• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne |OT| GO GET THE BUFFS!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This is gonna be a silly-ish question but of all the demons Atlus could've used how did Matador end up being...well 'that one boss', how was he selected and how did Atlus go about programming his battle?

This is my first time facing him now, but some obvious stuff I noticed:

There are certain story reasons as to why it is the first 'skill check' fight(Candelabra-related it seems), but it is a goofy visual design to have a skeleton matador be 'the introduction' to this tier of boss battle.

It's mostly a challenge because it comes literally out of nowhere. You walk down a hallway with very little warning and suddenly boss! Last save and healing station was a warp away in prior area too, so it is pretty cheap not letting players have at least a closer save and fuse station to prep on reload. I was half dead with my bench party earning them xp when he suddenly appeared making my first fight completely unfair and imbalanced.

He's also the first boss to get two turns per round. One usually cancels all debuffs, so my first few turns were wasted as I learned this. He also hits hard when he does attack.

I'll get him now that I know what element he uses against me, just need to fuse a demon to resist it and maybe get an ability or two to buff my party against his damage.

draetenth

I don't remember if it was true or not, but I remember reading years ago when I last played it that bosses are more likely to debuff you if you max out your buffs - i.e. 4x sukukaja/sukunda. If you used 3x sukukaja/sukunda they boss wouldn't be so quick to remove the buffs.

I can't verify it though, so take the info with a grain of salt..

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't remember if it was true or not, but I remember reading years ago when I last played it that bosses are more likely to debuff you if you max out your buffs - i.e. 4x sukukaja/sukunda. If you used 3x sukukaja/sukunda they boss wouldn't be so quick to remove the buffs.

I can't verify it though, so take the info with a grain of salt..
That's true for certain bosses. Gonna have to look it up though.

Though I may be thinking of DDS/DDS2...

what a price !
sadly it was expensive before, so i didn't have it, and chose to go with Digital Devil Saga series, it's also got cheaper, but i already bought them in cheaper price
maybe or maybe no i'm giving Nocturne a chance anytime soon

deim0s

Went in blind and defeated the first boss - stunned the shit out him! I'm liking the vibe.

I got an advice for first timer : DO NOT PUT more than 30 points on your stats except luck.

There's a magatama that boosts stats by 10 or so. Don't worry about it.

No. Just dump into strength or magic early on.

Provided you do the Labyrinth of Amala, a physical-based hero will go very far. But magic is super strong too.

Protip! Avoid opening chests until the moon phase is full(8/8). Then you are guaranteed to get the best or most rare item in the list of possible items. Not a big deal really, but why waste getting a lifestone when a few random encounters to wait for the proper moon phase can give you something better.

Nice, thanks for these.

While it might be due to balance to make people go in and out of the menus over and over to hopefully get the demon fusion they're looking for, there has to be a better system for fusing demons than that. It's lazy game design. I would prefer a straight point assignment system to wasting 30 minutes staring at menus every time I fuse a demon.

Whose decision was that?

/\ button for shuffle. R1 for skill check. Bases covered. We in, we out.
This is my first time facing him now, but some obvious stuff I noticed:

There are certain story reasons as to why it is the first 'skill check' fight(Candelabra-related it seems), but it is a goofy visual design to have a skeleton matador be 'the introduction' to this tier of boss battle.

It's mostly a challenge because it comes literally out of nowhere. You walk down a hallway with very little warning and suddenly boss! Last save and healing station was a warp away in prior area too, so it is pretty cheap not letting players have at least a closer save and fuse station to prep on reload. I was half dead with my bench party earning them xp when he suddenly appeared making my first fight completely unfair and imbalanced.

He's also the first boss to get two turns per round. One usually cancels all debuffs, so my first few turns were wasted as I learned this. He also hits hard when he does attack.

I'll get him now that I know what element he uses against me, just need to fuse a demon to resist it and maybe get an ability or two to buff my party against his damage.

Ain't no salt like Megatened salt. Them comics and memes of his ain't for nothin'.

If anyone thinks Matador is bad with two turns using beast eye, you will cry when you fight Mot and he decides to be a douche:

http://youtu.be/zIjVvnO5lgM

Speaking of salt, there was a mugen version of that guy from winter; fucker even had Beast Eyeing up at random at the start of the fight or not. Evil.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's mostly a challenge because it comes literally out of nowhere. You walk down a hallway with very little warning and suddenly boss! Last save and healing station was a warp away in prior area too, so it is pretty cheap not letting players have at least a closer save and fuse station to prep on reload. I was half dead with my bench party earning them xp when he suddenly appeared making my first fight completely unfair and imbalanced. .

