• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should the WiiU have at trophy/achievement system?

Sami+

Yeah, nice. The Sony morans added that primitive feature years AFTER those games were released. It's a simple switch. An intern could have added that in a few days at best.

Also: there is no way to disable them for ONE game. You have to disable them for all games and even then they still aren't really disabled. The notifications are just hidden. And in case you want them to show up in another game, you have to enable them again.

And there is also still no way for a developer to say "fuck you, we don't WANT to add trophies into our game". The developers also can't themselves decide to hide the notifications.

Sony themselves didn't delay trophies in Shadow Of The Colossus. I mean even if they delayed them to not pop in the absolutely worst moment possible (they managed to do exactly that), it would still mess up the overall feeling of the game. They would have needed to pop them all after the credits rolled. And then all this feature about seeing who is stuck at which point would be simply lost.

And again, the Sony fucks added that feature a year ago or so. Lots and lots of people requested it. And it took them ages to do it. Should have been there right when they introduced those silly checklists.

You seem to be really upset over this for some reason. "The Sony fucks". lol, what are you, twelve?

Absolutely. Of course it's not mandatory or anything, but while I haven't played my PS3 or 360 in forever I still do enjoy having a list of all the games I've played, recording everything I've done on them. It's just nice to look back on and I'm never going to understand the resistance to them, it's an extra that can easily be avoided if you're uninterested.

Krejlooc

Banned
Then why are there still achievements for things like "Press Start!" or "Watched Endgame Credits". Are these objectives?

Sure, they're poor objectives, but sure.

When I flash "Press start" on the screen, my goal is to get the player to press start.

This line of argument stems from a guy saying that the presence of achievements dictates the design of the game, because they must design objectives to be fulfilled. The apparent use of "press start' achievements dispels this notion - devs don't have to spend time thinking up objectives to be filled. Everything has an objective.

What does miiverse lack to satisfy people who want a mandatory trophy system? Because I honestly don't see anything.

Organization. Comparison.

And I don't want a mandatory system. I'm okay with devs choosing not to include them. But I want an actual system. Miiverse is NOT an achievement system. It is a forum.

Krejlooc

Banned
What does miiverse lack to satisfy people who want a mandatory trophy system? Because I honestly don't see anything.

The argument isn't so much for achievements in and of themselves, it's a call for a system-wide implementation. There are a number of benefits from a system interface opposed to a per-game implementation, the most obvious being an easy form of cross-game comparison. Take, for example, this suggestion:

In-game achievements like the bottlecaps in TW101 don't work for me because they're in the game only. If they were linked to my miiverse profile viewable outside the game they'd serve the same function. It's not about showing off, it's just about having something viewable on record, even if I'm the only one looking.

Then make a Miiverse post about the bottle cap with a screenshot. Done.

This completely misses the point being made. It's not about just being able to show off your achievements online. To wit:

This is the entire reason implementing such a feature system-wide is a great thing. It's neat to be able to bring up a list of my trophies/achievements and compare them to my buddies. Not for competition, but as a way to see what sort of games we like. If my buddies have maxed out all the achievements or trophies in a game, its usually a sign to me that the game is worth checking out.

Such features really only work at a system level. On a game-by-game basis, I have to actually have the game in the first place to check the trophy/achievement progress.

Taking a picture of your achievements and posting it to miiverse accomplishes none of what I just described.

Ideally, such a system would be linked to an online profile, like miiverse in general, I agree. All these technologies should be orchestrated in concert, not as isolated, redundant systems.

Sami+

Absolutely. Of course it's not mandatory or anything, but while I haven't played my PS3 or 360 in forever I still do enjoy having a list of all the games I've played, recording everything I've done on them. It's just nice to look back on and I'm never going to understand the resistance to them, it's an extra that can easily be avoided if you're uninterested.

Agreed with all of this. Also wanna add that whenever I add someone to my friend list the first thing I do is compare trophies just to see how much overlap there is and what else they're into.

Mihos

Gold Member
I would like it if it had them. It gives me a push to go back and see what I missed or try things I normally wouldn't.

I can tell you I played/replayed a lot of stuff on the Xbox version of Bayonetta that I know I won't bother with at all on the WiiU version because of it. The Mario Stars and Stickers are the only reason I bothered with those crappy Cpt Toad levels. It killed me to have the star empty on a stage I had everything else.

To be fair, unless I'm missing something in your argument, iOS and Steam have system wide achievement paradigms that address your concerns: there's no mandate for every game to support achievements, it's up to devs, but achievements are tracked on a system/account level.

This would seem to be the best compromise system wouldn't it?
But some people aren't happy with that.

So they will keep demanding ALL games MUST have achievements.
And Valve and Nintendo will continue not doing that.

mantidor

Organization. Comparison.

And I don't want a mandatory system. I'm okay with devs choosing not to include them. But I want an actual system. Miiverse is NOT an achievement system. It is a forum.

Comparison to what? It does seem like showing off.

Organization is an odd one, I don't see any reason to organize your games by achievements, but yeah miiverse does not offer that. If its about games you haven't played or have played little the backlog works well for that.

Jobbs

Banned
I'll always love achievements/trophies and I'll never quite be able to articulate why. I just like having recognition for what I do, and I like keeping a tally. I just do.

If you don't care or don't like it -- okay, that's fine, but who is it hurting?

The lack of such a system on Wii U is actually a turn off for me.

It is crazy to think that in an odd way the European website had more achievements than a Nintendo console has ever had:
noebadges.png

Of course you couldn't show these to anyone and no I don't remember what any of them were for.

Though thinking about sensibly accomplishments and stamps are way better than those.

hwy_61

Banned
Not gonna lie, I would love them. There's a part of my dumb monkey brain that gets a little jolt whenever that achievement/trophy notification pops up.

mantidor

Communities work very well to find people with your same interests gaming-wise, I don't see the need to compare trophies to achieve that, trophies are an indicative on how skilled or how far you are in the game, they really don't tell you directly how much a person likes the game.

Maybe if there was a way to see how much communities you belong to in miiverse would be a good idea, I don't know if it offers that now though.

Percy

Banned
I don't get why some of you are so hostile to the idea of some of us having the option to enjoy something like this. Jimi Dini seems like he's about to have an aneurysm in particular over it :/

Wouldn't negatively impact your gameplaying in any way guys.

Krejlooc

Banned
Communities work very well to find people with your same interests gaming-wise, I don't see the need to compare trophies to achieve that, trophies are an indicative on how skilled or how far you are in the game, they really don't tell you directly how much a person likes the game.

Maybe if there was a way to see how much communities you belong to in miiverse would be a good idea, I don't know if it offers that now though.

I'd rather be able to do this with an actual living friend I know in real life, which is what I was describing. I don't form my opinions from strangers, actually, in general. I generally have a tight group of people whose opinions I seek out, and what I described is one way I do this.

Although, truthfully, what you are describing with Miiverse would be in essence an achievement system. I just don't think, currently, Miiverse offers what I look for in such a system.

I don't get why some of you are so hostile to the idea of some of us having the option to enjoy something like this.

So what's the problem with a system like Steams where there is a central profile, but game developers can choose whether they use it or not?

leroidys

Yeah, the probably should.

I say this as someone who thinks that trophies often actively detract from game design, but there's just not much of an excuse for nintendo not to have what's seen as such a basic feature these days.

I don't care if they add one. I'd certainly just ignore it if they did. (Just like I do with all my other consoles/steam.)

The Wii U in fact broke me of my interest in achievements. It reminded me that games are just enjoyable in and of themselves, and seeing those achievement pop-ups or chasing some sort of very specific goal often drags you away from the core experience.

Comparison to what? It does seem like showing off.

Organization is an odd one, I don't see any reason to organize your games by achievements, but yeah miiverse does not offer that. If its about games you haven't played or have played little the backlog works well for that.

Comparison to other players. Whether it seems like showing off or no, Miiverse does not give you the option to compare your achievements with your friends. Whether you like the idea of "bragging rights" or not, other achievement systems have this functionality built in and Miiverse does not.

By organization, I'm talking something as simple as filtering all of your achievements by game. The easiest way to see what Deus Ex achievements I've unlocked is put the disc in my Wii U and open the actual game. If Miiverse was supposed to be an alternative to the achievement systems of other systems, which it absolutely isn't, it would have failed in the most basic concept of organization and cataloging.

Agreed with all of this. Also wanna add that whenever I add someone to my friend list the first thing I do is compare trophies just to see how much overlap there is and what else they're into.
Seconded. I understand that some people "never look at trophies." But I sure as heck do. It's a quick way to see their tastes and what games they've played recently.
I'll always love achievements/trophies and I'll never quite be able to articulate why. I just like having recognition for what I do, and I like keeping a tally. I just do.

If you don't care or don't like it -- okay, that's fine, but who is it hurting?

The lack of such a system on Wii U is actually a turn off for me.
Agreed with this as well. Just give us them with the option to hide them (cough Sony cough) so people who don't want them don't have to deal.

So what's the problem with a system like Steams where there is a central profile, but game developers can choose whether they use it or not?
Who said there was a problem? I'm sure most people would be thrilled if Nintendo had a system like Steam. I would. They don't though.

Agreed with this as well. Just give us them with the option to hide them (cough Sony cough) so people who don't want them don't have to deal.
You can hide your trophies on Sony systems. Alternately, you can choose to hide trophies only for specific games. This is in your privacy settings.

