• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2014 Edition

vvise

Finally finished my tiny game room (6 m2 ~ 60sq.ft). I'm not a fan of clutter and wires everywhere, so I spent some extra time tidying up and running cables in trays. I dredd the day that I have to open it all up again to fit a PS4 or Xbox One...

image_3.jpeg

dam i really like this room

Peltz

xW0Rj16.jpg

KX-14CP1, SCPH-5500 and DTL-H30101 E.

Despite installing a Mayumi V4 chip, Japanese PlayStation don't play imports - so I can't play my US titles on this machine. Probably gonna get a 5501 to remedy this.

You have the prettiest RGB monitor I've ever seen. Love the chasis. It doesn't look gangly and studio-like as do most hq RGB monitors (like mine does). Yours looks like it belongs in a home.

I want to come over and organize your wiring lol because that would drive me crazy O_O. You should look at IKEA if you have one around you. They have some good TV furniture for cheap that might be able to hold all your consoles.

Mounting your TV and soundbar would be another option to save space. You can get TV mounts for pretty cheap these days.

Edit: On second glance, you have plenty of space on the bottom row being occupied by the power cords. A little wiring organizing would fix that and free up that space to put more consoles.

Sorry about that, lol. I'm sort of an immaculate person but since it's not the shelf I want so I'm kinda just throwing in whatever I want to play without caring about aesthetics.

Man, you know what though...? If I mounted the HDTV then I'd have space on the top... I didn't think of that. Maybe I can grab the same shelf from Ikea (a 1x1 one though) and fit it where my xbone is. Thanks for the advice mate.

tariniel

I've been living alone in my first apartment for about a year now and I still haven't bought furniture or a TV or anything. I'm honestly kind of afraid of buying furniture because I don't know what to look for and not get ripped off. There's a lot of local places but the prices never feel right to me. Is there such a thing as a "black friday" for furniture sales? Should I just buy a couch on Ikea or what?

My apartment literally just has a bed, dresser, and my desk with PC stuff on it. I don't have a TV or anything else. I'm less afraid about buying TV's though, I know what to look for there...

sfedai0

Banned
I've been living alone in my first apartment for about a year now and I still haven't bought furniture or a TV or anything. I'm honestly kind of afraid of buying furniture because I don't know what to look for and not get ripped off. There's a lot of local places but the prices never feel right to me. Is there such a thing as a "black friday" for furniture sales? Should I just buy a couch on Ikea or what?

My apartment literally just has a bed, dresser, and my desk with PC stuff on it. I don't have a TV or anything else. I'm less afraid about buying TV's though, I know what to look for there...

Ikea. Chuck it when you move.

zbarron

I moved and turned the living room into more of a theater room. It's also a gaming room. I have my full tower PC behind the back row of seats.

Quick specs:
Full Tower PC with i7 4770K, GTX 670 and 8GB RAM
Polk 5.1 system with 4x Monitor 60's, 1x CS1 and a Dayton Audio 1200 subwoofer.
Viewsonic PJD7820HD Projector
Elitescreens 120" Manual pulldown screen
Sour Patch Kids Watermelon, Sour Punch, Sno Caps, Whoppers and Mini Charleston Chews

15032907603_1c6a2d64f2_b.jpg

15629340386_b93bea39bd_b.jpg

15653882102_750ce793e2_b.jpg

15629349356_cccf4c70c3_b.jpg

15629347146_d0afc5ea57_b.jpg

15032913663_5d99c66828_b.jpg

15032927803_b83325a7e9_b.jpg

zbarron

Cool setup....did you literally get those seats out of an old theater?

Second hand but yes. The seats, rug, posters, and light came out of a local Regal that closed. I found it on craigslist for $100 a row. Not bad considering I didn't find legit theater seats for less than $400 a seat online. I have my PC set up to go to XBMC with a touch of a button on the PS3 Bluetooth remote. There is an add-on titled Cinema Experience where I set it up to do the movie trivia followed by 3 live 1080p trailers streamed from Apple and then this video before the movie starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6gon66jF8s

It's a lot of fun in a purist kind of way. The seats had to be nailed to the floor and since I'm not sure if the landlord would smile on that there is two planks of plywood under the carpet that the seats and drilled into. It was a very simple project.

cerulily

I am prog going to feel a bit outmatched, but.

