• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Apple announces the iPhone 5

Razek

Banned
Did they fix the abysmal microphone?

Edit: Yes, I read the OP. Just because it's directional doesn't mean it's going to be better.

rcG4P.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Two years after the iPhone 4 i kinda expected more - maybe next year.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I will kill him.
The iPod Touch is "the world's most popular music player... but a lot of people don't realize that it's also the world's most popular videogame player as well," Apple's Greg Joswiak said while revealing the new device.
He then proceeds to show off a Ninja game "similar to Nintendogs". Riiiight Apple, have fun with that
I3rwA.jpg

drspeedy

So why are you in this thread?

Honestly, was hoping to see/hear something from GAF that I didn't get from the live blogs. Really wanted a new innovation, I'm trying to like Apple again...

They're ranking right up there with Nintendo in the "Jeez, what happened to you, man?" category

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It actually seems like a huge upgrade to me:

- double the CPU/GPU cores
- higher resolution 16:9 screen (that can still run legacy apps at their native resolution, size, & aspect ratio)
- thinner
- LTE
- better camera
- orientation-independent dock connector (so cool!)

To those who are unimpressed: what would you have liked to see instead?

patsu

Did they fix the abysmal microphone?

Edit: Yes, I read the OP. Just because it's directional doesn't mean it's going to be better.

According to Tim's presentation...
They have 3 microphones on iPhone 5 (1 behind, 1 top, and 1 bottom) for echo cancellation, FaceTime, video taking, and other uses. Overall quality should be better since the OS uses all 3 to adjust quality on-the-fly.

Mario007

Still worse than S3, no?

Pretty much.

This really doesn't belong into gaming. If it did, then Galaxy S3 announcement thread should be here, Xperia T announcement thread should be here, One X announcement thread should be, Galaxy Note II announcement thread should be here, Optimus G announcement thread should be here etc. iPhone isn't the only phone on planet that plays games.

also:

Also they announced the iPod Touch, with A5 processor. And a new game called Clumsy Ninja

iphone-5_140.jpg

Those NEXT-GEN GRAPHICS.

patsu

It actually seems like a huge upgrade to me:

- double the CPU/GPU cores

They said double the performance, not necessarily double the cores !

- higher resolution 16:9 screen (that can still run legacy apps at their native resolution, size, & aspect ratio)
- thinner
- LTE
- better camera
- orientation-independent dock connector (so cool!)

To those who are unimpressed: what would you have liked to see instead?

Better wireless, better sound (3 mics + new EarPod), better OS, etc.

El_Chino

So as far as I can tell the iPhone 5 is a bit bigger, a bit faster, and it FINALLY has 4G capabilities. Wow, Apple is really pushing the boundaries of technology with this phone.

Pretty much.

This really doesn't belong into gaming. If it did, then Galaxy S3 announcement thread should be here, Xperia T announcement thread should be here, One X announcement thread should be, Galaxy Note II announcement thread should be here, Optimus G announcement thread should be here etc. iPhone isn't the only phone on planet that plays games.

I agree with Mario over Wario here. One or all, no ins or outs.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So does any netbook, notebook, laptop and desktop. But we don't have threads about the new Sony vaio here.

Feel free to make them. iOS is a platform with many great games like Super Hexagon. I think I'm okay to make a thread

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Is the screen ratio the same? It looks different.

They increased the resolution from 960x640 to 1152x640 (16:9 aspect ratio). Essentially they added enough for one more row of app icons.

Existing 960x640 apps run with small black bars on the top and bottom. It's actually pretty cool, since they're still running at native resolution, size, and aspect ratio.

patsu

Pretty much.

Post should mention iPod Touch. In the presentation, Apple refers to the iPod family as the most popular gaming platform to date. The Clumsy Ninja demo looks awesome ! I hope they port it to Vita.

The new iPod Touch runs the same OS (and OS version) as iPhone 5. So the same game will run on the phone as well.

Top Bottom