• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Hashimoto talks possibilites for FFXVI and X-3 (+ comments on other projects)

Elios83

Hashimoto is a master troll, of course he knows about the setting of FFXVI, he's hinting at something different from FFXVI.
Personally I'd like a fantasy setting. Something like FFIX is probably too extreme and would alienate those looking for realistic graphics and the western market they want to target, but something like FFXII or Agnis Philosophy would definetly be great.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My dream is to let Naoki Yoshida direct XVI and for it to be a new concept we've never seen before.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hashimoto is a master troll, of course he knows about the setting of FFXVI, he's hinting at something different from FFXVI.
Personally I'd like a fantasy setting. Something like FFIX is probably too extreme and would alienate those looking for realistic graphics and the western market they want to target, but something like FFXII or Agnis Philosophy would definetly be great.
It's been said before, but I think it's highly possible that the Agni's Philosophy tech demo could be indicative of the direction that XVI takes. Of course, that's mere conjecture, but it would be neat if true.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Final Fantasy X-3 should be about Braska, Auron, and Jecht's adventures.

I dont see how they could justify putting resources into X-3 instead of XVI, the mainline games dramatically outsell sequels and spinoffs.

My hope was that Ito had been working on XVI behind the scenes for years but it sounds like thats not the case, or maybe Hashimoto is trolling us, who knows.

If they did a X-3 game that followed the plot of that atrocious audio novel that I scrubbed from my mind, they may as well just come to my house, hand me an empty case and then shoot my balls off because that's what they'd be doing to me.

Trago

My dream is to let Naoki Yoshida direct XVI and for it to be a new concept we've never seen before.

One and done.

Let Toriyama have his little side project, let Nomura work that 'burning passion' on FFVII Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3, and let Tabata get nine months of sleep.

Yoshida, one of the most competent project leads Square of Japan has under their belt, directing a single player mainline entry seems like a no brainier at this point.

FFX-3, FFXV, FFXVI, FFVIIR, WoFF, FFXIIR, ugh now that's too much FF. Can these guys make something that doesn't have FF in the title (or KH, or DQ). SE have become the Activision of Japan. Just replace FF with CoD only SE aren't competent enough to get their games out the window with any kind of normalcy.

edotlee

I hope they use the Luminous Engine and release it within a reasonable amount of time. Other than that I hope for a more fantasy setting. Maybe even sci-fi.

sora87

It's bizarre how little information and buzz there is around RE:FF7 after it being one of the holy grails of game announcements for so long.

I know the arguments been beaten into the ground but I do think it being episodic turned a lot of people off.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's bizarre how little information and buzz there is around RE:FF7 after it being one of the holy grails of game announcements for so long.

It's not bizarre at all if you've followed any FF hype cycle over the last 15 years. They frequently announce these games super early and you don't hear about them for months or years at a time.

aitakute

Final Fantasy XIII

We released three titles across the Final Fantasy XIII series, and I think we were able to produce sufficient results. If everyone had higher expectations, we would have considered various ways to sell it. Since Lightning is immensely popular even now, we have to think about how we can bring her up in the future.
She will not be forgotten. She will be back

I want XVI to go with a super bright and lush environmental style. Maybe even cel shaded.

And full on fantasy.

Like a more realistic looking Dragon Quest.

After the audio drama, I'm actively dreading anything to do with X-3. What in the fresh fuck was all of that. Nojima, why.

One and done.

Let Toriyama have his little side project, let Nomura work that 'burning passion' on FFVII Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3, and let Tabata get nine months of sleep.

Yoshida, one of the most competent project leads Square of Japan has under their belt, directing a single player mainline entry seems like a no brainier at this point.

Someone get poor Tabata beer, then let him sleep!

I'd be said to loose Yoshida from XIV, is Ito free from janitorial duties yet?

She will not be forgotten. She will be back

Dear god, no. This is coming from someone who kinda likes FFXIII!

Oh thank god Nomura and Kitase are busy. That bodes well for XVI.

Would absolutely love this. Much as I want my boy Ito to be given some work, something new with the feel of XIV would be incredible.

DMONKUMA

I would like it if they were able to make good turn-based games again. What is Ito doing btw, is he working on XII Remaster?

Ravidrath

After X-2, I can't imagine why people would want them to revisit it after all this time.

Also, the entire point of the sequel games is to reuse as many assets as possible. XIII-2 and LR moved away from this a bit, but there was still significant asset reuse.

So asking to X-3 is basically asking them to remake all of X's assets with new tech. And the sequels don't sell nearly as well as the originals, either, so the chances of profiting on this would be very low, too.

Toth

On Final Fantasy XIII

After having released three titles for the Final Fantasy XIII series, Square Enix feels that its results were sufficient. If expectations for it were higher, they would have gone with different approaches to sell the game. He says that Lightning, especially, is still very popular, as we’ve seen with the Louis Vuitton collaboration and such, and Square Enix must think about how they’ll continue fostering her as a character.

Well, finally solid confirmation that FFXIII saga is indeed seen as a success from SE despite what many gaffers have said in the past. They tried alot of different things with XIII and the sequels ( like they should do with each FF entry imho) and recognized what worked and what did not, as evident by their recent console and mobile FF games.

And boy, Lightning sure gets mocked her alot but she still strikes a cord for the Japanese audience.

R3birthFl4me

Neo Member
Square just focus on main games like you used to, stop with this X-2, X-3 bullshit and for the love of our one and only Goddess, stop announcing shit too soon, it's getting annoying.

It'll be really interesting to see what XVI is, when it's announced, when it comes out and who's on it. Honestly with how all in they seem right now I believe them that they haven't done anything on XVI yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if they have an idea floating around for a non numbered FF that could be re-purposed into XVI. They seem pretty confident in Tabata and it interesting that in the Moogle video for XV he said that XV was his "first" numbered title. That alone isn't too weird, but he had previously said he wanted to do a smaller game next, but recently said that he doesn't think that will be possible anymore, makes me wonder if SE is locking him in to do XVI.

Toth

Also, my dream FF would be an adventure with animated Yoshitaka Amano characters on his signature watercolor backgrounds.

However, he says that there’s currently facing a wall that cannot be climbed—with director/character designer Tetsuya Nomura and producer/director Yoshinori Kitase both being occupied, they’re unable to work on Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, and Final Fantasy X-3 all at the same time.

Being occupied sure didn't stop them from having Nomura direct like 4 other KH games, and be creative director/producer and character designer on like a dozen others when they could have had him focusing just on VsXIII...

Mit-

I only want to see FFX-3 to see these designs realized:

RmGH9go.png

But it shouldn't follow anything from that audio drama. I think it'd be cool as well if they just made a 10-20 hour short/cheap/downloadable game that revisited parts of the world, featured the same kind of battle system, chock-full of cameos, etc. I think there's room for something like that. There isn't room for a 60+ hour FFX-3.

On one hand I'd love to see Spira with modern graphics, but on the other hand if X-3 is going to follow that horrible audio drama....

Qvoth

after last 2 ff being modern/futuristic setting, i think i'd like them to go back to full fantasy mode again
something like 9 or 12 would be fine

I would absolutely love a X-3. I'd love for it to have the same fixed camera-angle style and then take the same view locations of Spira from X and X-2 but update the graphics

It would be hilarious. I want that scene in full square-enix cgi quality.

Doesn't that audio drama have something about (spoiler from the drama)
Tidus getting blown up with a spira ball and his head (now detached from his body) talks to Yuna
or something like that?

Top Bottom