I just got a few new shelves from in my neighborhood and have made a pretty comfy space in my basement apartment.

q1aaExO.jpg

New shelves (old stand on the left) i still am not 100% sure how i will organize it further.

zP9lSQY.jpg

New shelf for my games on the side of the couch. Finally have one shelf big enough for most of my games.

6QHa00f.jpg

Pardon my apron hanging up. Another angle on the whole general setup.

sublimit

Banned
Love the seups from all of you guys.From the simpler ones to the most high end ones this thread confirms that GAF has really nice taste. :)

Frame those posters for the win ^

and I like the apron. I have some cute ones hanging up too, although they are in the kitchen. it's kinda pinup :p

cerulily

Frame those posters for the win ^

and I like the apron. I have some cute ones hanging up too, although they are in the kitchen. it's kinda pinup :p

i really want to, but i am a broke student. All my new furniture is salvaged from around the neighborhood. The zelda poster, i can easilly frame from a wal-mart frame. But i have some really odd sized posters that need frames.

And yes, i love my cherry apron. I have a few more but that one is my fav, which is why it's hanging by my oven :p

pje122

I would not recommend Ikea. I would recommend Craigslist, however, assuming you have the means to transport things that are larger. If you pay full price at retail for furniture there is a good chance you will be overpaying.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There's nothing wrong with Ikea. Good place to start. And unlike buying from random people on Craig's List, if something goes wrong you're covered. I furnished an entire 2 bedroom apartment for two grand a few years ago with furniture from them. Everything we bought has held up, two moves later.

What I really want to know is how tariniel has lived in an apartment for a year with little to no furniture! o_O

sikkinixx

Craigslist, particularly the "Free" section. People throw away crazy shit and in most cases just need a cleaning or a fresh coat of paint.

My wife and I went the full Ikea route when we first got a place and really it cost about the same as finding decent used furniture online which is what we are doing right now. Way more personality in the older stuff and some pieces are already 50-60 years old so they'll be around longer than we will.

Ikea is awesome for accent stuff, plates/cups/pots or their solid wood furniture. But particle board stuff only makes it one or two moves before you turf it.

^

quick edit: in contrast to above ;p

ifearV2

Neo Member
So for years ive refreshed these pages and taken inspiration from all you guys.. here is my first post ever, and finally my own setup!;

The xbox one is mirrored into both the samsung (which i use once a week really) and the monitor (BenQ RL2455HM)
0mINHh0l.jpg

kVxvnLgl.jpg

360 games and a movie or two, but nothing really special.
QbdtxdMl.jpg

360 and a really old but still ok 40'' Samsung LCD.
5tj9ZbCl.jpg

My pride and joy, which i built roughly 3 months ago.
Asus Z97-Pro Motherboard
i7 4790k
3GB GTX 780 SC
16GB Corsair Vengance @ 1866Mhz
A pair of Seagate 1tb drives + 120gb 840 Evo SSD
i9s5pmNl.jpg

3pGFoaQl.jpg

Just to clarify,
Everything seems "cramped" together because of a new roommate that just moved in 3 weeks ago... in a 1br Apartment... so yea..
Anyway, it's all temporary, would of included living room pics too but no one really wants to see that..
Thanks again for looking!

a.wd

I don't believe I've shared any pictures of my retro set up in here recently so I figured I'd give you guys a quick shot of it.

This was actually put together fairly recently. I had gotten into the CRT Retro gaming thread that is floating around in here and happened to find a small 8 inch JVC studio monitor and it got me hooked so I looked around and found this 14" Olympus OEV143 monitor which is actually just a Sony PVM rebranded. Currently, the SNES, Genesis, N64, and Saturn are hooked up via RGB, I did RGB mod the N64 for this specifically. The PS2 is hooked up via component and anything else I may swap in has to go via Composite.

If you've never experience some of these older games and even PS2 on a good CRT monitor via RGB/Component you are really missing out.

On top of that, sound is stereo, driven by an old Phillips Receiver I picked up a while back.

Heres a few close-ups of games to give a quick idea of the image quality this can put out.

Its probably weird, but I find those old amps especially with an EQ meter as sexy as fuck?

Exquisik

My Fanboi Sony love affair setup

TV: KDL65W850A
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR705
PS4 + PS3 FAT (60Gb) + PS3 Super Slim
Speakers: Harmon Kardon HKTS 18 (3.0) - no sub in apartments ever! i like my neighbors to much :)

15532472522_cb956dcfa3_o.jpg

Really like the stand. Any chance of sharing where you got it from?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I moved to a new apartment a couple months ago and started working on my game setup not long thereafter. It's still not quite as streamlined as I want it to be, but I'm pretty content with it for now. Behold my shitty camera pics.

cabinet.jpg
systems1.jpg

Ikea entertainment center. The inner doors slide to the side; the outer trays pull outward. The heaviest consoles or those requiring the most vertical clearance occupy the bottom row. From top to bottom:

Xbox 360 - model S, connected via HDMI
Wii U - launch deluxe model, connected via HDMI
XRGB-3 - the main processor and hub for most of the really old systems
Wii - connected via component / D-terminal, mostly just a homebrew box at this point
Playstation 2 - slim model, connected via component / D-terminal
Nintendo 64 - modded for and connected via RGB
Super Nintendo - model 2, modded for and connected via RGB
NES - top-loading model, modded for and connected via RGB
Gamecube - model 1 w/ Game Boy Player, connected via D-terminal
Genesis+CD - model 1 VA6 w/ region mods, connected via RGB
Saturn - model 2, connected via RGB
Dreamcast - revision 1, connected via VGA

The TV is a little reflective, but not quite as much as suggested in these snapshots.

systems2.jpg
systems3.jpg

Most of the wires are routed through the back. Since I lack an RGB switch, though, I have to connect and swap the RGB cables from the front. They're easy enough to hide away when not in use.

The XRGB-3 itself handles all 240p/480i sources and outputs a 480p VGA signal. It has the capability to scale up to 1080p, but I never really use that mode because it adds some lag and has some compatibility problems with the rest of my setup.

nesrgb.jpg
nesrgb2.jpg

The top-loader NES has an RGB card installed inside and an SNES-style AV port installed on the back, making it compatible with standard SNES video cables (composite video, S-video, and RGB). No more crappy RF video output; no more inconvenient front-loader 72-pin connectors or lockout chips to fight with. There's also a palette toggle switch, but I tend to stick with the standard color scheme most of the time.

The SNES and N64 also have RGB mods.

vgaconverter.jpg
componentswitch.jpg

Since my TV has no VGA input, the XRGB-3 (or Dreamcast) is routed through this VGA-to-component converter. It only changes the color space from RGBHV to YPbPr. No scaling, no unnecessary processing. This keeps the lag low.

The component switch handles 4 sources: XRGB-3 / DC, PS2, GCN, and Wii. I have official component cables and official D-terminal cables for all of my systems (when applicable), except for the Gamecube, in which case I only have a D-terminal cable. The component cables get connected directly to this component switch, while the D-terminal cables get connected to the back of the XRGB-3. One of these cables is connected to the back of its respective console, with the other cable resting behind the console and able to be swapped out with minimal fuss. For 240p/480i games, I use the XRGB-3 via D-terminal. For 480p games, I use component and circumvent the XRGB-3 altogether.

cables1.jpg
cables2.jpg

A glance at the back of the TV. 4 HDMI inputs but only 1 component input, necessitating the switch. You can see the D-terminal to component adapter I use to connect the GCN.

antenna.jpg
tv1.jpg

Amplified TV antenna, because fuck paying for cable TV in 2014.

The TV itself is a 2014 Sony Bravia (65-inch 950B model), which I purchased a little over a month ago and is actually my first HDTV ever. I am such a snob about input lag that I consider virtually all HDTVs to be garbage for gaming purposes. Video gaming is an interactive medium, and responsiveness is key, especially for the types of games that I tend to play most. You can argue about black levels or contrast or viewing angles or burn-in or whatever else, but to me, nothing sucks me out of a game or frustrates me more than the feeling that I'm not in control of my actions. And only in the past year and a half have I finally found a line of HDTVs that I think are satisfactory on that front. I even bought one of those Leo Bodnar lag testers to ensure peace of mind on this (and for other semi-professional purposes in my other endeavors):

lag_sony_kdl65w950b_hdmi_1080p_backlight05.png
lag_dell_e773c_vga_1080p_hdfury2_xcapture1.png

About 8 to 9 ms slower than a CRT. I think I'm OK with this.

tv2.jpg
tv3.jpg

Check out all of this Smart TV junk that I'm never going to use.

tvgear.jpg

The 3D glasses might stay in their packaging forever.

controllers1.jpg
controllers2.jpg

The trays are arranged to correspond to the inner shelves on the opposite side of the entertainment center. The middle-left tray holds controllers and peripherals for the middle-right shelf of consoles, in this case NES and SNES. This allows access to controllers and the system at the same time without any doors getting in the way.

desk1.jpg
router.jpg

My main computer desk sits to the left of the TV, close enough to hook up the HDMI-out from my laptops with ease or set-up some capture equipment without having to move everything around too much. My personal laptop is a 3+ year old Dell Vostro that's kind of falling apart physically at this point from how much travel and use that it gets. The external HDD on the desk houses a 5.5 TB RAID-0 array that's fast enough to record uncompressed 1080p60 footage on the fly.

