• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Hashimoto talks possibilites for FFXVI and X-3 (+ comments on other projects)

Koozek

But not even a small core team working on it? If they really aren't working on FF16 at all, then I guess Tabata was right in that the continued existence of the franchise depends on the success of FF15.
There's no way FFXVI hasn't already been worked on for a while. SE always has had several mainline FFs in the pipe at the same time. Hashimoto, or producers/directors in general, always deny the existence of games they haven't yet revealed. Was the same with FFVIIR, see my post above.

Also regarding FFXV being make-or-break: no, it's not.
GameSpot:
In previous interviews you've said this game is a make-or-break moment for Final Fantasy franchise. Now that you're essentially finished, is it a make or a break? Where do you see Final Fantasy in five or 10 years time?

Tabata:
I don't think whether Final Fantasy XV does well or not will kill the franchise or keep it living. I don't think it's really going to mean that. But certainly there are a number of things already clear that Final Fantasy XV will bring to the future of the franchise. To give you a few examples of that, first of all the fact that we're bring it out as a global simultaneous launch. I think in the future that will really be what Final Fantasy does. Secondly is the number of languages and regions that the game is localised for, we should carry on doing that. Then of course the technology used to power Final Fantasy XV means that we can depict and create game experiences that the series just couldn't have done before. I think that's going to shape the future of the Final Fantasy series.

Yeah, I'm sure FFXVI is already in the basic story/systems/world/art design stage, but it may not be anywhere near to an FMV concept let alone a vertical slice.

I had no idea there was demand for a X-3.
I am really out of touch.

I think Square needs to live more in the present and stfu about future projects that could not release for years. It's better marketing probably to seem competent and as if they can release anything they wish in a timely manner, especially after FFXV.
I think the Fallout 4 style announcement should be adopted. Until a few months before release, they should say nothing.

But that's just me, I guess.

Square pretty much created it themselves with the FFX-2.5 novel and the Remaster's ending audio drama...

They didn't exactly create demand with those things either. Most people heard/read that shit and were like "ugh no what even is this"

but it makes sense as a next project to put Toriyama on, since Nomura's basically KH/FF7 only from here on out and FFXVI is probably an Itou joint

TDLink

People wanted X-3 ever since it was talked about when X-2 was coming out over a decade ago. There were even some concept screens released, I believe. The X world was something a lot of people enjoyed and both games did well. But Square moved on. No one really likes what they presented with the remasters a couple years ago. But there probably still is a general desire to return to the world of Spira.

People wanted X-3 ever since it was talked about when X-2 was coming out over a decade ago. There were even some concept screens released, I believe. The X world was something a lot of people enjoyed and both games did well. But Square moved on. No one really likes what they presented with the remasters a couple years ago. But there probably still is a general desire to return to the world of Spira.

Huh? No.

Koozek

I would absolutely love a FFX-3 directed by Toriyama based on the brilliantly stupid FFX-2.5 novel. Mostly out of morbid curiosity, though :D I mean, FFX-2 already didn't respect the original, so who cares what they do with it further.

I urge everyone to read these translations of the novel, undeniably Nojima's life's work:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daishō~

I might be remembering wrong, but I recall some sort of battle shot that was not X or X-2 and yet X related.
Only thing we have are Nomura's new character designs for Tidus and Yuna from the FFX/X-2 HD bonus audio drama, which continues the story of the FFX-2.5 novel:

Code:
[IMG]https://squareportal.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/yunatidusx3concept.png[/IMG]

Oh, and of the two new characters, Chuami and Kurugum, who are the protagonists of the audio drama:
Code:
[IMG]http://cetraconnection.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/FF-X-X-2-HD-Screenshot-02-400x276.png[/IMG]

Philippo

Honestly? I think it's already at a very advanced state of pre-production, maybe even moving to full production by next year or early 2018.
Definitely expecting an announcement at the end of next year for the series 30th anniversary.

