• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

So I moved home from college to save some money... this is what I ended up with.

I find that old decks make pretty good shelves.
we8E3.jpg

#teamgameinformermousepad

Solutions for a crap ton of cords?

I cut down on my game collection recently. This is all I have for Xbox and PS3, the rest of my GC, DS, Snes, 64, PS1+2, etc. stuff is in boxes in my closet. And if you're wondering what game is on top of Skate. 3... I can't be the only one who flipped my Skyrim box art inside out can I?

Not sure what to get for a 5th poster. Has to be 24x36 and they're really hard to find. (The Gow1 poster is a little to small)

Hopefully when I get out of my house again I can get something better set up, maybe next year's thread.

Ah new year, my favorite thread! Did a few changes since last year.

Old setup from the previous thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33969036&postcount=356

And here's the new setup:

TV setup, PS3 and broken xbox, posters on the wall were gifts from the gf.

Computer Setup...built in February 2012 with tax refund dollars.

Some of the games and blu rays I have. Most games are on Steam

Overall view of everything.

pax217

To demonstrate the setup I plug in Quantum of Solace for the first four minutes (car chase).

Amazing, I use the same exact scene; although I am running a 2.1 setup with Emotiva components, Oppo's latest BDP-105, Tekton M-Lore pair, HSU VTF-1 so it'd be a completely different experience from 7.1... but I love when that sub-machine gun fires for the first time.

Allforce

I finally cleared all the xmas shit out so the room is mostly clean, figured I'd post some shots for the new thread!

New year, mostly the same gear. Epson 8350, 120" screen, 5.2 surround, PS3, 360, there's a Game Boy micro hidden in a couple of these shots, see if you can spot it!

C360_2013-01-04-18-43-49.jpg

Some new prints, my R2 is back in the room. Also you're seeing the lone wall left to really hang anything, so 2013 is going to be a barren year for art purchases.

C360_2013-01-04-18-44-24.jpg

C360_2013-01-04-18-47-06.jpg

C360_2013-01-04-18-46-18.jpg

Some new poster arrangements
C360_2013-01-04-18-44-38.jpg

C360_2013-01-04-18-44-53.jpg

Office off to the side there, new desk from last year. I bought the desk hoping to keep my TV up top on the hutch to game on but that proved to kill my neck after like one night at work, so it now sits on the desk and dwarfs my monitor. Gaming is better this way though.
C360_2013-01-04-18-45-20.jpg

C360_2013-01-04-18-45-34.jpg

Finally found a fucking Red Wings goalie mask! It's a street hockey mask but it's an adult one which are hard to find, especially in mint condition. This is my happiest acquisition of the last year. The Gnome was a gift from my kids for Xmas.

C360_2013-01-04-18-45-55.jpg
2013 goals:
Own more classic films on blu-ray
Buy next-gen XBox console whenever it comes out
Sell most of my games I never play (and a ton of blu-rays I don't need to own anymore)

pax217

I finally cleared all the xmas shit out so the room is mostly clean, figured I'd post some shots for the new thread!

New year, mostly the same gear. Epson 8350, 120" screen, 5.2 surround, PS3, 360, there's a Game Boy micro hidden in a couple of these shots, see if you can spot it!

2013 goals:
Own more classic films on blu-ray
Buy next-gen XBox console whenever it comes out
Sell most of my games I never play (and a ton of blu-rays I don't need to own anymore)

Very cleanly done for how much stuff is in that room.

I sold most of my games and BDs earlier in 2012, and ended up with a lot more by the end of the year... not sure what to do but I definitely don't need all these games and movies.

That said, I tried using Netflix to stream the other night and it was terrible.

Xtincthed

Neo Member
I just finished my retro gaming setup in my new house, with a chair :D
will post a picture soon.. 15 retro consoles hooked up and ready to go!

krae_man

Nice system collection. It looks like you own almost every console ever made?
handheld wise I have a fairly complete collection if you dont count the endless rabbit hole that is chinese knockoffs. Home consoles? I have barely scratched the surface of whats out there.

Impossible to get a decent shot of my gaming room as it's so damn dark in here.

