• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

So there's a follow-up to that Demi-Fiend/Lyn image from a few years ago.

I hope there's something more to the game, tonally. The city in ruins over a flowing red sea seemed deliberately placed to contrast with everything else shown. It's possible it could tie into the whole multiple realities motif in an interesting way; hopefully resulting in something more nuanced than just the divide between a real and fantasy world they've already talked about.

Worst-case scenario, the ruined Tokyo is actually a scene from a VR MMORPG the protagonist is trapped inside with his loyal little sister.

Demi-Fiend has his hand on Lyn's shoulder, they're totally my new OTP!

...Just trying to keep an open mind about this game :p

So there's a follow-up to that Demi-Fiend/Lyn image from a few years ago.

I hope there's something more to the game, tonally. The city in ruins over a flowing red sea seemed deliberately placed to contrast with everything else shown. It's possible it could tie into the whole multiple realities motif in an interesting way; hopefully resulting in something more nuanced than just the divide between a real and fantasy world they've already talked about.

Worst-case scenario, the ruined Tokyo is actually a scene from a VR MMORPG the protagonist is trapped inside with his loyal little sister.

"Are they Tammy's relatives?" lol

And I'd laugh like mad at the those gloating over the trailer getting rekt by a SMT-level apocalypse and it's cyberpunk demons for hours till credits.

Nimby

Banned
I just noticed a few demons got "modernized" in SMT IV.

MomunofuSMT.jpg
momunofu.png

Also, what's the deal with Sati?

Do you feel like you're getting the hang of the Press Turns, tryagainlater.

Yes, I feel I've got those down now.

I've been playing the shit out of this game today. It's really great. I'm getting better at it but I'm not sure I get fusing. What exactly am I looking for with that stuff? Should I just go for a higher level demon? All the moves from the demons you're fusing carry over so it's not like you need the new demon to learn those moves so I don't really get it yet.

Yes, I feel I've got those down now.

I've been playing the shit out of this game today. It's really great. I'm getting better at it but I'm not sure I get fusing. What exactly am I looking for with that stuff? Should I just go for a higher level demon? All the moves from the demons you're fusing carry over so it's not like you need the new demon to learn those moves so I don't really get it yet.

With the amount of freedom given for fusion in SMT4, moves of other demons aren't quite as important once you start getting sets of moves that you like. It's still nice to try and unlock new moves to get something nice, but your big focus will probably be resistances and stats. You want to make sure the stats match up with the skillset, ie physical skills on physical demons.

To continue my trend of controversial Megaten thoughts, I think the recent trend of going back to both physical and magic attacks using MP/SP is a positive thing. Physical attacks using HP may be a little riskier, but HP is much easier to replenish than SP. You can rely on using heal spells on a more regular basis to replenish HP, while if you do magic attacks you have to use SP for that and still use it to do healing. It almost always makes Physicals the superior option for doing damage besides exploiting weaknesses and occasional enemies with physical resistance.

The problem with that is that without it, like in SMTIV, physical demons are often underpowered, or at least require a lot more micromanagement. Physical focused characters have such a pitiful amount of MP that they constantly need to recharge, and it's not even like Energy Drain is that much of a help for them either because they do no magic damage.

Titanomachia is a great ability, but a physical demon can use it maybe 7 times before running out of MP, a magic based demon can span a ma-dyne about twice that number. Plus they then can use expensive buffs with a lot less opportunity cost as well.

Anyhow, just beat SMIV a few days ago. Neutral ending. Game was pretty easy overall, with the exception of Beelzebub, who pounded my shit into the ground. Story wise I was mostly satisfied, though I still have some questions, is there a good story explanation for it,
I know Flynn has been reincarnated for example, but who was he originally? Also, am I right in that time flows differently in Mikado compared to Tokyo? It seems like less than 75 years has passed in Tokyo, while Mikado appears to have been around for a VERY long time.

I suppose though, it didn't help that I left the game for about a year and a half then came back to it to finally finish her up.

After that I moved on to Soul Hackers, another one I put away for a while. I'm getting towards the end of it, or so I think, but man it is a shame we never got this released in the US. The game is great, there is something about Atlus's 32-bit output that I just adore, the art, the music, the story, it's all so damned good. I love the hell out of the atmosphere in the game, even if the current dungeon I am in makes me want to murder
The Monolith
someone.

