

I checked the
cells on the floor I was locked up in but didn't find anything. I didn't explore the whole place so I might have missed him. I didn't leave Ikebukuro yet so I'll go check the building again.

Top Bottom