• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Hashimoto talks possibilites for FFXVI and X-3 (+ comments on other projects)

Toth

FFXII, XIII & XIV suffered from SQEX failing to adapt to more modern development practices (though certainly there were other missteps taken as well) which made their game development inefficient & hard to manage. FFXV was mostly a victim of the prolonged development & the aftermath of the release of XIII & XIV. A "Versus Saga" probably seemed like a good idea before the FF franchise had been dragged through the mud for almost a decade, less so after its full production was delayed until PS4 & X1 were almost upon us and after XIV 1.0 and Toriyama happened.

They've been working on improving on their weaknesses ever since the double-whammy catastrophes of FFXIII & XIV1.0 and they've been showing some obvious signs of improvement, considering they are actually able to actively develop games like FFXV, KHIII, FFVIIR, DQXI, Nier 2, World of FF etc. simultaneously instead of a single game hogging their development pipelines completely, like FFXIV ARR did. The only way I could see them failing to improve further is if they release a commercial flop after commercial flop (as far as JRPGs go) and that discouraging them from even trying anymore. Not that I expect them to release FFXVI in 2018 or anything. Developing modern AAA(A) level games with the scope & ambitiousness of FFXV takes time no matter how good your development pipelines are.

None or very little of it is Nomura's fault, that's silly to even theorize. While he has been more than "just" a character designer for the franchise for a long time, other people have still far outranked him and made the final decisions when it comes to the development & direction any particular FF would take. FFVsXIII was to be the first mainline level FF Nomura would actually direct & be fully responsible of, so blaming him for XIII & XIV is silly as hell.

You were doing so well until you went off on a subjective rant. FF XIII was not a castrophe and while not the critical darling 12 was, the game received largely positive scores ( see Metacritic). The creation of XIII-2 and LR were due to the FFXIV reboot eating all of SE's resources and the ability to use deleted and recycled material to create full length sequels. It's okay to not like XIII but SE counts the entire trilogy as a success.

Voror

You were doing so well until you went off on a subjective rant. FF XIII was not a castrophe and while not the critical darling 12 was, the game received largely positive scores ( see Metacritic). The creation of XIII-2 and LR were due to the FFXIV reboot eating all of SE's resources and the ability to use deleted and recycled material to create full length sequels. It's okay to not like XIII but SE counts the entire trilogy as a success.

You know, that really does make me wonder what would have happened had XIV not been a disaster when it launched and the subsequent pulling of all their resources for ARR not being needed. Really hard to say of course, but it's an interesting scenario to envision. Would the other XIII games have happened? How would this have affected Versus/XV?

Toth

You know, that really does make me wonder what would have happened had XIV not been a disaster when it launched and the subsequent pulling of all their resources for ARR not being needed. Really hard to say of course, but it's an interesting scenario to envision. Would the other XIII games have happened? How would this have affected Versus/XV?

I don't think FFXIII-2 would have happened but if it did, it would have been reworked to not have a ciffhanger ending like it did. LR would probably have ended up as rumored VP game it was supposed to be.

Voror

I don't think FFXIII-2 would have happened but if it did, it would have been reworked to not have a ciffhanger ending like it did. LR would probably have ended up as rumored VP game it was supposed to be.

That I can see. I did not know that detail about LR, but thinking over Lightning's whole role in that game I can see it I think.

I wonder if Nomura would have gotten anywhere with Versus or KHIII during that time period, though it might have ended up on PS3/360 and been rather different, but of course it's hard to say.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lightning Returns was originally going to be a VP game? That makes quite a bit of sense, and it might explain why I liked it much more than it deserved. Lightning = Hrist. I feel like a whole new world of possibilities has opened up before me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Lightning Returns was originally going to be a VP game? That makes quite a bit of sense, and it might explain why I liked it much more than it deserved. Lightning = Hrist. I feel like a whole new world of possibilities has opened up before me.
I'm of the opinion it would have been far better received if not for the FFXIII name.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm of the opinion it would have been far better received if not for the FFXIII name.
I liked it best out of the 3, maybe because I had such low expectations for it. Its kinda sad that they went cheap on the art assets, even the reused stuff is incredibly low res. I should replay LR some time. I hope Queen lightning shows up as DLC for XV because that means ITS ALL REAL, THEY ARE ALL ON EARTH!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Have a feeling VIIR is taking the XVI development slot and we're not going to see it for a long time :-(

When we do, my vote is for a completely new scenario, not Agni.

Ito, Yoshida, I'd be fine with either directing. Or even new blood! The main thing is they need to wed coherent, driven creative vision with pragmatic development. And get a competent script writer.

Concur on all counts.

VII-R will be the big thing for Final Fantasy going forward. Spring 2018/Fall 2019/Spring 2021 releases, maybe. (Who knows.) But I don't anticipate XVI until at least 2020 regardless.

rubius01

Wasn't that disproved? I think it was just a bunch of fan conjecture here on GAF....

Toth

Wasn't that disproved? I think it was just a bunch of fan conjecture here on GAF....

Not sure actually. I remember it was a pretty substantial rumor back in the day. But I think it was agreed that LR was some game in development before it was appropriated to be the final FFXIII game. Despite the low textures, it was such a great and innovative game. What other game can be play in a RPG world that is essentially purgatory?

