• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows |OT| Saving You From The Plague of Paid DLC

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
shoveltoptpkzgsmall0us7l.png

Developer: Yacht Club Games
Platforms: Wii U, 3DS, PS3, PS4, Vita, Xbox One, PC, Mac, Linux
Release Date: September 17, 2015
Price: Free! (For owners of Shovel Knight)

Overview
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows is a free expansion for Shovel Knight, a sweeping classic action adventure game that won over 70 Game of the Year Awards in 2014. You play as Plague Knight, the villainous master of alchemy, in a quest all his own. Using his maniacal scientific mind, Plague Knight is seeking to concoct Serum Supernus, the Ultimate Potion. However, to retrieve these ingredients, he must extract them from his former allies… the villainous knights of the Order of No Quarter! World class platforming, music, storytelling, and art all return in Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows; an explosive quest with a new play style, new story, new bosses, and more!

• New objectives and enemies!
  • Brand new areas and new paths through classic levels!
  • New bosses!
  • Is your science up to snuff? Take on Plague Knight specific challenges with new Feats!
  • Prove your mettle in Challenge Mode. Take on speed run challenges, boss rematches, and other rule-benders… and expect some tricky puzzles too!
  • The first of three boss campaigns!
  • New music from Jake Kaufman!
  • Will be delivered automatically as a patch (except for early versions on 3DS)!
For an extremely in depth look at the design of this new campaign, visit here. A small taste:
Because we needed to cover the height of Shovel Knight’s normal jump as well as the additional height gained from bouncing on an enemy, Plague Knight’s extra jump height wasn’t a concern to us from the a level design standpoint. Getting great height takes some mastery to execute and can be risky…but it can also be a ton of fun too. Notice how we combine double jumps and bursts in order to reach ledges you couldn’t without help before.

plague_bomb_secret.gif

Also, note that the additional height combined with the burst speed lets you cover great lengths. With proper timing and a little bit of courage, you can sail through entire rooms of obstacles.

plague_bookroom.gif

Media
Trailer

Screenshots

Art

Links
Instruction Manual
Yacht Club Games
NeoGAF OT
Metacritic
How to unlock campaign (if you haven't beaten the main game)
Soundtrack download

I'm all in, baby.

More Shovel goodness. I actually did a speed-run of half the game some days ago just to get into it again. Really fun game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Boy I sure hope there's new music, I've been listening to the Shovel Knight OST since the game first came out.

I don't need this so close to Mario Maker though!!!!!!!

Blues1990

Aside from the co-op mode (which I wished wasn't locked with the Shovel Knight Amiibo), the campaigns for the villains is something that I'm looking forward to the most. I also wished there was a campaign for Shield Knight, as she just looks so awesome.

I am one of those savages that didn't play Shovelknight until recently. Still working my way through it but having a blast, excited to know this is waiting for me when I'm ready.

Good OT!

Do we know if they're all the Shovel Knight levels that we'll be playing through or a subset of the Shovel Knight levels?
Most levels are the same, with maybe a few new paths or areas. I imagine stuff like the relic levels have been replaced by a plague knight equivalent. Probably a different endgame too

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how is this free? is this like a small 3 level thing or what?

how is this free? is this like a small 3 level thing or what?

It's an enormous expansion. They made an entirely new character who plays completely differently, a few new levels, and looked at and retooled the old levels for the new character. Honestly, I feel kinda bad getting it for free since I wasn't a backer, and I'd gladly pay for this content.

And that's ignoring the new challenge mode stuff for both Shovel Knight and Plague knight

Honestly, I think it should've only been free for backers. This is going so above and beyond what was necessary, and took so much time, and the only ones they're really obligated to give it for free because of stretch goals are the people who helped make the game possible by backing it on kickstarter. I mean, it's too late for that now, but man I feel bad getting it for free

Honestly, I think it should've only been free for backers. This is going so above and beyond what was necessary, and took so much time, and the only ones they're really obligated to give it for free because of stretch goals are the people who helped make the game possible by backing it on kickstarter. I mean, it's too late for that now, but man I feel bad getting it for free

I understand what you mean, but it's common for stretch goals to be free for all. It could also be complicated logistically to only make it free for certain users.

Can't wait!

Not when they can drop the price to $10 on sale every expansion and get front page exposure on every digital store. It will make them quite a bit of money.

I understand what you mean, but it's common for stretch goals to be free for all. It could also be complicated logistically to only make it free for certain users.

I mean, they couldn't they just distribute it through a code through kickstarter, like they do with the base game? Doesn't seem more complicated that that would already be.

Also, it's common, but most stretch goals aren't anywhere near as big as this, and they're doing 2 more of these as well

Not when they can drop the price to $10 every expansion and get front page exposure on every digital store. It will make them quite a bit of money.

Didn't they say they weren't going to do any sales for Shovel Knight, with the idea that they'd add value through new content, rather than by dropping the price

wiibomb

Quite amazed to see how much is included and the amazing work they have been putting, all of that for free...

shovel knight doing the right thing, the right way

Top Bottom