CuYoR.jpg

Yt2Dv.jpg

Z5PUs.jpg

Nothing changed in the last couple of years apart from my wheelstand.

pax217

handheld wise I have a fairly complete collection if you dont count the endless rabbit hole that is chinese knockoffs. Home consoles? I have barely scratched the surface of whats out there.

The funny thing about people owning multiple consoles is that they think they need a 360, PS3, PS4, Genesis, etc.

...when all you really need is one Atari Jaguar.

EVAWINGZERO

Neo Member
Not too much has changed, moved some stuff around.

IMG_20130105_220016_zpsa955a1a7.jpg

This is the work/PC/Stream setup. Same computer I built last year. Just added a AverMedia Capture card for streaming for my website! The CRT is a great way to split my component signal for 360/wii/ everything else and to the capture card.

This is the PC I use for games/streaming. LOVE these monitors! You can also see my new Mech Keyboard and Mixer I use for streaming audio / mics.

IMG_20130105_220040_zpse489c7f6.jpg

This is where the REAL fun happens. Still have both of my Candy Cabs. The Blast City is still running an XBOX 360 for newer stuff. This has a newer Nanao MS29 in it, it's beautiful. The Astro City is full Jamma. I use this for my CPS2 games as well as my Neo Geo MVS gaming needs. Just snagged a nice Vampire Savior CPS2 cart, so I'm super stoked to add it next to my SSF2T game!

IMG_20130105_220100_zpsb2ab6ef8.jpg

Currently, I am down to 2 Pins in the house. a 1979 Stern Dracula, and a World Cup Soccer 94. My Street Fighter 2 Pin has been moved to our arcade shop here in town to get a complete tear down and shopping. It will be super pretty when it's done. The WCS has recently been fully shopped and has a brand new DMD in it. Not really a soccer fan, but this game is SUPER fun!

IMG_20130105_220113_zps76068c28.jpg

Projector Room (PC gaming and Movies) on an Optoma short throw 720p GT750
Denon receiver and Yamaha satellites
Custom sub with seperate Sony amp and cross over

Speakers and sub need a massive upgrade. Next year.

176"

My four year old in the first pic to get an idea of size.

176" diagonal?

JESUS. It looks slick, sir. REAL slick.

Allforce said:
New year, mostly the same gear. Epson 8350, 120" screen, 5.2 surround, PS3, 360,

Same projector I got. 120" screen? And your room is looking super clean.

My shit feels even more janky/thrown-together than it did when I first posted the pictures.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is our London City setup. I have done minor updates, like the inclusion of my mew Alienware X51, but most of it is same as last year in the post Tabris kindly linked . I thought it'd still be fine to post them in this year's thread.

We pretty much did the entire flat from the scratch to fit our needs and style. Our build philosophy was to create a highly functional space with everything non-essential out of sight, so we can fully immerse on whatever we are doing - gaming, reading, working, watching films. We have maximized storage space and integrated a lot of connectivity and lighting. We also wanted to design a space that feels casual enough to be inviting, rather than overly polished.

Most of the pictures are same as last year, however I am saving up for a new TV, I think the space requires 70" or 80". Maybe this year.

Lounge

6952645079_b3be99db86_z.jpg

6806537320_a82db68f06_z.jpg

The lounge is the heart of the flat - connected to dining and kitchen. It's designed to host people, but also to enjoy gaming and movies.

Over the last year it has seen many parties, movie nights, long gaming sessions. I have worked there, slept there - it's my favourite spot.

We wanted to have all wiring integrated in the walls and the ceiling. Given that each console seems to come with a sensor of some sort now, a hatch was built for them too.

The 7.1 surround sound system consists of Genelec speakers used by many movie and gaming sound studios as monitors to master their music - the idea being that this easy I can hear the music as close to the intended mix. For example, Kojima and Platinum use Genelecs as monitors for Metal Gear Rising and Nightwish used them for their latest album, Imaginarium.

Sliding door cabinets house our glassware, printer, chargers and other electronics out of sight - including Guitar Hero guitars, Gran Turismo racing wheels etc.

All electronics are out of sight, controlled by a single Logitech Harmony 800 remote (thanks for the suggestion, Tabris!).

• 7.1 Speakers - 3 x Genelec 8040, 4 x Genelec 8020, 1 x Genelec 7050B sub
• TV - Sony 52X2000 1080P LCD
• AV receiver - Sony 5300ES
• Main gaming and media device - Alienware X51
• Consoles - PS3, Xbox 360, Wii
• Set top boxes - Apple TV 2, BT FreeView (bye Sky!), Time Capsule 1TB
• Remote - Logitech Harmony 800
• BT Infinity 80mbs fiber optic

• Sofa - Togo by Ligne Roset
• Table - Skanno
• AV unit - Sideboard by Bo Concept
• Stool - Woodnotes
• Lamp - Arco by Floss

• Artwork - Africa by Patrick Thomas

Dining

6806545366_021accce91_z.jpg

Our dining space has an up to 10 seater table that doubles up as our joint working desk and a meeting table when needed. The table saw a lot of work last year - my wife wrote her entire PhD on it, and I created several brands on it.

All of our non-design books are out of sight in the wall of cupboards.

• Table - Raft
• Chairs - Catifa by Arper
• Cupboards - Muurame

Bedroom

6806554440_168e06af51_z.jpg

Our bedroom is really simple, with just the essentials - chargers for iPads, phones and more. The wallpaper reminds us of our old home country, Finland.

• Bed - Innovation DK
• Night tables - Bo Concept
• Chair - Barcelona by Knoll
• Wallpaper - Cole & Sons

• Hardware - iPod Touch, iPad, Kindle wifi

Guestroom

6952708283_14338ebc0d_z.jpg

The guest room features an expandable futon sofa, and a sliding door. This allows the room to double up as an extension of our lounge space when there are no quests - just pack up the sofa and slide the door open.

Last year we had about 20 guest visits, so the room proved really handy. It helps the guests not feel bad crashing in, because we literally won't see them, should they decide so. Because of this, our flat has not been empty for a single day.

• Sofa - Innovation DK
• Drawer unit - Muurame
• Sliding door - custom made, vintage floorboards

Study

6952752675_9daf353576_z.jpg

6806647716_d692433c3e_z.jpg

A new study was built into one of the walls, providing a full size working desk with a minimal floorspace footprint. LED strips were integrated for indirect lighting. Design reference books are at immediate reach, which I have never had before, with desk space to place them on. Given they are visually quite pleasant, they are the only books in plain sight in the flat.

The study servers also a more fun purpose, playing those games not available on consoles - World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, Torchlight, hence the speakers.

This corner saw less use last year. We seemed to gravitate to work on the dining table, and the study served mostly as a Spotify/iPhoto station and bills stack.

• Chair - Catifa by Arper
• Computer - MacBook Pro i7, Apple Cinema Monitor, iomega 4TB hard disc for work stuff
• Speakers - Sound Sticks II by Harman Kardon
• Clock - STP

Master bathroom

6806629320_a5f8e3e649_z.jpg

The master bathroom is designed for guest use mainly, allowing for a feature sink and no required storage.

A potential update this year is buying some storage baskets with lids for guests, so that their toiletiers can be neatly hidden away.

Ensuite bathroom

6806618820_c1d2af72b7_z.jpg

The ensuite bathroom, even if tiny, features a luxurious double size walk-in shower, as well as lots of integrated storage for cosmetics so nothing needs to be on display.

Hallway

6952747555_2e531bbc91_z.jpg

• Artwork - Little Scary by Eine
• Artwork - B by House Industries

Kitchen

6806523222_d7745fed91_z.jpg

Like the other rooms, also kitchen was completely redone, with a new breakfast bar, enough sockets for espresso gear, an integrated wine fridge and a induction hob. Black granite was used for worktops and floor. Splashback made from optiwhite glass.

Last year we didn't have much time to cook, so mostly the kitchen was used by my wife for her amazing lattes when we both worked home, or by me to pull out a beer from the fridge or wine from the cooler.