Ehh? It's been a long while but IIRC the game actually warned you with the prompt "The candelabra is flickering" or somesuch with a sort of effect appearing on the screen before every fiend fight, right?

Atlantis

What are good demons and skills for this early part of the game?

Jack Frost comes with Dark Might, which is probably the best ability in the game.

Gonna give it a few more tries, but all de-buffs seem pointless since he kind of removes them each round. :/

He doesn't remove buffs, use those instead. Like someone mentioned previously, you should be able to debuff him once or twice without triggering Dekunda.

Ehh? It's been a long while but IIRC the game actually warned you with the prompt "The candelabra is flickering" or somesuch with a sort of effect appearing on the screen before every fiend fight, right?

There's a Manikin blabbering about seeing an angel of death too. It's also 10 steps out from a town with facilities and a teleport back to Ginza.

Compared with the ONLY thing that's broken and unfair against the player (Mot's Beast Eye, Dekunda, Beast Eye Makajaka, Makajaka, Makajaka, Beast Eye, Makajaka, MEGIDOLAON), it's usual Megaten-level think fast. It just also happens to be the point where the game takes off the kid gloves and backhands the bejesus out of you till you fight back.

daemonic

Banned
I'm on my fourth play through of the game after picking it up on PSN.

Hard mode is kicking my ass. I just beat Forneus and on the way back to the save terminal I'm attacked from the rear by three Hua Pos that kill my entire team with maragi. My second attempt I kill Forneus and the same thing happens. Finally I make it out to the world map and two Zhens wipe my team out in one round.

Either I've gotten rusty or hard mode is ridiculous. I don't remember it being this brutal way back when. I'm already cringing at the thought of the Matador battle.

EDIT: Also, my favourite piece of artwork from the game:

c9J51Em.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Being absolutely broken in pretty much every boss fight before those makes up for that, wouldn't you say?

Edit: Your edit. D:

Ahahaha sorry I have a bad habit of doing that :)

There's a Manikin blabbering about seeing an angel of death too. It's also 10 steps out from a town with facilities and a teleport back to Ginza.

Compared with the ONLY thing that's broken and unfair against the player (Mot's Beast Eye, Dekunda, Beast Eye Makajaka, Makajaka, Makajaka, Beast Eye, Makajaka, MEGIDOLAON), it's usual Megaten-level think fast. It just also happens to be the point where the game takes off the kid gloves and backhands the bejesus out of you till you fight back.

Man, I am actually kind of scared going against him now since I am playing hard. This will be my first Hard fight against him.

Hopefully Priestess Uzume can hold my party against him since she is practically the only viable choice of healers against him.

I'm on my fourth play through of the game after picking it up on PSN.

Hard mode is kicking my ass. I just beat Forneus and on the way back to the save terminal I'm attacked from the rear by three Hua Pos that kill my entire team with maragi. My second attempt I kill Forneus and the same thing happens. Finally I make it out to the world map and two Zhens wipe my team out in one round.

Either I've gotten rusty or hard mode is ridiculous. I don't remember it being this brutal way back when. I'm already cringing at the thought of the Matador battle.

Me too!

Say, you're playing hard mode as well, maybe we should compare notes, hahaha.

That prompt does appear, but I think that might not be enough to clue you in to an upcoming boss fight, especially if it's your first time playing the game. At least the later bosses have the decency to explicitly tell you "You sense a powerful presence behind the door".

That prompt does appear, but I think that might not be enough to clue you in to an upcoming boss fight, especially if it's your first time playing the game. At least the later bosses have the decency to explicitly tell you "You sense a powerful presence behind the door".

Forced Battles don't do that either (Troll, those Onis).

Atlantis

Hopefully Priestess Uzume can hold my party against him since she is practically the only viable choice of healers against him.

Don't forget that you can recruit/fuse a Nozuchi, which drains Force. Not a healer (Not really anything actually, awful skills), but Matador can't really do much to him before he starts spamming Andalucia. Two, potentially three, party members immune to Force is very nice.

