• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SHOCKING* PS4 to outsell Xbox One at launch, predicts Pachter

KoopaTheCasual

This gen is already decided. Unless Sony does something catastrophically stupid then they will be the worldwide leader.

There's no way to know the outcome of the generation now. If that were the case, Sony would have been dead in the water back in 2006. And look now they're ahead of the 360. Things change, divisions get reorganized, prices get dropped, initiatives get implemented, and good will gets built/lost. It's far too early to call the generation. This holiday? Well I feel confident in saying MS has already lost that. However, anything past that? That's anyone's game.

Well no because my point was that a bunch of proven system selling software for one console has turned multiplat while one retains its system moving titles.

Well that had really nothing to do with my post but even if it did that was a really selective list you made there that doesn't prove anything. You could easily as point out the 3rd party exclusives that ms bought early this gen that went multiplat and point to GT and Uncharted. So I don't understand your point here? Having Halo being played one console or Uncharted or whatever doesn't negate the fact that most of the popular titles are on both platforms. Most titles period are on both (like the third time saying this)

Vizzeh

Banned
There's no way to know the outcome of the generation now. If that were the case, Sony would have been dead in the water back in 2006. And look now they're ahead of the 360. Things change, divisions get reorganized, prices get dropped, initiatives get implemented, and good will gets built/lost. It's far too early to call the generation. This holiday? Well I feel confident in saying MS has already lost that. However, anything past that? That's anyone's game.

Sony had a past of "gaming" a console for it, games for it and a HUGE fan-base from the PS2 to keep them up, Microsoft have lost millions of their previous gen customers due to their direction/policies and general non-gaming centric attitude, they don't have that to fall back on like sony did. Im deffo no fan-boy, Iv no affiliation to any console as I owned them all etc but Sony are winning next-gen hands down. Generally the only people that will disagree with that will probably be in-love with their console or a bit salty about it. Things COULD change but that option is only open due to not having a magic 8 ball.

This is not an advantage for either console. I bet the average gamer who only buys COD and Madden doesn't know this. Power will imo always be irrelevant advantage if the differences are not hugely discernible i.e. Wii vs 360/PS3 where it was HD vs. SD. In my college I work as a resident assistant and this gives me a chance to come in contact with average gamers and when I can ask about why they chose their console of choice, it comes down to stuff like free online (PS3), cheaper price (Xbox), that's what my friends have etc. To me this generation will battled on price and user experience whoever finds the right balance between those two things wins. Brand loyalty does mean shit because this gen is unlike any other as it is coming off the back of the first online generation where users have become even more tied to the ecosystems they game on, things like achievements and trophies factor in. I'm surprised you're still making broad predictions like

given how wrong you were with your PS3 predictions, that alone is proof that companies can turn around and gain advantage on their competitors. Who knows what games will be released, what services, peripherals etc. that will be released over the course of this gen to swing the advantage to either side? No one does. Your point on which provides the most value Xbox Live or PSN+ is flawed because it just isn't easily measurable, someone can see free games on PS+ vs. Xbox Fitness, NFL stuff and dedicated servers and that is what they would consider as more valuable.

I think you are giving way, WAY too much credit to this 'staying in the ecosystem' nonsense. I know droves of people that have left iOS for Android in the past couple of years, despite having been Apple-centric for 4-5 years before that. They got fed up with Apple's proprietary bullshit and left.

I've been an Xbox gamer since 2001, yet before all the 180s I was leaving Microsoft COMPLETELY. That's despite 12 years as an Xbox-only gamer and over 270,000 Gamerscore. I put thousands and thousands of hours into my gamertag and my online presence/persona on Xbox, but the shit they pulled made me say "enough is enough".

Fortunately for them the 180s happened, so I will buy their console after all. However, I'm buying both systems. I'm letting my gold subscription expire, and PS4 will be my PRIMARY console going forward. The XB1 will be relegated to playing the few console exclusives I really care about, which at this point is mainly just Halo and Project Spark. I will not buy a single multiplatform title for XB1, meaning moving forward they have lost hundreds of potential game purchases from me.

