• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should the WiiU have at trophy/achievement system?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Apart from poorly implemented trophies and multiplayer specific trophies that become impossible to obtain, I can tell you some games that WOULD HAVE BEEN ruined with trophies:
- Castlevania SOTN
- the Silent Hills
- Super Mario 3D Land / Super Mario 3D World
- Any game that contains structural game surprises

There's no way you can say that these games would have been ruined if they had trophies/achievements. There's just no way to know whether that would be the case.

Krejlooc

Banned
- Castlevania SOTN

The re-releases of SOTN have trophies, it's hardly ruined. You didn't even explain how trophies would ruin these games, beyond "I hate trophies."

- the Silent Hills

These games have also been re-released with trophies.

These games already have trophies in the form of stickers.

Trophies which reveal a surprising nature of a game can be set with a flag to hide their name and description, on both Xbox and Playstation. They appear instead as "????" with a description of "????????????"

Skilletor

To clarify, because the last time I got genuinely angry posting on GAF was this topic about trophies;

- I'm fine with a systemwide "profile page" which lists whatever collections in whatever games you've earned for any games that choose to implement that, like Steams profile page

- I'm 100% not fine with the concept that trophies should be a mandatory inclusion in a specific standardised format for every game, just as I'm 100% not fine with the concept that every game should be an FPS or that everygame should be open world, and I don't care how much the people who love open world and FPS games want that

Apart from poorly implemented trophies and multiplayer specific trophies that become impossible to obtain, I can tell you some games that WOULD HAVE BEEN ruined with trophies:
- Castlevania SOTN
- the Silent Hills

Wouldn't have ruined them for me since I give no fucks about achievements or trophies and never even look at the ones I've earned.

I have nothing against them being there. Seems like an incentive for people who do care about them to buy games on a particular console, so sure, why not?

El Sabroso

short answer:

long answer: why if achievements are really not always something you want to unlock? (see this one for reference)

achievements are not an absolute and if game designer wants something like achievements they are free to have some reference anyways, bur having the universal system for the platform gives you the obligation to include them and then having problems because 1 are not unlocking or 2 developer comes with the pointless achievements that are not an achievement at all

Experien

While it might be nice...I kind of enjoy the idea of not having trophies loom over my head. Definitely hammers in the thought to everyone that it is just about gaming.

Nope. I love being able to basically create my own achievements through Miiverse. I got over 360 achievements 4 years ago (and trophies I never cared about). 99% of them are garbage.

I would prefer a more fleshed out activity log on Wii U that I could share with my friends and such.

Also, I wish I could see the ratings my friends gave certain games. This always bugged me about every console since rating has become part of consoles. I wish I could be able to see what my friends specifically rated it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No. I don't require a notification or pop up telling me I did thing. I already know I did thing. And merely will come across as an annoyance.

Seik

Banned
Not much later than when the PS3 integrated it. Though relatively speaking the Wii U has way less life in it than the PS3 did I guess.

If they did do a system, I'd like to see some sort of interesting spin on it, though I fear it would exclusively be related to Miiverse which I'd rather forget existed. I much prefer Playstation's "level" system to the gamerscore system of Xbox one (simpler to compare vague levels of trophies) or Steam's (which is...just...basically pointless, a bare step up from Nintendo's)

The PS3 achieved its trophy system a looooong time after it was out. Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid 4 didn't have trophies at launch... And MGS4 was at least a year after the PS3 came out.

It can be done!

Welp, it shows that I wasn't there at launch because I didn't even know there was no trophy system on PS3 at first, my bad then. :p

Allowing trophy/achievement prompts to be hidden prevents all of that. It's not an inherent flaw with the system, but rather its current implementation. Heck, you could even make it the developers' choice if they want the popups or not by default.

It's not "the popup" (although that is one hell of an immersion breaking thing by itself); its the fact that there is a "progress bar".

For games that contain structural surprises about the game length upon seeming completion, it doesn't matter how many ??? trophies you have that don't tell you what they are, playing through a singleplayer game and getting near to where you believe the end to be and seeing you have only unlocked 20% of the ???? trophies makes you know that you're headed for a fake out ending.

maxcriden

I love stamps. I don't want numeric achievements. To me, personally, stamps are more of a qualitative achievement, and typical trophies and achievements make all of the games too same-y in a way. Like, the way you're playing them. That's just my own take on it. Plus, I really like sharing accomplishments on Miiverse as is.

P.S. IMO, Rayman Legends < Origins, but regardless to me, the Murphy levels were much more fun on Wii U, in single player or co-op.

Pila

Nintendo likes more in-game achievements and they're actually better, you can make different things with different games.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's not "the popup" (although that is one hell of an immersion breaking thing by itself); its the fact that there is a "progress bar".

For games that contain structural surprises about the game length upon seeming completion, it doesn't matter how many ??? trophies you have that don't tell you what they are, playing through a singleplayer game and getting near to where you believe the end to be and seeing you have only unlocked 20% of the ???? trophies makes you know that you're headed for a fake out ending.

No it doesn't. I've played games where achievements are hidden that have nothing to do with the story progression at all.

Dsyndrome

Definitely a reason I go for other platforms over Nintendo for multiplatform releases. It's why I get some games on Steam over GoG, despite the inherent DRM issue. I appreciate when the game has internal trophies on WiiU, however, like Shovel Knight. I'll second having a stamp book tied to your NNID, even if it's just me looking at it (because that's all that will be).

No it doesn't. I've played games where achievements are hidden that have nothing to do with the story progression at all.