Not everyone wants to play a MMO.
You can play it all the way to max level without subbing (less than a month) and barely playing with others and it's still a better ff game than pretty much any modern ff game. You can play it just like a regular single player ff game . The base game is dirt cheap and in the story department it definitely shits on the likes of xiii from very great heights. Any final fantasy fan who skips xiv because of the mmo stigma is missing out. I totally get it but it's really worth giving it a chance as it's a love letter to the whole legacy, much like ix was back in the day

What's VP?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's VP?

Valkyrie Profile

To note, FFXIII-2 and LRFFXIII were co-developed with tri-Ace, the makers of Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ask yourself this: would you REALLY trust modern Squeenix to make a new Chrono game?

Well, here's what they've done this year (more-or-less internally):

1. Dragon Quest: Builders - One of my GOTY contenders. Clone or not it's still a damn good game.
2. Final Fantasy XV - Seems like it's shaping up to be a good game. Better than FFXII and FFXIII.
3. Star Ocean 5 - Meh...
4. I Am Setsuna - It's a decent budget-sized JRPG.
5. Dragon Quest Heroes II - Heard it's more of a JRPG and step up to DQH1 so it's good.

So yeah, I'm fine with that.

_Ryo_

You can play it all the way to max level without subbing (less than a month) and barely playing with others and it's still a better ff game than pretty much any modern ff game. You can play it just like a regular single player ff game . The base game is dirt cheap and in the story department it definitely shits on the likes of xiii from very great heights. Any final fantasy fan who skips xiv because of the mmo stigma is missing out. I totally get it but it's really worth giving it a chance as it's a love letter to the whole legacy, much like ix was back in the day

Quit it. Some people are just not interested in MMOs. It doesnt matter if the story or gameplay is amazing if you can't play or complete it offline, by yourself, alone, without internet access or a subscription. In FFXIV You have to do raids and dungeons with other players. Meaning you have to rely on other people to play and complete it. I'm not interested in that, nor arr a lot of others.

That's not to say it's a bad game, or not a real Final Fantasy. But some people are just not flipping interested in online only games. Which are what MMOs are. It's fine if others are into that but it is quite annoying to be told you're wrong for not playing it because of MMO stigmas. Like, what stigma?

If people are saying it cant be the best story, or battle system or gameplay in Final Fantasy because it's an MMO, that's dumb as fuck but realize I just dont ever wanna be forced online to play a game at 3am because my insomnia wont let me sleep.

I really don't get the demand for an FFX-0... Square themselves said they considered doing it and scrapped the idea because they couldn't think of a concept that wouldn't be a retread of FFX (with a much more boring ending).

Besides, young Jecht/Auron/Braska is like the most cliche cast of FF characters ever. You have the pretty boy, the emo guy, and the dude in a dress. Give me FFX-3 any day with a dysfunctional Tidus and an adult Yuna who has relinquished her X-2 rebel phase.

FF X-3 game is worth it just to see
Tidus exploding, Yuna realizing he's stupid and fall in love with someone else.

Seems like a plot point went right above your head.
She didn't fall in love with someone else. She is trying to distance herself from him so that he doesn't suffer when she departs on her new journey.

Knowing what happened with XV, I can imagine GAF OT

FF XVI: The game your grandparents heard about, your parents waited for and your going to play it

nachum00

Ask yourself this: would you REALLY trust modern Squeenix to make a new Chrono game?
Thats a valid point. But I'd like to see them at least try. I mean if it turns out to be garbage we still have the other two. I think its worse to see the series remain dead and constantly wonder "what if?"

Concur on all counts.

VII-R will be the big thing for Final Fantasy going forward. Spring 2018/Fall 2019/Spring 2021 releases, maybe. (Who knows.) But I don't anticipate XVI until at least 2020 regardless.

Yup, the dates sound about right to me. Only wildcard is they expressed interest in heavily outsourcing 7R development, so maybe we'll get another PS4 game with Luminous?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yup, the dates sound about right to me. Only wildcard is they expressed interest in heavily outsourcing 7R development, so maybe we'll get another PS4 game with Luminous?

Hmm, maybe, but then, aren't both KH3 and DQXI running on Unreal Engine in addition to VII-R? I know KH3 is. I want to say they've mentioned DQXI being done this way as well. It's possible they're shuttering Luminous. Unreal's just too alluring.

Then again, though, I guess that could make it that much easier to try to crank another notable JRPG. They've got a fair bit on their plate right now though.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Concur on all counts.

You're quite optimistic about FF7's releases. I for once fear the third episode will not make it in this generation. The way they're working on it make it looks like each title will require a 2/3 yrs dev time. This to say that I expect XVI to be out before the trilogy ends. The utter silence of Toriyama's new projects also give me some hints on who's possibily working on it, unless Tabata gets it but I guess it'll be busy with FFXV current projects and "potentials" spinoffs or sequels if proven successful.

raven777

You're quite optimistic about FF7's releases. I for once fear the third episode will not make it in this generation. They way they're working on it make it looks like each title will require a 2/3 yrs dev time. This to say that I expect XVI to be out before the trilogy ends. The utter silence of Toriyama's new projects also give me some hints on who's possibily working on it, unless Tabata gets it but I guess it'll be busy with FFXV current projects and "potentials" spinoffs or sequels if proven successful.

