• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SHOCKING* PS4 to outsell Xbox One at launch, predicts Pachter

As for WW, I'm expecting they'll become competitive when they drop the price. Now, personally I'm expecting that pricecut to be when Titanfall launches or if not, then in time for Halo.

There will be no price cut in 2014 unless the Xbone is tanking which I sincerely doubt. The Xbone will sell rather competitively in the US but abroad I am willing to bet they take a beating in the months following launch.

LeBoef

I predict the Xbone to follow a similar faith like the WiiU. Yesterday I was desperately trying to get a copy of GTA5 locally and I shit you not, no store had a copy for PS3 but all of them had the 360 version. I was stunned. I thought the Xbox was a much stronger brand.

I see a lot of ipads in stores and just a few surface tablets. This must be a sign!

EGM1966

Sony have planned out thier launch a lot better then MS so obviously they'll win, not by much though. As for the entire generation, I'd say they'll both end selling roughly the same amount.

Gotta say I find that very unlikely. Last gen the PS3/360 finished roughly the same but that included 360 being cheaper pretty much the whole gen and getting a big head-start in the market, particularly in Europe - plus side advantages of having far better versions of multi-platform games for a good 12 to 18 months plus PSN being pretty feeble at launch.

I mean if we consider Europe in detail PS3 launched 16 months after 360 and then there was the first 18 months or so of bad ports and weak game library and below average PSN - therefore the 360 had been on the market comfortably over 2.5 years in Europe before the PS3 even represented a decent buy and had two entire Christmas trading peaks under it's belt on its own and one where it was the way ahead before the PS3 even really got going.

Yet despite all this the PS3 ended up catching up and we've ended up with more or less a draw so far as I'm aware form the published shipped numbers. More to the point, all of this catch up was down to worldwide sales as in US/UK the PS3 never really caught up and I think 360 was increasing it's lead there over the course of the gen. Therefore the evidence shows that even with a higher price, etc. plus all the other flaws outside US/UK the momentum is with Sony, and to an extent it overcame all gains by 360 in US/UK.

This time they're launching together, PS4 is cheaper and PSN is pretty much going to be on a part with Live by the looks of it and there will almost certainly be no multi-platform advantage either.

Essentially all the advantages that allowed the 360 to gain a great lead and hold off the PS3 for so long would appear to be gone this time around. Not only that but based on market trends the PS4 looks set to have the better launch/price advantage and is sure to do even better outside US/UK vs XB1 than the PS3 did vs 360.

Therefore if the PS4 does start with a decent lead the evidence would suggest the XB1 will never be able to make up the ground unless MS seriously take a hit on margin, drop Kinect or take a similarly massive risk. But then given PS4 is launching cheaper and Sony is normally quicker to get hardware revisions/cost reductions in place I expect the PS4 to remain cheaper most of the gen (again unless MS is able to take a big margin hit).

I'm sure the XB1 will sell okay actually - but everything in the market right now suggests it's going to struggle to get or stay close to PS4 in units sold volume.

Anything's possible of course - but last gen and current trends paint a pretty stark picture IMHO. I mean worldwide of course. In US/UK I could see MS "pulling a Sony" and getting even or maybe even a little ahead again if they turn things around via good marketing, bundles, deals, exclusives, etc - but not worldwide. This time it really looks like there's going to be an even bigger gap outside US/UK and that gap is almost certainly going to keep MS behind overall I reckon.

Xbox one can win this generation quite easily if it does one thing.

Do some political maneuvering and get the Chinese government to only allow it's console to be sold in China.

Bring up the long held resentment between Japan and China if need be.

If they were to do this they would immediately win the gen.

Doc Evils

Isn't Patcher even being optimistic with the Xbone?

With the state that it currently is, I highly doubt it would be close to the PS4.

Do some political maneuvering and get the Chinese government to only allow it's console to be sold in China.

HAHAHAHA

Oh man.

Seriously, child please...

Wynnebeck

Banned
Not quite sure why everyone is bringing up the whole 'brand loyalty in certain territories' thing - it definitely didn't help either Sony with the PS3 from the PS2 or Nintendo with the WiiU from the Wii. This whole idea that large markets as an entirety purchase based on previous accolades is a silly myth that has hardly ever been proven right.

The only places where you can predict that sort of thing for certain are basically places where rival consoles aren't being sold at all or have a very limited market in that territory. So it won't matter if it's been 'US is Microsoft land' or 'Europe is Sony land' this generation, because that shit won't mean a thing when it comes to the average consumer with next generation coming up on the horizon - they'll buy what they want to buy.

Silly, but using common sense coming out of the end of this generation as well as seeing how preorders are right now, we can start formulating a good idea of how each console is going to sell. PS4 being $100 cheaper than the Xbone only makes that calculating easier.

beast786

US
PS4 45 vs XB1 55

UK
50/50

rest of world
PS4 60 vs XB1 40

If all the above does happen , that would be a huge victory for sony.

avaya

Game consoles havent been sold in China for 13 years.