The only games I've seen that are like that are XBLA games because XBLA games 'weren't allowed' to have the full compulsory list of achievements that full retail titles were.

AgeEighty

I know a lot of people look down on the concept of achievements/trophies, but I actually really enjoy them. And on the occasions when Nintendo has had a cross-platform version of a game, it's caused me to pick up the game on a competing platform, despite wanting Nintendo's releases to succeed.

It's not about bragging rights; I just like having that chronicle of a game player's history publicly viewable, both for myself and others. I see it as something like my gaming fingerprint. I think you can tell a lot about someone by the types of games they've played and the depth to which they played them, and I've found new games for myself by looking at the trophies held by someone whose play history and tastes are similar to my own. And having this info dynamically generated by the system and games themselves is more reliable than asking people what games they've played.

I wish Nintendo would adopt their own version; either come up with their own cool spin on the concept or let devs use the ones they've already made for other platforms, call them "stars" instead of trophies, and call it a day.

Banned
Yes. A lot of nintendo games have tons of content and would be fun to platinum or the equivalent of it anyways. I've seen some posts on GAF where multiplats are skipped due to lack of achievements.

I really dislike achievements in games that are not multiplayer oriented, in those it's fun to have. However most games I play on console are singleplayer and achievement/trophy pop-ups are an immersion breaking annoyance. I got sick of the PS3's trophy sound until the point where I took the time to actually turn them off. I care even less about some overal gamerscore that's just there to feed your e-ego.

Nintendo adds achievement systems in games as challenges or collectibles like the stamps/stickers in 3D World. It's tailored to match the game's experience and I appreciate that rather than tacked on achievements with punny names.

Insaniac

Trophys and achievements are meaningless to me besides that very small window satisfaction when I see the notifaction on the screen (due to something I did randomly).

If trophys and achievements had some extra benefit associated with it then I would be more inclined to want something on Wii U

Dimmle

If it helps others enjoy games more, then sure.

Personally, I've always found it to be a pretty artificial way to add value. It's a cheap psychological exploit. We love seeing check boxes filled.

I think they should. They have a lot of appeal. I remember when I used to be on the Sony boards back in 2007-8 I was constantly seeing people say they got a game for 360 instead of PS3 just because of achievements, and shortly after trophies were implemented it was "no trophies no buy" for games that didn't have them, or never had them patched in. Games like Valkyria Chronicles would have sold
more copies if they'd patched trophies in.

I think that stance is silly, but I do enjoy trophies. Not for bragging rights or anything (I won't say how many platinums I have) but I do like getting them. I view them as a collectathon meta-game that pushes me to do things in games I normally wouldn't bother with. If I really love a game/find it really fun I will go the extra mile to platinum it (within reason, some games are just too much time/work).

In-game achievements like the bottlecaps in TW101 don't work for me because they're in the game only. If they were linked to my miiverse profile viewable outside the game they'd serve the same function. It's not about showing off, it's just about having something viewable on record, even if I'm the only one looking.

In-game achievements like the bottlecaps in TW101 don't work for me because they're in the game only. If they were linked to my miiverse profile viewable outside the game they'd serve the same function. It's not about showing off, it's just about having something viewable on record, even if I'm the only one looking.

Then make a Miiverse post about the bottle cap with a screenshot. Done.

Krejlooc

Banned
That doesn't make it a singleplayer game anymore than Smash Bros chucking in a Mario Party minigame is a singleplayer game.

Your entire contention is about story-driven elements being spoiled because of some non-sense about fakeout endings. You ask for an example, I give you one, but it doesn't count because of "reasons."

You're not arguing in good faith.

That doesn't make it a singleplayer game anymore than Smash Bros chucking in a Mario Party minigame is a singleplayer game.

EDIT:

It has online only multiplayer achievements.

This is one pretty stupid post. 10 hour single player story mode =/= single player. Okay. Especially since you're argument against story related achievements that spoil the story.

The Evil Within

And without having played it and just by looking at the achievements list, I now know that it has 14 chapters and can be completed in under 5 hours.

Structurally spoilt.

EDIT:
Your entire contention is about story-driven elements being spoiled because of some non-sense about fakeout endings. You ask for an example, I give you one, but it doesn't count because of "reasons."

You're not arguing in good faith.

This is one pretty stupid post. 10 hour single player story mode =/= single player. Okay. Especially since you're argument against story related achievements that spoil the story.

Apparently my argument isn't clear enough:

In a singleplayer game - that is, a game that has no multiplayer -, a list of storyline checkpoint achievements outlines the structure of the story in advance.

Krejlooc

Banned
It has online only multiplayer achievements.

which has nothing to do with the point you're arguing. You were off on some tangent about story driven elements.

You asked THIS:

Maybe you'd like to tell me which singleplayer games don't have storyline checkpoint achievements that make up the bulk of the total achievements and act like a progress system then?

Them goalposts be movin'.

TGMIII

And without having played it and just by looking at the achievements list, I now know that it has 14 chapters and can be completed in under 5 hours.

Structurally spoilt.

Have you tried not looking at the achievement list for games? That appears to be a way to solve your problems.

Renzoku

Banned
Personally, irrelevant. I woudn't care either way. If they existed, I would try to get them since I try to complete everything in the games I buy. Without them, I still pretty much do everything that would typically award you an achievement.

Business-wise, I highly doubt it could be used as a selling point.

Absolutely. Some trophy/achievement lists make a game better, and the ones that don't, well... you can safely ignore getting the arbitrary rewards in those.

Top Bottom