• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I stick with LCD or go Plasma?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
To get the same contrast ratio and response time as plasma you'd have to buy an LCD TV with at least a 480Hz refresh rate and LED BACKlit with at least 160-200+ zones for local dimming. With that being said, I would rather have that LCD than plasma. Fortunately that describes the upper end of the 2010 LCD sets from everyone and I should be able to get a 55" set for under $3000 with 3D to boot.

Get a Plasma. LCD is old school!
ironically this is about as backwards as it gets. LCD displays have been making significantly larger strides than plasma for about 4 years now. To the point that the best LCD displays are FINALLY beginning to look better than the best plasma displays (after only 9ish years or so)

Broseybrose said:
after a years worth of studying the pros and cons of plasma vs LCD i cannot understand why anyone would prefer a plasma for gaming? i just dont get it. especially since most plasmas still have an issue with retention and games have HUDs, which is the major culprit for burn-in.

until the tech changes drastically (talking 5 years from now), its LCD all the way for me.

I read some studies on the Panasonic G and V series where they left them on for upwards of 10 hours and couldn't cause burn in. IR is a given and will happen, but it goes away. But burn in is difficult to cause now.

borghe said:
To get the same contrast ratio and response time as plasma you'd have to buy an LCD TV with at least a 480Hz refresh rate and LED BACKlit with at least 160-200+ zones for local dimming. With that being said, I would rather have that LCD than plasma. Fortunately that describes the upper end of the 2010 LCD sets from everyone and I should be able to get a 55" set for under $3000 with 3D to boot.

ironically this is about as backwards as it gets. LCD displays have been making significantly larger strides than plasma for about 4 years now. To the point that the best LCD displays are FINALLY beginning to look better than the best plasma displays (after only 9ish years or so)

The best LCD is the Samsung 8500 LED. It cannot touch the Kuro, 8G or 9G.

borghe

H_Prestige said:
The best LCD is the Samsung 8500 LED. It cannot touch the Kuro, 8G or 9G.
Referring more to the 8000 and 9000 series from CES. By most accounts side by side the 8000 samsung 2010 series are some of the best looking TVs ever. Also to be fair the Kuro sets are much further beyond any other plasmas. Hardly representative of the typical plasma you'll find under $2000 today.

NekoFever

PJX said:
I hear Panasonic are the best right now with plasma.
If you want the absolute best, Pioneer plasmas are the best TVs on the market. Panasonic is very good and far more affordable, though.

I'll always recommend plasma to people who ask. I've had my Panny for almost two years now and it's got a beautiful picture and has had no issues. It's 42" and cost me about £850, and it looks so much better than my housemate's 40" Sony LCD that cost £400 more.

I'm not going to buy another LCD now. I'll stick with plasma until OLED gets big and affordable.

Oli

Lets say I wanted a Plasma or LCD around 20-30 inches, which would be cheaper? And what's the price range for something like that?

Also, do Plasma's still get burn in?

borghe said:
Referring more to the 8000 and 9000 series from CES. By most accounts side by side the 8000 samsung 2010 series are some of the best looking TVs ever. Also to be fair the Kuro sets are much further beyond any other plasmas. Hardly representative of the typical plasma you'll find under $2000 today.

2010 plasmas will also see improvements. Panasonic V and G should be at least 8G Kuro black (.004 fL), but they won't equal 9G (.001 fL).

There are just some things about plasma and LCD that will never be equal, even if calibration reports say they are. LCD will go much brighter, but has limited viewing angles (especially local dimming LED). And motion interpolation is a love it/hate it kind of deal. I prefer plasma's natural motion with either 72hz or 96hz refresh for movies.

Lets say I wanted a Plasma or LCD around 20-30 inches, which would be cheaper? And what's the price range for something like that?

Also, do Plasma's still get burn in?

Only LCD in that size range. Plasma starts at 42".

swerve

DeadGzuz said:
No current plasma is going to have any issues with a few hours.

This. My panasonic plasma has never retained anything in two years of daily gaming. It once held the BBC news logo for about three minutes after I watched the channel all day.

Burn-in is a thing of the past if you're buying a decent modern plasma, and Image Retention is very nearly extinct with them, too.

As for 3D, there's no way I'm putting on special glasses to relax, so I can wait for another five or ten years until they perfect no-glasses screens.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've had my Panasonic Viera TC-P42G10 plasma for just under a week, and I fucking love the thing. One of the highest reviewed 2009 sets on Cnet, according to my research, and for gaming and movies, it hands-down smokes the Sony and Samsung LCDs I see some of my family members using. Got it for $799, which I felt was a great price for such a sick set.