They are currently in talks with console manufacturers to possibly start to sell them.

That is 1.3 billion potential customers.

I'm sure the average chinese farmer living hand to mouth will be swayed to part with a lifetimes worth of earnings so he can play titanfall.

I'm sure the average chinese farmer living hand to mouth will be swayed to part with a lifetimes worth of earnings so he can play titanfall.

WTF ?

You do know China has a huge and increasing middle class right ?

China is flowing in money , we aren't in the 1950s anymore man.

China has become a global power and an insanely huge market.

GM sells more cars in China each month not the US.

Considering the PS4 is launching in nearly 3 times as many countries this year, Microsoft would have to pull off a fucking miracle to outsell them

Skeff

US
PS4 45 vs XB1 55

UK
50/50

rest of world
PS4 60 vs XB1 40

I'd say PS4 is going to be more dominant than that by a long way.

US: I don't know, maybe your right, I'd say perhaps 50:50

UK: 60:40 minimum to Sony from my Experience and Pre order numbers we have and looking at charts and the general consensus.

rest of the world: I wouldn't even hazard a guess, this generation PS destroyed XB outside of US+UK and it's going to be worse next gen. We have reports of 4:1 in places like Holland and I imagine countries like Japan could reach 10:1.

avaya

WTF ?

You said 1.3bn potential customers.

Skeff

Heh no joke.

If I was a MS executive right now I would be presenting this at the next meeting.

Operation ps4 cockblock.

China is so full of corruption that such a plan is very feasible.

This would fit in with Microsofts standard business practices.

Hindle

Banned
There will be no price cut in 2014 unless the Xbone is tanking which I sincerely doubt. The Xbone will sell rather competitively in the US but abroad I am willing to bet they take a beating in the months following launch.

Microsoft are not stupid.

Thier aim i think with the price is to exploit the high demand that always follows a new hardware launch. I'd say that they know they can't keep thier console at the price it is for long.

Theecliff

Banned
Silly, but using common sense coming out of the end of this generation as well as seeing how preorders are right now, we can start formulating a good idea of how each console is going to sell. PS4 being $100 cheaper than the Xbone only makes that calculating easier.

I know and I agree with you - I'm just saying this whole 'brand loyalty' thing isn't and won't be part of the grand scheme of things, only ever amounting to a minuscule part of the overall sales for both consoles. The argument 'well they did better in this region this generation so will do better there next generation' is stupid, because it ignores everything else about the consoles and the perceived value they have to the consumers.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I know and I agree with you - I'm just saying this whole 'brand loyalty' thing isn't and won't be part of the grand scheme of things, only ever amounting to a minuscule part of the overall sales for both consoles. The argument 'well they did better in this region this generation so will do better there next generation' is stupid, because it ignores everything else about the consoles and the perceived value they have to the consumers.

Oh I was referring to launch and a year or so after, not the entire generation.

Ty4on

US
PS4 45 vs XB1 55

UK
50/50

rest of world
PS4 60 vs XB1 40

Unless the Xbox One has a huge system seller (might be Titanfall) or I am really wrong I don't see it winning anywhere really.

Vizzeh

Banned
I'd say PS4 is going to be more dominant than that by a long way.

US: I don't know, maybe your right, I'd say perhaps 50:50

UK: 60:40 minimum to Sony from my Experience and Pre order numbers we have and looking at charts and the general consensus.

rest of the world: I wouldn't even hazard a guess, this generation PS destroyed XB outside of US+UK and it's going to be worse next gen. We have reports of 4:1 in places like Holland and I imagine countries like Japan could reach 10:1.

agree with those UK figures minimum, so many X1 groups of users going to PS4, I dont know any x1 personally, have seen them but their like big foot out of GTA, hard to find.. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 70-30+ - would be great to get my local game store to spill the beans to me.

They have a toss load of PS4 units that they hinted at, the mega bundles which will mostly likely be the scarcest bundle out of the 6 have 38 in store (a small store) of which im sure they have plenty of the other bundles and mostly standard ps4 consoles on their own.

Massa

Unless the Xbox One has a huge system seller (might be Titanfall) or I am really wrong I don't see it winning anywhere really.

Microsoft could replace Kinect with Titanfall and drop the price to $349 around E3 next year. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Vizzeh

Banned
Microsoft could replace Kinect with Titanfall and drop the price to $349 around E3 next year. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Microsoft has already said they wont drop kinect as the install base is of the upmost importance, dont forget they want to sell kinect not only for X1 but other devices like PC's, in hospitals etc..they have vision for it.

As for titanfall, yes it makes sense to us but know sure about financially, they do not own Re-spawn, the devs of titanfall, its a timed exclusive so profitability probably wouldnt be as high as it would be shipping the console with Halo/Forza etc (depending on the deal ofc)

Hindle

Banned

I'm fairly confident that's what they'll do. Thier aim with the price as I've said is to exploit the high demand that always comes at a new hardware launch. They know that being $100 more expensive then the competition isn't something that can be sustained.

So I do expect a price cut in May/June to coincide with Titanfall.