• Hob, Stove and Extractor - Ora-Ïto for Gorenje
• Fridge and dishwasher - Smeg
• Espresso machine - Gaggia Classic
• Grinder - Rancilio Rocky
• Dual temperature wine fridge - Samsung

• Artwork - Toaster from Nelly Duff

Comfy couch PC gaming with next gen power

iQj6g1ZJ6plMV.jpg

iADGgqPAhS9qu.jpg

imTjkd7zac9CM.jpg

This is the only real new addition over last year's post, a Comfy couch gaming PC, the Alienware X51. This console sized box packs 2.56 Teraflop with top power consumption of 180W - by all measures it should stand up pretty well against next gen consoles.

It's truly one of the best gaming purchases I have ever made. Games are cheap in Steam sales, everything is true 1080P and often 60FPS. Now I finally don't need to miss out on things like Dota 2, Diablo, Hotline Miami or Legend of Grimrock.

I have created a thread about it - see here

Details

6806602616_d2bc4d8507_z.jpg

iPod Hi-Fi acts as the sound system for our guest room. Loaner piece of Roman Klonek woodblock printing.

6952674745_16c3ab69dd_z.jpg

Our brand new Nokia Lumia 800s.

6952702791_f63fd7a74c_z.jpg

Guest room door made out of vintage floorboards

6806611124_cde0e51ce3_z.jpg

PS Vita and iPad, my main portable gaming devices, pictured on top of breakfast bar.

6806574500_b6ba9dae16_z.jpg

Wet shaving kit from Mercur, thanks to Wet Shaving GAF for the inspiration.

6952692703_c75f1e9b07_z.jpg

Extra stools for extra guests, by Artek. Customized by Morag Myerscough, bought from a charity show.

6952679935_d31af2ebf5_z.jpg

Genelec reference quality monitors, ceiling mounted for a 7.1 surround setup.

6823293742_b7aebaea0d_z.jpg

Arcade Stick setup for fighting games

Chittagong

Gold Member
What do you think of the Gaggia classic?

It's great - combined with Rancilio Rocky they are the combo most coffee enthusiast sites recomend for people starting to get serious about coffee. You'll have to know what you are doing though (I gave my wife a barista course as a present, she loved it), and you have to maintain it properly. When you do, and have good beans, the coffee is pretty spectacular. Think Blue Bottle Coffee in San Fran.

Our cleaners and guests have been killing our plants, I'm yet to see which ones survive the winter...

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
It's great - combined with Rancilio Rocky they are the combo most coffee enthusiast sites recomend for people starting to get serious about coffee. You'll have to know what you are doing though (I gave my wife a barista course as a present, she loved it), and you have to maintain it properly. When you do, and have good beans, the coffee is pretty spectacular. Think Blue Bottle Coffee in San Fran.

Our cleaners and guests have been killing our plants, I'm yet to see which ones survive the winter...

I was a 'barista' for a few months at a local shop, so I took an interest in higher quality coffee machines. The trouble I have always had was finding grounds/beans I enjoy. That, and some times the steamed milk my machine produces tastes funky.

Also, I haven't lost one plant in those Lechuza planters!

Maximus.

Wow can't believe all the posts bickering about Tabris' apartment. It's his life, he can live how he wants. I love the way his place looks personally.

Edit: wow Chittagong your place is stunning!

Loving that diner table. I went shopping a few days ago and found a similar one that I rally wanted. Seeing this one makes me want it even more.

Kr1355

Neo Member
My comparatively modest set up compared to most here...

Gamingsetup1_zps8268fa00.jpg

... and don't forget the previous gens... switched US launch GC, VGA connected all-region re-shelled DC (I have two more JP machines somewhere too).

Gamingsetup2_zps0997a0a8.jpg

I won't post pics of the DJ set up + vinyl unless anyone asks.

kinggroin

Banned
SuperÑ;45952812 said:
I have the same projector (Optoma GT750) and don't get those deep blacks. Where are you projecting on may i ask?

On the wall using a Behr paint combination that I pulled from AVS forums DIY section. I can PM you the two colors used when I get a chance.

Past that, every other wall is matte navy blue to minimize reflection (ceiling as well). My wife did most of the work (she's an OK girl).

The next step is velvet acoustic panels to reduce echoe a smidge and further eliminate light spill.

How far away do you sit from the image? Playing there has to be intense.

10ft.

Its a bit much, but I was really of the mindset, go big or go home, when I made it.