Cheez-It

Don't listen to the bleeding edge morons, or uninformed LCD or LED pushers. Anyone informed on the topic and not paid for their input will point you towards Plasma.

Get a TV now. Watch for a good sale, buy a plasma (unless you have bright, uncontrollable light sources that will reflect, or you NEED a set under 42" - hint: you don't NEED a set under 42"). Panasonic recommended. Samsung a bit behind.

NeoZylom

I would go with a LED/LCD TV personally. Oh, and wait for 3D TV or you might regret it. (Need for upgrade AGAIN!)

Shambles

Plasma all the way. By the time 3D televisions become affordable for the common folk you'll be looking for a new TV by then anyways.

T Ghost

You guys are talking about Kuros but as long as I know there are no more Kuros, as Pioneer left the plasma TV market for a little while now.

That said, I can give only my testimony about the topic: I went from an 40" 1080p Samsung LCD to a 42" Viera G15. It's image is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G when the room is dark. There's a little retention issue with gaming (Forza 3 was the biggest offender with it's big and numerous static HUDs) but they all go away in less than a day watching regular TV. In the beggining I saw some retention on top and bottom black bars from movies but now, almost 400 hours in, I can't see any after a 2 hours movie.

I have to say something: the black levels and the colors on this TV are something that never ends to amaze me.

Also is a damn fast display, never seen or felt any hint of lag.

In the beggining all the game hating of AVS forums scared me and I once tought that I made a wrong choice with the affordable plasmas. But now, 3 months in, I'm extremelly happy and proud of the choice.

I can only say: if you plan to spend less than $2k, go plasma, always.

Lagspike_exe said:
Isn't the best LCD something from Sony's XBR series?

Sony's Triluminous LED XBR8's had the best LCD image due to having 4 led diodes per pixel but was so ridiculously expensive it wasn't popular. If it ever makes a come back I'll save up and get one though.

Raistlin

KaYotiX said:
and spend 3x's as much for something that really isnt that big of deal??

They won't be 3x the price. For LCD's, the premium will be fairly small versus a similarly specced non-3D TV.

For plasma, the prices haven't been announced by Pana, but they claim it will be in their mid-range sets on up.

elrechazao said:
I can't wait for 3d tvs. Not to buy one, but for them to force prices even lower for the wonderful tvs we have now.

In general, that won't happen to a large extent ... and in a probably 2 years ... 3D will pretty much be the only available sets for 'large' screens.

Javaman

What is it that makes plasmas superior to the newer LED backlit displays? Most of the posts are defending that they don't have as bad image retention or burn in anymore but don't go into any positives that the LEDs can't pull off (Deeper blacks, brighter picture, wide contrast ratio) Unless I'm mistaken, the only advantage I see is the cheaper price at the expense of brightness.

KaYotiX

Banned
Had 2 plasmas didnt like them as much as the 2 Samsung LCD's we have now. Both 52"

Its all a matter of personal prefrence really.

As for 3D....do you REALLY want to wear glasses everytime to experience 3D?? Still a gimmick IMO.

Javaman said:
What is it that makes plasmas superior to the newer LED backlit displays? Most of the posts are defending that they don't have as bad image retention or burn in anymore but don't go into any positives that the LEDs can't pull off (Deeper blacks, brighter picture, wide contrast ratio) Unless I'm mistaken, the only advantage I see is the cheaper price at the expense of brightness.

I don't think the new LED backlits have deeper blacks - they're just more in par with what Plasmas have been capable of all along. Plus LCD's, including the backlits, still have viewing angle problems.

*** Just be aware of this

One buddy of mine basically (stupidly) left an image of dynasty warriors on pause on his tv.

He went out for the night intending to return after a few hours (which as you know is already a stupid thing to do to a Plasma TV).

He returned the next day later having completely forgotten about it.

He has a mild "PAUSE" and high score thing permanently burned into the TV set now and is quite pissed off about the whole thing.

Zapages

Sears has a TC-P42S1 for 650 dollars: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775529000P?mv=rr#

Here's my question to everyone here:

How are plasma (TC-P42S1) for bright rooms with fluctuating sun and use for computer monitors... Need suggestions guys and advice on this... As my parents use it to watching youtube videos... Static images. I am scarred of burn ins and image retention.

That was the thing that held me off from buying a plasma in the first place.

With a LCD, I can play and use as monitor worry free.

BigNastyCurve said:
I don't think the new LED backlits have deeper blacks - they're just more in par with what Plasmas have been capable of all along. Plus LCD's, including the backlits, still have viewing angle problems.

Newer LED tv's have full LED arrays allowing them to perform "Local Dimming" which will give the deepest possible blacks (because the LED light sources are turned off completely).

Mejilan

UntoldDreams said:

One buddy of mine basically (stupidly) left an image of dynasty warriors on pause on his tv.

He went out for the night intending to return after a few hours (which as you know is already a stupid thing to do to a Plasma TV).

He has a mild "PAUSE" and high score thing permanently burned into the TV set now and is quite pissed off about the whole thing.

It's called turning the TV off while leaving the console on. That is, common fucking sense.

PJX

Javaman said:

From what I noticed, LED LCDs have worst cloudy issues than regular LCDs. I went to John Lewis to look at one of the Samsung LEDs and it was cloudy issue haven. If there is one thing that bothers me about LCDs is cloudy issue. I went through 4 sets of my X3000 before I got one that didnt have cloudy issues on it.

Mejilan said:
It's called turning the TV off while leaving the console on. That is, common fucking sense.

Of course but the moral of the story is that you should always be aware of this issue.

Just pointing at the guy and going "haha dumb guy" is fine and dandy but people should not be lied to about the fact that you absolutely still can screw up your plasma TV.

Struct09

UntoldDreams said:
Sony's Triluminous LED XBR8's had the best LCD image due to having 4 led diodes per pixel but was so ridiculously expensive it wasn't popular. If it ever makes a come back I'll save up and get one though.

I have an XBR8. Had I not been able to get the XBR8 at a reasonable price, I would have likely gone with a plasma.

borghe

PJX said:
From what I noticed, LED LCDs have worst cloudy issues than regular LCDs. I went to John Lewis to look at one of the Samsung LEDs and it was cloudy issue haven. If there is one thing that bothers me about LCDs is cloudy issue. I went through 4 sets of my X3000 before I got one that didnt have cloudy issues on it.
You are referring to side lit LED sets. Local dimmed sets (that are effectively backlit with zones) don't have this problem. The locally dimmed sets I've seen (Sammy 8K) have zero cloudy issues of the side lit LED or traditional CFL.

Mejilan

UntoldDreams said:
Of course but the moral of the story is that you should always be aware of this issue.

Just pointing at the guy and going "haha dumb guy" is fine and dandy but people should not be lied to about the fact that you absolutely still can screw up your plasma TV.

Out of curiosity, what plasma does he have, and how old is it?
There have been tests done on newer, higher end plasmas (such as Panny's 2009 models) where it literately took about a week's worth of static images to cause any kind of image retention at all.

At least, according to my research before I made my recent purchase. People talk about how LCD tech has come a long way, but rarely is it mentioned that plasma's made significant strides as well.

Azure J

As a new Panasonic VIERA TC-P42S1 owner, and seeing how vivid things could be, all for a sub 700 dollar price, allow me to add one more "FUCK YEAH PLASMAS" to this thread. Besides, can't 3D programming still be utilized on any television set with a 240Hz or better refresh rate? I rememebr reading somewhere that this was the case.

Raistlin

KaYotiX said:
Had 2 plasmas didnt like them as much as the 2 Samsung LCD's we have now. Both 52"

Its all a matter of personal prefrence really.

That's a pretty silly conclusion to come to. One shouldn't generalize a technology based on two specific models.

As for 3D....do you REALLY want to wear glasses everytime to experience 3D?? Still a gimmick IMO.

I'd rather have that option than to not experience 3D at all :lol

The great thing about 3D TV's, they work for 2D as well :p

Had a pretty high end Sammy after upgrading from a Philips plasma, I was pretty happy with it. Then I got a Kuro 9G. HOLY SHIT. :D

My parents have one of the better 50" Pannys, and it's also better than my Sammy, but the gulf isn't quite as high as it is with the Kuro.

Also, everyone who's saying that modern plasmas no longer suffer from any real amount of burn in, that would be accurate.

The big problem with the current Sammies is that their screens have as much/more glare as a comparable plasma, without the kingly black levels. Also, the LED tech really only excels in the local dimming models (top of the line) and even then, their viewing angles leave quite a bit to be desired, you really need to be staring straight on.

IMO plasma is still king for image quality.

borghe

AzureJericho said:
As a new Panasonic VIERA TC-P42S1 owner, and seeing how vivid things could be, all for a sub 700 dollar price, allow me to add one more "FUCK YEAH PLASMAS" to this thread. Besides, can't 3D programming could be utilized on any television set with a 240Hz or better refresh rate?
Yes and no. Yes it "could" be implemented on any TV with 120Hz or higher refresh. However no, it really can't be "bolted" on to any such TV. there needs to be a sync between the LED shutters and the tv refresh that typically the tv controls through either an ir emitter or Bluetooth. And that is with an active system. With a passive system the tv needs to be designed for 3D from the ground up.

Mejilan said:
Out of curiosity, what plasma does he have, and how old is it?
There have been tests done on newer, higher end plasmas (such as Panny's 2009 models) where it literately took about a week's worth of static images to cause any kind of image retention at all.

At least, according to my research before I made my recent purchase. People talk about how LCD tech has come a long way, but rarely is it mentioned that plasma's made significant strides as well.

I'll have to ask him but then again is it true you could leave up an static white image of text saying PAUSE for weeks? I am not talking ESPN with the logo in the corner I mean actual video game pause screens where a bright white PAUSE with very sharp non-moving clarity is stuck on screen.

I think the question naturally arises then for your research, which companies promise this level of protection and if it falls down can we do somehting about it like force them to replace the tv?

Azure J

borghe said:
Yes and no. Yes it "could" be implemented on any TV with 120Hz or higher refresh. However no, it really can't be "bolted" on to any such TV. there needs to be a sync between the LED shutters and the tv refresh that typically the tv controls through either an ir emitter or Bluetooth. And that is with an active system. With a passive system the tv needs to be designed for 3D from the ground up.

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

sk3tch

Bought a Samsung PN50A510 50" plasma last year in January. It has been an excellent set - great performance for the money. I've used Samsung sets for years and have been very happy with them.

Just spend what you can afford today - you can worry about 3D down the road with the next set, when it is more affordable and has been proven.

Diablos

Now that it's cheaper, Plasma. That said, if you are really on a budget, get an LCD. You can get away with 40-42 in., 1080p, and pretty damn good PQ for under $500-600 (respectable brands, too, such as Toshiba).

If you are willing to spend something closer to $700-800 you'd have to be crazy to still go for an LCD. This is coming from someone who spent a lot on a 720p LCD about two and a half/three years ago.

vazel

Banned
I do love all this plasma love but there are annoying things about it. IR does happen, the glare from sunlight, and picture noise(which iirc is due to pulse width modulation technology plasmas operate on). And black levels are not as good as CRT.

Vandiger

Meh, if you are going to get LCD. At least research Sharp's quadpixel technology, impressions are very positive. Toshiba's Cell TVs which have super scalers for standard def content or anything lower than 1080p. Just know that in a couple of years you will start seeing 4000x2000 (super-res) TVs, so just buy something YOU will be satisfied with. I'm lucky I was in the the market for a new TV, when the Kuro 9Gs were still around, very satisfied since its still the standard for plasmas until Panasonic can refine those NeoPDPs. Shame that Pioneer left.

Go plasma.

Fantastic performance for such relatively cheaper pricing than comparative LCD. It takes the higher end sets of LCD just to match a low-mid priced plasma from Panasonic.

Cheez-It

UntoldDreams said:

How old is this? Sounds like a fairly old set, or a bullshit story.

jedimike

My only advice is to not get all anal about this shit... you can research yourself to death. Find the size TV you want and go find a good value. Doesn't matter if it is Plasma or LCD, either one is going to give you a great gaming experience.

I'm currently playing on a Sammy 52" series 5. I bought it after the series 7's were released and got a great deal. I think it looks awesome and it plays games perfectly fine.

Mejilan

UntoldDreams said:
I'll have to ask him but then again is it true you could leave up an static white image of text saying PAUSE for weeks? I am not talking ESPN with the logo in the corner I mean actual video game pause screens where a bright white PAUSE with very sharp non-moving clarity is stuck on screen.

I think the question naturally arises then for your research, which companies promise this level of protection and if it falls down can we do somehting about it like force them to replace the tv?

Can you rephrase your first paragraph? I'm not sure what you're trying to say/ask.
As to quality plasmas, you're in good shape if you stick with Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic sets that are from 2008 or higher. 2009 models, in particular, are a great way to go. Especially with Panasonics.

Zeni

Before buying a 12G Panasonic Plasma (X10, U10, S10, G10, G15, V10) or considering breaking it in for hundreds of hours, you may want to read this.

In a nutshell, users are reporting a built-in mechanism in all 12g Panasonic plasmas that DOUBLES black levels (they become lighter, in some instances worse than low-end LCDs - some of the pictures posted there are painful to watch) after roughly 200 hours of viewing. Also reported is much greater vulnerability to image retention after this inflation.

I recently bought a 42 inch G15, and I have about 130 hours clocked in, and I'm afraid to turn on my TV now.

While I do think Panasonic makes some of the best plasmas, for these reasons, you may want to hold off on buying a 13G Plasma (not necessarily for the 3-D, which isn't all that IMO and can be found already on current-gen Samsung Plasmas), or maybe consider a Samsung/Pioneer.

Top Bottom