Ricky_R

WTF ?

Come on Socomnick... This isn't N4G.

I think MS knows this which is why they are heavily playing the only card they can. They are positioning the XB1 as a more casual friendly, fantasy football helper, Skype endpoint, super TV guide, Kinect gaming device. If they can capture the imagination of the more casual audience upfront, then they could negate Sony's advantage. The problem for MS is that even with its upgrade, the Kinect is not the "new shiny" anymore, and people can already get those other features on their tablet or phone.

Microsoft's "extra curricular" setup for XB1 extends far beyond Kinect.

They have literally created a console which if setup right, will be turned on for every waking second that the TV is on.

You want to watch a movie (digital or disc)? Let XB1 handle it.

You want to stream some music to your home theatre setup? Let XB1 handle it.

You want to want to watch actual television? Let XB1 handle it.

You want to voice/video chat with a friend? Let XB1 handle it.

You want to surf the web (or just make a quick query)? Let XB1 handle it.

You want to turn on your entire home theatre setup with one button/voice command (or can't fid the remote)? Let XB1 handle it.

Want to use "smart TV" apps like youtube etc? Let XB1 handle it. There's going to be an entire app store there with many implied tie ins to the Windows app store.

Bored of what's on TV and want to play some games? Let XB1 insta-resume your last played game or launch right into a different one.

Bored of the game you're playing and want to watch some TV now? Let XB1 handle it. Start watching your TV through XB1.

You want to do many of those things above at the same time? Let XB1 handle it. Snap apps, blaah blaaah blaaah.

There is almost no common situation involving use of a television that would require you to switch away from your XB1s HDMI output, let alone turn the thing off.

That's a pretty big deal and if MS can streamline the experience to the point where it just feels natural to have the XB1 operating in the background and have something as convenient as being able to ask your tv to tell you what time your favourite program starts or to ask it to immediately auto-resume your last played game......

What kind of company would not prioritise putting their stuff on your console (games/apps/whatever) if you can almost guarantee that your box/operating system will be available to the end user ever second their television is showing a picture?

/optimism

If they don't mess that kind of opportunity up, I think it can be more important than anybody seems to want to consider.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Even with all its issues PS3 has outpaced 360 globally this gen. So why PS4 -which is a far more competitive device in all respects- would do less well comparitively over the next cycle seems extremely unlikely to me.

Any slip in demand/marketshare for MS in its core NA and UK markets and they are fighting an uphill battle even disregarding the emerging markets which Sony has a far better track record for pioneering than MS do.

jayu26

I'm fairly confident that's what they'll do. Thier aim with the price as I've said is to exploit the high demand that always comes at a new hardware launch. They know that being $100 more expensive then the competition isn't something that can be sustained.

So I do expect a price cut in May/June to coincide with Titanfall.

A price drop that quickly is more liable to look like weakness on their part. I don't even know if a game console has ever dropped price that quickly, ever! (Even if it did, it certainly did not go on to be the market leader.)

I would also question the selling power of Titanfall (considering it is also on 360 and PC), specially if it drops around the same time as Destiny. I would bet on marketing smarts of Activision over EA in that case.

IcyEyes

US
PS4 45 vs XB1 55

UK
50/50

rest of world
PS4 60 vs XB1 40

Huge victory for Sony ?
Not at all. That will be pretty terrible for sony and a good victory for MS.

UK 50/50 will never happen.

EGM1966

Even with all its issues PS3 has outpaced 360 globally this gen. So why PS4 -which is a far more competitive device in all respects- would do less well comparitively over the next cycle seems extremely unlikely to me.

Any slip in demand/marketshare for MS in its core NA and UK markets and they are fighting an uphill battle even disregarding the emerging markets which Sony has a far better track record for pioneering than MS do.

Totally agree and slightly jealous you said in a few lines what it took me paragraphs to say earlier.

The XB1 is launching without any of the advantages 360 had and this is after a bad reveal and a lot of hostility in the market. That's going to make a huge difference vs last gen when Sony still caught up.

Totally agree and slightly jealous you said in a few lines what it took me paragraphs to say earlier.

The XB1 is launching without any of the advantages 360 had and this is after a bad reveal and a lot of hostility in the market. That's going to make a huge difference vs last gen when Sony still caught up.

They did do a LOT right this generation, to gain mindshare and win goodwill (more than they did bad).

I am not saying that's wrong, by any means, but Xbox is now a big brand in the US, and I feel they're on pretty equal footing in that regard.

And for good reason. No sport is as competitive as gaming. No piece of literature is as throught provoking or well written. The best aspects of music and film are integrated and actually elevated in the gaming medium. Standard controller games are the last non-VR entertainment bastion. The final frontier.

No piece of literature is as throught provoking or well written.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And for good reason. No sport is as competitive as gaming. No piece of literature is as throught provoking or well written. The best aspects of music and film are integrated and actually elevated in the gaming medium. Standard controller games are the last non-VR entertainment bastion. The final frontier.
Read a book.

Top Bottom