I won't be playing multiplayer AT ALL on the XB1. I might get a PS+ subscription, but maybe not since they don't FORCE me to in order to use apps like Netflix, but since the value is actually there I might do it.

I really don't think some people quite understand how big of a blow this was to MS's reputation and brand image.

The $100 price difference matters less than the goodwill that has been lost, and I mean that with complete seriousness. If you're someone looking to shell out $400 or more on a gaming/entertainment console that you don't need, and likely already have previous gen PS360, then you're not going to bat too much of an eye at an extra $100 if it's a system you want.

Likewise the power difference isn't going to be the deciding factor either. It never has in the console arena. Power concerns are more of a PC gamer thing than a console gamer thing (for the most part).

But at the end of a day when you lose the faith and trust of your customer base, when you piss in their mouth and tell them its lemonade, when you blatantly lie or spout PR jargon instead of being frank and honest, people don't forgive or forget easily. Hence why MS will likely only see around $1000 in sales to me tops for this entire gen (console and 7-8 games tops), while PS4 will literally see over $8-10k of my hard-earned money by the time the generation is over. I'll likely own at least 2, if not 3 or 4 PS4s, but I'll only own the one XB1. And if it dies on me like the 360 did I will not be replacing it.

Even for someone like me that has been in the MS "ecosystem" so firmly and for so long, it's still a no-brainer to abandon that ecosystem after the stunt they pulled. For someone less firmly entrenched than me, it will be even easier.

PS4 stands a very good chance not only to win worldwide, but in the USA too, and not just at launch. No one can predict the future, but it really is their game to lose. MS isn't going anywhere, but they're going to take an ego drumming for years to come and hopefully they'll learn their lesson before the next weirdly-named console of theirs is upon us, and maybe even at some point during this generation.

rdrr gnr

In the US?

I think it'll be very close. Certainly within 100k of one another. 'Murican's love their Xbox.

Fuck the games. It's about the community. It's something the PS2 generation and generations before didn't have as a factor. People are going to buy Xbox One's because they want to maintain the relationships they've established over Live. Many have Live paid for in advance. They'll buy in to continue their experience, which they've largely enjoyed.

Xbox One will sell boatloads.
But there are good arguments against community or even loyalty. People are going to buy the console their friends buy -- not necessarily the console they own now. Take a group of five friends that game together. If they aren't informed core gamers who have day 1 intent -- which console is going to have appeal a few weeks/months in? The one that is available and for $100 less -- especially if word of mouth for the PS4 is good. So one friend buys the PS4 and all others may be inclined to follow. This is a point that everyone concedes even if you think Xbone will come out ahead. If the PS4 makes up any ground then arguments about community are weakened. Unless you are willing to argue 360/PS3 numbers for next-gen.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I shall never again distrust this man's psychic powers

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I predict the Xbone to follow a similar faith like the WiiU. Yesterday I was desperately trying to get a copy of GTA5 locally and I shit you not, no store had a copy for PS3 but all of them had the 360 version. I was stunned. I thought the Xbox was a much stronger brand.

Vizzeh

Banned
I think you are giving way, WAY too much credit to this 'staying in the ecosystem' nonsense. I know droves of people that have left iOS for Android in the past couple of years, despite having been Apple-centric for 4-5 years before that. They got fed up with Apple's proprietary bullshit and left.

I've been an Xbox gamer since 2001, yet before all the 180s I was leaving Microsoft COMPLETELY. That's despite 12 years as an Xbox-only gamer and over 270,000 Gamerscore. I put thousands and thousands of hours into my gamertag and my online presence/persona on Xbox, but the shit they pulled made me say "enough is enough".