TDLink

Only thing we have are Nomura's new character designs for Tidus and Yuna from the FFX/X-2 HD bonus audio drama, which continues the story of the FFX-2.5 novel:

Code:
[IMG]https://squareportal.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/yunatidusx3concept.png[/IMG]

Oh, and of the two new characters, Chuami and Kurugum, who are the protagonists of the audio drama:
Code:
[IMG]http://cetraconnection.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/FF-X-X-2-HD-Screenshot-02-400x276.png[/IMG]

Yeah I am aware of those. What am I thinking of is a lot older. I swear it was in some sort of gaming magazine. Maybe I'm just completely crazy.

TheTux

My dream is to let Naoki Yoshida direct XVI and for it to be a new concept we've never seen before.

I too would like to see a new concept we've never seen before... but isn't Yoshida busy with FFXIV? And isn't he going to be busy with it for many years?

kromeo

Yeah I am aware of those. What am I thinking of is a lot older. I swear it was in some sort of gaming magazine. Maybe I'm just completely crazy.

There were some concept shots of a FFXII spin off that never got made, maybe thinking of those?

Loke13

Narrowing it down to "every offline game of the last decade" doesn't narrow it down very much.
That wasn't the poster's point though. The implication was that recent Final Fantasy's have been veering away from its Fantasy setting and drifting more into Sci Fi or "modern" setting when the evidence is anything but. Whether the mainline game is online or offline doesn't invalidate this point.

IIRC the original plan was for X-2 to be a Yuna-centered game and for X-3 to be a Rikku-centered game but those both got folded into FFX-2.

nachum00

FFX-3, FFXV, FFXVI, FFVIIR, WoFF, FFXIIR, ugh now that's too much FF. Can these guys make something that doesn't have FF in the title (or KH, or DQ). SE have become the Activision of Japan. Just replace FF with CoD only SE aren't competent enough to get their games out the window with any kind of normalcy.
For real. Just make a new Chrono game.

But no. Instead we get more sequels to FFX. One of the worst in the franchise.

IIRC the original plan was for X-2 to be a Yuna-centered game and for X-3 to be a Rikku-centered game but those both got folded into FFX-2.

Kitase claimed that he was misquoted or mistranslated by the press and that he never said anything about a Rikku-centered X-3. But who knows. It wouldn't be the first time Kitase straight up lied or took back a statement.

I love X and its world and characters but not here for X-3 if that means having to deal with Chuami. How she's written is totally obnoxious and very unlikable and I really don't want her being too much of a focus.

And as much as the ideas presented here in this thread about a prequel would be cool, I bet there are more that outnumber us that wants Tidus and Yuna again.

I don't see them not using the faces of the X universe for X-3

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
From a selfish personal standpoint, I'm quite cozy with the (likely) prospect of Toriyama being given the reins to FFX-3. I love FFX, but disregard X-2's existence already; X-3 picking up from that painfully poor remaster content doesn't really faze me one way or the other. As a Square diehard I'll follow it in the production phase but the odds of my ever playing it are slim.

Of course, I'm aware there are many fans who enjoyed FFX-2's plot and would rather Spira's world be carried forth in a superior fashion. I'm sorry, y'all. D:

Byvar

Honestly I don't want a X-3. Even if Spira with current-gen visuals would be fantastic and I would buy it just for that, I can't imagine them actually being able to salvage the story after X-2 completely wrecked the story and conclusion of the first game - unless they forget about X-2 and set it in the past with Jecht & co, making it a prequel that respects the story of the first game.
As for a new FF, I want it if it's Ito's work or if it has a new director entirely, though what I'm looking forward to most right now is Sakaguchi's new console game, which is set to be revealed within the coming year. After Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and The Last Story I'm fairly confident it will be another masterpiece.
500x_ffxiiips2_04.jpg
This thing? It became FFXIII.
( More screenshots at the source: https://www.unseen64.net/2010/02/23/final-fantasy-13-xiii-ps2-prototype/ )

yunbuns

Braska's journey sounds like a good idea in concept, but would you really want to play a game that already has a good 60% of its plot in flashback spheres in FFX? There's not many blanks to fill.

This. Also Braska came off as an incredibly boring character (at least to me) based on the few spheres we saw of him and the dynamic between him, Jecht, and Auron didn't seem interesting either. X-3 could be a hot mess but they've heard the complaints so can change it into something great if they're serious about making a sequel. I love Spira and X-2 so I'm all in either way.

I would really love an X-3. I would even be ok if it was renamed to XVI

A sequel should NEVER become an entry in the mainline series, but remain a sequel. It is why I wouldn't want another Ivalice game in the mainline series, because FFXII serves that purpose. There could be another spinoff title set in Ivalice(sequel, prequel, spinoff), but let each game focus on a new world with new characters. I might not be much for Agni's Philosophy, but I would pick THAT becoming a mainline installment OVER a direct FFX-3 or another Ivalice game becoming a new mainline installment.

Aurizen

A sequel should NEVER become an entry in the mainline series, but remain a sequel. It is why I wouldn't want another Ivalice game in the mainline series, because FFXII serves that purpose. There could be another spinoff title set in Ivalice(sequel, prequel, spinoff), but let each game focus on a new world with new characters. I might not be much for Agni's Philosophy, but I would pick THAT becoming a mainline installment OVER a direct FFX-3 or another Ivalice game becoming a new mainline installment.

Yeah I see your point. I actually wouldn't mind Agni's Philosophy as a XVI installment.

So now that Verendus has been confirmed to be full of shit, I guess we can believe Hashimoto when he says development for XVI hasn't started yet...

So now that Verendus has been confirmed to be full of shit, I guess we can believe Hashimoto when he says development for XVI hasn't started yet...

not really? he was banned because he didn't answer back and therefore his impression of FF15 was fake.
However they said that he has&had some inside infos

I don't care for it but it's really fucking stupid that Swuare can't give junior folks a chance to roll with projects. Nomura doesn't need to be involved in X-3 beyond giving his stamp of approval for updated designs.

Famassu

Considering we are talking about a company that has had 2-3 mainline FFs at some level of production simultaneously for decades at this point, it's hard to imagine that some kind of early development hasn't been going on for FFXVI for quite some time by now (figuring out the setting, coming up with the main scenario or at least some kind of rough draft, thinking about the graphical style, possibly even some early gameplay prototypes at the very least)

I don't care for it but it's really fucking stupid that Swuare can't give junior folks a chance to roll with projects. Nomura doesn't need to be involved in X-3 beyond giving his stamp of approval for updated designs.
They give chances to junior developers all the time. FFX is just so closely tied with certain people that they'd at least have to have the time to produce or at least part-time-oversee the project's development, even if they aren't involved in the day-to-day development. I mean, Tabata himself is a result of that, first being given a chance by Nomura with a small mobile game a little over a decade ago, then a portable FFVII spin-off, then an original portable FF and he has just recently finished (or "finished"...) the development of a huge console mainline FF.

my dream aswell but we have to face the reality: Sakaguchi would be drinking wine all day in the SE office, while flaming people for their incompetence.

So, just like in the good old days.

I mentioned before that Square needs a story doctor, though I'm willing to bet they need a GOOD director, at least someone like Sakaguchi. Since Sakaguchi's departure, every FF game to be released since then(the period after FFXI in the mainline series) seems like incomplete installments. FFXIV was the only one I think got remedied by Yoshida taking the helm, but every before ARR, it was on par with the others and a LOT Of shit happened behind the scenes. FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIV(Vanilla) and FFXV all had HORRIBLE development cycles with a lot of shit going wrong. If that's how it is, regardless of it being something new, FFXVI will suffer a similar fate of mismanagement unless someone steps in and kicks some asses into gear. Kitase sure ain't gonna do it(he let the whole FFXIII thing happen).

Top Bottom