• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

xJavonta

Banned
Ah ok, Front High speakers in a 9.2 setup.

Holy shit wow. I had no idea this was a thing. Sounds like it would be more practical in a dedicated theater or in a set of headphones than a living area though.

Not hating on your setup, I think it's slick as hell.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
JeFfRey, can I see some more photos of your kitchen? It looks amazing. What are those small monitors on the side of the cabinets for?

Layd Dly

My Home Theater Gaming Setup. SteamBox HTPC, Wii U, PS3, 360, Optoma HD20, 120" Screen.

8316891214_7cd23a5bde_b.jpg

8315830587_caa40af849_b.jpg

8316895194_6dcf64892b_b.jpg

Amagon

^^^^^^^^

Okay, I need to know where you get your shelves at and how many dvds/blu-rays it can hold? Set-up looks great btw

GulAtiCa

Here is my current gaming setup.

eeY.jpeg

Main 51 inch HDTV. Which also contains most of my consoles. On top of the stand and to the right is my Wii U w/ 2 TB HDD somewhat behind it. On the stand to the left is device I use to record my HD systems

aNI.jpeg

Main setup of consoles ready to be played.
Top row: PS3, PS2 Slim
Middle row: SNES, Xbox 360
Bottom row: GC, NEX (NES like system), Dreamcast
You can't see it, but in the right drawer contains my Sega Master system.

4W3Ie.jpeg

Main case of current generation of games.

E39e.jpeg

wfjp3D.jpeg

Same bookshelf from 2 different angles. On the very top is a small box with NES games and 2 brand new copies of "The Last Story". (from the $8 Amazon thing, had another and sold it for $65 last week). Top shelf contains my 3DO system with Sega Master, Genesis, 32X, and CD games. Next row has Saturn, Dreamcast, and PSX games. And the row below has a PSX and my original launch Wii.

opobv.jpeg

Few more bookshelves for my other games. Yes yes, I really suck at putting together bookshelves (I put the back peace on backwards and other things. lol).
On top is a Xenoblade art piece, The Last Story container, and PAL Pandora's Tower Limited Edition set. Pier Solar Sega Genesis game and Famicom system.
Top shelf on left are my SNES games (includes Earthbound). Right side are my GC, Xbox and PS2 games.
Middle shelf is for my N64 games
Bottom left are my Atari 2600 games.

jyvrw.jpeg

My older HDTV for some of my other systems. You will see another Wii on the right with an Atari 2600 next to it. Container on the left holds all the system's controllers for this area.

TSi.jpeg

In that drawer I have the following systems: Halo Xbox, N64, Sega Saturn, Sega Genesis, 32X and CD.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My Home Theater Gaming Setup. SteamBox HTPC, Wii U, PS3, 360, Optoma HD20, 120" Screen.

I like how much stuff is crammed into this setup without looking at all cramped. Thumbs up.

Anyway, my setup's kinda in a transitional period where I moving shit out of my apartment since I'm finishing my JD in May. Maybe I'll snap a picture of the TV/sound stuff at least, but no collection pics of the imports and other fun stuff until next year.

brerwolfe

My now condensed "retro" setup. The Wii handles all of the 8/16-bit stuff.

NJZEe.jpg

I keep laughing with everyone asking about this "TV," I've always heard and referred to them simply as monitors. They used to be the standard in television production, used mostly in field production but you can still find them rack-mounted in TV studios and mobile trucks.

Do you work in television, Johnny?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm almost positive that the Wii is outputting a 240p signal with the 8/16-bit stuff.
I'm fairly certain it does not.

The entire Wii UI system wouldn't even function properly at 320x240 (or lower). The fact that you can bring up the GUI suggests that it runs at 480i/480p (depending on monitor/cables being used) rather than 240p. In this case, it would be 480i.

Layd Dly

^^^^^^^^

Okay, I need to know where you get your shelves at and how many dvds/blu-rays it can hold? Set-up looks great btw

They are Atlantic Oskar's, got all 3 from target they are like ~$90 each, however the one middle unit was only recently purchased where the two outside shelves ive had for 4-5 years (when they were a target brand item instead of atlantic). So its slightly darker in color and the shelves arent as deep. But no one would ever really notice it.

