• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking news: A-Rod and other star MLB players still taking PEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

Why does baseball get busted with this so much? Football and basketball players also use PEDs en masse, so I'm surprised they're not caught this often.

As for ARod, I'm not surprised. I called it over a decade ago. I played against him in high school, and there were rumors that he was juicing even then. He's still an incredibly talented player though. PEDs don't help that.

Hopefully this makes those salty, old baseball writers open their eyes to the fact that PEDs have been a part of sports since they were first discovered. No one questions how Nolan Ryan threw high heat in his 40s? How about Cal Ripken never missing a game at short? I always suspected Ron Gant of roiding. Ricky Henderson? I'm just listing players from when I started watching baseball.

Bonds is my favorite player, and I think he deserves to be in the HoF. I knew something changed about him when he got to San Fran and suddenly swelled up like Matt Williams. But he'd already won 3 MVPs before he hit the juice. It's time to face the facts that this is how baseball was and is. The best players have to use to stay ahead of the other guys who use. PEACE.

As for ARod, I'm not surprised. I called it over a decade ago. I played against him in high school, and there were rumors that he was juicing even then. He's still an incredibly talented player though. PEDs don't help that.

It doesn't help that, but it just helps them crush previous homerun records that were held for nearly 50 years. Other than that, doesn't help one bit. Nope.

Also, funny that the moment baseball implements a strict testing system homeruns drop by a large amount.

Great, more phony outrage now. What we are learning more and more is that lots of people took and are taking steroids, not just a select few "haves". Everyone from journeymen minor leaguers to middling platoon and utility players. Yet not everyone has OBP'd .500 like Barry Bonds. Let them use. The greats are sill great.

Another thing that sort of irks me, but with more and more that we are learning about this shit over the last decade, can people stop the "Bonds and Clemens are different because they were Hall of Famers before they used!" narrative? When a lardass like Bartolo Colon is being implicated in PED usage, you'd think people would stop trying to use the "eye test" to determine who is using what and how long they've been doing it. Not everyone uses PEDs because they want to look like a bodybuilder.

The most amazing thing ever would be for Cal Ripkin Jr to be implicated in using steroids. It would destroy the worlds of so many of the old fart baseball writers.

iso135

Not to say that I am surprised, but, seeing Gio and Cruz up there could possibly be a big deal. Couple guys that I don't think had been linked yet.

iso135

Another thing that sort of irks me, but with more and more that we are learning about this shit over the last decade, can people stop the "Bonds and Clemens are different because they were Hall of Famers before they used!" narrative? When a lardass like Bartolo Colon is being implicated in PED usage, you'd think people would stop trying to use the "eye test" to determine who is using what and how long they've been doing it. Not everyone uses PEDs because they want to look like a bodybuilder.

The most amazing thing ever would be for Cal Ripkin Jr to be implicated in using steroids. It would destroy the worlds of so many of the old fart baseball writers.

Truth. In my opinion players public image and ability to be enshrined in the HoF should not be related to PED use until it is known 100 percent which players did and which players did not use PEDs. Too often people are mistaken into thinking, he is too fat/skinny to have used PEDs, or he is so huge he clearly used PEDs. It leads to too many assumptions and false bias'.

Also, nice pic.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't help that, but it just helps them crush previous homerun records that were held for nearly 50 years. Other than that, doesn't help one bit. Nope.

Also, funny that the moment baseball implements a strict testing system homeruns drop by a large amount.
Lots of things changed in baseball in those 50 years, and hell over history. Just pointing to PEDs is lazy. I could take a bunch of juice but I couldn't go play professional baseball.

Into

Historically baseball always seemed to have been shock full of controversy than almost any other mainstream sport save boxing

Before performance enhancing drugs came really into play in the 80's, it was the insane amount of gambling problems, fixed games and what not.

When the news story really gained traction in the late 90's early 2000, i was amazed at how many baseball die hard fans, who knew all the stats, all the numbers, were still willingly looking past the insane amounts of home runs that were being produced, statistically it made no sense, yet nobody questioned it for some time.

I do not know what you can do at this point, either with time fans will accept this in their game or..i don't know. It sucks

SoulClap

You mean Dwyane Wade's jawline isn't natural?

