• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooter with the most awesome/satisfying headshots.

Orayn

Borderlands.

>That feel when a shotgun blast makes a bandit's head explode like an overripe melon hit with a sledge hammer

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gears is pretty much the best answer. I can see RE4 being up there.

I was actually pretty impressed with the explosive heads in the Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer. Pretty well done.

Grinchy

Banned
I fucking love using the huntsman in TF2 (it's a bow for the sniper). When I get a headshot that sticks the enemy to the wall behind him, that just feels bad ass.

StuBurns

Banned
L4Ds are good at this, someone comes at you, you knock them clear with melee then fire a single clear shot, very satisfying.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
RE4, Killer7, Shadows of the Damned.

not the biggest fan of the general shootan in any of those games, but they make for very enjoyable headshots.

Gears series and RE4. The former is more satisfying, but the latter was more groundbreaking in its day. The mixture of skull & meat chunks, red blood and yellow plagas bile was just godly.

Max Payne with a sniper rifle...from the view of the bullet.

youtube link please?

kamspy

Crysis

In most games any kind of sustained fire feels like half the bullets vanish in thin air. In Crysis they're all live. I don't know how many hundred headshots I've got with stray bullets from a big spray. Feels good.

dralla

Bad Company 2. The sniper rifles sound so vicious and having to accommodate for bullet drop make it extra satisfying.

Deus Ex: HR. Eater the silenced pistol with laser and armor piercing attachment, the cross bow, or sniper rifle.

Fallout: NV. Sneaking up behind someone and using shotgun in VATS, or picking someone off in real time with a silenced sniper.

For it's time, Resident Evil 2 was also amazing.

Every time I heard that "pliiink!" in Killzone 2 it sent a shot of dopamine straight through my brain. Sooo awesome.

My biggest complaint about Killzone 3 is that you can hardly hear that sound anymore, even though its still there. But I keep playing KZ3 online, though, because I find its deeper teamplay more appealing.

Archon473

I like the click that indicates a headshot in Killzone. And Unreal Tournament '99 makes a spectacle of it, announcing your headshot while your character shouts, "Boom!"

Counter strike. When the walls in dust are just covered in blood. You know you popped some melons. Auto Shottys were the best and worst at that.
miss miss miss Boom miss.

Ricky_R

Can't believe no one has mentioned these two. Unless I missed them.

soldier_of_fortune_cover.jpg

solider-of-fortune-ii-gold-edition-copertina2.jpg

They are worthy of been recognized in this thread. The headshots, and body dismembering at that, were pretty satisfying.

EDIT:

Soldier of Fortune II. Any gun at short range. :eek:

Missed this one. ;)

KILLING FLOOR.

You can see the skull splitting and brain splattering everywhere. Add to this what may be the best, crunchy wet headshot sound ever.

The RE4 headshots just piss me off, because I know one of those fucking bug things are about to pop out.

Gears of War headshots win regardless. The sound, the visuals, just an amazing feedback. Whoever came up with the Gears headshot sound effect deserves a promotion.

A non-action game with great headshots is Jagged Alliance 2....just a really satisfying 'thunk' when you hit one. Especially one from across the map with a sniper rifle, through one window and out another. Shit's right.

Top Bottom