• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse coming to North America in Summer 2016

I've been thinking about this, and I concluded we shouldn't blame Atlus for bringing the games so late to Europe.

We must blame Nintendo for the region free. It didn't let us play the game imported when it launched, and we had to wait more than a year. Same with this game, we won't be able to play it months because of region lock.

Don't blame Atlus, they are doing their best. Blame Nintendo. And just in case, I'm not an Atlus fanboy, I only like SMT games.
Oh no, that's not how it works.

We can and should most definitely blame Atlus for their utter disregard of Europe.

As a consumer, you aren't supposed to import your goods from an entirely different continent when literally smaller companies like Aksys and Nis (the latter even manages to release games physically all the time) can release games here just fine.

NeonZ

It starts off 3/4 of the way through SMTIV, so it's a pretty definitive "no."

Feel free to if you want to be totally lost in whats going on.

As someone else mentioned its fairly connected and can be considered spoilers for IV if you ever decide to go back and play it.

So would most def play IV first. If you dont like IV the chances of you liking this would be slim.

The game's main cast begins from a completely different point of view from SMTIV's cast though (being from Tokyo rather than Mikado), and most relevant information is explained again due to that.

Although I guess there's a chance that it could end up looking like a big info dumb if you know nothing about SMTIV. This game does fix one of the most common complaints about SMTIV though (navigation in Tokyo) and it's also more character based than any of the previous mainline SMT.

I missed this info and created a thread asking about it, now I feel like an idiot but I'm also completely stoked!

Um... okay, I guess that's all I have to contribute.

GeekyDad

Not seeing any kind of special first-print edition or pre-order bonus like with the first game, yet they're still asking $50.

baconcow

Not sure why people are so upset about the Canadian price. Typical E3 sales will put this at $45.50 (30% off) or $52.00 (20% off), both reasonable prices for a quality 3DS game.

Mcdohl

ChJhIEaU8AElZs3.jpg:large

Aeana

Nothing would make me not buy this, but I will say that compared to SMT4 with its wonderful book, this is pretty disappointing.

Aeana

Oh, apparently the Amazon Prime discount makes it $39.99. For anybody who has Prime and is concerned about the price.

mrmickfran

Oh, apparently the Amazon Prime discount makes it $39.99. For anybody who has Prime and is concerned about the price.

The Prime discount makes it the price that it should be lol

Yeah, I really liked the SMTIV one with the fancy box, mini-guidebook, and I think there was some kind of mini-soundtrack?

Yes, it had a mini soundtrack with all that. Made the $50 price tag easier to swallow. Now, there really is no incentive to get the launch edition.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I really liked the SMTIV one with the fancy box, mini-guidebook, and I think there was some kind of mini-soundtrack?

As mini as ever. It's a pathetic offering, but I really just want the game. At least it's not another insulting OST. I will miss the packaging, though.

Shizuka

I feel like Atlus USA is creeping closer and closer to charging $50 for handheld games and not offering any bonus at all.

.la1n

I would have bought at $49.99 but it is nice to have the discount, don't really pre-order many physical copies of games any more. I am also disappointed at nothing fancier for the first print, usually Atlus is spot on with those kinds of things.

marmoka

Banned
I would buy it day 1, but I can't, I European.

Day 1 Edition in NA will suck, but at least you guys are getting the game. Enjoy it for us please!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ugh I forgot about the tax.

Plus no Fire Emblem promotion this time. No half strat guide either. That and being an Atlus game it will go on sale for half price or less in the next year.

Aters

Haha, good to see my post above about finishing SMT4 first. Now that I did finish it, my body is ready for this. Though I'd probably play it next year.

Nope. Atlusprime on Reddit apologized for the delay as they were planning to announce it on Friday, but on Twitter, he said it's looking like September, which seriously sucks.

Thanks, thought I missed it. Deep down inside I'm hoping they say early August. September is for Psycho Pass.

cj_iwakura

"Persona this isn't". Would work both ways to make fun of the whole SMT>P culture and it would be good for newcomers that never played an SMT but played the Persona games.

Nah, that was done in the last IV OT, and it irritated more often than not. ('The Dark Souls of Persona')

'You Are But Casualry Scum' is clever, though.

Top Bottom