Seems like it is.

ib1QrUj674tdN7.jpg

We have absolutely no evidence to suggest that will ever happen, but yeah, it would be crazy. I really don't know what your point was in bringing him up, although I suspect it's in hope of excusing the actions of your favorite players from the steroid era.

Lots of things changed in baseball in those 50 years, and hell over history. Just pointing to PEDs is lazy. I could take a bunch of juice but I couldn't go play professional baseball.

We were talking about baseball, and you're talking about world history now? Okay.

Angry Fork

Agreed, but if they just embrace PEDs, it'll still probably be "500mg for the Yankees and the Giants, 75mg for the Royals and Pirates".

I used to think this is what would be the main problem, that some people would be able to afford the best drugs and others wouldn't, but even the worst professional sports teams still make millions of dollars don't they? I have a hard time believing the drugs are so expensive that even the worst couldn't afford them.

But it would definitely suck for players who genuinely don't want to take them and can't compete because of that. You'd have to make another league for non-PED players or something.

Why does baseball get busted with this so much? Football and basketball players also use PEDs en masse, so I'm surprised they're not caught this often.

Hopefully this makes those salty, old baseball writers open their eyes to the fact that PEDs have been a part of sports since they were first discovered. No one questions how Nolan Ryan threw high heat in his 40s? How about Cal Ripken never missing a game at short? I always suspected Ron Gant of roiding. Ricky Henderson? I'm just listing players from when I started watching baseball.

Bonds is my favorite player, and I think he deserves to be in the HoF. I knew something changed about him when he got to San Fran and suddenly swelled up like Matt Williams. But he'd already won 3 MVPs before he hit the juice. It's time to face the facts that this is how baseball was and is. The best players have to use to stay ahead of the other guys who use. PEACE.
i think it's because people "don't expect" it with Baseball.

Mully

I think Brian Cashman is a GM, but I'm really starting to think he's not accidentally picking certain washed up pitchers and field players that suddenly play as well as they did in their prime when they're signed with the Yankees.

Bartolo Colon
Raul Ibanez
Andruw Jones
Sergio Mitre
Derek Lowe
Kerry Wood
Lance Berkman
Orlando Hernandez "El-Duque" (Long time ago, but really questionable now)

I'm a Yankee fan, and it's really odd that each year since 2008, we've struck gold with these types of signings and re-signings. Of which, we now know that most likely Colon and Mitre juiced. It's a real stretch, but maybe Cashman aided in their juicing or knew they started juicing and gave them a shot because of it.

legend166

I just can't understand the logic of people whose response to this is "They should just let them dope" rather than "We need to get rid of this."

Think of the logical outcomes of making PEDs legal in sports:

1. It will even more provide an advantage to the rich teams. Just like Lance Armstrong in cycling.

2. The health risks. Do you really want to make it a condition that to play professional sports you must put your long term health at risk? People might say "Oh well that already happens anyway." No it doesn't. A dodgy shoulder doesn't compare to the hugely increased risk of a heart attack.

3. If you don't think it's going to trickle down to amateur sports, you're delusional. It already does to an extent. But if it becomes legal and promoted in pro sports, it's going to be hugely widespread in amateur sports, where people don't have doctors on hand 24/7 to monitor usage.

I just can't understand the logic of people whose response to this is "They should just let them dope" rather than "We need to get rid of this."

Think of the logical outcomes of making PEDs legal in sports:

1. It will even more provide an advantage to the rich teams. Just like Lance Armstrong in cycling.

2. The health risks. Do you really want to make it a condition that to play professional sports you must put your long term health at risk? People might say "Oh well that already happens anyway." No it doesn't. A dodgy shoulder doesn't compare to the hugely increased risk of a heart attack.

3. If you don't think it's going to trickle down to amateur sports, you're delusional. It already does to an extent. But if it becomes legal and promoted in pro sports, it's going to be hugely widespread in amateur sports, where people don't have doctors on hand 24/7 to monitor usage.

1. Regulate the use and the advantage is lost.

2. Again, regulation. A regimented health program with accepted levels of drugs will keep users from abusing and destroying their bodies. Yes taking drugs is a health risk, but it is far more dangerous to have players from all professions self medicating.

3. What amateur sports are we talking about? Cycling, track, swimming, weightlifting, high school football? All rampant with drug use. This is isn't a case of trickle down - athletics and drug use are grossly intertwined.

shira

Baseball has become a caricature of itself . Just let them go all out. I dont mind seeing 110mph pitches and 600 ft homers.

