• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne |OT| GO GET THE BUFFS!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thread dead already?

Put more time into the game and made it up to the Biker Fiend currently. I did spend a bit of time in the Amala Dungeon and finished the First Kalpa, plan to go hit the second Kalpa after a bit more progress in the story.

Haven't really hit a brick wall moment lately as I am pretty pleased with my fusions and am mostly just following the strategy of maintaining a party that is around my character level. I'm not using any guide or future planning for my team, mostly allowing fate to dictate what occurs. Even when I notice my team isn't ideal for certain bosses, I am still able to eke out victories ok.

I did notice that if you enter the Fuse room when the moon is 'full' you not only get access to sacrificial fusions(triple fusion...not too helpful so far), but also certain fiends can be created with the right combos noted by skulls on the fusion grid. I'm close to making the Daijojou(sp) guy once I level the MC a bit more.

Man, I have been hooked on this game the past week.

Soriku

Thread dead already?

Put more time into the game and made it up to the Biker Fiend currently. I did spend a bit of time in the Amala Dungeon and finished the First Kalpa, plan to go hit the second Kalpa after a bit more progress in the story.

Haven't really hit a brick wall moment lately as I am pretty pleased with my fusions and am mostly just following the strategy of maintaining a party that is around my character level. I'm not using any guide or future planning for my team, mostly allowing fate to dictate what occurs. Even when I notice my team isn't ideal for certain bosses, I am still able to eke out victories ok.

I did notice that if you enter the Fuse room when the moon is 'full' you not only get access to sacrificial fusions(triple fusion...not too helpful so far), but also certain fiends can be created with the right combos noted by skulls on the fusion grid. I'm close to making the Daijojou(sp) guy once I level the MC a bit more.

Man, I have been hooked on this game the past week.

It's mainly helpful if you want to get specific skills on a demon with a greater likelihood. Actually I couldn't even make my perfect Metatron without sacrificial fusion.

Brandon F

Well fuck. My first major wipe in the Second Kalpa of Amala. That section where every step drains your health by half, I had an unlucky encounter where the enemy got first attack and annhilated my MC before I could do anything. My progress of exploring that place lost(over an hour). Not a big deal, but it mostly sucks given how much levelling progress I made with my demons up to that point. Just a real cheap section, and I even used Estoma and 100% escape abilities for that bit where you are pretty much stuck to 1HP and there was nothing I could do when an enemy decides to be an asshole and targets the MC before I can do anything. :(

Tucah

you speak so well
I haven't had a ton of time to play but what I have gotten to do so far (just beat
Thor
) has been a blast. I haven't played the game in years but a lot of it is coming back to me and it's really getting me in the mood to go through some of the other games in the franchise I've never gotten around to (which is most of them, I've only played Persona 4 and Devil Survivor).

Any newcomers playing for the first time? What are your impressions, if so? Hope everyone is enjoying the game (despite technical issues being reported by some). :)

Newcomer here. My first time playing SMT3 and my third SMT game overall (after P3 and SMT4 both of which I loved). So far I gotta say that I am fucking loving this game. It had me hook from the very beginning, I was a little hesitant to play it at first because I felt that after playing SMT4 it would be hard for me to go back and play an older game that doesn't have all of the conveniences of the newer one, but i am glad to be able to put my fears to rests. Hell even random encounters which I dreaded going back to aren't so bad. So far I am about 2 and half hours in and about to head to Ginza.

gzero

New to it as well, at the 4:30 mark or so. Its fantastic! Not finding it nearly as difficult as SMT IV (which is a good thing for me). I found the story in SMT IV boring but this one is a lot more interesting. Only wish I could play it on a handheld instead of my dying phat 60GB PS3. Poor PS3 needs to survive long enough to play Persona 5 next year.

GeekyDad

...I found the story in SMT IV boring...

Wow...

n0MhGds.gif

Ourobolus

Banned
I hate weekdays right now - I've got so much shit to do after work, I barely get time to play. Sigh.

Anyway, about to fight Matador in a bit (I know his tricks though). The enemies in the underground are getting annoying so I probably need to do some fusions.