Fortunately for them the 180s happened, so I will buy their console after all. However, I'm buying both systems. I'm letting my gold subscription expire, and PS4 will be my PRIMARY console going forward. The XB1 will be relegated to playing the few console exclusives I really care about, which at this point is mainly just Halo and Project Spark. I will not buy a single multiplatform title for XB1, meaning moving forward they have lost hundreds of potential game purchases from me.

I won't be playing multiplayer AT ALL on the XB1. I might get a PS+ subscription, but maybe not since they don't FORCE me to in order to use apps like Netflix, but since the value is actually there I might do it.

I really don't think some people quite understand how big of a blow this was to MS's reputation and brand image.

The $100 price difference matters less than the goodwill that has been lost, and I mean that with complete seriousness. If you're someone looking to shell out $400 or more on a gaming/entertainment console that you don't need, and likely already have previous gen PS360, then you're not going to bat too much of an eye at an extra $100 if it's a system you want.

Likewise the power difference isn't going to be the deciding factor either. It never has in the console arena. Power concerns are more of a PC gamer thing than a console gamer thing (for the most part).

But at the end of a day when you lose the faith and trust of your customer base, when you piss in their mouth and tell them its lemonade, when you blatantly lie or spout PR jargon instead of being frank and honest, people don't forgive or forget easily. Hence why MS will likely only see around $1000 in sales to me tops for this entire gen (console and 7-8 games tops), while PS4 will literally see over $8-10k of my hard-earned money by the time the generation is over. I'll likely own at least 2, if not 3 or 4 PS4s, but I'll only own the one XB1. And if it dies on me like the 360 did I will not be replacing it.

For someone like me that has been in the MS "ecosystem" so firmly and for so long, it's a no-brainer to abandon that ecosystem after the stunt they pulled. For someone less firmly entrenched than me, it will be even easier.

PS4 will not only win worldwide, they will win the USA too, and not just at launch. MS isn't going anywhere, but they're going to take an ego drumming for years to come and hopefully they'll learn their lesson before the next weirdly-named console of theirs is upon us.

I See this everywhere, I dont mean just online, i mean locally, GROUPS of gamers that were on X1 now ordering a PS4, alot even bought a ps3 and sold their 360... My self included to a degree. MS have done nothing to show their about games the last couple years of the 360 while PS still keep knocking out awesome games, MS have bought no 1st party studios either, they "buy" timed exclusives that end up on the other system eventually anyway (Titanfall, possibly DR3). Their 180's are ridiculous, I dont get why someone would support a company clearly changing their policies because of the $$$, I have a bit of pride about me and make no mistake MS would have adhered to their policies if they could have got away with it, they may even still go back on some eventually.

There is so many reasons I can see why MS will fail in the leading console next-gen. If you do a check list on everything you want as a gamer Sony ticks all the boxes next gen for me.

Static Jak

Eh, I'll be going with the PS4 but I'll be surprised if the Xbox One trails far behind. If anything I think it'll be very close for the majority of that generation.

Even then, it won't matter too much. The PS3 was more than a little behind the 360 when it launched but now they've both sold an ungodly amount of units to where I doubt it really matters if one edges over the other.

All I'd be interested in is which will become the default platform for devs.
I'd guess PS4 by the way Sony has been pushing its whole ease of use.

Even for someone like me that has been in the MS "ecosystem" so firmly and for so long, it's still a no-brainer to abandon that ecosystem after the stunt they pulled. For someone less firmly entrenched than me, it will be even easier.

PS4 stands a very good chance not only to win worldwide, but in the USA too, and not just at launch. No one can predict the future, but it really is their game to lose. MS isn't going anywhere, but they're going to take an ego drumming for years to come and hopefully they'll learn their lesson before the next weirdly-named console of theirs is upon us, and maybe even at some point during this generation.

I agree with most of this except I think the 100$ price difference will mean more at the end of the day than all the DRMs and the 180s. Most people either arent aware of that or will forget it in a year or so. The hardcore that do know about this stuff are pretty forgiving when they see games they really want to play. I mean, even you who knows the crap MS tried to pull are still buying an X1 for the games. Imagine how much lower the impact that stuff will have on someone to whom all of this is minor fringe noise.

If MS can drop Kinect and the price to 399 they might have a shot in US. Otherwise I dont see them dominating like they did this gen.

Edit I mean dominating in the US. They are completely fucked worldwide.

FDC1

I don't say it's good or bad, but I can't see how Sony couldn't win this generation (by winning I mean selling the most). Despite an horrible start (one year late, $599, hard to work on, etc...), PS3 will still finish higher than 360. Sony won't have this disadvantage this gen. Xbox brand is just too weak in too many regions. And for Nintendo, even with a big comeback, it's obvious Wii U won't be close of Wii numbers.

My prediction:

PS4 sales > X1 + WiiU sales

EGM1966

I get the feeling Patcher is going to be right a lot more than usual at the moment - everything from the Wii U to PS4 to XB1 to Vita seems so black and white.

He must be loving it.

I get the feeling Patcher is going to be right a lot more than usual at the moment - everything from the Wii U to PS4 to XB1 to Vita seems so black and white.

He must be loving it.
He must be. Even a layman can get the gist of where things are headed sales wise for the systems. Microsoft had the perfect storm and still don't lead world wide sales. This time around, things are going to get ugly.

You know it's bad when we are relegated to arguing if the Xbox will lead in its home country.

Hindle

Banned
Sony have planned out thier launch a lot better then MS so obviously they'll win, not by much though. As for the entire generation, I'd say they'll both end selling roughly the same amount.

redcrayon

It's also not going to come down to what the systems can actually do at launch. If you look at the functionality of a 360 and a PS3 six years ago, compared to what they can offer now, the list of services and which ones are focused on and marketed as prime selling points has changed dramatically over time. That's only going to be even more so with their successors.

Hindle

Banned
MS only being outsold by 1.5 isn't too bad as well, considering thier $100 more expensive. Micrsofts heavy marketing presence in such big events as the Superbowl will also have a huge effect on sales.

You'd be a fool to underestimate them basically.

redcrayon

MS only being outsold by 1.5 isn't too bad as well, considering thier $100 more expensive. Micrsofts heavy marketing presence in such big events as the Superbowl will also have a huge effect.
Well, in the US, sure, but not in other territories. While I understand that the focus on ESPN and American football was important for their press conference, in the UK and Europe we still aren't entirely sure what the media deals surrounding the sport we actually care about are. MS really need to start making people in the UK aware of what they actually get in the Xbox one package if they plan on not letting Sony take their only non-US market leadership position away.

The good thing for MS here is that the big chain store and supermarkets are giving pretty much equal shelf space to both machines, so at least that's an even battleground. Prices will probably get ( temporarily, at least) slashed relatively quickly here anyway by the supermarkets fighting over who gets everyone's big Xmas shop, I can see that being a really vicious price war at the end of November. Asda and Tesco will gladly sell them at ridiculously low prices if it gets people in the door to spend another £500+ on food and booze.

Sony just need to stay even with MS in the US to outsell them by quite a lot WW. 10 million ps3's were sold in Japan and theres a big lead in Europe too. The only way MS overcame this is with their massive lead in the US. Without it, theres no hope.

Majmun

As for WW, I'm expecting they'll become competitive when they drop the price. Now, personally I'm expecting that pricecut to be when Titanfall launches or if not, then in time for Halo.

You'd think?

I think you're overestimating the Xbox brand outside of NA. The Ps3 launched 18 months later in Europe and it was very expensive. But Ps3 is still the more successful console in this region.

MS doesn't have any advantages this coming gen. X1 will get slaughtered here. Especially considering X1 will launch in 2014 in a lot of EUR countries...

As a european i kind of agree without saying Xbox One probably won't beat PS4. I dunno about America though but worldwide I'm pretty sure. Here in Europe, some countries are gonna be 5 to 1 for a while

EGOMON

I think PS4 will out sell Xbone by 2:1 if not more because PS4 is launching in more countries (NA, EU, Asia) not to mention the healthy production rate that Sony enjoying.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For clarity, he's talking about worldwide, right?

I know Pachter is a US analyst, but the numbers he is referencing - the 1m preorders, Tretton's remarks about having more of that on day one - are worldwide. So I'm guessing his context is worldwide.

I know Pachter is a US analyst, but the numbers he is referencing - the 1m preorders, Tretton's remarks about having more of that on day one - are worldwide. So I'm guessing his context is worldwide.

His predictions are way too conservative here, at least on the PS4 side. At Gamescom back in August they already had more than 1M preorders and he predicts Sony will sell a total of only 1.5M PS4 in the first couple of weeks. I think that's way too low, when it will probably be easily achieved by preorders alone.

I agree with most of this except I think the 100$ price difference will mean more at the end of the day than all the DRMs and the 180s. Most people either arent aware of that or will forget it in a year or so. The hardcore that do know about this stuff are pretty forgiving when they see games they really want to play. I mean, even you who knows the crap MS tried to pull are still buying an X1 for the games. Imagine how much lower the impact that stuff will have on someone to whom all of this is minor fringe noise.

If MS can drop Kinect and the price to 399 they might have a shot in US. Otherwise I dont see them dominating like they did this gen.

Edit I mean dominating in the US. They are completely fucked worldwide.

True I'm still getting one, but they're only going to get 1/10th of the sales to me that they otherwise would have. They're not going to make money selling systems. They need people to buy the games, and I have a feeling the multiplat game sales are going to skew against them.

I just don't think the $100 price point is going to be as big a deciding factor as people think it will be. I know it does have an impact to a point, but even the casuals I know are at least passingly familiar with the whole DRM fiasco with the XB1 and have said that if they get a new system in the next 2-3 years it will be a PS4 because of that, not because of the $100. Granted I work with folks with more disposable income than average so I might be out of touch with the greater cross-section of casuals...

My biggest point was that brand loyalty isn't a thing as much as people want to make it out to be. People aren't going to stay with MS despite the DRM/Price/Power just because of the ecosystem, Xbox live friends list, or loyalty. I can only name 3 or 4 people out of the 100 people on my friends list that I actually interact with regularly, and I wouldn't buy the XB1 just to keep talking to them. As someone else mentioned, if friendships determine someone's console purchase at all it will be Real Life friendships not friends lists within the console ecosystem, and out of all the gamers I know (in real life not over live) I'm the only one that's even buying an XB1 at all. Everyone else preordered a PS4, and only about half of them had a PS3 but every last one of them had a 360. There's a pretty big shift in the works here, and people denying it saying that people will stick with MS because of the ecosystem are bonkers.

We'll see how things look in a few years, and nobody can call anything with certainty, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sony is going to have to really screw up big time to lose the lead this gen. Multiplats pretty much carried the 360, but that's not going to be the case now. There are so many things MS is going to have to do right in a big way to even maintain their current market share, let alone be dominant, even in the USA where Xbox was 'murica up until now.

As for WW, I'm expecting they'll become competitive when they drop the price. Now, personally I'm expecting that pricecut to be when Titanfall launches or if not, then in time for Halo.

That's way too soon for a price cut. Microsoft is under pressure for the Xbox One to make money 'now'. I also think that the next generation will play out a bit different than the current. With both the PS4 and XB1 requiring a subscription to play online, fewer people will buy both consoles because they wouldn't want to pay two subscriptions. With the current gen, you could get by on the PS3 without a subscription so it made an easy second console.

With the next gen, that hurdle to getting another console will be much higher. That will be especially true if the customer was price sensitive to begin with. So with the assumption that unless Microsoft drops the Kinect, Sony will be able to match then for every price drop that they do. Given this I don't see how the XB1 could catch up if it falls behind.

MS only being outsold by 1.5 isn't too bad as well, considering thier $100 more expensive. Micrsofts heavy marketing presence in such big events as the Superbowl will also have a huge effect on sales.

You can't read too much into launch numbers since they are both supply constrained and will likely sell out. The launch will also be disproportionately the hard core fans. However the bulk of the console sales will go to the more casual market. The people that wouldn't mind waiting a year or more to move to next gen.

I believe that the trends at launch will be magnified later on. That larger more casual market will probably break to whichever console is winning at the time. If that console is the PS4, which seems likely, then the $100 price difference is going to have an effect like pouring gas on a fire when it comes to the difference in initial demand.

I think MS knows this which is why they are heavily playing the only card they can. They are positioning the XB1 as a more casual friendly, fantasy football helper, Skype endpoint, super TV guide, Kinect gaming device. If they can capture the imagination of the more casual audience upfront, then they could negate Sony's advantage. The problem for MS is that even with its upgrade, the Kinect is not the "new shiny" anymore, and people can already get those other features on their tablet or phone.

Skeff

If they are worldwide and he is considering the first 2 weeks of sales including EU launch day, then he is well below with his 1.5m guess. There was a thread about PS4 pre orders growing, some comments were posted from UK Sony people and Shu yoshida as well as some insiders and it loks like sony might already have over 2m pre orders and it was well over a million when the million figure was announced.

Skeff

Well, super bowl is watched by around 100 million americans and about 200million people worldwide I believe.

Compared to the sony sponsored champions league final watched by 350 million+ world wide.

EDIT: sorry for Double

Redshirt

Banned
I don't think Titanfall is too soon for a price cut.

It is if the Xbox One is doing well, but if forecasts indicate the kind of post-pre-orders slaughter that NeoGAF is expecting, particularly in the U.S. and U.K., then I think it makes sense.

Theecliff

Banned
Not quite sure why everyone is bringing up the whole 'brand loyalty in certain territories' thing - it definitely didn't help either Sony with the PS3 from the PS2 or Nintendo with the WiiU from the Wii. This whole idea that large markets as an entirety purchase based on previous accolades is a silly myth that has hardly ever been proven right.

The only places where you can predict that sort of thing for certain are basically places where rival consoles aren't being sold at all or have a very limited market in that territory. So it won't matter if it's been 'US is Microsoft land' or 'Europe is Sony land' this generation, because that shit won't mean a thing when it comes to the average consumer with next generation coming up on the horizon - they'll buy what they want to buy.

Fall/Holiday 2014 will be when things get really interesting, when the real big exclusives start hitting and the supplies aren't constrained. I wonder what PS4's Fall 2014 line-up will be, we only know about The Order. XB1's line-up is probably a little more predictable based on all the stuff they've already announced.

kadotsu

Banned
I question the 'Every console that is produced is already sold' notion for certain territories, especially in Europe.

One, your first sentence here doesn't constitute proof of anything. Two, the heart of my PS3 prediction was right - it remained a destroyed business pillar that wiped out Sony's profits from PS1, PS2 and PSP. They only barely scraped out a second place win where before they insanely dominated in first place. How else do we determine success or failure other than marketshare and profit in terms of a business? People keep trying to bring this up because they hated the hyperbole, and I am not going to relitigate the comment for yet another topic, but the ultimate fact remains: PS3 was a failed business venture in every way that a business would track it (it drastically reduced their marketshare, destroyed their profits and in more than one way diminished Sony's reputation, with issues like the hacking scandal. That they turned it around into a good little system for gamers finally with astonishing PS+ values and a great library in the second half of its life does not change this core fact).

I disagree that it failed in every way, and i would argue that because of the PS3´s failure and lousy third party ports, propelled Sony to create a very strong and diverse first party line up. I would also argue that PS3 allowed PSN infrastructure to be put in place, and PS3´s failure made Sony innovate and give us PS+. The PS3 failed from the market share stand point, but it gained from other stand point, so the PS3 was not failure in every way :)

Curufinwe

That's very early for a price cut considering the console is not due to launch in a lot of countries until spring 2014.

Top Bottom