I like how much stuff is crammed into this setup without looking at all cramped. Thumbs up.

Anyway, my setup's kinda in a transitional period where I moving shit out of my apartment since I'm finishing my JD in May. Maybe I'll snap a picture of the TV/sound stuff at least, but no collection pics of the imports and other fun stuff until next year.

Thanks, It is actually a good sized room. But my layout is limited by the windows and half wall over my stair well. I have more stuff on the other side but its in a transitional period while i re-do my office.

I love the layout of your stuff.

Thanks it was a bit ugly awhile ago until i added a 3rd shelf. I had many piles of games and movies. I kept forgetting I even bought some of them lol.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think it looks great. What about some ambiance lighting?

thx man, and that coming from someone with an awesome flat as yours! :D

I want one of these big fat lamps that goes from behind the sofa right over it... and some paintings on the wall would be nice... oh well...

Love that sofa.

I love it too, it's also electric so you can extend it quite a bit - it's from a german company called "Musterring".

JEKKI

whoooo~!!! I have a day off from work today and decided to be productive!!

I tried to get my games n stuff off the floor, I had some empty boxes, took some scissiors, cut the flaps off, and voila!!!

zlclOSw.jpg

the good news is, my games are all organized and ez to access now!!! the bad news is;

LKrwsVl.jpg

now I needa figure out how to handle this stack >_<

also finally hooked my setup up after 3 months since moving in here:

rZhKqTm.jpg

finally ready to play some games in 2013!!

Allforce

8316891214_7cd23a5bde_b.jpg

8315830587_caa40af849_b.jpg

8316895194_6dcf64892b_b.jpg

DUDE.

This will sound weird but your pics were literally the inspiration for me to go full bore on a projector/screen setup in 2011. I saw your gallery from start to finish on blu-ray.com forums shortly after I signed up there and thought "ok, this is slick and completely possible, I'm gonna jump in" and proceeded to plan out everything and research and eventually actually do it.

I still have your pics saved on my PC in a folder called "Home Theater Inspirations and Ideas" :D Such a clean and efficient setup while still looking like a fun room to hang out in.

Thanks man!

Well I'm at the maximum for my space, even people tell me that I have too many speakers already...

Here is my receiver : http://store.sony.com/p/STR-DA5800ES/en/p/STRDA5800ES

What movies/music/games take advantage of 9.2 sound? A casual glance turned up basically nothing. Is this something that is in the pipeline that I am unaware of? I know 4k is on the way, but I haven't heard anything about 9.2 audio becoming a standard.

This whole thread is crazy inspiration for me. By the year's end, I will be the owner of a house, and this is giving me a lot of ideas.

Layd Dly

DUDE.

This will sound weird but your pics were literally the inspiration for me to go full bore on a projector/screen setup in 2011. I saw your gallery from start to finish on blu-ray.com forums shortly after I signed up there and thought "ok, this is slick and completely possible, I'm gonna jump in" and proceeded to plan out everything and research and eventually actually do it.

I still have your pics saved on my PC in a folder called "Home Theater Inspirations and Ideas" :D Such a clean and efficient setup while still looking like a fun room to hang out in.

Thanks man!

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. This was all done on a tight budget as well so I am glad you decided to go all in. These were really my first updated cleaned up photos since those that were on blu-ray.com with a few new additions. I still have a shit load of posters I need to frame and get up. But I prefer to buy games instead lol. Now my dilemma is that I want to upgrade to a 1080P 3D Projector.

PopfulMail

The Commodore monitors are amazing for sure... I've been using one since the NES days and it's still going strong. I'm in the process of acquiring a second one.