I'm that guy that sits in the third or fourth in the theater :)

Still waiting/hoping someone releases a 1080p short throw.

NinjaBoiX

Some of the setups in here are amazing.

Gaming_setup_1.jpg

20130106_135612.jpg

Nothing too flash, Tosh 32" LCD, 360 slim, PS3 slim, Sony BD player, Cambridge Audio 540R amp, Tannoy 5.1 speakers, Seagate 2TB ext HDD and Logitech Bluetooth keyboard.

On the right is a Nexus 7, PS Vita and PS Go.

And an alarm clock.

Kammie

Nothing new to get excited about...
This place is incredible. Feels homely and relaxing, but very modern. I love the hardwood floor and wall colors.

Question... are those lamps in the white containers by the TV? If so, do you use them while viewing? How do they look when on?

Deku Tree

Moving gaming setup from living room to basement Den.

Panasonic P50UT50
Denon AVR-1613
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1

Looks nice. Sounds nice. Will set up gaming gear after plasma break in period.

I just want to point out, and this should be the priority for everyone that's not married, the #1 point of my interior design is to get laid. Clean, modern and simple does that. Cozy nerd caves don't.
wtf get lost man. let people decorate how they want. the number one point of my interior design is to make me comfortable and make me smile.

my huge fukn tv and eames chair doesnt get me laid, my personality gets me laid.

yes I could paint my house white and not have anything around, but what is the point? id rather be happy and comfortable than live in a sterile environment just on the odd chance that superficial women might want to use me more.

Quikies83

Some of the setups in here are amazing.

Gaming_setup_1.jpg

Nothing too flash, Tosh 32" LCD, 360 slim, PS3 slim, Sony BD player, Cambridge Audio 540R amp, Tannoy 5.1 speakers, Seagate 2TB ext HDD and Logitech Bluetooth keyboard.

On the right is a Nexus 7, PS Vita and PS Go.

And an alarm clock.

Link to your wallpaper?

Here's what I have in the living room right now, need to do some upgrades and get a new media cabinet as I am out of room lol

PQ of Panasonic (not a great pic but you get the idea)

SAM_0961.jpg

SAM_0938.jpg

SAM_0934.jpg

PQ of Kuro in Office (horrible picture)

SAM_0848.jpg

Some of my collection (Past gen and DVD's are boxed, also large collectors editions arent shown, same with arcade sticks etc)

AC4D78E2-5C93-4A35-A800-E10B9F93D1E2-15975-0000178B67C021A0.jpg

Lots of unopened games and blu rays stacking games like that now because shelf's are full

DF68774A-B300-408D-89B7-4A339E536854-15975-0000178B6F8BB22F.jpg

94B89E68-F8F3-4A85-816C-7EB146F7E75D-15975-0000178B7413B117.jpg

Panasonic 65VT30, 360 Elite slim, PS3 1TB HDD, Wii U Deluxe, Oppo BDP 93, Pioneer Elite SC-35, Uverse, Netgear AV 500, Monster Power Center HDP2500, 7.1 Definitive Technology Mythos Ones x2 Fronts, x2 Rears, Mythos Eight Center, Mythos Gem XL Surround Back, REL T7

Office has changed some but not that much, I did put the speakers on my Kuro though

6b8350f5.jpg

KRP-500M, Google TV, 360 Elite

Also have a 58 Panasonic VT in the bedroom but only bluray player in there

Hey MTommy didn't know you were here lol
---
Panasonic 65VT30, Pioneer Elite SC-35, Definitive Technology Mythos Ones fronts/surrounds, Eight center channel, Gem XL rears / Pioneer 500M w/ISF, Oppo BDP93

Elginer

6k75P.jpg

wM7kO.jpg

cLWcL.jpg

5cldd.jpg

Nothing too crazy. Humble setup. Looking to upgrade my TV this year from a 40 to maybe a 50 inch Samsung.

Happy for the most part with it. Wish I had the space for some of the fancier setups out there.

joe1138

Love these threads, really gives me a lot of inspiration for my new gaming/movie room.

I really like your layout, thuway. It seems like a pretty good compromise between a daytime viewing setup and nighttime viewing for rooms where some ambient light still manages to sneak in.

Top Bottom