• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoplifting.

Metrotab

Banned
I once accidentally took a package of cheese with me without paying (it fell into a crevice in my shopping bag and I didn't see it at self-checkout). When I noticed at home, I took the packaging back to the store, explained what happened and paid for it anyway.

This concludes my experiences with shoplifting.

Stencil

In middle school, a group of friends and I were at the local mall. At the time hacky-sacks were all the rage. A few of the friends I was with stole some of the fancier kind and were showing them off to the rest of the group in one of the rotundas away from the store. My friend Don, who was not involved with the theft asked if he could see them, and he proceeded to run them back to the Zumiez from where they were stolen. I watched him slyly place them back on the counter, right in front of the registers. None of the employees noticed. Zumiez, on behalf of Don, you're welcome.

Most shoplifting I've seen/been around has been middle class kids or teens who were "bored". The people, especially young women, who treat it like a game and brag about their "hauls" on Tumblr. It's pretty pathetic.

My only real service job at a grocery store had internal tables that expected you'd lose up to 20% of your product due to shrink. The amount of people who would try and smuggle stuff out was pretty incredible.

When I worked retail, it was known that internal staff theft was of a higher value than any customer theft. Stores can do all the bag checks on staff as they leave, but it's really just for show and catches the young ignorant chancers. They staff that have game are clearing out stuff through intermediaries all day.

WaterAstro

I guess there's no security guards to warn to stop them at the door? Any security system at all?

That idea of having customers pay for their meats is a good idea.

You can also tell them to take off their hat and sunglasses to unnerve them and get a better look for identification purposes. Most groceries have a sign for "no unpurchased products past this point" at the washrooms so it gives you or security the power to stop them once they exit the washroom.

Agreed. One suggestion someone gave me yesterday was to hold their items until they are ready to checkout and then personally walk the product to their checkout lane.

I don't know how it's set up where you are, but I've been to supermarkets where they have different cashiers: the check out line, and the "expensive stuff" cashier. Basically, the lobster tails would have been paid at your POS when you hand them the produce.

and that we're smarter than they might believe.
From reading your story, apparently you aren't. Especially since they are stealing "hundreds of dollars worth of meat and seafood every week to shoplifters. Sometimes thousands". The shoplifters are the smart ones here. They are repeatedly stealing from you and getting away with it.

Shoplifters = $100s - $1000s/week
You = 0

Definition: "You" = "Company"

Salamando

When I worked at a convenience store, someone once lifted a Hostress Snack Cakes by shoving it up their shorts. When it started to fall out, they hunched over, clutched their thigh, and claimed to have a cramp.

Our official policy on shoplifting was "let them get away with it", so I did nothing.

When I worked in retail I saw a shit load of shop lifters. I never did anything to them because they didn't pay me enough for that shit and because our AP was incompetent.

Saganator

When I was in HS, I would lift Powerbars sometimes. My parents didn't have a lot of money, I'd get maybe $5-10 for the week for lunch. I played baseball and football and playing on an empty stomach is shitty, if not dangerous, so I did what I had to do. Not proud of it, never liked doing it, and would've much rather obtained my lunch legit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
From reading your story, apparently you aren't. Especially since they are stealing "hundreds of dollars worth of meat and seafood every week to shoplifters. Sometimes thousands". The shoplifters are the smart ones here. They are repeatedly stealing from you and getting away with it.

You = 0

This. You (the store) are clever enough to spot them, but not do anything about it?

If you are losing that much money, you need to invest in a security system or security guard salary. Whatever you pay for this, will at least be less than the amounts lost in stolen goods, I would think.

Havok1313

Some of you should really try working for a big retailer before you spout off ideas about how you should stop shoplifters.. It really is generally not considered worth it for the small things, sadly.

It's amazing what people think they are entitled to though. I've caught the same lady like 4 times; taking a carton if expensive eggs and swapping them out into a cheaper carton. Her response: "oh, is that not okay? I don't want to pay so much"

You just kind of stare dumbfounded at these people.

crpav

Scammers and shoplifters are everywhere and try many thing to work the system.

One big "I'm sure of it!" scheme was when I stayed with my sister in Denver during the summer in college. Was 1999 I think or near there. She was a retail manager for a "budget" clothing store. One where they get in a bunch of clothes and sell for cheaper than originally. Ross was the name.

Anyway, the scam was the bunch would go from store to store and steal items, buy some items, take them home and then somehow do some tag swapping and receipt faking and then go from store to store and return items...ALL THE TIME. Funny this was they lived in the apartment below my sister. We would watch them come from their cars with bags upon bags of merchandise.

Ogodei

Worked at a gas station for over a year at one point and did get robbed once (quickchange con artist bilked me for $150), but never saw any shoplifting other than a guy attempting to "return" a bunch of batteries of a brand we didn't even carry.

Bakercat

I'm the kind of person that understands theft if a person absolutely needs the item either for their child/baby or they are starving themselves. However, if you're stealing for personal gain or because you are bored, yeah you deserve the book thrown at you.

DonShula

I worked at a retail store in high school with pretty decent loss prevention personnel. Was always fun watching them sneak around aisles because you knew someone was going to get popped when that happened.

I once found a large duffel bag full of about 300 CDs that someone had abandoned in Electronics once they realized they were being tailed.

Only ever saw two "exit blockades" and didn't get to be a part of either one of them. You really have to suck at shoplifting to have the cops ready and waiting for you to exit the store.

I'm not sure about the procedure. My grocery didn't have a meat counter. We still had a meat department and I worked in it part time for about 2 years. My first manager one time had a talk with me. He told me if I ever spotted a shoplifter to not confront them and to immediately let the manager or supervisor know. I guess training for those types of situations can be hard. It sucks though when you are hustling to make barely ends meat and there is someone shoplifting stuff out of your department. It's like a slap in the face.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Actually had a guy run out with a TV(s) last night while I was working. I saw him come in, but didn't see leave as I was preoccupied with other tasks. Didn't hear him set off the alarms either as our store is under reservations and the construction & janitorial equipment was too loud... >_>

We currently only have one repeat offender, who we can't seem to catch due to our store being a low priority for the region's store detectives (as they're not on salary). You think you can stereotype shoplifters, but you really can't. Back in December, my co-worker had to do a write up after a young couple ran out with $850 in merchandise while he was helping the janitors move furniture as they were buffing the floor.

I remember working at Walmart while in highschool and WATCHED someone pocketing school supplies. I followed him to the exit and then informed a manager that the guy had a bunch of stuff hidden in his clothing. Manager told me (maybe bs??) Nothing could be done unless the alarm goes off when he walks out. I told him it won't, it's school supplies, and he just shrugged. I even told him I'd bet my job on it, lol.

I worked retail through college and I learned one thing about the summer: Its sundress season and sundresses are absolutely amazing to steal stuff with. Especially if you have a little cushioning. I've seen women steal whole hams, hens, pepsi, and more between their thighs. This one lady in particular used to deflate and crush chip bags and stuff them into her bra, I'd never noticed but apparently she did this daily, but in every situation they all used the same explanation - hungry kids.

I feel sorry for the kids who eat extra salty foods because they didn't know it was stuffed in the same place they were born.

How...do you stick a ham between your thighs and walk out of a store without looking really obvious?

Menome

I've sort-of shoplifted once. I was about 3 or 4 years old and wanted a packet of Cadbury Mini-Eggs, so whilst I was at the supermarket with my mother, I picked up a packet and walked through the till area with them, not realising you had to pay for them.

My mother only found out hours later when we were back home and she was confused as she was certain she hadn't bought any Mini Eggs.

You = 0

Fair enough, if we're being literal.

Ban Puncher

a17.png

sQE9E4z.jpg

At our store Shrink affects our bonus and evals. A high shrink can cause a low bonus and a bad eval and possible demotion. As non-salaried associates all we can do is watch and focus on "aggressive customer service". Making a stop is automatic termination. No ifs ands or buts. We see someone shop lifting we notify Asset Protection or a Salaried Manager.

Fortunately we have 2 dedicated AP associates. I have both of their numbers so I can easily just call them. Still, fuck shop lifters. Theres not much excuse. I've heard every sob story in the book. A majority of the times they just get a ticket and keep on.

I recall so many hated and alienating colleagues who acted like the store is their own. You are not the owner, you're getting the same pay at the end of the day, so either shut the fuck up or open your own store.

Relevant:

The store is their own. That kind rotten attitude is what makes retail miserable. The whole "This job is beneath me". You're getting paid to do a job so do it.

oneHeero

I don't suppose a large chain of grocery stores are going to change their policies on the say so of the guy in charge of meat at one of their locations.

That's silly, being part of a chain doesn't mean the company wouldn't take a cost savings plan into consideration.

We have no form of security or loss prevention in our store. Shoplifting directly affects my inventory numbers, which I'm required to take once every period. $120 won't hurt me too much, but if you factor in that this duo I confronted yesterday has been hitting us multiple times per week for who knows how long, and then factor in dozens of others who shoplift us on the regular without being caught, it adds up.

A case of crab legs is currently worth $50. We've had to stop putting more than about 4 on display because we've had instances every day where people will empty our entire display and walk out the door with 10+ cases.

My goal in confronting shoplifters, if we can't get them arrested before they leave the property, is to let them know we are always watching, and that we're smarter than they might believe.

It directly affects my shrink numbers which are a direct reflection on my performance as a department manager.

If I'm not making the store enough gross profit, I'm deemed unfit as a department manager.
Which is the exact reason why you should not just make the suggestion but lay out details for a plan for cost savings where it doesn't cost the company money to invest resources (or little as possible). As suggested, hold big ticket items until ready to pay, enforce it as a new company policy to combat unfortunate thefts and even as a way to keep items cold than delivered to you at register instead of in your cart. Pilot something like this or similar during certain hours on the week at first to see how it plays out and adjust accordingly.

You could make the point that having a simple process in place will help your dept meet and/or exceed performance goals while ensuring you have the tools to do so. Especially when the plan can keep the employees away from engaging shoplifters.

dpunk3

I shoplift occasionally. Nothing huge, I don't bring in huge bags. Majority of the time it's by accident (put something in my pocket to hold so I can grab something else, end up forgetting about it until I'm home taking off my pants and realize there's something in the pocket).

I don't usually try to justify it, it's theft and I own that. I do tend to brush it off if it's by accident.

Arttemis

It's not so black and white, especially in America where most people are wage slaves and the necessities of life are increasingly expensive. A mother stealing diapers or formula for her baby isn't scum.
Lobster tail and crab, though?

Which is the exact reason why you should not just make the suggestion but lay out details for a plan for cost savings where it doesn't cost the company money to invest resources (or little as possible). As suggested, hold big ticket items until ready to pay, enforce it as a new company policy to combat unfortunate thefts and even as a way to keep items cold than delivered to you at register instead of in your cart. Pilot something like this or similar during certain hours on the week at first to see how it plays out and adjust accordingly.

Those kinds of changes are not done at Store level. he would have to bring it up to his boss and so on and so fourth. You can't just decide you want to implant an AP program without the go ahead from Management and Corporate. I've tried many cost saving programs at my store (maybe his Chain is different) and the response is usually "And who gave you the permission to do all this?"

As a DM you control YOUR department but, you're still beholden to your managers and Corporate.
That's silly, being part of a chain doesn't mean the company wouldn't take a cost savings plan into consideration.

Yes, yes it does. A DM is still hourly. Your opinion is still irrelevant to Corporate. Those kinds of sweeping changes would have to go through your SM and then through corporate. if they ever actually listen.

Yeoman

I shoplift occasionally. Nothing huge, I don't bring in huge bags. Majority of the time it's by accident (put something in my pocket to hold so I can grab something else, end up forgetting about it until I'm home taking off my pants and realize there's something in the pocket).

I don't usually try to justify it, it's theft and I own that. I do tend to brush it off if it's by accident.
...what about when it's not by accident?

Korey

We have no form of security or loss prevention in our store. Shoplifting directly affects my inventory numbers, which I'm required to take once every period. $120 won't hurt me too much, but if you factor in that this duo I confronted yesterday has been hitting us multiple times per week for who knows how long, and then factor in dozens of others who shoplift us on the regular without being caught, it adds up.

A case of crab legs is currently worth $50. We've had to stop putting more than about 4 on display because we've had instances every day where people will empty our entire display and walk out the door with 10+ cases.

My goal in confronting shoplifters, if we can't get them arrested before they leave the property, is to let them know we are always watching, and that we're smarter than they might believe.
So I don't get the point of your story.

Like you saw all the warning signs and they still got away with it.

Are you suggesting that people should come to your store if they want to shoplift because apparently you literally won't do anything about it?

Why don't you call the cops?

Do you have any shoplifting stories, retail GAF? Have you ever caught a shoplifter? Did you confront them? Have you ever tried to restrain one? Do you shoplift? How do you justify it if so?

Yeah, but nothing exciting came from it. Saw people pocket some stuff or conveniently forget an expensive item was in the bottom of their cart during checkout. I shrugged it off and didn't bother with it because I wasn't getting paid enough to give a damn.

Arttemis

I recall so many hated and alienating colleagues who acted like the store is their own. You are not the owner, you're getting the same pay at the end of the day, so either shut the fuck up or open your own store.

Relevant:
What an irresponsible viewpoint. Are you sure the people aren't intentionally alienating themselves from you to avoid your shitty attitude?

PSqueak

Banned
Somewhere in tumblr there is a post about how that "mean manager" almost foiled their seafood heist caper and they're painting themselves as the victims in this.

And they prolly got a like from the "my shoplifting got someone else racially profiled and i felt so bad i almost decided to not steal (but still did)" girl.

In a somewhat related story:

Last week i bought some cheap jeans from walmart and the cashier forgot to take off the sensor (i didn't realize it myself until i got home), it didn't even register on my mind that on my way out the sensor went off, but i assumed someone else had triggered it and the guard didn't do a thing about it. It bothered me because it was a pain to remove the sensor back home.

Quixzlizx

You could always go back and pay for it on your next trip.

That was a pretty weak "I own that"

Relevant:

Meanwhile I'm a department head making $20 an hour to provide for my family, and I'm held liable for my department's shrink.

Jaraghan

I shoplifted once as a kid. I was at a store with my sister and mom, and I saw a ring pop candy stick that I wanted and asked my mom to buy it for me. She said no, so I pocketed it when she wasn't looking, and went home.

Later that day, she saw the plastic part of the leftover candy in my pocket when she was doing laundry. She confronted me about it, and I confessed. She gave me a good, stern lecture about how I should never take something that doesn't belong to me. Haven't stolen anything since.

My highschool friends used to take candy bars from 7-11, which I thought was incredibly stupid. They visited 7-11 quite often (it was right down the street from our school). I asked them if it was worth it to get caught over a simple candy bar, and they usually shrugged it off.

PSqueak

Banned
I was going to tell OP that if he wanted to have a heart attack he should check out that subreddit where these shitty people talk about how justified and okay they are for doing this shit. What a bunch of assholes.

You don't even have to go to reddit, last time shoplifting was talked here, some people came to defend their shoplifting.

There truly is a defense force for everything in gaf.

Dynomutt

If you know who's taking them place a few slightly spoiled ones out and give em the bubble guts lol

Top Bottom