• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Apple announces the iPhone 5

They already showed what 3:2 960x640 apps will look like. They have small black bars on the top and bottom, but they still run at the exact same size/resolution/aspect ratio. I don't think it will break anything
Just like how back then it "didn't break" anything.

When I picked up my 4s last year, Chu Chu Rocket updated their game (without Retina support), but for unknown reasons (which I think I know how), their assets were rendered in non-retina size (so 1/4th of the screen), but the touch inputs were sampled for the entire screen.

When The New iPad came out with their retina screen last year, me and many other devs using frameworks like cocos2d and corona had to scramble a patch in so that it wouldn't break on the new device (because retina on that device was reading iTouch retina sizes and failing). Apple can at best guarantee that their "base applications" won't be cripplingly broken, but I'm willing to bet money that some will break, in hilariously bad ways.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm kind of glad it's not a huge upgrade since I just recently got on board with the iPhone 4S. I don't want to trade up for at least a year. That screen does sound nice, though, but I guess I'm fine with having a more pocket friendly device for now.

wait, what happened

GAF has had a new-threads-for-new-news policy for quite a while now.

Personally, I think that the announcement of the next iteration of one of the world's best-selling gaming platforms, counts as news. I'm funny like that.

It's one of the world's best selling mobile phones, that also plays games. It's not a gaming platform since it can do much more than that; games is just another feature.

Zia

The best handheld gaming platform just got better

Pretty much. After the LBP Vita embargo lifted this morning I thought, "Maybe I will be getting a Vita before Tearaway." But now that we need two new iPhones for the household I just can't rationalize it. Vita's library can't compare to what's been released on iOS this year and it looks like things are only going to get better.

I don't get the "lol buttons" meme. I played Dead Space on my iPhone and it controlled great. Button based games like Ascension are fantastic too.

Fonz72

4.2 inches with 720p would have been a winner, actually. Especially when you have phones like Xperia S with 4.3 inches having absolutely gorgeous screen.

I agree. Pretty sure this feature alone is going to keep me on team Android. The new Nano on the other hand is win all the way around.

Never said it wasn't news. Just think smartphone news belongs in off topic. It's a full fledged gaming platform, but many things are

Anything that applies to gaming can get a gaming thread.

The iPhone 5 will have new hardware, new games, and maybe new features for gaming, so it should have a Gaming thread where we can talk about its gaming capabilities and announcements.

It's different from PCs and laptops, where the GPU is upgradeable or reused. In those instances, there's usually only a thread about the GPU. That said, a PC or laptop on its own may not apply to gaming, but a laptop with a special (i.e. new or impressive) GPU may get a new thread. It's happened before.

Edit: lol. I still believe what I said. :p

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
i wonder how many main stream media sources tomorrow will compare the iPod nano having multitouch and the WiiU tablet controller not.

Probably 0 but I'm still bitter.

AkuMifune

Banned
Perfect. Otherwise there should be a thread for every dumb phone announcement.

And why not an OT for the New York Times? It does have crosswords, must be a gaming platform.

Haunted

It is gaming related. In the same way cancer is health-related.
shit is getting real, time to bail.

PbDys.gif

Majmun

Offtopic Community... lol

I guess everyone can be happy now.

Btw, I currently own Iphone 4 (not 4s) and a Samsung GIII. Don't think I'm upgrading.

Omikaru

I got a 4S in January, and I'm happy with it for now so I won't be upgrading. And provided games don't demand use of the wider screen (seriously, I'll be genuinely pissed off if any do), I probably won't jump on the 5S, either.

iPhone 6 is my next one I think.

Mr.Green

When The New iPad came out with their retina screen last year, me and many other devs using frameworks like cocos2d and corona had to scramble a patch in so that it wouldn't break on the new device (because retina on that device was reading iTouch retina sizes and failing). Apple can at best guarantee that their "base applications" won't be cripplingly broken, but I'm willing to bet money that some will break, in hilariously bad ways.

You're probably right but you can't let poorly written software dictate your hardware design...

zychi

Banned
how much is the new iphone 5 without upping a new contract? $500? $600?

i dont want to lose my unlimited data plan ive had with verizon for almost two years now.

I got a 4S in January, and I'm happy with it for now so I won't be upgrading. And provided games don't demand use of the wider screen (seriously, I'll be genuinely pissed off if any do), I probably won't jump on the 5S, either.

iPhone 6 is my next one I think.

What the hell? People upgrade their phones after eight months?! I must be totally out of the loop.

Maxrunner

Pretty much. After the LBP Vita embargo lifted this morning I thought, "Maybe I will be getting a Vita before Tearaway." But now that we need two new iPhones for the household I just can't rationalize it. Vita's library can't compare to what's been released on iOS this year and it looks like things are only going to get better.

no buttons...

Mr.Green

Still no update to the ancient OS, but now you can have FIVE rows of apps instead of four! What a non-event.

I have an old iTouch, an iPad 3 and my phone is a Galaxy S3. Should I be floored at how superior Android is? Because I'm not. Sure I installed Flash. I never, ever need it but I'm ready! Seriously, what do you expect from a phone OS anyway? What's missing?

I don't know if this is really the right place to post this or not, but I'm having issues with my iPhone5.

I just recently changed from the 4 to the 5 when my contract term was up for it, and I can no longer email photos from my phone. I've tried searching for settings changes or other fixes, but nothing has seemed to work. My text and photo settings all seem to be in order, it shows it all to be good when I'm emailing it off, but it never shows up in my inbox.

TUSR

Banned
I don't know if this is really the right place to post this or not, but I'm having issues with my iPhone5.

I just recently changed from the 4 to the 5 when my contract term was up for it, and I can no longer email photos from my phone. I've tried searching for settings changes or other fixes, but nothing has seemed to work. My text and photo settings all seem to be in order, it shows it all to be good when I'm emailing it off, but it never shows up in my inbox.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491037

Edit: Why is this thread in OT Community?

Top Bottom