• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Christopher Nolan direct the next James Bond movie?

Should he?

• Yes

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 51.4%

• Total voters

VulcanRaven

I think this would be the perfect time to let him direct a Bond movie. The series needs a new take and Nolan has said many times that the would like to to direct one. He would of course want full creative control and I'm not sure if Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson want to give that to anyone. He would definitely want to cast his own Bond too. Part of me wants a Bond movie that is lighter in tone like the old movies but I would be very happy if they chose Nolan. I think they need a big name director like him.

Him talking about Bond movies:

Last edited:

Laieon

Greta Gerwig gets Austin Powers 4.

I'd be down for a Nolan James Bond, but after Batman I get the impression he's done with established franchises and wants to do his own thing, which I'm okay with too. Tennant and sound-mixing-as-a-whole are his only misses, I've enjoyed the rest of his post-DK output.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I can't see it, this man needs to have the final say when it comes to everything regarding his movies. The Bond estate would rather die than giving someone full control.

FunkMiller

Sure. If it's something he wants to do then I'd love to see what he comes up with. But as VulcanRaven VulcanRaven and FunkMiller FunkMiller have said above, I can't imagine the Broccolis giving up the control that Nolan would presumably want.

Sadly not. It would have happened by now otherwise.

The ironic thing is that the entire Craig run was more or less one giant rip off of Nolan's kind of storytelling and movie making anyway.

The Brocccolis should let Nolan make a one off - a bit like OHMSS, only deliberate this time. Let him do the movie he's always wanted to, and then reboot the franchise with your hot young new talent after that.

DKehoe

Sadly not. It would have happened by now otherwise.

The ironic thing is that the entire Craig run was more or less one giant rip off of Nolan's kind of storytelling and movie making anyway.

The Brocccolis should let Nolan make a one off - a bit like OHMSS, only deliberate this time. Let him do the movie he's always wanted to, and then reboot the franchise with your hot young new talent after that.
Yeh it's not exactly a secret he's wanted to do one for a while so I would presume some kind of casual talks have been held at some point and they couldn't make it work.

OHMSS is Nolan's favourite so that would be fitting. They could let Nolan do a one-off where he can do whatever he likes while they line up the pieces for a longer-term strategy. I don't think he'd do anything totally outlandish anyway. The guy loves the series so I don't think he'd be adding in science fiction elements just because he did so with previous films like Inception and Tenet.

Dr.D00p

If Nolan can't pick his cast, he won't do it. His Dark Knight casting was controversial at the time and look how it turned out.

Even Nolan would recognise that it simply would not be reasonable for him to pick the new Bond when he would only direct a single entry.

Unless the Brocolis signed him up to direct a trilogy of Bond movies over say a 5 to 10yr period, Batman style. Using his pick.

...but I'd rate yhe chances of that at zero.

FunkMiller

Yeh it's not exactly a secret he's wanted to do one for a while so I would presume some kind of casual talks have been held at some point and they couldn't make it work.

OHMSS is Nolan's favourite so that would be fitting. They could let Nolan do a one-off where he can do whatever he likes while they line up the pieces for a longer-term strategy. I don't think he'd do anything totally outlandish anyway. The guy loves the series so I don't think he'd be adding in science fiction elements just because he did so with previous films like Inception and Tenet.

I'd do a period piece. Set it in the 1960s. Cast Christian Bale or Tom Hardy or Cillian Murphy as Bond. Make it a story about how the world was changed by the post-war period and the cold war, but from a modern perspective. Really lean into the stylised 60s look. That sounds like something Nolan would relish. A Bond movie, but one with a bit more to say about society and the world - which is always something he likes to do.

Last edited:
I would expect a Bond movie from him where the supervillian is toying with time travel or something space related. a villian like the christoph waltz dude. and he would probably cast some dude that was in dunkirk as Bond. Weren’t there some rumors that the next canon bond movie was going to be a remake of dr no/thunderball?

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I'd do a period piece. Set it in the 1960s. Cast Christian Bale or Tom Hardy or Cillian Murphy as Bond. Make it a story about how the world was changed by the post-war period and the cold war, but from a modern perspective. Really lean into the stylised 60s look. That sounds like something Nolan would relish. A Bond movie, but one with a bit more to say about society and the world - which is always something he likes to do.
Robert Pattinson could also be great as Bond. Other good choice to direct would be Martin Campbell. He had done great job twice already.

Last edited:

Drake

He could certainly do it. I guess it depends what kind of aesthetic/mood they want in the new Bond films going forward. Do they want to keep them more serious like the Daniel Craig movies or do they go back to a more light-hearted feel like they did in the 90's with Pierce Brosnan. They seemed to make way more money when the films had a serious tone, so my guess is that's how they keep it. If that's the case then Nolan's style would certainly fit that.

StueyDuck

I think Nolan would do an incredible job with bond, but he'd need to make his own bond, as he has said himself he'd need to cast bond and have full control.

If they just slap his name onto some shite phoebe waller bridge written shit then no, it will suck, no matter whose directing it.

0neAnd0nly

This has been my request for years. He wants to.

I am a massive Bond fan; books, movies, etc.

I would love for him, ideally, to do a period piece collection of Bond films. Again, he has expressed interest many times publicly.

E-Cat

I’m sure he would do a better job than any other loser they’re gonna have. Bond never seems to get good directors. Why isn’t there a Tarantino Bond? Or Spielberg? Or Scorsese?

Another good choice would be Martin Campbell, he seems to specialize in Bond reboots.

Last edited:

RaduN

He would definitelly do leagues better than any other possible choice, but i'd rather see him do his own story, original, poignant, with a touch of sci fi.

0neAnd0nly

I’ve said for a few years - Nolan + period piece would be phenomenal.

The Broccoli’s however would be very unlikely to hire any actor with massive star power. I have always, regardless of appearance, wanted Hardy or Cavill for acting range and talent, or just the classic "look" (though, not as much if you compare with Fleming's literature).

Unfortunately though it just isn't the way EON operates.

Aaron Taylor Johnson has been floated several times recently, and is probably a decent candidate. Been in stuff, but not attached as a major namesake to anything yet.

There is also a reality that the next Bond truly isn't known yet (I have my doubts) and will be someone very under the radar, even as hard as that is today EON has traditionally done a decent job of keeping the sheets pulled up.

Fbh

In the era of MCU movie 87, Fast and Furious 46 and "unnecessary sequel/reboot of a popular old movie", Nolan is one of the few people in the industry who has the influence to get big budget and high profile actors to work on original movies.
While I think he'd to a fine job with Bond, I'd ultimately hate to see him locked into another never ending pre existing franchise.

0neAnd0nly

In the era of MCU movie 87, Fast and Furious 46 and "unnecessary sequel/reboot of a popular old movie", Nolan is one of the few people in the industry who has the influence to get big budget and high profile actors to work on original movies.
While I think he'd to a fine job with Bond, I'd ultimately hate to see him locked into another never ending pre existing franchise.

I doubt it would be never ending, you wouldn't have to worry there.

Nolan, even when doing the Batman Trilogy wanted a beginning and end. He didn't want it to go on forever, and he certainly would have been able to if he wanted.

IF he were to do Bond, I would imagine it would be a set number, likely 3, again.

But I don't think he will ever get the chance. It almost makes too much sense, as EON just typically doesn't go with the obvious route on anything. Many times that has paid off, a couple of times not so much.

Batiman

Banned
No thanks.

I like about half of his movies and love maybe about three. He’s hit or miss for me. I can’t see him making a good JB movie tbh.

I wouldn’t worry too much about a Nolan Bond movie, but he would probably only do one. I would be worried about the sequels from other directors that take place in the universe he created.

I get that Bond movies aren't real big talking movies but I would like the next Bond to have dialogue you can hear and understand. For this reason, I must vote No to Nolan directing the next Bond.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Wouldn't be his story, wouldn't be his cast - if that doesn't keep him a million miles away I don't know what else would.

SJRB

Gold Member
I vote no because Nolan, as great a director as he is, can't direct a solid action sequence to save his life.

Thirty7ven

Banned
No because he’s a really poor action director and James Bond is an action franchise. We also don’t need another deconstruction of the character so soon after Daniel Craig’s movies.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If he wants to, sure. I don't find Bond all that compelling, but I'd watch it if Nolan is making it. I think he could probably pick something a lot more interesting though.

FunkMiller

No because he’s a really poor action director and James Bond is an action franchise. We also don’t need another deconstruction of the character so soon after Daniel Craig’s movies.

Nolan doesn't do deconstruction. Have you seen The Dark Knight movies? They in no way take the character of Batman apart, or analyse its weaknesses as a character. Quite the opposite, in fact. Nolan would likely tease out and examine what makes James Bond such a great character.

Last edited:
I want Nolan to tackle original projects instead of adaptations. When he did Inception and Memento it was amazing because it was something fresh. Yes there were inspirations, but he made it his own. I've always wondered how Nolan would tackle a religious biopic like the life of Jesus, Moses or heck even Muhammad.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd rather he do more original projects as he's an asset to the world with those, but if HE wants to do a James Bond, than please do! I'd love to see his take on it.

LordCBH

Jojo GIF

Absofuckinglutely. Nolan would make a great Bond movie, which would be much appreciated after how fucking shit No Time to Die was.

Top Bottom