• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - Minor website update (BGM + Dev team)

duckroll

http://megaten4.jp/

I wouldn't normally make a new thread for this, but the old thread is kinda old and really long, so we can continue discussion this way. There's now a music track on the official page, and they're asking fans to look forward to more news. The update confirms that the game is developed by the "Maniacs Team" in Atlus, headed by Kazuyuki Yamai. Yamai is the director of SMT3 Maniacs (but not the original base SMT3, that was Hashino), as well as both Raidou games on the PS2. He is also directing the upcoming Soul Hackers enhanced port on 3DS.

The update confirms that the game is developed by the "Maniacs Team" in Atlus, headed by Kazuyuki Yamai. Yamai is the director of SMT3 Maniacs (but not the original base SMT3, that was Hashino), as well as both Raidou games on the PS2. He is also directing the upcoming Soul Hackers enhanced port on 3DS.

I was assuming/hoping this would be the case, but always good to have confirmation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, the BGM sounds pretty grim... and it's not that faux-epic trash from Strange Journey, so that's nice.

I will echo the "I hope this is third person" sentiment, as well.

randomkid

Why not hope for it to be both third and first person? That way everyone's happy.

Dev team info is great to hear but I really really really really really need to see some Kaneko art.

This BGM is a really promising treat.

I've had it on in the background for a while now, I'll probably leave it until the mounting sense of dread and foreboding gets to be too much.

Does make me wonder where they're going with this instalment though. Is it just a nostalgia thing or are they returning to the same settings as SMT1 (i.e. before the apocalypse)?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why not hope for it to be both third and first person? That way everyone's happy.

Dev team info is great to hear but I really really really really really need to see some Kaneko art.

First person people don't deserve to be happy.

But yeah, they did it with Nocturne, so I suppose they could do it here.

And man, I'm really loving that this game is on the 3DS rather than the DS. So nice to be able to have real instrumentation for dat music.

Well, we've got Etrian Odyssey and Soul Hackers coming out within a couple of months of each other, so I guess we're kind of spoilt already. I certainly wouldn't mind a hat-trick of great first-person dungeon crawlers from Atlus in a short space of time though!

Aeana

But yeah, they did it with Nocturne, so I suppose they could do it here.

And man, I'm really loving that this game is on the 3DS rather than the DS. So nice to be able to have real instrumentation for dat music.
Plenty of DS games gave streamed music. Give FFTA2 a listen.

Snakeyes

birdman-hand-rub.gif

duckroll

Soul Hackers is still quite far away, so I don't think they can do SMT -> SMT2 -> SMT3 in bi-weekly updates. Maybe they're going to go for SMT -> SMT2 -> SMT if -> SMT3 -> SMT SJ for the BGM, and reveal SMT4 the week after that (that'll be the week Soul Hackers is out).

Aselith

Soul Hackers is still quite far away, so I don't think they can do SMT -> SMT2 -> SMT3 in bi-weekly updates. Maybe they're going to go for SMT -> SMT2 -> SMT if -> SMT3 -> SMT SJ for the BGM, and reveal SMT4 the week after that (that'll be the week Soul Hackers is out).

Have they announced Soul Hackers stateside yet?

mclem

Please be in third person like Nocturne.

Obviously we can't know until we see some shots, but I'd have to say that first person seems extremely likely, given that they have an established first-person dungeon-crawl 3D engine already available on the target platform.

duckroll

I really hope SMT4 is third person like SMT3, because otherwise it seems likely that Atlus will take the cheaper route of making it a fixed perspective FP dungeon crawler with boring environmental design and boring texture reuse. By making it a third person RPG, there would be more incentive for them to create grander looking locations with less symmetrical design.

Also, there better be a world map. :p

Aeana

I really hope SMT4 is third person like SMT3, because otherwise it seems likely that Atlus will take the cheaper route of making it a fixed perspective FP dungeon crawler with boring environmental design and boring texture reuse. By making it a third person RPG, there would be more incentive for them to create grander looking locations with less symmetrical design.

I don't think first-person dungeons are boring at all.
I think the greatest median would be a game designed like SMT3 that still has a first person mode available. Honestly, the dungeons in SMT3 are actually designed not too dissimilarly from the earlier first-person games, they just have more visual candy. If you play the game in first-person mode (or just look at the maps), you come to realize that they're still corridors. They could still accomplish the same thing with a first-person camera - they already did.

duckroll

I don't think first-person dungeons are boring at all.
I think the greatest median would be a game designed like SMT3 that still has a first person mode available. Honestly, the dungeons in SMT3 are actually designed not too dissimilarly from the earlier first-person games, they just have more visual candy. If you play the game in first-person mode (or just look at the maps), you come to realize that they're still corridors. They could still accomplish the same thing with a first-person camera - they already did.

I'm not talking about the game design, but the art direction here. First person dungeons of this sort always suffer when it comes to bringing out the best of the art direction into the actual game field. It's something we see all the time. If a game is designed as a third person game with a moving camera, it gives incentive for the staff to actually create great visuals which the game can take advantage of. Even if you can play the game optionally in a first person mode, that general design philosophy doesn't change. On the other hand, if the game is designed from the start to be a first person only game, there is little incentive in putting in the effort to create visuals which the camera will pretty much never see.

thanks

Very excited for this, and after Strange Journey, I guess I'm also really craving a 3rd person SMT. I always love first person dungeon crawlers anyway so either way I'm excited.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

We are of a mind on this.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yeah I'm hoping it's third person as well, I'll get Soul Hackers for my first person MegaTen fix.

Aeana

Yeah I'm hoping it's third person as well, I'll get Soul Hackers for my first person MegaTen fix.
I'll be happy either way, but I've already played Soul Hackers tons of times. First-person would be great for me, but third person with a first-person option is totally fine with me too. Third person only is also fine, but I'd be a little disappointed.

And besides, the dungeons in Soul Hackers aren't really the type of dungeons that would be in a mainline game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I dont care what view it is just give me the game! :D Though to give an opinion being a traditionalist Id prefer the first person view though.

Duckroll does have a good point though from the design aspect of a game.

Interesting how the bottom half of the screen appears to be Shibuya on the right, Ginza in the middle. Cant tell what the left is.

The wait for devil summoner in august is unbearable as it will have the first gameplay demo of IV..........

By the way I hope Devil summoner gets localized too as it would be the first time in the united states, and the psp port got passed on so I hope the 3ds one doesnt.

I might be the oldest megaten gamer on these boards, but I must say each release gets me giddy

Aeana

The wait for devil summoner in august is unbearable as it will have the first gameplay demo of IV..........

By the way I hope Devil summoner gets localized too as it would be the first time in the united states, and the psp port got passed on so I hope the 3ds one doesnt.

I might be the oldest megaten gamer on these boards, but I must say each release gets me giddy
What makes you think that?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
first person would feel like a step back honestly, after 3rd person view in SMT3.

Besides we already got an oldschool megaten title in Strange Journey. I really doubt SMT4 is going to be fp.

first person would feel like a step back honestly, after 3rd person view in SMT3.

Besides we already got an oldschool megaten title in Strange Journey. I really doubt SMT4 is going to be fp.

Its not so much as a step back, as a step sideways

Its just a different style.

I thought strange journeys was superb.

Top Bottom