Pretty sure you can also turn off notifications, if that is what you mean.

Skux

Yes, and make them optional. I love trophy hunting on games I really like. It also helps build a community around the game (the folks making guides at PS3trophies are an incredibly dedicated bunch) and increase its longevity.

zroid

Banned
Well, I think some people really like achievements so it would be a good way to help attract them to the Wii U, or future Nintendo platforms. Personally it's not something I care about.

Who said there was a problem? I'm sure most people would be thrilled if Nintendo had a system like Steam. I would. They don't though.

You can hide your trophies on Sony systems. Alternately, you can choose to hide trophies only for specific games. This is in your privacy settings.

Pretty sure you can also turn off notifications, if that is what you mean.
I was talking notifications, but kind of more for specific games. Did they actually add that? Because dear God would I like to toggle that feature for some games.

I was talking notifications, but kind of more for specific games. Did they actually add that? Because dear God would I like to toggle that feature for some games.

Ah. I've heard you can hide the notifications but I don't mind them personally so can't confirm or deny.

For hiding the actual trophies, it's got limited usefulness, imho. You personally can still see the trophies and they still show up on your trophy list, but other people aren't able to look at them. You can do this for all games or choose specific games. I have confirmed this works just yesterday.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
IMO the Activity Log is a feature that the Wii U should improve upon. The 3DS one is great.

Comparing Trophies with people I meet online or in my Friend's list is something I enjoy, as it helps me determine how similar or divergent our interests in game is. I get a real kick out of putting my list against other players and seeing what I have done that they have not and vice-verse. It's like an additional game in and of itself. I especially enjoy it in games like Watch_Dogs with the Hacking / Tailing mechanic--it's fun to see how other people are playing the same game.

Implementing such a system would likely benefit Nintendo in the long run, but it doesn't seem like something they are interested in. I certainly don't think it could hurt--gamers who don't want to be involved should just be given the option to turn the notifications off like other consoles offer and ignore them altogether. I'm surprised there's such a debate over the issue--collect them if you like them, ignore them if you don't. Either way, enjoy your games to their fullest, I mean, they certainly cost enough!

KiraXD

i think adding trophies/achievements is a great idea (im pro-trophies)

Think about it... when uncharted and MGS4 came out... i played the SHIT out of them 100%ing uncharted and getting 50ish% in MGS4

then i stopped playing them because i beat em and moved on to other games...

Then they added trophies and i WENT BACK to the games! and 100% uncharted again... effectively giving it a whole new repay values worth of gaming. same with MGS4.

Trophies give game replayability when they otherwise could be one shots...

Most of the time when i play, i play the game for the story first... any trophies obtained through this first playthrough is just bonus.

Once this main playthrough is done... i will usually go back and get those trophies (if its fun to do so... if not... then fuck it... no loss right?)

This can only be a good thing... adding features never hurts (usually lol) if you dont care about trophies... you dont need to focus on them... if you do like them... great!

Hedja

Don't really care for trophies. In-game achievements with rewards/unlockables have always been good enough.

I'd much rather unlock actual content in a game than receive a false sense of achievement from someone maybe looking at my trophy list. It doesn't hurt to have, but if I had to choose, I'd rather unlock content than a pointless achievement that does dick all to improve my enjoyment of the game.

I love the stamps in Super Mario 3D Land and I think that should be Nintendo equivalent. Incentivize all games brought to the system to have their own per-game achievements that unlock miiverse stamps. It pushes more people to miiverse as well which is also a huge plus.

I would say yes, but some people have pointed out how it's a bit too late for them to throw that in for the WiiU. Hopefully the next system though. At the end of the day, if they have competent options like turning off the notifications, then there's no downside and they may as well put it in to appease people, even if it's only a small crowd.

espher

It probably should just to get people who must have them to buy more games, but I personally don't care. My gamerscore is ~5,400 (I checked prior to making this post, as I was curious) and I've owned a 360 since mid-2007. I probably have some trophies, but I couldn't tell you which.

If someone wants to know how far along I am in a game, they can ask me (or if I want to tell them, I'll tell them). Same goes for them telling me or me asking them.

But I do get that some people like them -- I used to have a compulsion to 100% games many years ago, too.

Meesh

Sure, achievements ahoy!!! They should be in the form of Mii collectibles and items though I think, or even smexy dashboard wallpapers and themes for a future WiiU update. (Hopes and dreams.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People who say "no" to this question are the epitome of "stop liking what I don't like" IMO.
A lot of people who say "no" are happy with the current system which includes achievements. They prefer the tailored approach over the one size fits all approach. It's nothing to do with being anti achievement.

Why would anyone argue against adding additional features to something?
It's not really an additional feature when it already exist, it's just changing the approach.

Top Bottom