Side note: When you finally get the compendium, are all of the demons from earlier already registered? I forget how that works.

Brandon F

maxresdefault.jpg

Made it to this optional minigame. I completed them on my own through Stage 6 or so, but the rest I just decided to use a faq guide. I always hate it when RPG's throw these sorts of activities at you gating useful loot or treasure unless you complete them, many which have absolutely nothing to do with the core experience(dodge lightning!). This actually is a pretty decently thought out and well reasoned puzzle experience, and only holds a single bonus magatama to collect for completion that can be ignored entirely...but I just couldn't pass it up once I stumbled through some of the stages and got tired of futzing about on the harder levels.

I also finished the Second Kalpa this weekend. Hard to believe I sunk nearly 30 hours into this game over the past week since it came out. Just nuts. Still seem to have a lot more to go as well. Think I'm pretty certainly gonna end up going for the True Ending on my first play since I want to complete the entire Kalpa maze.

Oh and Matador didn't give me a problem after a couple minutes of party adjustment, but these four riders of the apocalypse I am now bumping into...yeesh. Have barely scraped through my fights with them so far even with my best demon crew.

Jisgsaw

New to it as well, at the 4:30 mark or so. Its fantastic! Not finding it nearly as difficult as SMT IV (which is a good thing for me). I found the story in SMT IV boring but this one is a lot more interesting. Only wish I could play it on a handheld instead of my dying phat 60GB PS3. Poor PS3 needs to survive long enough to play Persona 5 next year.

Well the beginning is far easier in Nocturne (then again, few RPG have as hard a beginning as SMT4).
But there isn't a difficulty drop like in SMT4, the game is far more balanced.

maxresdefault.jpg

Made it to this optional minigame. I completed them on my own through Stage 6 or so, but the rest I just decided to use a faq guide. I always hate it when RPG's throw these sorts of activities at you gating useful loot or treasure unless you complete them, many which have absolutely nothing to do with the core experience(dodge lightning!). This actually is a pretty decently thought out and well reasoned puzzle experience, and only holds a single bonus magatama to collect for completion that can be ignored entirely...but I just couldn't pass it up once I stumbled through some of the stages and got tired of futzing about on the harder levels.

I also finished the Second Kalpa this weekend. Hard to believe I sunk nearly 30 hours into this game over the past week since it came out. Just nuts. Still seem to have a lot more to go as well. Think I'm pretty certainly gonna end up going for the True Ending on my first play since I want to complete the entire Kalpa maze.

Oh and Matador didn't give me a problem after a couple minutes of party adjustment, but these four riders of the apocalypse I am now bumping into...yeesh. Have barely scraped through my fights with them so far even with my best demon crew.

I loved that minigame!

You can complete all the kalpa without getting the TDE, you just have to wait after entering the final dungeon to take the last elevator.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any way to see the stats/abilities of your summons other than the "status" menu? It really sucks that I have to go back and forth between the status menu and the party/summon menu to figure out which one had that anti-poison ability or whatever.

Even worse is in-combat summoning. Is there any way to see abilities when you're choosing which one to summon?

Jisgsaw

Is there any way to see the stats/abilities of your summons other than the "status" menu? It really sucks that I have to go back and forth between the status menu and the party/summon menu to figure out which one had that anti-poison ability or whatever.

Even worse is in-combat summoning. Is there any way to see abilities when you're choosing which one to summon?

If I remember correctly, there is no way.
Then again, your team is your life. Learn your stregth/weaknesses.
Yeah, the interface and ergonomics of the menues aren't great

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If I remember correctly, there is no way.
Then again, your team is your life. Learn your stregth/weaknesses.
Yeah, the interface and ergonomics of the menues aren't great

There doesn't even seem to be a way to tell what each ability actually does, even in the status screen...

leroidys

Finally broke down and bought this game, despite it not being in my budget at all.

Really enjoying it so far. Just got past the first micro-dungeon. I love how snappy the battles are, and the economy of the presentation.

