• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I stick with LCD or go Plasma?

PJX

Planning to upgrade my TV this year and get rid of my Sony X3000 LCD. The cloudy issue on the corner is starting to really annoy me. I've been hearing talks about how better plasma has gotten especially for gaming. Should I stick with LCD or go with a Panasonic plasma? I hear Panasonic are the best right now with plasma.

watership

Massa said:
I would wait for a 3D enabled TV at this point.

No. It took years to get new content in HD once those TVS when onsale. Where is the 3D content going to come from? It'll take years before they'll be enough to warrant the incredible expense a new 3D tv will cost.

Plasma.

Psy-Phi

It may not be a big deal now. But with the 3D NFL games coming, and other 3D enabled cable programming down the pipe...along with games...seems like you should just put the money toward that. Yeah you still gotta wear glasses...but you also don't need to watch 3D tv all the time. It will be something that's nice to have I'm sure. No reason to buy something now and regret it next year.

KaYotiX said:
and spend 3x's as much for something that really isnt that big of deal??

Err, the pricing on the TVs is going to stay the same. The only difference is the fact that the higher end series are going to get 3D capabilities. They won't cost more than they did last year. If he was gonna get a high end TV, the price won't be any different to him just cause he's getting a 3D TV.

UFRA

watership said:
No. It took years to get new content in HD once those TVS when onsale. Where is the 3D content going to come from? It'll take years before they'll be enough to warrant the incredible expense a new 3D tv will cost.

Plasma.

Exactly.

This 3D hype is overrated right now. Just get a damn good TV that does the job for what you want.

VASPER said:
What if i don't care about 3D?

Then you are smart.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm in the same boat. My HDTV (refurbished) bit the dust so I'm debating on whether I should wait on the 3D. The thing is, I know they will be expensive and right now I could replace my 42" plasma for around $650 - $800. I would recommend plasma no matter what, but you need to ask yourself what your budget and needs are. I'm thinking of getting a smaller plasma for now and then moving it to a different room when I upgrade to 3D. Why plasma?

1. More vibrant colors than LCD.
2. Better viewing angles.
3. You can clean the screen. If you have kids who like to touch stuff, you know this is a necessity.
4. Price. Plasmas tend to be cheaper than LCDs. Ex. A 42" LG LCD costs $750 vs. $650 for a plasma on Amazon.

PJX

Question about these 3D TVs. Will I have to wear glasses every time or just when a program is in 3D? For instance if I want to play with on 360 or Nintendo Wii, will have to wear the glasses or can I just play them without having to wear the glasses?

Did any of you guys end up breaking in your plasmas?

I keep hearing on the AVS forum how you're supposed to avoid gaming for the first 100-200 hours or so and keep the brightness/contrast low.

Psy-Phi

UFRA said:
Exactly.

This 3D hype is overrated right now. Just get a damn good TV that does the job for what you want.

Then you are smart.

3D programming is coming this year. the NFL already has the cameras out on the field and are testing them for next year's season. The Superbowl may be available in 3D. ESPN televised a college ball game in 3D already as well.

There's also 10 3D TV channels that are supposed to launch this year. DirectTV has one now. (after fact checking at CES, ESPN 3d, Discovery are the only two announced currently but more are expected)

And there are already games taking advantage of it.

I expect Avatar on BluRay to be available in 3D as well, except it will be more like the RealD that you could have seen in non-IMAX theaters as well as the other type we've seen in movies like Meatballs and Journey.

PJX said:
Question about these 3D TVs. Will I have to wear glasses every time or just when a program is in 3D? For instance if I want to play with on 360 or Nintendo Wii, will have to wear the glasses or can I just play them without having to wear the glasses?
It's a feature you'll turn on and off, much like turning TruMotion on and off.

Zhengi

I have a Panasonic G10 plasma TV and it's been great so far for gaming. No lag input, great colors, beautiful screen. I definitely recommend a Panasonic plasma.

Cold-Steel said:

I keep hearing on the AVS forum how you're supposed to avoid gaming for the first 100-200 hours or so and keep the brightness/contrast low.

I actually did break in my TV with instructions from the AVS forum for 200+ hours. I have to say that it was painful waiting for the TV to break in cause I was so excited to use it, but I have to admit that it was definitely worth it.

Now when I play games on my TV, I don't get image retention at all. I play movies that have the two black bars on the top and bottom and nothing happens. So I would definitely recommend breaking in your plasma TV so that it looks better and helps avoid adverse effects.

DeadGzuz

Banned
My 50" plasma was $1000, it would have been a $1500 LCD to match it, with a bit more care you get much more for your money.

Is the room you play in have a lot of ambient light during the day? If you play a lot during daytime, I suggest a LCD.

Otherwise..... you probably want to go plasma. However, a lot of the newer LCD's have really caught up in image quality. TBH research online, go to a store and pick out your favorite. It's honestly personal preference.

UFRA

Psy-Phi said:
3D programming is coming this year. the NFL already has the cameras out on the field and are testing them for next year's season. The Superbowl may be available in 3D.

There's also 10 3D TV channels that are supposed to launch this year. DirectTV has one now.

And there are already games taking advantage of it.

I expect Avatar on BluRay to be available in 3D as well, except it will be more like the RealD that you could have seen in non-IMAX theaters as well as the other type we've seen in movies like Meatballs and Journey.

Even considering all of the stuff you just said, just look at HD gaming as it is now as a comparison of how 3D will probably catch on...

There's STILL not even that many games for PS3/360 that are *true* 1080p native. When this gen first started, 1080p was hyped like there was no tomorrow. Now, 720p is still the most common resolution with only a small percentage of titles really doing 1080p.

I have no doubt 3D is going to get supported this year, but I don't think it's going to be some revolution of entertainment like everyone thinks. I sure as hell won't base my TV purchases on something like that.

I hardly see 3D catching on any quicker than the whole HD thing.

plasmas still suffer from image retention, and sometimes the effect is permanent. if you're using it for prolonged game sessions, i recommand getting lcd.

Broseybrose

after a years worth of studying the pros and cons of plasma vs LCD i cannot understand why anyone would prefer a plasma for gaming? i just dont get it. especially since most plasmas still have an issue with retention and games have HUDs, which is the major culprit for burn-in.

until the tech changes drastically (talking 5 years from now), its LCD all the way for me.

aryies

Neo Member
Cold-Steel said:

KURO 8G here. no burn in. no break in.

watership

Broseybrose said:
after a years worth of studying the pros and cons of plasma vs LCD i cannot understand why anyone would prefer a plasma for gaming? i just dont get it. especially since most plasmas still have an issue with retention and games have HUDs, which is the major culprit for burn-in.

until the tech changes drastically (talking 5 years from now), its LCD all the way for me.

Burn-in and retention are two different things.

I once went out for the night leaving a game running in demo mode... that had a mini map on all the time. Came home..went to bed. Woke up the next morning and seeing the screen, i freaked out turned off the tv, and turned it back on to find the a mini map image over my screen. 10 seconds later, after watching normal tv, it went away completely. That's the worst I've ever experienced in almost 2 years of owning a Panasonic Plasma. I abuse the hell out of this thing, watching things in 4x3, leaving it on all the time. Its just simply something that doesn't happen when you buy a good plasma brand (Panasonic).

dralla

Broseybrose said:

apparently those "years worth of studying" didn't you do much good. burn-in on a modern plasma is so rare. Buy a quality plasma and you have nothing to worry about.

as someone who owns both LCD and Plasma I can say the only way to make a decision between the two is to try them out your self. They have different looks so them, you need to see which you prefer. Take a PS3/360 to the store and mess around

DeadGzuz

Banned
Twilight Princess said:
plasmas still suffer from image retention, and sometimes the effect is permanent. if you're using it for prolonged game sessions, i recommand getting lcd.

I think the definition of prolonged is probably in the dozens of hours to do any real harm. No current plasma is going to have any issues with a few hours.

BTW the break in of 100-200 hours has nothing to do with retention, it is for calibration.

meppi

Twilight Princess said:
Playing about 2 months of almost nothing but Crash Commando for 2-4 hours a day, which ended in the image retention of the power-up hud completely disappearing in under 2 weeks time, disagrees with you.

I use my G10 Panasonic for gaming (current as well as all the retro systems) first and movies second and wouldn't want to change a thing. besides the RGB Dreamcast issue.

Panasonic plasma all the way.

zigg

Zhengi said:
I actually did break in my TV with instructions from the AVS forum for 200+ hours. I have to say that it was painful waiting for the TV to break in cause I was so excited to use it, but I have to admit that it was definitely worth it.

Now when I play games on my TV, I don't get image retention at all. I play movies that have the two black bars on the top and bottom and nothing happens. So I would definitely recommend breaking in your plasma TV so that it looks better and helps avoid adverse effects.

I didn't opt to wait around, though I was strict with the family about watching 4:3 shows in "just" mode (as painful as the aspect ratio was) and similar things for awhile. (They now watch 4:3 pillarboxed with the TV's gray bars.) I initially had some too-heavy reds and greens but they settled down.

I didn't bother with service menu stuff—just used THX blue glasses with a Pixar DVD to get the color/tint lined up right—and I'm thrilled with my set. I've never seen any image retention.

If I was seeking a perfectly calibrated set, I probably would have done the break-in. But I'm happy with what I've got—best color I've seen on anything, really—so I have no regrets.

Banned
Twilight Princess said:

Image retention. Yes, but goes away quickly. Permanent burn in. NO.

Buy a TV now. 46G10 or 46G15. Buy a 3D HDTV in 2-4 years.

edit: I just bought a V10 and I'm breaking it in now. Much easier to wait and do this b/c my PS3 is in getting fixed :lol .

Kyoufu

I'm going with a Panasonic Plasma on Sunday. Decided that 3D is not worth waiting for and that it'll be really expensive anyway.

Twilight Princess said:

While there is a chance for permanent retention, we're talking days of leaving your tv sit prone with a static image on it.

I've had my Kuro (KRP-600M) for about 6 months now, and not once have I had any image retention, even temporarily. I game on the tv daily, and at times for hours on end. I did do the break-in, and had it calibrated, but that's not entirely necessary with today's plasma tech.

The stigma that plasma's are bad gaming tv's is just not true, especially with models from the last year or more. PQ is unbeatable, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom