• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooter with the most awesome/satisfying headshots.

Resident Evil 4...til you're rewarded with these:

4.jpg

You know what, I take it back :p

It's interesting how the game over time makes you shy away from head shots - I do remember I winced every time one of these guys head popped off, because I feared one of these bugs would come out.

Later on, the devs just said fuck it and made these bugs appear even if you weren't aiming for the head.

dummydecoy

Seeing how Killzone 2/3 already got votes, how about COD4's singleplayer campaign?
I remember how cool it was to blow heads off and have blood splatters on the wall behind it. I know older games did that already, but COD4 at the time was photorealistic to my eyes. That, plus the next-geniness of the animation and textures completed the effect.

I don't remember seeing that multiplayer mode or the succeeding MW sequels though...

Halo 2

If you headshot someone who less than a fraction of a second ago pressed jump, they would fly through the air doing backflips. That was rewarding.

Killzone 2 is pretty high up there. Red Dead Redemption as well. KL2 also had the neat bit where if you shoot a dude in the head, it gets pixelated (but it doesn't have the best head shots).

But Max Payne 3 will probably take the crown in May...

ibidjz1VO2RcNA.gif

iICTeFtaNFZ6a.gif

Tambini

Killzone 2 where the helmet falls off, the blood comes out and they stagger back to the ground.

edit: yeah like that gif ^

mclaren777

Red Dead Redemption has the most impressive bullet wounds I've ever seen in a game and the Euphoria animation system makes everything look great.

In Halo CE, I always loved pulling off the incredible headshot on the flag carrier in a moving warthog on blood gultch. Shit felt awesome.

Shtof

Weird enough, it's probably Borderlands for me. Landing a series of headshots gives you critical hits for each of them, meaning increased scores, meaning more XP, meaning new skills, meaning satisfaction.

My favourite headshot moment was when I unlocked dead eye in Red Dead Redemption, and tested it out by massacring the poker players in Armadillo in glorious slo-mo with 5 satisfying revolver headshots. 3 of them were down before they even knew what was happening.

Arrow headshots are fun in Skyrim, even if it is a little annoying that you do the same damage hitting someone in the head as you do when you hit them in the knee (herp)

Another vote for Gears having the best head shots. You know they're aren't getting back up from that. I've been playing a lot of the ME3 multiplayer and I have to say those are really great too, although the heads don't always pop.

Dorrin

Singularity had a gun you used a few times which basically put your view down with the bullet in slow motion which you could then guide manually. I found the headshots from it pretty satisfying.

rbanke

Resistance 2 has awesome headshot sound effects. I'm not typically a sniper but I would snipe in that game quite a bit just because headshots were so satisfying with the Fareye. Sounds like an exploding watermelon.

Dipswitch

Another vote for MOH 2010. Not only because of the satisfyingly "crunchy" sound effect associated with them, but because the game was generous about helping you land them.

I know this because in other games, I typically land none.

Nuborn

F.E.A.R. 2 was really good with headshots from what I remember, so gory. (still haven't played the first so can't comment)

Top Bottom