One thing that is really standing out to me though is how low quality the sound is. Is this a PS2 emulation issue, or was it like this in the original as well?

cj_iwakura

Finally broke down and bought this game, despite it not being in my budget at all.

Really enjoying it so far. Just got past the first micro-dungeon. I love how snappy the battles are, and the economy of the presentation.

One thing that is really standing out to me though is how low quality the sound is. Is this a PS2 emulation issue, or was it like this in the original as well?

I never noticed any sound issues in the original.

Soriku

If you're talking about the low quality battle themes (though a few sound OK), it was the same in the original.

I never noticed any sound issues in the original.

Compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gpMqNtHRvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZq9xrY0XQ

koryuken

Freikugel + Charge + Masakados.

A physical build is the more viable over the whole length of the game, even if you'll regret it from time to time (but your party is there to compensate that).
Whatever you do, like in most megaten, don't do a balanced build.

I can attest to this ^. I beat this game on PS2 and got the "secret ending".

I don't think I would have the patience to finish this game again, as the grind is pretty intense. I remember getting the stone that made my character invisible to physical damage. If I recall, my party that beat Lucifer consisted of Dante (underpowered, but dat sick style), Megatron, and Beezlebub.

I remember that motherfucker murdering me over and over. Talk about a jump in challenge.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh god, I think I screwed up bad. I'm level 14, and I only equipped one of the Magatamas the whole time (the first physical). Have I underpowered myself too much? Is there a way to quickly get the skills in the other Magatamas?

cj_iwakura

Oh god, I think I screwed up bad. I'm level 14, and I only equipped one of the Magatamas the whole time (the first physical). Have I underpowered myself too much? Is there a way to quickly get the skills in the other Magatamas?

You're fine.They have level capped skills. Just watch if a magatama is twitching, that's how you'll know it can gain new skills.

gzero

Well the beginning is far easier in Nocturne (then again, few RPG have as hard a beginning as SMT4).
But there isn't a difficulty drop like in SMT4, the game is far more balanced.

Yeah. I made it to
Matador
last night. I retract my statement about the game being easy :) Looks like I have some grinding to do.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im doing my usual OCD demon fusing and slowly progressing in the game. Man have not played this in such a long ass time.

Still looks great and really they need to do another title in this fashion. Well I suppose with SMT IV they sort of did so there is that.

nyarla

Neo Member
Wahaha, just met Matador for the first time (probably of many :p)

Love this game so much.. wish I could play on handheld during the day while I'm working.... hurry up and come out in Australia SMT IV!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You're fine.They have level capped skills. Just watch if a magatama is twitching, that's how you'll know it can gain new skills.

I have 3 of them now, and they're all twitching. I switched to the fire one, and got burning hands or whatever... and it and the two others are still twitching.

I haven't fallen behind the curve on these? I'm assuming that each one twitches every few levels, right? In that case, by level 14, I probably would have unlocked a ton more skills. Should I stick to the fire one to get the next skill, or move on to the next?

Jisgsaw

I have 3 of them now, and they're all twitching. I switched to the fire one, and got burning hands or whatever... and it and the two others are still twitching.

I haven't fallen behind the curve on these? I'm assuming that each one twitches every few levels, right? In that case, by level 14, I probably would have unlocked a ton more skills. Should I stick to the fire one to get the next skill, or move on to the next?

Don't overstress it too much.
A lot of early skills are useless, and even the usefull ones (dia, media) can be put on your demons instead.

If you have met the level requirement to learn a skill, the magatama will always twitch until you learn it. There's no such thing as you missing a window to learn a skill.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Don't overstress it too much.
A lot of early skills are useless, and even the usefull ones (dia, media) can be put on your demons instead.

That's actually what I'm afraid of. I should have been able to burn through all the early skills from levels 1-14. You have to realize, I have received zero skills since around level 4. Now, I'm stuck wasting levels just to get the crap early skills so I can eventually get the better ones. I should be getting level 15 appropriate skills now.

Jisgsaw

That's actually what I'm afraid of. I should have been able to burn through all the early skills from levels 1-14. You have to realize, I have received zero skills since around level 4. Now, I'm stuck wasting levels just to get the crap early skills so I can eventually get the better ones. I should be getting level 15 appropriate skills now.

I didn't check, but I don't think any of the first 4 Magatama have any notable skill. Just skip them, and continue with the next magatama you get.

Edit: just checked: equip
Wadatsumi (Fog Breath at lvl 21, last skill) and Ankh (Dia at lv5 and media at level lv19)
But as I said, even if fog breath is one of the best debuff, you can live without it on your MC, as long as you fuse your demons accordingly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I didn't check, but I don't think any of the first 4 Magatama have any notable skill. Just skip them, and continue with the next magatama you get.

Edit: just checked: equip
Wadatsumi (Fog Breath at lvl 21, last skill) and Ankh (Dia at lv5 and media at level lv19)
But as I said, even if fog breath is one of the best debuff, you can live without it on your MC, as long as you fuse your demons accordingly.

Got it. Thanks for the advice.

I have a question for all you veterans, I am about to fight Matador (again after he gave me my first death), so I am trying to grind a bit but about half the random encounters I face I end up getting no exp, which is making it hard to grind. Is this intentional? Also I'm fighting demons in the area right before you fight him so these are the highest level demons I have access to ATM.

totowhoa

Banned
I have a question for all you veterans, I am about to fight Matador (again after he gave me my first death), so I am trying to grind a bit but about half the random encounters I face I end up getting no exp, which is making it hard to grind. Is this intentional? Also I'm fighting demons in the area right before you fight him so these are the highest level demons I have access to ATM.

Yeah, you shouldn't really be grinding in general. If you do want to grind here, make sure you have a goal in mind, such as earning Fog Breath at lvl 21 from the Wadatsumi magatama. That makes the fight *much* easier, but it's not at all necessary to have that skill either.

Your best bet is to create a team that can effectively tackle him (create an extra save if you're newer to fusion so you can experiment).

I'm not quite at that point yet so I can't remember the exact demons I've used in the past, but you want to focus on good buffs/debuffs and demons that can hit his weakness (zan I believe).

Yeah, you shouldn't really be grinding in general. If you do want to grind here, make sure you have a goal in mind, such as earning Fog Breath at lvl 21 from the Wadatsumi magatama. That makes the fight *much* easier, but it's not at all necessary to have that skill either.

Your best bet is to create a team that can effectively tackle him (create an extra save if you're newer to fusion so you can experiment).

I'm not quite at that point yet so I can't remember the exact demons I've used in the past, but you want to focus on good buffs/debuffs and demons that can hit his weakness (zan I believe).

Thanks, And I am grinding mainly for macca but also for fusion purposes. And just to be certain, you do intentionally stop getting exp? What factors determine this?

Jisgsaw

Thanks, And I am grinding mainly for macca but also for fusion purposes. And just to be certain, you do intentionally stop getting exp? What factors determine this?

You get fewer exp the lower the ennemy level is from yours, and your demons get even less. (Edit: I'm not even sure that's how it works anymore, or if you just need more xp for a level. Anyway, you should never get 0 xp)
But you should still get some xp, just very little. If not, you probably have a bug... ?

Grinding isn't really mandatory, as your party balance and skillset is the more determining factor. Grinding does help, but fusion is a way around that.

Brandon F

Yea grinding is only really useful for when you want to earn specific skills from demons for an upcoming encounter. Pay close attention to the attacks that enemies(particularly bosses) use against you and build a demon party that can counter those skills or effectively strike boss weaknesses for extra turns. Buffs and debuffs help as well(though many bosses can cancel them going forward).

When you notice the gap in level between your hero and your party demons starts to widen, then it is time to start fusing up some new demons that reach level parity. You'll be doing this a lot going forward, don't get too attached to specific demons as you will want to keep fusing them into stronger ones. Conditioning yourself to this is vital, think of your demons as expendable weaponry and armor you keep upgrading with progress.

