• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2012 Edition

gRxhF.jpg

ENqHq.jpg

d9la8.jpg

Hellish

Hey thanks man appreciate that : )

Also nice set up's @ the two new posts, I wonder how much I could get for my 1 GTX 480 these days. Probably be lucky to clear $100. Upgrading to kepler whenever that comes out.

Sold my 480 today for $250.

Yoona

Banned
I'm not ballin like everyone else in this thread but oh well :(

5zg2w.jpg

Panasonic plasma 42ST30
PS3 slim
360 slim
3DS
shit HP laptop
FRIENDS on TV <3

He made them apparently! Impressive stuff.

@KoreanBarbecue:
Where did you get that cabinet that all your 360 games are in? I'm loving the frosted glass doors!

Yep, that's the Billy bookcase from IKEA. It's worked great for me for a long time, but now that my 360 collection needs more space, I need a nice looking alternative that doesn't have a huge footprint... :[

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
hey guys- as mentioned previously i've been loving this thread for a number of years so i thought i will contribute some pics of my bachelor pad. i've recently moved in and am really enjoying having my own place. it is an 2bed apartment in england- the architectural layout is relatively conservative. as you may tell i am more of a music lover rather than a hardcore gamer/movie lover but want to add a racing simulator next.

living room

IMG_2788.jpg

1160-wut.png

No but seriously, it seems like every GAF member in Europe lives this well. Awesome setup.

Bgamer90

Banned
It seems like every apartment in England has hardwood floors and open floor plans. In Florida its all about wall to wall carpeting and mustard yellow walls.

Haha.

I love the sleek "modern minimalist" style but it's pretty hard to get that look here in America (especially the part of the country in which I live).

donkamio

Neo Member
peeps- much much love for the comments. its the first time i've aired pics of the apartment so its nice to see others like it too.

when i got the place it was totally average and a bit dark and dingy but the main essentials (flooring, carpets etc) were in place. just needed a lick of paint and some vivid imagination to make it as it is. i like music, art, designer furniture and tech and wanted to combine it into a plush pop art kind of look with personality. i think i've done relatively well considering the constraints of the layout.

@onkelc- profession is not exciting- procurement data management

@rufus- tell me about it son!!

@vissistudes- the rugs are 100% pure silk handmade in qom, iran. must have taken mad years to make each one and they are without doubt the most exquisite (and most expensive) items in the flat. it comes down to personal taste but i think oriental rugs add exoticism and characeter.

@lv99 slacker- TV is pioneer kuro 9g 50 inch. speakers are s8i's by monitor audio. cd/integrated amp are a3.2 by musical fidelity and turntable is michell gyrodec. had this system a number of years but it is still immense!!! that being said, a full hi-fi upgrade is planned q4 2012.

- also the monitor on the yellow stand was not plugged in for the pictures. i usually plug it into my work laptop on the weekends for webbrowsing while watching tv. as the stand is hollow, the idea of incorporating a pc inside is a very good one!!!

thanks again guys!!! i reckon we'll get this thread upto 100pages this year so keep on posting your setups (Chittagong- i''m very much looking forward to yours)

btf1980

donkamio, a damn tasty apartment you have. Absolutely glorious! I love everything about it. Great sense of style.

What cartridge are you using on the Michell Gyro turntable?

NaviLink

I have to confess that my favorite setup the last few years has been the one from Tabris.
But we finally have a challenger with donkamio.

Seriously guys, I love your setups. I'd love to have something like that one day. You must have nice gigs to get all that sweet stuff.

donkamio

Neo Member
donkamio, a damn tasty apartment you have. Absolutely glorious! I love everything about it. Great sense of style.

What cartridge are you using on the Michell Gyro turntable?

thanks my friend! if my memory serves me correctly it is a Pickering XLZ-7500-S. a very sweet dynamic sound on the turntable regardless of whether i'm playing biggies first album or some crazy psyched out acid mothers temple.

I have to confess that my favorite setup the last few years has been the one from Tabris.
But we finally have a challenger with donkamio.

Seriously guys, I love your setups. I'd love to have something like that one day. You must have nice gigs to get all that sweet stuff.

very kind of you!!! Tabris is the O.G. of this thread!!

Tabris

Very impressive donkamio. Definitely my style, very clean. Reminds me of THE FORCE's setup who posted here a while ago and inspired me. I'm also pretty sure that Yachtmaster watch is worth more than all of my furniture, so once again, impressive :)

I really love seeing the range of setups in this thread. I think it is just as interesting to see what people are doing with tiny apartments, bedrooms, and dorm rooms as it is with those who have massive houses. Personally, I am way more impressed with those who utilize a smaller budget to get appealing results than someone who just buys a ton of expensive furniture and equipment.

No offense to donkamio, but as soon as I see a collection of watches that include $30K ones and tacky oriental rugs that cost more than my college education, I immediately lose interest. I'm not that wowed by someone creating a setup who can afford such lavish items. I don't think any of the top class setups have crossed it yet,but there is a fine line between minimalism and cold, sterile and soulless.

Don't lose heart budget/normal GAF, you can create awesome setups without "rolling in it". Clean spaces with a blend of comfort, cozy, and class will always outweigh a room that looks like it belongs in a catalog. For a point of reference of what others might view as a dickhead/jaded opinion, I went to school for product design so I have been drowned in over priced bullshit that people laud as "sexy and brilliant" for years. Designers talking about how they've designed a chair for "regular" people yet it costs 60K, ugh fuck off. Due to this, I've developed a huge appreciation and taste for simpler, reclaimed, or handmade pieces of furniture. Eg, Sean2's reclaimed wood table is a perfect example of how awesome understated affordable things can look. If you live in a major city, keep an eye on the curbs. You will be amazed at the things people throw away in perfect or slightly worn condition. Some simple sanding, painting, finishing etc can yield "designer" results. Only requires a sliver of patience and very basic DIY skill.

That said, please keep the posts coming! I love seeing them all no matter my opinion.

donkamio

Neo Member
I really love seeing the range of setups in this thread. I think it is just as interesting to see what people are doing with tiny apartments, bedrooms, and dorm rooms as it is with those who have massive houses. Personally, I am way more impressed with those who utilize a smaller budget to get appealing results than someone who just buys a ton of expensive furniture and equipment.

No offense to donkamio, but as soon as I see a collection of watches that include $30K ones and tacky oriental rugs that cost more than my college education, I immediately lose interest. I'm not that wowed by someone creating a setup who can afford such lavish items. I don't think any of the top class setups have crossed it yet,but there is a fine line between minimalism and cold, sterile and soulless.

Don't lose heart budget/normal GAF, you can create awesome setups without "rolling in it". Clean spaces with a blend of comfort, cozy, and class will always outweigh a room that looks like it belongs in a catalog. For a point of reference of what others might view as a dickhead/jaded opinion, I went to school for product design so I have been drowned in over priced bullshit that people laud as "sexy and brilliant" for years. Designers talking about how they've designed a chair for "regular" people yet it costs 60K, ugh fuck off. Due to this, I've developed a huge appreciation and taste for simpler, reclaimed, or handmade pieces of furniture. Eg, Sean2's reclaimed wood table is a perfect example of how awesome understated affordable things can look. If you live in a major city, keep an eye on the curbs. You will be amazed at the things people throw away in perfect or slightly worn condition. Some simple sanding, painting, finishing etc can yield "designer" results. Only requires a sliver of patience and very basic DIY skill.

That said, please keep the posts coming! I love seeing them all no matter my opinion.

i feel you bro! no offence taken! i love seeing all types of setup regardless of what ones current position is. you should see my previous setups- in fact my current setup in my bedroom at my parents house is pure ghetto (14" crt, ps1, vcr, crackley pc speakers into archos mp3 , old pc as dvd player) yet i love chilling there playing metal gear, listening to compressed music and smoking on a fat reef.

p.s. i too am loving sean2's setup and desk- very herman miller

Somehow, I don't think filling one's hospice with other people's curbside refuse is very appealing...

What city do you live in? I've found a rare Eames chair on the curb in NYC that had the plastic tips on the feet missing and that's it! People throw out great furniture all the time here simply because they don't want to do craigslist or have to move in a hurry. It isn't like I am saying take a fucking used mattress. Desks, tables, anything without fabric is as clean as anything else you own. Just because it touched a curb doesn't make it shit.

Edit: I don't think nice/expensive items are all bad. I would love to one day own a real Eero Saarinen Womb Chair, but I wouldn't want to have my entire apt filled with Saarineen furniture as much as I love him. Like I said, I am jaded for very specific reasons. Clearly most on GAF are of the opposite opinion.

donkamio

Neo Member
^^^ funny you should say that. i'm sitting here at work in a original Eames high back soft-pad management chair (current retail is £3200). it is a vintage made by herman miller (not vitra) and guess what, it was lined up to throw in the skip yet was in perfect condition? i saved it and now its mine and if i leave my job i can take it with me (it should fetch £600-900 on the bay but i wouldn't sell it- its too damn comfy). a good example of how what is thought of a junk by design philistine's can actually be really worthwhile.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
haha, you just described 90% of apartments ive lived in in south florida.

I honestly will never understand. Carpet is filthy, and makes apartments unbearably hot. Most people with at least one animal know that carpet is a nightmare to clean. You would think that middle class-range apartments would at least have laminate, or even tile. Best case scenario, genuine hardwood.

I can't imagine how often this complex has to replace carpeting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What city do you live in? I've found a rare Eames chair on the curb in NYC that had the plastic tips on the feet missing and that's it! People throw out great furniture all the time here simply because they don't want to do craigslist or have to move in a hurry. It isn't like I am saying take a fucking used mattress. Desks, tables, anything without fabric is as clean as anything else you own. Just because it touched a curb doesn't make it shit.

