• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Suspends 12 more for PEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-08-05-13-24-18

AP Source: A-Rod lone holdout in drug cases
NEW YORK (AP) -- A person familiar with the negotiations tells The Associated Press that all players targeted for drug suspensions other than Alex Rodriguez have accepted 50-game penalties from Major League Baseball.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Monday because the suspensions had not yet been announced.

The person says All-Stars Nelson Cruz of Texas, Jhonny Peralta of Detroit and Everth Cabrera of San Diego are among the 12 who accepted penalties Monday.

Others include Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and outfielder Fernando Martinez; Philadelphia pitcher Antonio Bastardo; Seattle catcher Jesus Montero; New York Mets infielder Jordany Valdespin and outfielder Cesar Puello; Houston pitcher Sergio Escalona; San Diego pitcher Fautino De Los Santos; and free agent pitcher Jordan Norberto.

MLB informed the Yankees on Sunday that Rodriguez will be suspended for his links to the Biogenesis of America clinic, which was accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs, a person familiar with that decision said. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity because no statement was authorized.

The Yankees weren't told the exact length of the suspension, though they were under the impression it will be through the 2014 season, the person said.

Milwaukee outfielder Ryan Braun accepted a 65-game suspension two weeks ago, bringing to 14 the number of players - including Rodriguez - facing discipline in the probe, which was sparked when the Miami New Times published documents obtained from former Biogenesis associate Porter Fisher that linked several players to the clinic.

• Nelson Cruz, Rangers outfielder.

• Everth Cabrera, Padres shortstop.

• Jhonny Peralta, Tigers shortstop.

• Antonio Bastardo, Phillies reliever.

• Jordany Valdespin, Mets outfielder.

• Francisco Cervelli, Yankees catcher.

• Jesus Montero, Mariners catcher.

• Cesar Puello, Mets outfield prospect.

• Sergio Escalona, Houston Astros pitching prospect.

• Fernando Martinez, Yankees outfield prospect.

• Fautino De Los Santos, free-agent pitcher.

• Jordan Norberto, free-agent pitcher.
Who is the dealer for the non-Latin players?

Znl5zpg.gif

Update:
3Rq7tDj.png

Excluding A-fraud, the list is anticlimactic because it was rumored to be all Latino's and it turned out to be true, and the other named players weren't going to be suspended again (Colon and Cabrera) because they already served suspensions.

turnbuckle

And we now why Jhonny Peralta magically stopped sucking.

Except these records cover the period when he was sucking! I would think he's playing clean this season because, well, it'd be stupid to tempt fate knowing before the season started that you're on a suspected PED user list.

He was due for some regression anyways. He's been very fortunate on balls in play. Sure glad Detroit picked up Iglesias from Boston. Our team is better with Iglesias and Peralta both playing, but Detroit should do alright throughout the suspension period.

Except these records cover the period when he was sucking! I would think he's playing clean this season because, well, it'd be stupid to tempt fate knowing before the season started that you're on a suspected PED user list.

He was due for some regression anyways. He's been very fortunate on balls in play. Sure glad Detroit picked up Iglesias from Boston. Our team is better with Iglesias and Peralta both playing, but Detroit should do alright throughout the suspension period.

What are the dates, exactly? Does any of it cover his time with the Indians?

Peralta was pretty much garbage when he was with us. I was happy to be rid of him.

sangreal

It's hard to believe that the MLB is acting in good faith when they continuously leak this stuff.

I think they crossed that line when they started buying medical records off the street

What are the dates, exactly? Does any of it cover his time with the Indians?

Peralta was pretty much garbage when he was with us. I was happy to be rid of him.

the clinic was only around for a few months in 2012

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
No Cincinnati Reds on the list!!! Dirty fuckin cheaters. Everyone else should be disqualified so we can make the playoffs ;p

And people wonder why he's trying to fight it?

The dude has no shame. He already got caught once. He claimed it was in the past. Now we found out he was lying and cheating again. There was also evidence he tried to cover it up once MLB found out about it.

Fuck him. He's lucky he wasn't banned for life.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just end A-Rod's career

Give him 5 year suspension, no lifetime ban

Let him suffer

He will have no avenue to have as a saving grace

Yankees won't want him, Mariners hate him, Rangers detest him, all of Baseball already hated him, now it's just truly realized and will be vilified

3rdman

And people wonder why he's trying to fight it?

No...I heard a report that he was offered the same 50 games that everyone else was getting. This is about money...if he accept the ban, he basically gives up (part or all) of his guaranteed contract.

I don't know the details of the contract or the deal but this is what I heard which made sense to me.

sangreal

The dude has no shame. He already got caught once. He claimed it was in the past. Now we found out he was lying and cheating again.

He wasn't "caught" doing anything. His name got leaked from the "anonymous" voluntary survey test that turned up over 100 players and now he is carrying the weight from the whole list. He copped to it too, which is more than I can say for David Ortiz whose name also got leaked

There was also evidence he tried to cover it up once MLB found out about it.

Fuck him. He's lucky he wasn't banned for life.

Melky failed a drug test and hired someone to create a fake webstore to trick the MLB into believing the failed test was from spiked legal supplements - 50 day suspension

BFIB

3 Yankees players and one former Yankee most likely involved with BioGenesis while under the Yankees system.

clemenx

Banned
A-Rod's suspension reeks of personal vendetta and the fact that he's the perfect scapegoat that everyone hates to make it seem like this "operation" is some sort of big success against PEDs

Fuck the Yankees, I hope they have to continue paying the man, they're probably conspiring with MLB trying to get rid of his salary.

Friggz

The entire thing is an embarrassment to baseball. As a die hard yankee fan, it sickens me to know that they are somehow trying to rid themselves of this contract.

they are a better team with him on the field, and at this point they should be doing whatever they can do win more games.

JHall

I hope A-Rod gets the ban hammer for life.

Also, let Pete Rose back in. In my eyes PED usage is worse than gambling.

And yet none of these guys failed piss tests. Good job on the testing, MLB.

Also, let Pete Rose back in. In my eyes PED usage is worse than gambling.

ridiculous opinion. PED usage, even at its worst, still involves a player trying to help his team. It may not be the sole reason guys use PEDs, but gambling puts in question the entire integrity of the sport. It blurs the line between actual sports and sports entertainment.

Friggz

also judging from the list in the OP, i wasnt aware that F-mart was a prospect anymore. Seems like more of an ORG guy now. lol.

And yet they took the 50 games because they were guilty.

Of course they were. Not saying they weren't. But all this tells me is that it is easy to cheat in baseball as long as you don't use your own name when you buy your PEDs. These are 12 guys. HOw many more are juicing on a regular basis and not getting caught because they weren't stupid enough to use their own name and not use a middle man?

ridiculous opinion. PED usage, even at its worst, still involves a player trying to help his team. It may not be the sole reason guys use PEDs, but gambling puts in question the entire integrity of the sport. It blurs the line between actual sports and sports entertainment.

Cheating at a sport is worse than gambling, imho. And the bolded part applies to drugs, too, even more so. They should all be banned for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom