• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I stick with LCD or go Plasma?

Javaman

Squeak said:
That would give us parallax shift with head movement, depth focus and the best separation of the two pictures.

Parallax would add quite a bit to the experience and it's unfortunate that current 3d implementations can't do it. If you move your head to the left or right in a 3d movie you can definitely notice a problem. Maybe the easiest way to get the most realistic 3d is to go back to the old days of glasses with individual led displays for each eye. Certainly technology has gotten to the point of making them much smaller and comfortable (apart from the lens assembly to assist the focal length)

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Go with Plasma if you don't mine it dying in 4 to 6 years. I have 2 friends that bought Plasma sets, one was a Panasonic & the other set was a Samsung and both of their sets crapped out in the last year. I on the other hand have bought 3 LCD TVs in the last 6 years and all them are still working as good as the day I bought them. Now I do realize that Plasmas have gotten better over the years but so have LCDs.

Enron

Banned
As an owner of both, it doesn't really seem like there's that much of a difference when gaming. Where I see the difference, is in broadcast and movie playback.

My panels -

Sony KDL-40Z4100
Panasonic TC-P42S1 (recently purchased in the past month)

The Bravia is in the bedroom with my ps3 hooked up to it, and the panny s1 is in the living room with the 360. A lot more light gets into the bedroom.

Like everyone else has said in this thread, the plasma will give you the deeper black and richer colors. However, I still find myself preferring my Z series bravia's image clarity when watching TV.

If your only concern is gaming, I don't think it makes a one bit of a difference whether you go with a good LCD or good plasma.

Ignore this "3D" tv BS.

Schrade

dark10x said:
Yes they do, but a video camera massively exaggerates the effect. It looks nowhere NEAR that severe in person.
It's looked that way with every plasma I've seen. Granted, I only ever see them at the store so maybe the stores didn't condition them right or have their settings pumped up to abnormal or something.

But still, I'd love to find/see a plasma without that effect. To me it's as annoying as the blur effect that some LCDs have when panning.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
fugimax said:
Go buy a Kuro while you still can.

Best Buy is clearing out display model 60" Elite Kuro's for $3999 ($3499 if you push them on price). This is only at BB's with Magnolias in them, I believe. It's a $6500 display and is better than anything in the past and in the next 2 years.

Re: 2010 Panasonics matching the Kuro's ... it's at least another year or two. If you need a TV now, try and find a Pioneer. There are few left.

(Side note: Not sure how people stand LCD/LED TV's. The motion smoothing they do is incredibly annoying, and if you turn it off, the ghosting is horrendous. Sad that Pioneer decided to throw in the towel ... it really set picture quality innovation back.)

No the 3d Panasonics will be more advanced than a KURO.

The 3d Panasonic has faster phosphors which allow more time spent on image processing.

teiresias

Schrade said:
It's looked that way with every plasma I've seen. Granted, I only ever see them at the store so maybe the stores didn't condition them right or have their settings pumped up to abnormal or something.

But still, I'd love to find/see a plasma without that effect. To me it's as annoying as the blur effect that some LCDs have when panning.

I've never noticed phosphor trails on my Kuro 5020. All the youtube videos I see of the effect show them being extremely visible and impossible to miss, so I can't imagine I'm just not seeing it if it's really there. I think something is wrong with your eyes.

Duxxy3

Is the 42" c series panasonic any good? Not looking for a very large screen, just something for a small apartment.

Enron

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
Is the 42" c series panasonic any good? Not looking for a very large screen, just something for a small apartment.

No. Spend the extra 150 bucks or so and get a 42" S1.

Borman

Gunstar77 said:
Go with Plasma if you don't mine it dying in 4 to 6 years. I have 2 friends that bought Plasma sets, one was a Panasonic & the other set was a Samsung and both of their sets crapped out in the last year. I on the other hand have bought 3 LCD TVs in the last 6 years and all them are still working as good as the day I bought them. Now I do realize that Plasmas have gotten better over the years but so have LCDs.

Its all about how much you use it. If you have 3 TVs, I doubt you use it as much as a person that uses just one.

Brimstone said:
No the 3d Panasonics will be more advanced than a KURO.

The 3d Panasonic has faster phosphors which allow more time spent on image processing.

Pretty sure he's talking about black level.

And he's right. 2010 V and G series Panasonic won't match the 9G Kuro black level. They will probably be better than the 8G Kuro though.

SonComet

Onix said:
Well, I'm judging it from people at CES, not speculation :p

That said, black-level is not the only metric of performance. The new Pana's do beat Kuro on other fronts.

I have read those impressions too as they have been posted and linked to on many forums. but I still don't expect them to be 9G kuro level contrast. The greater efficiency and better motion handling will mean very little to me unless they reach at least 8G 1080p Kuro levels. I still plan to buy a 54/58 vt25 since I am pretty confident they may at least get to that level. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise. The 3d glasses will sadly never leave the box, but as long as they don't increase the price of the tvs much over this year's models I will be fine with them.

vireland

Gunstar77 said:

Bull. Buy quality and it can last. The first plasma we got lasted 10 years and was still going when we sold it. We have had zero plasmas die on us, and that's all I will buy. Sounds like your friends have bad luck, abusive electronics environment, or buy at the bottom of the lines. You can't project that on all of Plasmadom.

vireland

Duxxy3 said:

X / U / C series are the bottom of Panasonic's basement - okay if that's all you can afford, but many people pay as much for those as a 1080p 42S1 goes for if you shop hard. We got a 42" 42S1 for $480 delivered last month so you don't have to compromise if you keep an eye on prices/promotions online (Amazon / Onecall / Abt / Vann's are your friends).

Cheez-It

Gunstar77 said:

Oh boy. I'm guessing you haven't taken a course in statistics yet? Please don't post ignorant comments that other ignorants might take seriously.

FYI: Your single anecdotal experience means absolutely nothing.

Enron

Banned
vireland said:
X / U / C series are the bottom of Panasonic's basement - okay if that's all you can afford, but many people pay as much for those as a 1080p 42S1 goes for if you shop hard. We got a 42" 42S1 for $480 delivered last month so you don't have to compromise if you keep an eye on prices/promotions online (Amazon / Onecall / Abt / Vann's are your friends).

I picked up my 42S1 for 600 on sale. Im guessing he can probably find the s1 anywhere, right this second, from 6-750 without having to wait for a sale. Even at 750, it's worth the extra scratch over a 5-600 dollar C series.

Brimstone

H_Prestige said:
Pretty sure he's talking about black level.

And he's right. 2010 V and G series Panasonic won't match the 9G Kuro black level. They will probably be better than the 8G Kuro though.

No the VT model is more advanced than any released Kuro. Color processing will be improved.

beast786

Screw all the people who have no idea about 3D.

If people can buy a 200$ HD player (bluray/ps3) and HDTV for just HD content. Why wouldnt people with almost the same cost get 3D.

And all the people who bitching about 3D gimicky crap , obviously havent played Nvida 3D on PC, with 7.1 it makes Horror Gen games crazy fun. BA:AA on 3D>>>>>>> 2D

SonComet

Brimstone said:
No the VT model is more advanced than any released Kuro. Color processing will be improved.
How can color be improved over the elite pioneers and top of the line samsungs in any meaningful way while we are still on 8-bit formats? And even if this was the first panasonic to ever have more accurate color than a calibrated pioneer elite or top end samsung it couldn't be noticeably better in terms of color accuracy since those sets already get so very very close to hitting the standards. I just hope they improve the sets to the point where they are capable of this color accuracy and fix the somewhat wonky gamma they have compared to other top models. Pioneer 8G black levels (supposedly, but I do hope), better motion handling than any plasma yet, and the single sheet of glass/plastic of the now extinct pioneer plasmas mean these sets will be awesome. But I don't see any proof that color or gamma will be better in any meaningful way to sets that already did that right. Efficiency, brightness, motion handling are probably where these panasonics will come out on top with ease.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Cold-Steel said:
Did any of you guys end up breaking in your plasmas?

I keep hearing on the AVS forum how you're supposed to avoid gaming for the first 100-200 hours or so and keep the brightness/contrast low.
No, not necessary.

Brimstone

SonComet said:
How can color be improved over the elite pioneers and top of the line samsungs in any meaningful way while we are still on 8-bit formats? And even if this was the first panasonic to ever have more accurate color than a calibrated pioneer elite or top end samsung it couldn't be noticeably better in terms of color accuracy since those sets already get so very very close to hitting the standards. I just hope they improve the sets to the point where they are capable of this color accuracy and fix the somewhat wonky gamma they have compared to other top models. Pioneer 8G black levels (supposedly, but I do hope), better motion handling than any plasma yet, and the single sheet of glass/plastic of the now extinct pioneer plasmas mean these sets will be awesome. But I don't see any proof that color or gamma will be better in any meaningful way to sets that already did that right. Efficiency, brightness, motion handling are probably where these panasonics will come out on top with ease.

The result of Dithering allows for improved color accuracy.

Kuro tech takes the 8bit data and downsamples it.

The 3d Panasonic which is using Kuro methods. It will have double the amount of sub-fields of the Pioneers, which reduces the amount of downsampling.

Basicly the 3d Panasonic won't be downsampling the 8bit data as much.

SonComet said:

The VT series definitely has this, but the G is uncertain. It would be really lame if the G doesn't, because Samsung has already moved over to one sheet of glass on most of their plasmas. Not to mention they are about 1" thick, while 2010 Panasonics are still 3-4". Panasonic really is in the stone age in a lot of areas.

beast786 said:

If people can buy a 200$ HD player (bluray/ps3) and HDTV for just HD content. Why wouldnt people with almost the same cost get 3D.

And all the people who bitching about 3D gimicky crap , obviously havent played Nvida 3D on PC, with 7.1 it makes Horror Gen games crazy fun. BA:AA on 3D>>>>>>> 2D
yeah, 3D is here to stay. but in what way?

Malvolio

jedimike said:
I guess if everyone's TV was placed in rooms where no windows existed and all lighting was the same and all sets were ASF calibrated, then perhaps plasma sets could be objectively certified as being superior.

The problem is that none of those things exist. Things like ambient room lighting, proper size TV for viewing distance, quality of source content, and calibration have infinitely more impact on viewing quality then any difference between plasma and LCD.

My first HDTV was a $5K, top of the line, 65" RPTV Mitsubishi Diamond. It was the cat's meow in the year 2000. I went through this same BS process and spent weeks on the avsforum and hometheaterspot.

In the end... it didn't really matter. Even though it had one of the best quality pictures on the market, I had to purchase new blinds and drapes because the glare was unbearable. My viewing pleasure today would be much worse if I had a plasma instead of my LCD.

You have to look at so much more than the advertised "specs" of the sets. Look at the total experience...

This is exactly what I tell people when they ask me for TV advice. If you can blackout your room (or at least cut the vast majority of light), then Plasma/Projector/RP is the way to go. If you have a very bright room with lots windows you are better off going with an LCD. The majority of people will never see the image quality difference between a Plasma and an LCD, however screen glare is impossible to ignore.

beast786 said:

Ya but how many people set their computers up to do 3D on a PC with 7.1? I bet you less than 1% of PC gamers and certainly less than 1% of all PC owners. Nobody is arguing that 3D doesn't have its merits. What we're arguing is that the current implementation won't work and will just be a fad. To go 3D, assuming you need HDMI 1.4, I would need a new TV, a new receiver, and a new Blu Ray player. So I'd pretty much have to replace everything. I'm into home theater stuff and I'm not even willing to do that at this point. Now look at all the people who don't even have a receiver or any form of surround sound out there. Most people don't have 5.1 setups but now you want them to at least buy a brand new TV and blu ray player? The simple logistics of it isn't feasible at this time and we haven't weighed in the glasses factor which there's no way people are going to wear glasses to watch TV not to mention need to buy so many extra pairs for their families and friends. There's a big mess with the current implementation that just won't fly. This is someone who has dropped 5K on a TV and receiver so I'm willing to spend money on things too and I don't think I want it in its current form.

Malvolio said:
This is exactly what I tell people when they ask me for TV advice. If you can blackout your room (or at least cut the vast majority of light), then Plasma/Projector/RP is the way to go. If you have a very bright room with lots windows you are better off going with an LCD. The majority of people will never see the image quality difference between a Plasma and an LCD, however screen glare is impossible to ignore.

Can't speak for other plasmas, but the Pioneer Kuro wasn't that sensitive to light. Sure I close the curtains that re opposite of it in the daytime (and I admit my TV isn't optimal to have a window opposite to it), but at night, you can light your room and it's fine. It's only direct sunlight that will get you glare. Not to mention most higher end LCD tends to have a glass screen over a matte one anyway so I figured it was a wash at that point.

MoxManiac

I wanted a plasma but between the current line of panasonics commiting black level suicide after x amount of hours and the big bay window in my apartment, I had to go with LCD.

vireland

H_Prestige said:
The VT series definitely has this, but the G is uncertain. It would be really lame if the G doesn't, because Samsung has already moved over to one sheet of glass on most of their plasmas. Not to mention they are about 1" thick, while 2010 Panasonics are still 3-4". Panasonic really is in the stone age in a lot of areas.

Not the Panasonic Z series. It's been about 1" since 2009.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...ries/model.TC-P54Z1_11002_7000000000000005702

MoxManiac said:
I wanted a plasma but between the current line of panasonics commiting black level suicide after x amount of hours and the big bay window in my apartment, I had to go with LCD.

I know about the Z1 (best looking plasma ever made, which is ironic since it is Panasonic), but there is no Z1 successor this year. Panny was showing off a .33" prototype last year at CES that was supposed to be the new Z this year, but it never happened.

Hobbun

vireland said:

Vic, I’m curious, what is your opinion on burn in (image retention) known with the plasmas? From what I hear, it is still an issue and one of the leading causes of burn in is playing video games (due to static graphics on the screen in many games).

Right now I have an SXRD and I have been very happy with it. But I agree that plasmas do look the best. However, I have remained hesitant with them due problem of them still having burn in.

vireland

H_Prestige said:
I know about the Z1 (best looking plasma ever made, which is ironic since it is Panasonic), but there is no Z1 successor this year. Panny was showing off a .33" prototype last year at CES that was supposed to be the new Z this year, but it never happened.

Give it about 8 months. Many of the higher end Panasonics didn't show up until August 2009. They're notoriously late. And, that's why I love them.

vireland

Hobbun said:
Vic, I’m curious, what is your opinion on burn in (image retention) known with the plasmas? From what I hear, it is still an issue and one of the leading causes of burn in is playing video games (due to static graphics on the screen in many games).

Right now I have an SXRD and I have been very happy with it. But I agree that plasmas do look the best. However, I have remained hesitant with them due problem of them still having burn in.

We play a LOT of games on our plasmas (mostly XBOX360, but we have Wii/PS3/PS2 hooked up on most of them as well). There is ZERO burn in on any of them. Image persistence for radar/heads-up, etc? Yes, that can happen, especially if it's always on the screen. But that is washed away in minutes once you watch a show or movie. That said, we don't ABUSE the TV just to see if we can MAKE it happen. We use it normally, for games/movies/TiVo.

The last plasma we had that actually had burn in was more than 5 years ago. And our oldest Plasma lasted more than 10 years and was still working when we sold it. I will say, however, that the Samsungs we have had (2 of them in the past 4 years) seem to be more prone to image persistance than the Panasonics. It also took longer for the persistent image to go away on the Samsungs. We're 100% Panasonic now and for the forseeable future. I just wish the jump from 65" to 85" wasn't $17k more. If the 85" was reasonable, we'd already have one. I love me some plasma (and so does Goemon, for that matter).

Short answer - buy mid-line and up in the Panasonic plasma line and you'll be fine.

ghibli99

I have a 4.5YO Pioneer plasma (720p/1080i), and it still rocks harder than any LCD I've owned (which have been Samsungs and Sharps). Regarding IR, I once had to leave on an emergency flight out of town, and accidentally left my TV/cable box on for *2 weeks* while I was away... the apartment was kinda warm when I returned. :p It wasn't just left on any channel, either; it was on the default slideshow thing that you get w/ a lot of cable providers w/ static images, ads, etc. In this particular case, a DirecTV logo was displayed probably a good 90% of the time for 300+ hours nonstop. Yes, I'm an idiot for not having the auto-off function on the TV turned on (it is now!).

Yes, the DirecTV logo was burned-in for months, but it has gone away entirely (this all happened a year ago). I guess the point is that this above all else proved to me that while IR does happen on plasmas (I never doubted that), if *this* didn't cause permanent burn-in, it's tough to imagine a scenario worse than mine that would.

It's important to note that I don't leave my plasma in torch mode ever, and I calibrated it w/ hardware back in the day as well. I love plasma, but I don't use my set for just gaming... it's for regular TV/movie watching. My wife watches lots of 4:3 content on there, and there are no signs of sidebar IR. My parents' 51" Hitachi RP, though... that's a different story.

Blackface

Banned
KaYotiX said:
and spend 3x's as much for something that really isnt that big of deal??

Have you ever seen a sports game in 3D? It's one of the main reasons they are pushing 3D forward, and ESPN is investing so much in a 3D channel. It's mind absolutely mind blowing.

Salmon

Plasma of course! LCD are for still images and computer screens. A real gamer uses plasma!

I love my 50" Pioneer :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
jamesinclair said:
No no no no no.

Buying a 3D TV today is like buying an HDTV in 2001.
I bought my HDTV in 2002 and didn't finally retire it until 2008. That being said, it served me beautifully for all 6 of those years.

The 2001 HDTV did not have HDMI (maxed out at component) and didnt do 1080p.
1080p arguably didn't matter until 2006 when HD-DVD and BD arrived. aka 5 years after you are saying.

It also didnt have the necessary tuner for OTA digital content. So while it was an HDTV in image quality....it didnt have what it needed to give you the best HDTV content!
Except that HD boxes from cable and sat companies existed since a ways before 2001 that typically gave you local HD channels (either on cable or OTA for sat)

Im sure its the same with 3D. Sure, this years TVs will support it.....but then theyll introduce HDMIsuperplus which will be required for future support etc etc
clearly you haven't read up on 3DHD. About the only "further than now" technology with them will be HDMI 1.4 for full 1080p/24-3D. And even then the BDA is requiring all such capable BD players to have DUAL HDMI outputs, a minimum of a 1.3a and a 1.4 output to maintain compatibility with existing audio receivers (1.4 to your 3D TV and 1.3a to your receiver).

Also, 3D is a gimmick thatll fail. Might as well get integrated SACD while you're at it.
3D in general usage may or may not fail, but at the rate it's heading one would think that it's chance of failure on implementation is small. Movies are at the point (thanks to earlier movies like Coraline, Beowulf, and Up, but mostly to Avatar) where 3D guarantees higher box office performance, and the fact that converting those movies to blu-ray format takes zero effort and cost and allows for a single disc release pretty much guarantees that movies will be converted that way. Add to that that it looks like, despite naysayers saying otherwise, 3DTV's will simply "replace" the mid-upper and upper end of current HDTVs eventually trickling down to the mainstream, and it's all but guaranteed that 3DTV will be here to stay within 2-3 years. Now if people choose to watch movies or sports in 3D or standard old 2D is another story... but the BDA and TV manufacturers have pretty much hit every bullet point to have 3D standard in the home within just a few years. I would be shocked if by 2012 you'll be able to reasonably buy a new HDTV without it being 3D ready.

edit - for clarification by "3D ready" I mean they will still require glasses. a "real" 3DTV IMHO is one that uses angled images to provide a 3D experience that doesn't need glasses. However considering the cheapest current technology for this is a Fujifilm camera that costs $800 for a 2" screen or a 40" Panasonic for $9000, such sets are still at least 4-5 years away from being really affordable.

Raistlin

borghe said:
edit - for clarification by "3D ready" I mean they will still require glasses. a "real" 3DTV IMHO is one that uses angled images to provide a 3D experience that doesn't need glasses. However considering the cheapest current technology for this is a Fujifilm camera that costs $800 for a 2" screen or a 40" Panasonic for $9000, such sets are still at least 4-5 years away from being really affordable.

Please don't add another usage for 3D ready :lol

bill0527

shantyman said:
No, not necessary.

I can't speak for Panasonic plasmas, since I don't own one, but I do own a 50" Samsung 1080p plasma that I bought a little over a month ago. The old school plasma owners do recommend a break-in period, but I don't think its necessary. Nowhere in the Samsung manual does it recommend a break-in period. I did keep my contrast and brightness turned down for about a week, but then I said fuck it - and put it on the calibrated settings I got off the AVS forum.

I haven't had any issues with burn-in, but I get image retention from those damn sports tickers every single time I watch ESPN or another sporting event for more than 2 hours. It goes away after a few minutes of turning the channel or running the image retention removal tool in the settings.

vireland

bill0527 said:
I haven't had any issues with burn-in, but I get image retention from those damn sports tickers every single time I watch ESPN or another sporting event for more than 2 hours. It goes away after a few minutes of turning the channel or running the image retention removal tool in the settings.

Like I said a few posts up, that was my experience with Samsungs, too. They seemed to have a more image persistance than the Panasonics, to the point that it was annoying, and I got rid of them (well, that and the ticker judder issue). They never burned in, but the constant persistance (especially with game heads-up displays that didn't move) bugged me.

JRW

Pioneer plasmas are extremely resistant to image retention, Ive never seen any over the 2 years Ive owned mine. (5080 / 8G model)

HokieJoe

Onix said:
I'd rather have that option than to not experience 3D at all :lol

The great thing about 3D TV's, they work for 2D as well :p

Yep. I still have my DLP projector and an old RPCRT. I may buy one of the Mitsu DLP RPTV's though. Too cheap to pass up in terms of $/in^2. Plus, the majority of my viewing/gaming is on the projector. After seeing Avatar, my mind is abuzz with the possibility of seeing LOTR's, Jurassic Park, etc in 3D.

Although LCD has made great strides, for anyone else, I'd recommend plasma with one caveat: 3D content will be dimmer because of the glasses. In that sense, LCD may have an advantage over plasma. We'll have to see how it's implemented.

Cryect

Have to say those concerned about burn in don't have much to worry about. Slight image retention is the most I see and normally only from watching a widescreen movie wider than 16:9. Which if you then have a black screen you will notice the parts where the movie was playing is slightly brighter than the top and bottom but gets washed out quickly.

LCD's can get burn in as well and both my LCD monitors have issues with burn in. The problem in LCD's seems to get worse with age getting more sensitive to images. And if you think maybe its only with computer monitors then here is someone trying to give away a LCD TV that their friend thought it was a great idea to burn a NSFW scene into http://www.estetica-design-forum.com/explicit-content-off-topic-nsfw/29331-free-tv-craigslist.html

HokieJokie, Gizmodo seems to only like 3d currently on Plasmas and seems to think its unwatchable on LCD's and OLED's. http://gizmodo.com/5443165/im-sold-on-3d-tvsand-i-kind-of-hate-myself-for-it

Brimstone

Cryect said:
HokieJokie, Gizmodo seems to only like 3d currently on Plasmas and seems to think its unwatchable on LCD's and OLED's. http://gizmodo.com/5443165/im-sold-on-3d-tvsand-i-kind-of-hate-myself-for-it

I enjoyed reading his observations. He called out OLED as not being great in 3d, while others from CES continue to gush over it.

Both Plasma and DLP generate many sub-fields for each frame which helps reduce flicker.
He points out the motion on Plasma was better, which fits in with how Plasma technology operates.

The OLED TV displays in the near future are going to be Active Matrix. They will be just as prone to flicker as an Active Matrix LCD. They could in theory make a Passive Matrix OLED and use Pulse Width Modulation like Plasma and DLP, but the lifetime of the panel would be greatly reduced. It just isn't going to happen for a decade or more (if ever).

Here is someone from PC MAG.

The best 3D display I saw at the show, Sony's tech demonstration of a 24.5-inch 3D OLED LCD, was perhaps the best example of this increased depth perception provided by a 3D image. That display required glasses, too; and it was almost astounding in its color, realism, detail, and depth. Not surprisingly given the slow progress to mass market of OLED displays, Sony didn't announce any plans to bring this television to market.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186565/3d_comes_home.html/

Then Ars Technica

Unfortunately for both consumers and the industry, only the smaller AMOLED 3D displays blew anyone away. The 3D effect on the 15-inch AMOLED at the Samsung booth was just mind-bendingly good at the proper distance; likewise with the larger AMOLED at the Sony booth.

Plasma was next on the quality spectrum, but with the Panasonic TVs I didn't feel like I wanted to watch very much TV that way. I could see using the 3D effect for the occasional movie, but the effect wasn't so compelling that I could imagine watching everything in 3D.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/01/3d-tv-is-coming-ready-or-not.ars/1

I'm not shocked at different opinions. So many journalists are biased. The moronic OLED hype continues.

Props to the guy from Gizmodo who set out to look for the best 3d regardless of technology. It is nice know at least someone tries to be neutral.

Raistlin

Cryect said:

I wouldn't trust impressions from CES in general. Shitty conditions, prototype HW, buggy demos, etc.

It's amusing though, as I've read some impressions that state the Pana 3D wasn't as good as a number of competitors. :lol Basically, wait for some more serious testing that is done under more ideal conditions ... or better yet, full reviews with actually measurements.

Whoa this thread is a battlefield...I recently had been shopping around for a new larger set. After going to various shops (from Big Box to smaller independent stores, I settled on Sony XBR8 LED with local dimming *prepares himself for the fallout* :lol

jedimike

Mattlikewhoa said:
Whoa this thread is a battlefield...I recently had been shopping around for a new larger set. After going to various shops (from Big Box to smaller independent stores, I settled on Sony XBR8 LED with local dimming *prepares himself for the fallout* :lol

If you're happy with the price vs performance than you made a good choice. In the end, that's all that matters.

Brimstone

Yahoo posted an article on 3d impressions.

That said, I did notice a few key annoyances that could be a problem for anyone who buys one of these new sets for their living room.

Glare
Granted, lighting conditions on the CES show floor aren't the best ... but the same goes for most living rooms, frankly, and I found the glare on glossy HDTV screens (particularly the plasma variety) to be very distracting, putting a serious dent in the 3D effect. Ideally, of course, you'll want to have your 3D HDTV in a completely darkened room (such as the makeshift theater where Panasonic was showing off its gargantuan, 152-inch 3D plasma set). Barring that, though, you'll at least want to make sure there aren't any glare-inducing light sources in the area.

Flicker
The latest generation of 3D HDTVs and their accompanying active-shutter glasses are designed to have refresh rates so fast that you won't notice any flicker at all; nevertheless, there were still moments when I definitely did notice a slight but distracting flicker, particularly during brightly-lit scenes. The effect was worse on some sets than others (I won't call anyone out quite yet, given that it's so tough to judge on the CES show floor), and it's possible that proper calibration could reduce the problem. Still, it's worth noting.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/63421;_ylt=At30U00ew8s03118oghqHseOMJA5

The article doesn't identify what brands or technology where flicker was more distracting, but I'm going to guess the OLED sets.

Top Bottom