Hylian7

My thoughts on this so far, mostly comparing it to SMT4, but with some other SMT games as well.

I absolutely love it so far. I notice so many similarities to SMT4, especially gameplaywise. However there are some things that SMT4 kind of spoiled me on that annoy me. The first and foremost one is the lack of minimap (unless there is some button for this I just don't know of?) While you can quickly hit square and get a good sense of which direction you need to go, it is kind of annoying especially when some doors look the same and you aren't sure if you went the right way or not.

Another is the encounter system, which I don't completely understand. I saw the lit up compass and thought it was something like Strange Journey, where it starts out green, turns yellow, then red, and when it's red you're about to hit an enemy. It goes through these colors as you move. in Nocturne it just seems to be completely random, because there have been times I just got out of a battle and then basically take 3 steps and am right into another one! I'm not really sure what the point of the color indicator is on the compass if it just seems random like this. I didn't find an explanation for this yet in-game.

The storyline is so far better than SMT4's in my opinion. SMT4's wasn't bad by any means, and I certainly hope this has some twists like SMT4 did (SMT4 spoilers):
Ashura-Kai's use of people living underground for the red pills, children, etc.
Also Hijiri (guy with the occult magazine) has a striking resemblance to Issachar from SMT4. Am I the only one that caught this? They even seem to serve a similar role (SMT4 spoilers)
Strong interest in the occult, and at least in Issachar's case possibly getting so absorbed into it they turn into a demon and you have to fight them.

I'm only in Shibuya right now, so I'm not too far in, but one thing I really liked that I hope to see more of, is more buildup to the bosses. In SMT4 there wasn't always buildup to what the boss of an area was, and sometimes it would be just kind of random. For instance (I won't spoiler this one since it's very early in the game), Medusa is just kind of there, and then people talk about her after you beat her. It was really cool to see Forneus swimming around in that room through the glass before going in there, and then the souls were like "Hahaha, you think you can beat Forneus, good luck with that." (Forneus was pretty easy though).

Obviously I haven't gotten to the infamous Matador. I do know my SMT stuff and how important buffs are, so hopefully I don't have too much trouble with that one when I get there.

I'm sure I will get things thrown at me for saying this, but the Magatama system sort of reminds me or Persona. I know Persona 1 and 2 were made before this game was, and I never played them, so I have no idea how things worked there, but if they were different than 3 and 4, then I'm going to guess that P3 and P4 got some inspiration from the Magatama system in Nocturne.

Overall I really like it so far, and it actually kind of makes me want to replay SMT4 again.

Hylian7

Provided you do the Labyrinth of Amala, a physical-based hero will go very far. But magic is super strong too.

Good to hear. I'm glad this game doesn't pull a Soul Hackers and go "LOL MAGIC ON THE MAIN CHARACTER IS USELESS, FUCK YOU IF YOU LEVELED IT AND DIDN'T KNOW THAT!"

Good to hear. I'm glad this game doesn't pull a Soul Hackers and go "LOL MAGIC ON THE MAIN CHARACTER IS USELESS, FUCK YOU IF YOU LEVELED IT AND DIDN'T KNOW THAT!"

This is most old school Megaten protags, they cant do magic at all. Nocturne changed that.

Hylian7

This is most old school Megaten protags, they cant do magic at all. Nocturne changed that.

Still good to hear. When I first started playing Soul Hackers I put some points into Mag the first few levels, then I read on GAF that the protagonist can't learn spells. It seemed kind of stupid they even let you put points in it.

Atlantis

Another is the encounter system, which I don't completely understand. I saw the lit up compass and thought it was something like Strange Journey, where it starts out green, turns yellow, then red, and when it's red you're about to hit an enemy. It goes through these colors as you move. in Nocturne it just seems to be completely random, because there have been times I just got out of a battle and then basically take 3 steps and am right into another one! I'm not really sure what the point of the color indicator is on the compass if it just seems random like this. I didn't find an explanation for this yet in-game.

IIRC instead of being a countdown, the encounter rate just increases as the colors change

It IS like Strange Journey, it's just that sometimes you can walk faster than the indicator can turn to red lol. But encounters triggering that fast shouldn't be happening, maybe you just got unlucky then.

Soriku

Gonna give it a few more tries, but all de-buffs seem pointless since he kind of removes them each round. :/

Not necessarily. There are some bosses who will waste a press turn removing buffs on your party or debuffs. This is instead of attacking, which can save you.