I am curious and interested in Toriyama's next game but I truly hope it's not XVI.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I am curious and interested in Toriyama's next game but I truly hope it's not XVI.

About FF7 what if each chapter gets a different director? It might be fun and give others time to rest and work on new fresh projects :D like star wars or alien!

Beatrix

Some people are really optimistic about FF7Re. I doubt we'll even see the first one come out before 2018/2019. I know I'm being really pessimistic but I really believe the first FF7Re will come out in 2020 or after. You can forget about FFXVI. Probably won't be out until the next generation. I'm sorry for the negativity but I just lost hope in SE on their FF development.

FFX-3 sounds interesting if they did it on the backstory of Spira, like Jecht's story as others have said, and even before that. My only enjoyment for the FF series now are FFXV (which I've been on like 80% media blackout for so I have some hype going into it) and FFXII remaster since it seems pretty close to an actual release. After FFXV/FFXII remaster, FF will probably take a backseat for my gaming interest. This is coming from a longtime JRPG/FF fan. FF7Re will have my attention when it actually comes out. I don't give a damn anymore for SE's announcements for announcements, sort of misleading teaser trailers, and random promos for their games.

DKHF

I think he is working on VIIR as event director or maybe co-director. Leaning more towards event director. Kitase heavily implied at least the "core" XIII team (which Toriyama was obviously part of) is working on VIIR and Toriyama contributed to the original VII so I think he wants to be a part of it.

I think he is working on VIIR as event director or maybe co-director. Leaning more towards event director. Kitase heavily implied at least the "core" XIII team (which Toriyama was obviously part of) is working on VIIR and Toriyama contributed to the original VII so I think he wants to be a part of it.

I enjoy Toriyama's work a hell of a lot more when he's event director/planner, so hopefully that's the case.

raven777

About FF7 what if each chapter gets a different director? It might be fun and give others time to rest and work on new fresh projects :D like star wars or alien!
I personally don't want this situation. I want the multi-parts games to be consistent, with same director and same team working all the way.

Yea this was what I was thinking after that Kitase comment. It also would make sense with Toriyama's next title being revealed in 2015, which was the year FF7R was announced.

I am happy with Toriayama as long as he doesn't have big influence in overall game, especially character and story. I still think he is quite good at being event director so if they tie him down to specific job like that I would be fine.

Kouriozan

Seems like a plot point went right above your head.
She didn't fall in love with someone else. She is trying to distance herself from him so that he doesn't suffer when she departs on her new journey.

Yeah, I was making fun of it, I know sarcasm is hard to detect but heh.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
You're quite optimistic about FF7's releases. I for once fear the third episode will not make it in this generation. The way they're working on it make it looks like each title will require a 2/3 yrs dev time. This to say that I expect XVI to be out before the trilogy ends. The utter silence of Toriyama's new projects also give me some hints on who's possibily working on it, unless Tabata gets it but I guess it'll be busy with FFXV current projects and "potentials" spinoffs or sequels if proven successful.

I'm usually pretty "pessimistic" with this stuff, too, heh. I was like the only guy I knew back in 2013 saying FFXV was still almost three years away. Turns out it was a touch closer to 3.5. <_<;

With VII-R somewhat outsourced and relying on Unreal I just feel like the rules have changed a bit. Similarly, I think Matsuda wants the company running more smoothly in these matters and I feel like he may be doing a better job (relatively speaking) than Wada ever did in this regard. Time will tell, of course. But I don't feel like Square wants more than a 1.5 year gap between installments and no matter what they claim to the contrary I don't think a given chapter of the remake is going to be as big a project on its own as, say, FFXV or a potential FFXVI. I think by building a common framework for two or (probably) three games ahead of time, by laying the foundation and through sharing the same battle system and precise engine tooling and such, by outsourcing labor, maintaining a top staff... even Square will be able to crank these out within 18 months a pop once they get going, maybe.

When exactly will they get going, though? Yeah, I don't know. I certainly don't think this project launches in 2017. Certainly not.

And yeah, as others have said, I'm really starting to think Toriyama's Event Director for this. Which would be perfect IMO. Keep him far away from the scenario writing. This is what he does best. If he's not on this project, my guess would be a hypothetical X-3.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If X-3 isn't a prequel of Braska's pilgrimage, Square is dead to me

Why would anyone want that? We know how it turns out and already have taken the exact same journey of pilgrimage in the first game. Hell, we even got a "cliff notes" version of the character arcs from the memory spheres.

Talk about redundant...

squall211

Why would anyone want that? We know how it turns out and already have taken the exact same journey of pilgrimage in the first game. Hell, we even got a "cliff notes" version of the character arcs from the memory spheres.

Talk about redundant...

Not *exactly* the same thing but we all knew how Crisis Core was going to end before anybody played it. It didn't detract (for me anyway) how much I enjoyed the game.

Top Bottom