For Matador, you might have noticed him using Zan skills(Force) against your party alongside regular attacks. I beat him around level 20, and found the demon Nozuchi to be a critical help in that fight that I gained through fusion as it drains force attacks. There are a couple other demons you can recruit/fuse that are strong to force attacks as well at that point in the game really easily. Always pay attention to what each demon drains/nulls/voids/is weak to. Prepare accordingly. It really isn't too complicated and you will get accustomed to it real quick. Matador is the first boss that really demands you shift your mentality from grinding to really abusing the Press-Turn combat in your favor through smart party makeup.

totowhoa

Banned

Just started playing again and remembered that Zan isn't his weakness, but what he casts on you. My bad... you want to be immune to that is what I meant :) Edit: Nevermind, poster above me covered it!

Hugstable

Banned
Everything about this game is just amazing and top notch. Playing through these dungeons is making me really sad that SMT IV didn't really have dungeons fleshed out like these, with many dungeons even having their own personal gimmicks. Even the battle system where you spend the other half of your time in the game is done so well to where it really becomes a game of planning and strategy. Honestly I don't think any other RPG will ever top SMT: Nocturne for me, dat challenge, those dungeons, and a strategic battle system always keep me coming back for more. And while I wish there was an easier way to pass along skill during fusion. I remember how much being able to do that in SMT:IV practically broke the game lol.

Jisgsaw

Everything about this game is just amazing and top notch. Playing through these dungeons is making me really sad that SMT IV didn't really have dungeons fleshed out like these, with many dungeons even having their own personal gimmicks. Even the battle system where you spend the other half of your time in the game is done so well to where it really becomes a game of planning and strategy. Honestly I don't think any other RPG will ever top SMT: Nocturne for me, dat challenge, those dungeons, and a strategic battle system always keep me coming back for more. And while I wish there was an easier way to pass along skill during fusion. I remember how much being able to do that in SMT:IV practically broke the game lol.

Well, the game has a somewhat anoying weak point: the menues.
Especially compared to the following releases, the presentation of the menues is seriously lacking, some infos are hard to find, and they are just generally not that nice to navigate through.
Well, it's still the Best game Ever, but it's worth mentionning.

And I'm happy to see I'm not the only one thinking like that for the fusion system.

Hugstable

Banned
Well, the game has a somewhat anoying weak point: the menues.
Especially compared to the following releases, the presentation of the menues is seriously lacking, some infos are hard to find, and they are just generally not that nice to navigate through.
Well, it's still the Best game Ever, but it's worth mentionning.

And I'm happy to see I'm not the only one thinking like that for the fusion system.

You mean like not being able to look at what the attacks do until you actually get a new skill and need to replace it? Good thing I've played quite a bit of SMT games to where I know what most attacks do haha. That's really the only part of the menus that annoy me, along with how long it takes to fuse monsters sometimes.

daemonic

Banned
I'm running out of Life Stones to use for negotiation.. never thought I'd see that happen. Is it me or are there fewer items given after battles in Hard mode?

Jisgsaw

You mean like not being able to look at what the attacks do until you actually get a new skill and need to replace it? Good thing I've played quite a bit of SMT games to where I know what most attacks do haha. That's really the only part of the menus that annoy me, along with how long it takes to fuse monsters sometimes.

For example. This being the most annoying, as you permanently loose any skill you forget.
I also missed (well, after I played the later entries) the graphic representation for the strength/weaknesses.
A "world map" would also have been nice, even if not needed.

Lot of littles things that are slightly annoying.

totowhoa

Banned
I'm running out of Life Stones to use for negotiation.. never thought I'd see that happen. Is it me or are there fewer items given after battles in Hard mode?

I'm 99% sure difficulty doesn't affect item drop rates. However, I hadn't played Nocturne in some time, so coming off of SMT IV makes life stones seem incredibly rare now. I feel like I remember being a little tighter on life stones earlier on, but you'll get stocked up as you get further into the game.

daemonic

Banned
Yeah it's still early in the game. Only at Lvl 16 right now in the Ginza Underpass but trying to get a head start on recruiting and fusion demons. Every one I attempt to scout demands a life stone, so I've run out quickly, especially since most of them take my macca or items and disappear.

Top Bottom