• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Pokémon evolve or morph?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DoomXploder7 said:
we are talking about a world in which mouses shoot lightning bolts and every situation you face involves battling others with said creatures including villains who let you trespass and ruin their plans based on said battles.

your worried about the semantics of the word evolve in said world? really now
That one actually makes sense. If you knock out my Pokemon team and I'm standing there defenseless and you've still got the dragon capable of melting me or the lightning mouse capable of electrocuting me or the wizard-beast thing that can blow my brain up I'm going to be a nice little grunt and just step aside.

I'm sure Game freak gave great consideration to the scientific ramifications of the word evolve versus the other opportunities at the time. That is important and solidifies the validity of Pokemon's feasability as a believable ecosystem.

MisterHero

Pokemon also have a analogue for morphing, there's changing forms temporarily in and out of battle (Transform, 'mode' changes) regardless of vital progression (leveling/evolving).

DonMigs85 said:
By the way, remember this episode? I assume this small baby Pikachu was born as a Pikachu, not a Pichu?

tumblr_l0b65ufX6O1qamqgc.png
There are baby Nidoqueens in the 2nd Mewtwo movie as well

DonMigs85

MisterHero said:
There are baby Nidoqueens in the 2nd Mewtwo movie as well
Now how could I forget that? The best example of all.

BabyNQ3.png

Perhaps it rapidly evolved from an even tinier Nidoran♀?

Syril

I always figured it was because the text boxes didn't have enough room in the first games to show "Charmander is undergoing metamorphosis!"

SalsaShark said:
We're havin fun. Going by those standards there would be no discussions over science fiction ever.

I'm just saying that it being called "evolution" seems like the oddest out of all the questionable things in the series to question.

The_Technomancer said:
That one actually makes sense. If you knock out my Pokemon team and I'm standing there defenseless and you've still got the dragon capable of melting me or the lightning mouse capable of electrocuting me or the wizard-beast thing that can blow my brain up I'm going to be a nice little grunt and just step aside.

This makes sense to me in HG/SS where you have a pokemon out at all times , otherwise i'm sure anyone can pull out a gun and shot/tell you to freeze before you even reach for your pokeball and throw it. but i'm just gonna ignore these questions and play the game.

Varna

The_Technomancer said:

Don't people have guns in the Poke universe? I'm sure a bullet between the eyes would take out just about any Pokemon. Don't see why the evil organizations would be opposed to using them.

DonMigs85

Varna said:
Don't people have guns in the Poke universe? I'm sure a bullet between the eyes would take out just about any Pokemon. Don't see why the evil organizations would be opposed to using them.
Onix and other Rock or Steel types should be pretty resistant to all but the highest-caliber fire.

Boogiepop

Varna said:
You realize that there's an entire type dedicated to Pokemon made out of metal, right? Not to mention sentient lava, sludge, all that good stuff. Not saying you couldn't put a bullet in some pokemon, but definitely not all...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DonMigs85 said:
Now how could I forget that? The best example of all.

BabyNQ3.png

Perhaps it rapidly evolved from an even tinier Nidoran♀?
Okay now I know you HAVE to be joking.

DonMigs85

I still wonder how those Baby Nidoqueen were born. Maybe it's because their mother is a clone?
In the games, Nidoqueen can't even breed - the radiation from the Moonstone probably renders it infertile.

It's a term for a video game mechanic. It's not meant to demonstrate a real world application of evolution any more than video game alchemy bears any resemblance to its historical influence.

Who gives a shit if fundies bash Pokemon. I mean, do they even still do that? Does it hurt the game's sales in any way if they do?

TheOGB

Banned
video games being realistic :lol

Regulus Tera said:
They should transcend their existence.
would they all turn into flaming red haired, low-mid stamina monsters with kanji on their backs?

:B

DonMigs85

udivision said:
Pokemon can't digivolve into Champions, Ultimates, or Megas so who cares about 'em.

More Stages, More Power!
And don't forget that despite being a mere Champion, Angemon could rival most Ultimates.

Suairyu

Banned
Evolution as a concept doesn't require natural selection or lots of time. Evolution as it happened in reality did.

What the Pokémon are doing is evolving, there can be no mistaking that; they are just doing so via an instant process somehow.

Seda

DonMigs85 said:
And don't forget that despite being a mere Champion, Angemon could rival most Ultimates.

And MagnaAnegemon(?) took on Piedmon, a Mega!

And that one Cat digimon (Kari's?) is a Champion with the power more like a Rookie IIRC.

It's all coming back to me!

DonMigs85

Suairyu said:
Evolution as a concept doesn't require natural selection or lots of time. Evolution as it happened in reality did.

What the Pokémon are doing is evolving, there can be no mistaking that; they are just doing so via an instant process somehow.
Yes, but for whatever reason their infants regress to the lowest stage (except, again, for the mystery Nidoqueen babies).
That's like Homo sapiens giving birth to Pithecanthropus or something.

Mr. Mime needs to continue aging. He has a baby form right??