I hear there is an extra dungeon in this version, and some NG+ stuff? How does that work?

NeonZ

Anyhow, just beat SMIV a few days ago. Neutral ending. Game was pretty easy overall, with the exception of Beelzebub, who pounded my shit into the ground. Story wise I was mostly satisfied, though I still have some questions, is there a good story explanation for it,
I know Flynn has been reincarnated for example, but who was he originally?
Flynn's previous incarnation was a member of the Counter Demon Force and sacrificed himself alongside Masakado to create the ceiling to protect Tokyo from a nuclear attack. I'm pretty sure that's explained in the neutral route main story itself.

Also, am I right in that time flows differently in Mikado compared to Tokyo? It seems like less than 75 years has passed in Tokyo, while Mikado appears to have been around for a VERY long time.

Yes, I don't think the game explains why, but there's a minor samurai npc who mentions that
after spending some time in Tokyo and then coming back to Mikado he noticed that his kid was older than he should be.

I hear there is an extra dungeon in this version, and some NG+ stuff? How does that work?

The extra dungeon is at the top of the Sea Ark. You need to finish the main story before it opens up. Go there and finish the last boss up there and you can travel back in time and start new game +, which allows you to save a certain character. There's also the other extra dungeon from the main menu.

The problem with that is that without it, like in SMTIV, physical demons are often underpowered, or at least require a lot more micromanagement. Physical focused characters have such a pitiful amount of MP that they constantly need to recharge, and it's not even like Energy Drain is that much of a help for them either because they do no magic damage.

Titanomachia is a great ability, but a physical demon can use it maybe 7 times before running out of MP, a magic based demon can span a ma-dyne about twice that number. Plus they then can use expensive buffs with a lot less opportunity cost as well.

It's worth noting that in SMT4 at least, the Magic stat has no effect on MP growth. All demons have either an HP aligned growth, an MP aligned growth, or a more balanced growth. It is possible that SMT4 gave more high magic demons MP aligned growths, when they probably would have did better to have it be more balanced. That way, they could have Magic using tanks and high powered glass cannon physicals. I would need to look deeper at how the demons are set up in SMT4 to be sure though.

It is true that in most SMT games, the stats are tied together. In this sense I think SMT4 has taken a step in the right direction for trying new things.

Check this out for more stat analysis for SMT4.

Flynn's previous incarnation was a member of the Counter Demon Force and sacrificed himself alongside Masakado to create the ceiling to protect Tokyo from a nuclear attack. I'm pretty sure that's explained in the neutral route main story itself.

Yes, I don't think the game explains why, but there's a minor samurai npc who mentions that
after spending some time in Tokyo and then coming back to Mikado he noticed that his kid was older than he should be.

Ok, now that you mention it, I do remember hearing that about the CDF member. Again, I started the game over a year ago and stopped for a long time, did they ever explain what caused the apocalypse in the first place?

The extra dungeon is at the top of the Sea Ark. You need to finish the main story before it opens up. Go there and finish the last boss up there and you can travel back in time and start new game +, which allows you to save a certain character. There's also the other extra dungeon from the main menu.

Good to know.

Is the extra dungeon similar to the one in P2EP?

It's worth noting that in SMT4 at least, the Magic stat has no effect on MP growth. All demons have either an HP aligned growth, an MP aligned growth, or a more balanced growth. It is possible that SMT4 gave more high magic demons MP aligned growths, when they probably would have did better to have it be more balanced. That way, they could have Magic using tanks and high powered glass cannon physicals. I would need to look deeper at how the demons are set up in SMT4 to be sure though.

It is true that in most SMT games, the stats are tied together. In this sense I think SMT4 has taken a step in the right direction for trying new things.

Check this out for more stat analysis for SMT4.

It may no be linked that way in the math, but pretty much universally high strength demons have crap for MP, even former greats like Metatron are pathetic in that regard. High magic demons on the other had are often swimming in spare MP, and in many ways are better for having physical skills because they can use them more. It also sucks because before high magic demons were bad at using physical skills because their HP sucked along with their stats not being well set up for it. The opposite was true for Physical based demons and magic skills. Here if you are a physical demon you are at a disadvantage, though that can be made up for if you are strong enough to not have to use skills to attack, or are just there to absorb damage.