Also IIRC Matador removes Fog Breath on his second turn right? If he misses you, that'll definitely help.

Whose decision was that?

/\ button for shuffle. R1 for skill check. Bases covered. We in, we out.

30 minutes might have been a slight exaggeration on my part, but if you're trying to get an exact mix of skills, you can be in the fusion window for easily over 10 minutes.

Hylian7 said:
in Nocturne it just seems to be completely random, because there have been times I just got out of a battle and then basically take 3 steps and am right into another one! I'm not really sure what the point of the color indicator is on the compass if it just seems random like this. I didn't find an explanation for this yet in-game.

Well, it is based on the phase of the moon, at least if memory serves. It's been a few years since I played. At full moon the encounter rate is the highest.

Brandon F

Second attempt against Matador and it was a joke. Knowing he casts Mazan(Force) much of the time, I just went back and fused/recruited a couple demons that null and/or are strong to Force attacks and annhilated him. Whenever he casts Mazan it immediately ended his turn while my team took either minor damage or voided the attack. I stuck to pretty much casting Sukunda here and there and used physical attacks(lunges and whatnot for bonus damage) and after 5 or so rounds it was over. Didn't have or need that Fog ability the thread is talking up. I think it was Nozuchi that I fused that had voided or drained force attacks if anyone cares. Matador's physical attacks were still a bit rough still since I didn't debuff much(and had no buff spells of my own), but I did have Media to help curb damage on one of my guys.

Moving on and still loving the game.

30 minutes might have been a slight exaggeration on my part, but if you're trying to get an exact mix of skills, you can be in the fusion window for easily over 10 minutes.

The worst feeling is when you're trying to get skills A, B and C, then after you've spent several minutes rerolling you find yourself with A, B and D, and think "yeah that's great" and confirm, then you realize "Wait, I wanted A, B and C SHIT"

Ourobolus

Banned
Okay, what exactly makes them change though? The area? Randomness?
It's really more that there's a random number of steps until your next encounter, but the colors are the "timer."

Just so happens that every now and again, the timer is set to "3." :p

Caderfix

Also, to anyone else who is playing Nocturne and misses the fusion searching from SMTIV, you should use this awesome program some kind person made called Heretic Mansion. It has a full demon compendium (with pictures), it will show you what happens when you fuse two demons, all the possible combinations to make a specific demon, and it lets you search for demons with specific attacks or elemental affinities. Very useful!

This sounds AMAZING. Will try it when I get home.

Thanks for the tip!

PusherT

A little Off topic. How was sony able to get PS2 games like this on PSN?? Nintendo been dicking around on Wii U and we still don't have N64 or Gamecube. Sony was able to link PS,PS2,PS3 all on the PSN.

Reknoc

seeing the encounter meter be red reminds me of hearing my dreamcast making that really loud loading noise and knowing that the next step will put me in a battle in skies of arcadia.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My Hard-Mode Playthrough Log 2:

Just arrives at the world map for the first time, escaping the Hospital, defeating Forneus.

Mobius (MC) Lv 8 -- St 7 Ma 3 Vi 7 Ag 4 Lu 3 -- Lunge, Analyze, Life Bonus
Pixie Lv 5 -- Media (skill change request, upgraded from Dia, lucky!!!), Zio, Seduce, Rakunda, Posumudi
Kodama Lv 5 -- Zan, Gonnection, Dia, Lunge
Shikigami Lv 5-- Zio, Beseech, Tarunda

Reserves:
Will o' Wisp (luckyyyy one of these things asks me to join and after a life stone joins my party!) Lv 3 -- Needle Rush, Zan, Riberama
Hua Po Lv 5 -- Agi Pester (joins easily due to Kodama's Gonnection)

Money: 5052 Macca.

No game over yet, I've been lucky that I only met 3 Hua Po team one time and they don't spam Maragi since Kodama and Shikigami are both weak to fire so it's a sure game over if that happens! The most annoying fight so far is against a team of 3 Shikigami, where they acted first and all three spam Sukunda! Since Dekunda is impossible to obtain at this moment --> Miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, bahhhhhh.