JEKKI

That´s a Commodore RGB monitor right? I hear those are awesome for retro gaming, but haven´t come across any.
yyyyup, the 1702.

finding one is the easy part,

trying to figure out how to hook things up to it is the challenge >_<

Yes Boss!

yyyyup, the 1702.

finding one is the easy part,

trying to figure out how to hook things up to it is the challenge >_<

Nice seeing the Mother's bag in there! I miss living in orange county. Used to shop at the Costa Mesa store in the nineties, then the Irvine store a decade ago, most recently the Laguna Woods location...they just kept moving it closer to Laguna and Aliso.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
What movies/music/games take advantage of 9.2 sound? A casual glance turned up basically nothing. Is this something that is in the pipeline that I am unaware of? I know 4k is on the way, but I haven't heard anything about 9.2 audio becoming a standard.

None, basically it's all simulated at this time. I like the feeling though.

Johnny

I keep laughing with everyone asking about this "TV," I've always heard and referred to them simply as monitors. They used to be the standard in television production, used mostly in field production but you can still find them rack-mounted in TV studios and mobile trucks.

Not live/news television, but I did a lot of post-production work back in the day, commercials, corporate videos, stuff like that.

I'm fairly certain it does not.

The entire Wii UI system wouldn't even function properly at 320x240 (or lower). The fact that you can bring up the GUI suggests that it runs at 480i/480p (depending on monitor/cables being used) rather than 240p. In this case, it would be 480i.
The Wii is definitely displaying a 240p signal in-game, though it switches to 480i whenever the system menu is brought up. There's a noticeable changeover with the feed, with NES and SNES games at least.

eso76

i have the exact same monitor in front of me right now.
and yep, i work in television.

Soo, just a quick question even if this isn't the most appropriate thread:
I just thought i might swap my pc monitor with a 40" full hd lcd-led tv i can hang on the wall.
Downsides ?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Here's my current setup:

setup-1_zps0dc6f2e8.jpg

A step down from last year. For now I'm only gaming on the ps3 and it's connected to the monitor via hdmi since I don't have a tv lol.

jbueno

The Wii is definitely displaying a 240p signal in-game, though it switches to 480i whenever the system menu is brought up. There's a noticeable changeover with the feed, with NES and SNES games at least.

Indeed, when displayed on a 15 khz set the Wii VC does output 240p for NES, SNES, NeoGeo and Genesis games, and on select Virtual Arcade (Altered Beast and Space Harrier come to mind) and some PCE titles like Dracula X, haven´t tried other games on the service. As you say it is even more evident when you pull out the menu, it switches to 480i on the fly. Hell those titles won´t display at all on my LCD which hates being fed 240p through component, I get the same result when trying to play PS1 games on PS2 through component out.

Shame Wii´s component out picture quality isn´t the best, but it definitely is 240p for most VC titles. Here´s a pic I took of Virtual Console Fatal Fury 2 running on my SDTV, those are clearly 240p scanlines:

Did you do it all yourself or did you sub contract out?

Sorry I missed this!

I subbed out the framing and subfloor. I did the electrical and lighting. I had a master electrician check my work to make sure that I don't burn my house down. I subbed the plumbing. I also had the tiles installed in the powder room.

I ran all of the speaker/sub wires, and HDMI cables.

I hung the drywall with my father in law and a few friends. There's no way I was doing the mudding and taping, so I subbed that out. We painted and I installed the toilet and vanity again with the help of my father in law.

And finally the trim and carpet were subbed out as well.

eXistor

Yeah, that's gotta be one of the best collections yet! I saw you only started collecting 6 years ago? Very impressive, did you just buy in bulk or what?

Xtincthed

Neo Member
Yeah, that's gotta be one of the best collections yet! I saw you only started collecting 6 years ago? Very impressive, did you just buy in bulk or what?

well sometimes I buy in bulk. But collecting for me, is not about throwing big piles of money at it. It's all in connections, searching, patience and knowledge to find the best items for great prices :)

Are you really a doctor?

in about a year, yeah :)

PureSolidness

Neo Member
Probably. I'm a fucked up guy mentally that is trying to get his life back together, but I'm sure that doesn't show up in pictures. :0)

Man everyone's got their quirks, and with a place like that you're still doing ALOT of things right and can't be THAT fucked up mentally :D

In all serious though, I've seen how inner demons can fuck up anyone no matter if their poor or live the wealthiest lives and I hope everything works out well for you man.

Top Bottom