But what I noticed while playing:

Str/Dx highest, lowest MP
Even stats or high AG, middling MP
High Magic, highest MP

NeonZ

Again, I started the game over a year ago and stopped for a long time, did they ever explain what caused the apocalypse in the first place?

Demons spontaneously started appearing around the world. The demon summoning program is spread around the net, allowing humans to contact and use those demons, but that only seems to make things worse.

Afterwards, there's the reactor's activation, which accidentally opens a portal to the Expanse, allowing legions of demons to come to Earth at once. That leads to heaven's forces descending to save a few chosen ones and also push for a nuclear attack all around the globe to "clean" Earth. Tokyo is protected by Masakado's barrier.

Eventually, the chosen ones from Tokyo return and settle on top of the barrier and create Mikado. Akira, a kid from Tokyo whose sister was taken by the angels as part of the chosen ones of God, but was left behind, goes to the surface, alongside some Counter Demon Force members. They settle there for a while and even leave alongside the "chosen" ones (K's Tavern was created by them), but Akira makes a pact with Mastema, betrays them and sends the others back to underground, closes the pathway to Tokyo with Minotaur and becomes King Akira/Aquilla.

Mastema afterwards uses Aquilla and an army of demons against the Archangels, who were planning to destroy Tokyo while he had different plans. Akira is killed, but the Archangels are defeated and sealed, aside from Gabriel, who's spared. Akira's the one that creates Mikado's samurai and class system, and that's why the Angels destroy his statue and abolish the different classes when they return.

In the Blasted Tokyo, Flynn's previous incarnation sided with the angels, and somehow stopped Masakado from creating the barrier, but he was judged unclean by the angels and killed anyway. In Infernal Tokyo, the demons tell Flynn's previous incarnation and Kenji that the demon invasion itself was God's fault. Everyone unites against the angels and kill them, also somehow stopping the nuclear attacks. However, demons are spread around everywhere and just lead to chaos and in-fighting afterwards. Flynn's previous incarnation is killed by the demons while saving Kenji and Kenji creates the system where everyone either becomes a demon or a nourisher. The "Akira" in Blasted and Infernal Tokyo are alternate versions of Mikado's first king.

After that I moved on to Soul Hackers, another one I put away for a while. I'm getting towards the end of it, or so I think, but man it is a shame we never got this released in the US. The game is great, there is something about Atlus's 32-bit output that I just adore, the art, the music, the story, it's all so damned good. I love the hell out of the atmosphere in the game, even if the current dungeon I am in makes me want to murder
The Monolith
someone.

I've been bouncing between Soul Hackers and SMT1 lately. Soul Hackers has just been delightful, and SMT1 is me slowly chipping away at it.

Soul Hackers' setting and tone are really cool.

I've been playing Soul Hackers and SMT 1 as well (Might as well go in order for the mainline series, so been putting Nocturne off), and I really like managing magnetite. It's really cool that you can actually exchange magnetite for money in Soul Hackers. Are there anymore SMT games that have magnetite management?(Also does anyone else likes it? I don't think I've ever heard of MAG until touching those two)

I've been playing Soul Hackers and SMT 1 as well (Might as well go in order for the mainline series, so been putting Nocturne off), and I really like managing magnetite. It's really cool that you can actually exchange magnetite for money in Soul Hackers. Are there anymore SMT games that have magnetite management?(Also does anyone else likes it? I don't think I've ever heard of MAG until touching those two)
I like MAG management, but I feel I'm in the minority. Most people that mention it see it as a hassle that they can't go balls out all the time. Personally, I rarely even did the often suggested method of just using MC, Nemissa, and the Zoma. I'd usually bring one or two extra demons, and still do fine with mag management (on hard mode at that). Fortunately, non fans have that extra dungeon with the ape that gives out mag like candy.

SMT1 technically has it, but after the early few dungeons, it doesn't really mean anything. Byt the 2nd act of the game, you shouldnt be worrying about MAG at all.

I had heard a lot of negative things about MAG, but I don't mind it in either game so far. I'm more mindful of it in Soul Hackers for sure.

cj_iwakura

Good to know.

Is the extra dungeon similar to the one in P2EP?

Thankfully, no. It's MUCH easier. Five or six assorted floors with tricky gimmicks, but they're very small.