Father Mime, Dr. Mime, whatever.. that asshole needs to quit pretending he's not a person.

Axion22

It doesn't fit the Darwinian version of evolution because it's referring to one organism's change, as opposed to an entire species. True evolution would be Pikachus becoming immune to ground attacks.

That said, I don't see why it needs changing.

Credo

blame space said:
Mr. Mime needs to continue aging. He has a baby form right??

Father Mime, Dr. Mime, whatever.. that asshole needs to quit pretending he's not a person.

He should probably just evolve/morph into Krusty the Clown really. He already has shapes on both sides of his head that are similar to Krusty's hair. I guess he's just hiding them beneath the socks or whatever those black covers are.

mime_2.jpg

krusty.gif

Suairyu

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Yes, but for whatever reason their infants regress to the lowest stage (except, again, for the mystery Nidoqueen babies).
That's like Homo sapiens giving birth to Pithecanthropus or something.
Or that evolution is a natural part of maturation for the creature. The ovum contain the genetic information of when the organism was first created, not for its state post-evolution. This works for two reasons:
In Pokémon, it is the female that determines the born species.
In nature, you have all the eggs you'll ever use when you are young. Once you run out of eggs, that's it. Thus female Pokémon have the eggs at birth, later evolve but the eggs remain the same.

DonMigs85

Suairyu said:
Or that evolution is a natural part of maturation for the creature. The ovum contain the genetic information of when the organism was first created, not for its state post-evolution. This works for two reasons:
In Pokémon, it is the female that determines the born species.
In nature, you have all the eggs you'll ever use when you are young. Once you run out of eggs, that's it. Thus female Pokémon have the eggs at birth, later evolve but the eggs remain the same.
Most of them also evolve through battle experience, so I guess only the "deserving" specimens earn the right to evolve through life's hardships while the dumb or lazy ones perish.

Seda said:
And MagnaAnegemon(?) took on Piedmon, a Mega!

And that one Cat digimon (Kari's?) is a Champion with the power more like a Rookie IIRC.

It's all coming back to me!
Yeah I remember hating Gatomon because it was so damn puny as a Champion. Then it Armor-Digivolved (which was dumb enough) into some sort of sphinx.

Get that shit outta here.

Kurtofan

Credo said:
He should probably just evolve/morph into Krusty the Clown really. He already has shapes on both sides of his head that are similar to Krusty's hair. I guess he's just hiding them beneath the socks or whatever those black covers are.

mime_2.jpg

krusty.gif
Krusty's hair is typical clown hair, it's not a trademark or anything.

DonMigs85

Professor Beef said:
Yeah I remember hating Gatomon because it was so damn puny as a Champion. Then it Armor-Digivolved (which was dumb enough) into some sort of sphinx.

Get that shit outta here.
She only became weaker after losing her tail ring.
Before that, she was on par with the other Champions.

Rocwell

Suairyu said:

Then why we still got mankeys?

160px-056Mankey.png

DoomXploder7 said:
This makes sense to me in HG/SS where you have a pokemon out at all times , otherwise i'm sure anyone can pull out a gun and shot/tell you to freeze before you even reach for your pokeball and throw it. but i'm just gonna ignore these questions and play the game.

Ok, so they can reach for a gun in a holster quicker than you can a pokeball on a belt? That makes no sense. Using "weapons" in pokemon games is dumb and always will be. Pokemon are extremely dangerous creatures. It makes no sense to attack a trainer with poekmon able to fight when you don't

Gravijah

DonMigs85 said:
PataHikari Shinkaaaa...

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/1080/6474/angemonkk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

that is the best digimon

i could never get it in the original toys though :(

Zoramon089 said:
Ok, so they can reach for a gun in a holster quicker than you can a pokeball on a belt? That makes no sense. Using "weapons" in pokemon games is dumb and always will be. Pokemon are extremely dangerous creatures. It makes no sense to attack a trainer with poekmon able to fight when you don't
Don't forget that some Pokemon like to jump out of their pokeballs at will!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz09vcqfBJU

Kurtofan said:
Krusty's hair is typical clown hair, it's not a trademark or anything.
I always thought Krusty was Homer's second identity. Like Homer was Krusty's secret identity or something. But then I saw them together in that mob episode.

Varna said:
I'm pretty sure they don't.

Why? Because these people are in a world where through out history they have been able to protect themselves with Magical Monsters that can do FAR more harm than shit like guns.

Just think about it ... a Lil Girl could be BFFs with a beastly dragon that can slice through steel beams and take down buildings.
W24ki.jpg

You think that early people with a LONG history of having such power at their command would ... make guns? Guns were made to hunt/ kill/ protect us from things that want to harm us in our world ... in THEIR world thats covered by having Pikachu watching your back and a ball in your pocket.

I feel like making a theory as to how the humans interacted with Pokemon in the early days of their evolution. How we seem to only see human weapons get to the point of swords and spears with a huge jump to the rare usage of lasers in the current day. Will do that after I play Pokemon BW (I hear the story is different and interesting)

Top Bottom