The only reason it is illegal is because it is "dangerous" or "does harm" to the athlete.

If you jack muscles too much they screw up bones and joints.

kottila

But we do have reasons to believe PED use has dropped off in MLB, and this year they start HGH testing, so I think it's going to make another dramatic drop. So in other words, it's working, and baseball has one of the more serious penalty systems in place.

I'm sure the rigorous testing protocols will make PED usage impossible. Only idiots get caught (and that is valid for almost any sport although some are better at testing than others)

Joe

Listen to this Joe Rogan podcast with Victor Conte

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azzhD2QJ8B0

He was at the center of PEDs and pro sports and he believes everyone from Usain Bolt to half of the UFC is on PEDs. To him drug tests in sports are dummy tests, as in only dummies fail them.

He's very knowledgable and it's an entertaining listen.

edit: current testing in all sports even the Olympics is shit. There's testosterone players are taking now in the day that wouldn't be detectable by night time and time release capsules that get implanted into the ass cheek that are undetectable by current testing.

I take it class is slang for amphetamines? And beer and hot dogs is a term for playing in the pre-integration era?

I've always hated this picture

Newsflash. Amphetamines don't produce nearly the positive result that steroids do. So they're not comparable.

I'm sure the rigorous testing protocols will make PED usage impossible. Only idiots get caught (and that is valid for almost any sport although some are better at testing than others)

So the "throw the baby out with the bath water" argument. OK.

It's never going to be impossible, but your claim that "only idiots get caught" is proven nonsense. Homeruns have dropped off dramatically in the past 5-7 years, which just so happens to coincide with baseball's serious drug testing being implemented.

So that is pretty clear proof that it's not only idiots getting caught. If the drug use was anywhere near what it was before, we'd still be seeing 60+ homeruns a year, from several guys no less, and that is not the case at all right now. When HGH testing starts this year, drug use is going to cut down even further than it already has been.

So maybe some people will still be using some shit, but the numbers say whatever it is it's not nearly as effective as pure steroids and HGH were. That is a 'win' for the sport.

kottila

So the "throw the baby out with the bath water" argument. claim that "only idiots get caught" is proven nonsense. Homeruns have dropped off dramatically in the past 5-7 years, which just so happens to coincide with baseball's serious drug testing being implemented.

So that is pretty clear proof that it's not only idiots getting caught. If the drug use was anywhere near what it was before, we'd still be seeing 60+ homeruns a year, from several guys no less, and that is not the case at all right now. When HGH testing starts this year, drug use is going to cut down even further than it already has been.

So maybe some people will still be using some shit, but the numbers say whatever it is it's not nearly as effective as pure steroids and HGH were. That is a 'win' for the sport.

All facts point to doping use being an endemic problem in sports with much more rigorous testing regiments than MLB.

But compared to the old rules it's a massive improvement. Just look at this, it's laughable (from wiki)
Testing is administered via scientifically-validated urine test.

During season play (beginning with Spring Training through the end of the Regular Season), there is no random drug testing.

More testing will lead to reduced use, levelling the playing field, but dopers are at least two steps agead of regulation

When money is involved like in pro sports, what do you expect? I say let's have a free for all. Drugs! Chemicals! Surgeries! Gene splicing! Chimeras! Cyborg! Androids! AI!

legend166

1. Regulate the use and the advantage is lost.

So you implement a drug salary cap?

2. Again, regulation. A regimented health program with accepted levels of drugs will keep users from abusing and destroying their bodies. Yes taking drugs is a health risk, but it is far more dangerous to have players from all professions self medicating.

So you regulate it, and players will immediately start following the rules? Even though the stance will be that PEDs are okay?

3. What amateur sports are we talking about? Cycling, track, swimming, weightlifting, high school football? All rampant with drug use. This is isn't a case of trickle down - athletics and drug use are grossly intertwined.

I'm talking about the 15 year old kid who will need to take PEDs to get on his high school team. Or what about the kids out there who want to play, but don't particularly want to ruin their bodies with PEDs, so they are lost to sports forever?

The answer to PED usage is to increase testing and penalties, not open it up for free use. I can't believe there's people in here who think a 50 game suspension is a serious penalty. It's not even a third of the season. The standard WADA penalty for PED usage is two years. That's more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom