• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should order 1886 get a sequel?

Beyond just the obvious caveats about needing to significantly improve much of the actual game part of the game, I have to say for me where the story left off doesn't inspire much confidence.

I posted a lot about this in the OT, but I was so thoroughly
turned off of Grayson by the end, they massacred Izzy's character to create drama, and as for the two best characters, one of them is dead and the other would likely be sidelined for most of the game because of where it left off.

yurinka

The Order did many things right, and the most difficult ones. It also has built a great world ready to introduce sequels. Its flaws for me were minor, and I would like to see a sequel where they would very likely adress them.

Things I'd like to address: To reduce a bit the proportion of time spent on cinematics, to make it a bit more replayable, maybe a bit less linear with a wider corridor, to make it maybe 25%-50% longer, to introduce a co-op mode and to improve the a bit the combination of IA, covers, level design and weapon variety to polish the gameplay experience and variety. And well, maybe to improve the final boss battles.

kmag

Replaying uncharted 2 right now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that type of design. They just need deeper mechanics to the combat. The orginal idea that weapons would manipulate the world for example

Uncharted 2 mixed it up with somewhat interesting traversal, and a bit of a sense of verticality. But even then we're talking a 6 year old game, you'd hope that the formula would be improved and expanded six years down the line, the Order if anything is a regression to the early 6th gen 3rd person cover shooters.

The Order generally had you plod along a very pretty corridor for a bit until you either hit a chest high wall signalling your entrance to a kill rectangle or triggered a cutscene after which you found yourself behind a chest high wall getting ready to clear the kill box. Can that be entertaining, yes but you'd expect something a lot more than a 2006 style game with fantastic graphics.

thelastword

Banned
Yes, they should, the game deserves it. With some improvements to gameplay and encounters, this game should easily transition to a top tier TPS in every aspect.

Kinyou

Would love to see one. The game has some very obvious flaws, but at the same time I feel like the thing it was trying was interesting. The setting itself definitely has a lot of potential. Though I do have to say the parts that impressed me the most about the game (presentation and especially the animations) isn't bound to the IP itself. So whatever multiplatform IP they're working on right now might offer the same strengths.

I'd play that. I liked The Order's graphics, location and setting. Too bad they couldn't pull out story from it. Maybe the second game fixes that.

Ushay

I've not played it .. but yes. It looks like a very, very cool premise and setting. Hate to see lore and potential franchises like that go to waste.

Draft

of course. How else will we know what happens with the werewolves and vampires and mustaches and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

watchdog

Absolutely. I thought it was a solid game and RAD came up with an amazing universe. I would love to see what else they could pull off with their engine.

I'd love to see an Eastern European setting where you're clearing out towns and castles filled with vampires.

Grisby

Yep. I didn't think the first game was that great, but it had some okay shooting mechanics. If they could rework the level design, pacing, and other common complaints (x to roll) the it could be great.

Amory

just got this from gamefly. started it yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. it's beautiful and the shooting is fun, if a little easy.

i think a sequel would be great if they'd flesh out the whole experience, add multiplayer, generally make the whole experience less linear

I'd like a sequel, but they really need to think again about how to implement stealth gameplay lol.

And of course cutting down on pre-canned animations and quick time events in favour of player decicion making and actions.

Nope. It doesn't deserve a sequel. Charging 60 bucks for what was the first one? the sequel would inf effect cost me 120 bucks since the first might as well have not existed.

KOHIPEET

From the same writer/director? No. From someone else, perhaps. The concept has potential, but it needs much much better writing.

DOWN

Banned
It at least earned a DLC Epilogue. The game is gorgeous and shines in production design, even if some people didn't care for it being a hybrid Gears/Beyond thing

Endo Punk

I dont like the story or characters. Even if they were able to make it more gameplay orientated I am tired of TPS games with only UC4 holding interest. RAD are no ND and even if they were able to make a game as fun as how UC4 looks or TLOU, the characters and story are already defined and its pretty damn terrible.

Ledhead

There was a lot there that dragged the end product down. That said, there was a lot there that made the first game enjoyable, and is worth expanding upon. SOLID core gunplay, but could certainly be expanded upon to make the gameplay less repetitive. The game also had great voice acting, interesting characters, and amazing graphics.

While the story was a little muddled at time, the core arc had me interested, and I would really like to know what happens next. I'm not holding out hope, but I would love for a sequel to be made.

I would like one, but didn't Supermassive Games say they were going multiplatform? It seems very unlikely to me that there will be another.

Ricky_R

I would like one, but didn't Supermassive Games say they were going multiplatform? It seems very unlikely to me that there will be another.

img-2409441-3-what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Prob won't happen, but it should.
I'm actually playing The Order for the first time right now, and it's fantastic.
Amazing looking, cinematic, interesting story, good gunplay.
Granted, I only paid $15 for it, so playing something this good for so little feels like theft.

Hektor

It at least earned a DLC Epilogue. The game is gorgeous and shines in production design, even if some people didn't care for it being a hybrid Gears/Beyond thing

Probably because it isnt such a hybrid. Unless you consider every game with cutscenes to be one.

spookyfish

Yes. Too short, and I really enjoyed the game.

I'd be interested to see what the developers could do with the universe.

Oemenia

Banned
There's money to be salavaged, I can see them going the route Remedy went with Alan Wake and do smaller related projects.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Uncharted 1 is way, way better than The Order and UC1 isn't even that good. It was a critical failure and a commercial failure. No reason to continue it.

Uncharted 1 is way, way better than The Order and UC1 isn't even that good. It was a critical failure and a commercial failure. No reason to continue it.

Eh, opinions. Uncharted1 bored me when I played it, I stopped playing 1/3 way through it.
The Order interested me more, kept me engaged for the whole 9 or so hours it took me to complete.

ironcreed

Banned
I want to see it. The gameplay that it has feels great, the production value is through the roof and there is much potential to build on. It's a game I plan to go back and play again.

Top Bottom