Also, is it just me or does Hard mode dramatically increases the amount of time the enemies attack first or what? It happened so often during my Hospital exploration... or is it because my relatively low agility maybe? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Small update: Just arrived at Shibuya. Disheartened to see the prices of two Magatamas to buy from Jack Frost....... 6000 and 9000? Uuuurghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Pixie has transformed into High Pixie.

Hugstable

Banned
A little Off topic. How was sony able to get PS2 games like this on PSN?? Nintendo been dicking around on Wii U and we still don't have N64 or Gamecube. Sony was able to link PS,PS2,PS3 all on the PSN.

All those PS and PS2 games have been drip fed over time just like Wii U virtual console. There isn't even that many PS2 games still :(. I want DQ8, VP2, Dark Cloud, etc. Hell they would still have had n64 games if they didn't reset everything they released on Wii, which I thought was really silly.

But it doesn't matter Much to me, all I care about is now being able to play Nocturne on something other than my old ass PS2, and not having to deal with all the problems of the emulated version of the game on PCSX2. So glad the weekend is here its time to really put some time into this game.

The worst feeling is when you're trying to get skills A, B and C, then after you've spent several minutes rerolling you find yourself with A, B and D, and think "yeah that's great" and confirm, then you realize "Wait, I wanted A, B and C SHIT"

Haha yeah. Or when I'm trying for a skill mix that's rare, and I would space out in the "menu zone" and accidentally blow past the mix I wanted. "Noooooooooo" I remember once it took me another 20 minutes to get the mix again. :/

Like I said, they really need to think of a different way of selecting the skill mix during fusion. Sometimes I think they keep around certain gameplay elements just because they are "SMT", not because they're necessarily good.

NeonZ

This is gonna be a silly-ish question but of all the demons Atlus could've used how did Matador end up being...well 'that one boss', how was he selected and how did Atlus go about programming his battle?

Matador is part of the additions done to Nocturne Maniax (which was the version that got an international release, although without the Maniax title). The original release of Nocturne didn't have any fiends.

When they released Maniax, they added the fiends and decided to make them important for the extra story added to the game. He happens to be the fiend chosen for that battle likely just because he's one of the fiends not based on Revelation (In Nocturne, all higher level fiends were the ones based on Revelation, aside from guest character Dante). If it weren't Matador, it'd likely be Hell Biker or Daisoujou in that spot.

Like I said, they really need to think of a different way of selecting the skill mix during fusion. Sometimes I think they keep around certain gameplay elements just because they are "SMT", not because they're necessarily good.

But they did change the fusion system later. Nocturne isn't a new game...

But they did change the fusion system later. Nocturne isn't a new game...

I know, I played Nocturne when it was released. I haven't played SMT IV because I don't have a 3DS, but that's good to hear they changed the system (hopefully for the better).

re: Matador, I don't think he has a "goofy design", or at least not any more outlandish than many other SMT demons. Besides, it's nice to have a bit of humor mixed in with all the serious atmosphere.

Brandon F

Woo, just took down the triple boss fight in Ikebukuro on my first try! Granted I did get some prep hints since you can 'pay Macca' for a tips on the weaknesses/strengths for the triple-boss gauntlet from an NPC outside. So I wrangled together a party that would easily handle all three boss affinity variants. (Actually mostly the same matador crew I rolled with worked pretty well)

After a decade of curiosity I finally also fought Dante for the first time! Took him down on my first attempt as well. Loved seeing his signature moves play out like Rebellion and Ebony and Ivory shots. I can eventually recruit him right?

Haha yeah. Or when I'm trying for a skill mix that's rare, and I would space out in the "menu zone" and accidentally blow past the mix I wanted. "Noooooooooo" I remember once it took me another 20 minutes to get the mix again. :/

Temptation is what's "wrong" here. Master the urge. It's not THAT tightly tuned as to need 8 specific skills (even on the Demifiend!)

That's the only reason it was changed. I'm hoping SMT5 and P5 are built with it in mind, as it runs roughshod over the game's balancing very early.

Temptation is what's "wrong" here. Master the urge. It's not THAT tightly tuned as to need 8 specific skills (even on the Demifiend!)

Well, Nocturne was my first SMT and I was getting my ass handed to me quite often, so I did feel like I needed every advantage I could get. But also because I wanted my demons to be unique. I recruited them and they had my back, so they felt more on my side than anyone else in the game. Maybe it's because the gameworld in Nocturne feels really alien and hostile.

Top Bottom