• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking news: A-Rod and other star MLB players still taking PEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

The Miami New Times has published an expose on Biogenesis, an anti-aging clinic in Miami that doubled as a PED supplier to professional athletes.

Open the neat spreadsheet and scroll past the listing of local developers, prominent attorneys, and personal trainers. You'll find a lengthy list of nicknames: Mostro, Al Capone, El Cacique, Samurai, Yukon, Mohamad, Felix Cat, and D.R.

Then check out the main column, where their real names flash like an all-star roster of professional athletes with Miami ties: San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera, Oakland A's hurler Bartolo Colón, pro tennis player Wayne Odesnik, budding Cuban superstar boxer Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Texas Rangers slugger Nelson Cruz. There's even the New York Yankees' $275 million man himself, Alex Rodriguez, who has sworn he stopped juicing a decade ago.

Read further and you'll find more than a dozen other baseball pros, from former University of Miami ace Cesar Carrillo to Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal to Washington Nationals star Gio Gonzalez. Notable coaches are there too, including UM baseball conditioning guru Jimmy Goins.

The names are all included in an extraordinary batch of records from Biogenesis, an anti-aging clinic tucked into a two-story office building just a hard line drive's distance from the UM campus. They were given to New Times by an employee who worked at Biogenesis before it closed last month and its owner abruptly disappeared. The records are clear in describing the firm's real business: selling performance-enhancing drugs, from human growth hormone (HGH) to testosterone to anabolic steroids.

Interviews with six customers and two former employees corroborate the tale told by the patient files, the payment records, and the handwritten notebooks kept by the clinic's chief, 49-year-old Anthony Bosch.

Bosch's history with steroids also adds credence to the paperwork. The son of a prominent Coral Gables physician named Pedro Publio Bosch, he was connected with banned substances when slugger Manny Ramirez was suspended for violating Major League Baseball's drug policy in 2009. At the time, MLB confirmed the Drug Enforcement Administration was probing the father and son for allegedly providing Ramirez with HCG, a compound often used at the tail end of steroid cycles.

Read the full story here.

sfedai0

Banned
Baseball has become a caricature of itself . Just let them go all out. I dont mind seeing 110mph pitches and 600 ft homers.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Who gives a shit.

Whether it's PEDs or HGH or whatever, people are always going to find something to put in their body to give them an edge and ways to beat tests. There's way too much money, fame, etc. involved for them not to. Instead of having witch hunts like this, maybe they can change the culture around the sports to stop this shit. But it's easier to point the finger and offer zero solutions I guess.

jdeAe6Y1r5auJ_e.jpg

The thing that sucks about baseball is that if a hitter does well, one automatically assumes they're juicuing. I'm still waiting for Pujols and Kemp to pop.

Arod was questionable this season because of hip surgery, but makes you wonder now if that's just a ruse and they're just getting ready for a lengthy PED suspension.

there's a baseball player named Felix Cat? =O

Umm....

You'll find a lengthy list of nicknames: Mostro, Al Capone, El Cacique, Samurai, Yukon, Mohamad, Felix Cat, and D.R.

I don't think there's a player named Samurai or Al Capone, either. But I'm pretty sure the implication is that we're talking about Felix Hernandez, Ichiro maybe, and I'm not sure who Al Capone would be. But I think the idea is that they're well known names.

mclem

Wut?? Since when has A-Rod meant Roddick? And Roddick could take all the PEDs and it would do jack shit to his game.

Since I saw him mentioned as a power player in a sport - with no further context - and assumed it was the one sportsman I knew who fit the A Rod pattern. This is entirely on me, here.

Avinexus

Umm....

I don't think there's a player named Samurai or Al Capone, either. But I'm pretty sure the implication is that we're talking about Felix Hernandez, Ichiro maybe, and I'm not sure who Al Capone would be. But I think the idea is that they're well known names.

Ichiro? He is probably the least likely player to do PEDs. Although now that he is a Yankee, they might have tainted him.

params7

Banned
One of the reasons I really can't get into BB anymore. Either they should legalize it and let everyone get on PED's or strictly enforce the policy. It takes the integrity of the sport otherwise.

gcubed

not sure anyone cares about A-Rod anymore. No one believed his "i only took it for a short period of time" bullshit anyway. Gio Gonzalez though, that'll hurt the Nats if there is evidence for suspension

Who gives a shit.

Whether it's PEDs or HGH or whatever, people are always going to find something to put in their body to give them an edge and ways to beat tests. There's way too much money, fame, etc. involved for them not to. Instead of having witch hunts like this, maybe they can change the culture around the sports to stop this shit. But it's easier to point the finger and offer zero solutions I guess.

It's also easier to say shit like "change the culture around the sports", which offers absolutely no solution as well.

How about people stick to the fucking rules of their sport? It's really that simple. Fuck the cheaters and catch them however you can.

I'm all for the rules against cheating being even more serious. You cheat once, you get a harsh ass penalty. You get caught again, you're done forever. If you make the rules that serious very few people would bother.

Slizz

Im convinced 75% of the clinics down here in So. Fla are fronts for something else. Either drugs or money laundering.

entremet

People are insane if this stuff isn't rampant in other sports. Victor Conte's interview in the Joe Rogan podcast was pretty telling.

winjet81

I always have a good laugh when baseball writers boycott adding players to the hall of fame because of suspected PED use, considering they're practically all guilty.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
No, not gio! I don't think anyone is clean. Kinda putting me off on the sport entirely.

People are insane if this stuff isn't rampant in other sports. Victor Conte's interview in the Joe Rogan podcast was pretty telling.

I can't help but wonder if that dude has now decided to make a living off of talking about PEDs, and therefore EVERYONE is taking PEDs according to him.

gutshot

It's also easier to say shit like "change the culture around the sports", which offers absolutely no solution as well.

How about people stick to the fucking rules of their sport? It's really that simple. Fuck the cheaters and catch them however you can.

I'm all for the rules against cheating being even more serious. You cheat once, you get a harsh ass penalty. You get caught again, you're done forever. If you make the rules that serious very few people would bother.

In MLB, the rules are already nearly as serious as you describe. First offense is a 50 game suspension, second is 100 games and the third is a lifetime ban. And yet, players still take the stuff.

diunxx

You'll find a lengthy list of nicknames: Mostro, Al Capone, El Cacique, Samurai, Yukon, Mohamad, Felix Cat, and D.R.

lol pretty sure El Cacique and D.R. are Dominicans, smh

In MLB, the rules are already nearly as serious as you describe. First offense is a 50 game suspension, second is 100 games and the third is a lifetime ban. And yet, players still take the stuff.

But we do have reasons to believe PED use has dropped off in MLB, and this year they start HGH testing, so I think it's going to make another dramatic drop. So in other words, it's working, and baseball has one of the more serious penalty systems in place.

Homerun numbers are pretty clear proof this is happening. They're finally returning to somewhat normal ranges, as they were prior to the steroid era beginning.

crpav

When will other sports start coming out with PED use stories? you can't tell me that NFL players and even NBA players don't use anything. Look at Lebron and tell me he is clean. Maybe he is clean but I think he was using since high school.

winjet81

But we do have reasons to believe PED use has dropped off in MLB, and this year they start HGH testing, so I think it's going to make another dramatic drop. So in other words, it's working, and baseball has one of the more serious penalty systems in place.

Homerun numbers are pretty clear proof this is happening. They're finally returning to somewhat normal ranges, as they were prior to the steroid era beginning.

Either that, or pitchers are catching up to hitters in PED usage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom