• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooter with the most awesome/satisfying headshots.

Big-E

Killzone 2. (Chirp!!)
Team Fortress 2. (Ting!!)
Counter-Strike. (HEADDDDSHOTT!)
Killing Floor. (Slow-mo!)

Killing Floor is a good choice and a non obvious one. I love the headshots so much that I dont like playing anything but Sharpshooter.

gibration

Gears of War
Resident Evil 1,2,3, and 4
Team Fortress 2
Killzone 2
Fallout 3

My favorite would have to be Resident Evil. Loved getting automatic headshots with the magnum.

vireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3yZG0QRePE

Shadowrun has great headshots, sniper headshots are very hard to pull off and the spewing blood combined with the animation makes it very satisfying when you get one.

Came to post this. Nothing more satisfying than on the factory level taking out a flying elf with a headshot. I really liked they way it was very realistic - they go instantly limp. I went through weapons training and we did a sniper segment that that's the way it's supposed to go if you hit in a specific area.

EDarkness

For me, the game with the best headshots was Red Steel. Say what you will about that game, but man, walking into a room with a pistol and one shotting a bunch of fools with rounds to the head was awesome. One of the few games where I played through the whole game using only a pistol.

mclaren777

Far too few of you have mentioned Red Dead Redemption.

Youtube

RDRheadshot.gif

dreamfall

I think playing as Mona Sax as a Sniper is my favorite ever. Followed closely by Red Dead Redemption + Euphoria. Can't forget those Gears either!

eXistor

Recently I think Binary Domain had a great feeling to them. Feels good when you hear that *PING* sound man.

Nibel

Gears Of War

Resident Evil 4

Soldier Of Fortune

Conker's Bad Fur Day
(Used a Katana kill as pic since I didn't find something else; but the gore effect is almost the same, just imagine that the flying teddy head is shredded)

All of these games use elements like blood not as a purley visual effect, but as some kind of feedback. This is why those headshots feel so good: you see their impact right after you hit the head, and this impact is celebated in a special animation which you only get when you hit the right sport - the head.
Also, I would say that especially Gears and Conker use the most disgusting sound effects I ever heard.

Rolf NB

Just started playing Borderlands again, and it's pretty awesome in this respect:
"CRITICAL" in red floating up, besides the XP you earned in white, you also get an extra spray of loot bursting from an enemy killed with a headshot. It's rewarding in the sense that involves actual rewards.

FPS of the gen btw.

Another reason Gears 1's headshots are given so much credit is because of the way the body immediately falls on its knees and slumps over realistically after the shot. The gibbing in Gears 1 was also one of the best, blasting half of someone's body off with the gnasher was pure awesomeness. Standing over someone's corpse shooting it to pieces was also satisfying, if in a sick way.

Gears 1 most definite. Good to see other games doing it properly as well.

Nothing better than capping an enemy in Socom 4 with the Move/Sharpshooter. The enemy has responsive impact animation for body shots too.

Top Bottom