Edit: I don't think nice/expensive items are all bad. I would love to one day own a real Eero Saarinen Womb Chair, but I wouldn't want to have my entire apt filled with Saarineen furniture as much as I love him. Like I said, I am jaded for very specific reasons. Clearly most on GAF are of the opposite opinion.

Lol, well I go to school in St. Louis. People leave their babies on the curb.

What city do you live in? I've found a rare Eames chair on the curb in NYC that had the plastic tips on the feet missing and that's it!

I don't know what it is with GAF but it seems like the Eames chair is the only good chair a lot of people here know about.

Oh, and donkamio, I love your white rug! I have the same one in my living room but sadly it gets so "thin" after awhile. When I changed tables and walked through the middle of the rug it was night and day. When new it's the most comfortable rug in the world. When used, it's just extremely comfortable. :p

Lol, well I go to school in St. Louis. People leave their babies on the curb.

Can't say I know St.Louis very well. However, a baby with a light coat of a dark paint, sanded and then followed by a coat of a lighter paint will give the baby a very distressed, "shabby chic" look. Place your distressed baby on a shelf or mantle in a low traffic area of your house/apt as the baby's constant needs for attention will distract your guests and hinder the energy flow of your living space.

I don't know what it is with GAF but it seems like the Eames chair is the only good chair a lot of people here know about.

I sighted it for that very reason. There are a ton of Eames/Herman Miller knock off's or chairs that are inspired by their design. Their chairs often serve as a "intro" to designer chairs. Lastly, they made some awesome timeless furniture.

Bing147

First post here on NeoGaf. Signed up over 5 years ago, lol, just never got to posting. Anyway, I'll try to find some pictures to post later. But I'd actually agree with those saying you can find nice things that others have pitched sometimes.

I moved in October 2010. Picked up and left Michigan and moved to Georgia with only what me and my fiancee could fit in our car. Sold everything I couldn't fit. I needed the money to move, did what I had to do to get out of Michigan and the awful economy there. My first place down here I rented was furnished so I still bought very little furniture. However when I got my own place after my first 6 month lease I had to buy all my own furniture and I've been doing a pretty good job I must say. I have a pretty decent set up, nothing amazing but nice. I also had sold almost all of my games, everything but my 360 and Dreamcast but my 360 died 2 months after I got here. Since then I've rebought a 360, bought a Wii, bought a PS3, bought two HDTVs (couldn't fit my HD back home in the car, just an old CRT that I still have though not hooked up), a NICE couch, nice entertainment center. But I found some treasures too. My bedroom entertainment center? Found it on the curb the day I moved into my new place. A bit scratched up but in great shape and very sturdy and strong. Its a nice piece and though I'll probably replace it at some point, its made my transition much easier.

Still need to rebuy all my classic systems though... sold my Genesis/Sega CD/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Saturn/SNES/NES/DS before my move, didn't have a choice, needed the money. But I definitely want it (along with the 800 or so games I sold...) back.

Oh, and for the record, and I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't want anything but carpeting. I had hard wood floors at my first place in Georgia. It looks great but scratches SO easily... plus it needs to be cleaned CONSTANTLY to look good. I can get away with vacuuming once a week even with two cats. I had to swiffer that hard wood three times a week.

Its hard to tell whether u guys r dissing eames chairs or not so i guess I wont post mine but I love it. Its such a comfortable chair and visitors always comment when they say it. Dunno why u guys are dissing someone for having lavish taste or money, donkAmios place is gorgeous. Not to my taste but its still a fantastic and beautifully set up home.

Its hard to tell whether u guys r dissing eames chairs or not so i guess I wont post mine but I love it. Its such a comfortable chair and visitors always comment when they say it. Dunno why u guys are dissing someone for having lavish taste or money, donkAmios place is gorgeous. Not to my taste but its still a fantastic and beautifully set up home.

I don't think anyone is dissing anyone. Simply expressing different tastes. In regards to Eames\Herman Miller, they make incredible furniture and they are well known for that reason. If people have the means to buy a ton of pricey stuff, more too them. I simply don't think the total monetary value of your setup necessarily reflects the quality or aesthetic appeal of it, see Sean2's table.

I would like to see people inspired by others and "clean up"/rearrange their set ups. Rearranging things can make a bigger difference than buying new furniture some of the time. This thread has inspired me to tackle some long put off cable management and device rearrangement.

I think im just too lazy to vacuum, dust and clean up in order to set up a photoshoot. I really should tho, maybe this weekend. Ive upgraded a lot of shit since I got my eames chair, new sound system and KAWS stuff, vita etc. dunno how u guys keep ur places so clean

I think im just too lazy to vacuum, dust and clean up in order to set up a photoshoot. I really should tho, maybe this weekend. Ive upgraded a lot of shit since I got my eames chair, new sound system and KAWS stuff, vita etc. dunno how u guys keep ur places so clean

Live with a woman? In honesty, at some point I started taking pride in my apt. because I like having people over. I always keep my nerd area tidy and clean our kitchen all the time. Moving in with a SO helps a ton because you can split the duties. Room mates tend to never pitch in their share.

Top Bottom