If you've beaten SH, they'll mostly prove pretty easy to kill in a few turns unless they BS you.

The TRUE bosses at the end will absolutely wreck you. I haven't killed them.
Kyouji Kuzunoha, Raidou, then Raido.

Also, I enjoy MAG. Especially exchanging it for macca. Money on tap.

Welp, beat Soul Hackers.

Took longer than I thought, mainly because when I had the last boss in the red I got killed by a second sun because my healer was too slow that particular round. I've really started hating long boss fights, with a passion.

So the ending itself was alright, but I know there are some dungeons, I guess the Sea Ark and the extra dungeon. The extra dungeon is opened up on the main title screen, how do I get to the Sea Ark post game?

cj_iwakura

Welp, beat Soul Hackers.

Took longer than I thought, mainly because when I had the last boss in the red I got killed by a second sun because my healer was too slow that particular round. I've really started hating long boss fights, with a passion.

So the ending itself was alright, but I know there are some dungeons, I guess the Sea Ark and the extra dungeon. The extra dungeon is opened up on the main title screen, how do I get to the Sea Ark post game?

The hotel, top floor.

MAG is only annoying at the beginning of SMT 1 and the very, very beginning of Soul Hackers.

Or if you're an idiot like me and you forget that's a thing you have to manage midway through Soul Hackers's
haunted house
dungeon when you had a full party out. And then run it straight down to zero.

I don't really like MAG.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Or if you're an idiot like me and you forget that's a thing you have to manage midway through Soul Hackers's
haunted house
dungeon when you had a full party out. And then run it straight down to zero.

I don't really like MAG.

How can you forget? It shows it ticking down!

Devil Survivor 1 manga is getting localized

I'm really excited for this release. I really wonder how are they gonna portray the
Beldr
bossfight
I like MAG management, but I feel I'm in the minority. Most people that mention it see it as a hassle that they can't go balls out all the time. Personally, I rarely even did the often suggested method of just using MC, Nemissa, and the Zoma. I'd usually bring one or two extra demons, and still do fine with mag management (on hard mode at that). Fortunately, non fans have that extra dungeon with the ape that gives out mag like candy.

SMT1 technically has it, but after the early few dungeons, it doesn't really mean anything. Byt the 2nd act of the game, you shouldnt be worrying about MAG at all.
Huh, I never knew about that strat. I've been running around with a full party without Zoma for most of the game... I'll start using my Zoma...

MAG is only annoying at the beginning of SMT 1 and the very, very beginning of Soul Hackers.

Interesting opinion. Though I found MAG manageable in SH as mentioned above, it was something I had to work with way longer than I did in SMT1.

Huh, I never knew about that strat. I've been running around with a full party without Zoma for most of the game... I'll start using my Zoma...

Yup, a free demon is definitely a plus. Although I was really terrible with my Zoma's skillset.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Interesting opinion. Though I found MAG manageable in SH as mentioned above, it was something I had to work with way longer than I did in SMT1.

I basically found demons to be pretty useless in SH most of the time. I'd recruit them because well, it's a big part of the game but usually if I felt I needed anything beyond Zoma I'd just throw in a healer or someone with a good elemental spell for that area.

So this seems the best place as any to ask this... In SMTIV, I am just past
Having to choose between Jonathan and Walter to either kill Yuriko or not
and I am wondering how far away from the end I am.

Okay so at my pace I will finish the game in about 100 hours or so. I am already 60 hours into it. Thanks so much. Then I can move on to Soul Hackers.

Golnei

Are the Quantum Devil Saga novels worthwhile at all? I only just now found out about Godai's departure from the games midway through production, which kind of made me curious as to what her version of the scenario would be. I quite liked the premise of the games, but found the execution lacking - if the novels are any better in that regard, I might be interested in them.

Also, watching DDS2's opening again, that massively jarring tonal switch will never not amuse me.

cj_iwakura

It's worth reading. Serph has a personality too, which is interesting.

Heh, I never noticed he used the victim's gun. I thought it was his own.

That's what I've been doing but she always finds a way to destroy me. Minotaur went down pretty easy by just mashing bufu but Medusa just kills me really quick.

Probably the toughest or one of the toughest bosses in the game. You might have to grind for some better demons, especially ones that know Zan. I had a lot of issues with her on my second playthrough.

That's what I've been doing but she always finds a way to destroy me. Minotaur went down pretty easy by just mashing bufu but Medusa just kills me really quick.

Probably the toughest or one of the toughest bosses in the game. You might have to grind for some better demons, especially ones that know Zan. I had a lot of issues with her on my second playthrough.

Second that she's a difficult boss; on my first playthrough the only bosses I had any real issues with were Medusa and (a very late game boss)
Kenji.

Second that she's a difficult boss; on my first playthrough the only bosses I had any real issues with were Medusa and (a very late game boss)
Kenji.

Yeah, on my first playthrough I had a lot of issues with him and the
law final boss second form.

Been playing through Nocturne myself and have already been struggling more with the bosses. Mostly because Matador has been pushing my shit in hard till I finally grinded like 4 levels and beat him.

So i've come across a video that gives some of the lyrics to Fierce Battle in Nocturne.

I've seen different lyrics for Nocturne's songs before, so I won't trust any of them completely unless Atlus fesses up. Some of the ones in this video sound way off to me.

Edit:

Been playing through Nocturne myself and have already been struggling more with the bosses. Mostly because Matador has been pushing my shit in hard till I finally grinded like 4 levels and beat him.

Nocturne has way better boss fights in general. It also has this bullshit.

I've seen different lyrics for Nocturne's songs before, so I won't trust any of them completely unless Atlus fesses up. Some of the ones in this video sound way off to me.

Edit:

Nocturne has way better boss fights in general. It also has this bullshit.

There's already things I like more about Nocturne than SMT4 (as great as SMT 4 is). Though I'll miss the convenience features of SMT4, I'll take coolest MC ever Demi-Fiend in exchange.

And yeah, I saw that video. Maaaaaan I can't wait......

There's already things I like more about Nocturne than SMT4 (as great as SMT 4 is). Though I'll miss the convenience features of SMT4, I'll take coolest MC ever Demi-Fiend in exchange.

And yeah, I saw that video. Maaaaaan I can't wait......

Yeah, I like Nocturne a lot more than SMTIV (see avatar). Currently, SMTIV is the first game I'd knock off my "favourite RPGs" list if something came along to take its spot, whereas Nocturne will probably never get knocked off. Every time I play Nocturne I wish I could apply the new fusion mechanics and the enemy analysis to it, but nearly everything else is more engrossing than IV to me, especially the art.

Ironically, I've seen all of SMTIV's endings but only three of Nocturne's.

Yeah, I like Nocturne a lot more than SMTIV (see avatar). Currently, SMTIV is the first game I'd knock off my "favourite RPGs" list if something came along to take its spot, whereas Nocturne will probably never get knocked off. Every time I play Nocturne I wish I could apply the new fusion mechanics and the enemy analysis to it, but nearly everything else is more engrossing than IV to me, especially the art.

Ironically, I've seen all of SMTIV's endings but only three of Nocturne's.

Just noticed your avatar had demi-fiend markings on it lol.

Doesn't SMT4 only have
3 endings anyway?
I didn't know Nocturne had more than 3.

And there are things I love about SMT4 and I defend some of the problems people have it with it. Its certainly not perfect and from what I've played of Nocturne, not the best mainline SMT game, but still a great RPG on my 3DS that I've poured at least a 100 hours into.

Just noticed your avatar had demi-fiend markings on it lol.

Doesn't SMT4 only have
3 endings anyway?
I didn't know Nocturne had more than 3.

And there are things I love about SMT4 and I defend some of the problems people have it with it. Its certainly not perfect and from what I've played of Nocturne, not the best mainline SMT game, but still a great RPG on my 3DS that I've poured at least a 100 hours into.

SMTIV has
endings. You can keep track of which ones you've seen on the save file; the diamond shapes on the top right fill in with different colours for each ending.

Nocturne has
endings and no way to keep track of which ones you've seen in-game. :(

SMTIV has
endings. You can keep track of which ones you've seen on the save file; the diamond shapes on the top right fill in with different colours for each ending.

Nocturne has
endings and no way to keep track of which ones you've seen in-game. :(

Oh right, I
forgot about that certain ending in SMT4.
Excited to go through Nocturne and see what I get though. Idk how many playthroughs I'll give it since I still have a big SMT backlog to work through, but I'm determined to get the
true ending at the least. If there is a true ending.

Top Bottom