Tucked away to the side is a WRT54G router. Absolutely ancient, yeah, but it still works like a charm, and wireless G isn't much of a bottleneck for my needs. The PCs, TV, and Xbox 360 are all connected by wire, and I have a Wii LAN adapter if I ever need to use it. Maybe when fiber becomes a reality in the Atlanta metro, I'll finally box this thing up and replace it.

desk2.jpg

The other desk in the room. The boxes all contain various equipment for my tournament streams: capture cards, webcams, audio mixers, headsets, room mics, HDMI splitters, VGA splitters, component splitters, countless cables and adapters, a mobile jetpack, etc. There are also some tripods and lighting kits in the closet. It'd take a whole other post just to show that complete setup.

The XGA CRT monitor in the corner isn't hooked up at the moment, but I'll never throw it out unless it breaks, as it still has the best picture of any display I've ever used. The colors and contrast are still a huge step up from any flat panel I've used, including my current main set, and this monitor is still free from defects and damage so far. I bought it new in the early 2000s and held onto it when I realized that the LCDs of the time left an awful lot to be desired, to put it nicely. Since the XRGB-3 has lag-free 480p VGA output, that makes it a perfect companion for these typical CRT PC monitors:

Just wonderful.

A PVM would be nice, but since I'm not too picky about accurate scanlines, I doubt that even that would be much of an improvement for me.

closet1.jpg
closet2.jpg

Some boxes in the living room closet. Visible in this shot are my LCD monitor (primarily for fighting game tournaments), arcade stick box, lots of console boxes with most of the packaging still included, and a lot of the boxes for other stuff discussed above. Not visible are two Dreamcast keyboards. You know, for the occasional Typing of the Dead tournament.

The Dell monitor box on the floor has like a dozen Saturn controllers in it. For Saturn Bomberman tournaments.

bookshelf.jpg

Despite all the money I've sunk into all of that hardware, my actual game collection is pretty modest right now. I offloaded a lot of stuff when I moved, but it's nice to have a mostly clear backlog. Makes me want to get back into trying new games out.

What I really want to know is how tariniel has lived in an apartment for a year with little to no furniture! o_O
In my prior apartment, most of my "furniture" consisted of stacks of empty Amazon.com boxes.

>_>

Ikea entertainment center. The inner doors slide to the side; the outer trays pull outward. The heaviest consoles or those requiring the most vertical clearance occupy the bottom row. From top to bottom:

Xbox 360 - model S, connected via HDMI
Wii U - launch deluxe model, connected via HDMI
XRGB-3 - the main processor and hub for most of the really old systems
Wii - connected via component / D-terminal, mostly just a homebrew box at this point
Playstation 2 - slim model, connected via component / D-terminal
Nintendo 64 - modded for and connected via RGB
Super Nintendo - model 2, modded for and connected via RGB
NES - top-loading model, modded for and connected via RGB
Gamecube - model 1 w/ Game Boy Player, connected via D-terminal
Genesis+CD - model 1 VA6 w/ region mods, connected via RGB
Saturn - model 2, connected via RGB
Dreamcast - revision 1, connected via VGA

>_>

hey dude, what IKEA piece is that??

I'm probably going to be posting my setup after this weekend because of our housewarming party Saturday. How would I put pictures within the post from my onedrive (if possible) and if not, what is the best free solution without needing to sign up for something? Thanks in advance guys/gals, hoping you like what I have to show ;)

Sixfortyfive

hey dude, what IKEA piece is that??
The main body is basically like two of these connected together and mirrored, although I think the part I used was a bit taller. I used the included shelves on the inner half and picked up trays like these for the outer half. I did a lot of mixing and matching instead of buying the suggested combinations, so I couldn't tell you the actual part numbers. By default, the unit I bought came with hinged doors; I had to buy the sliding rails separate.

Sixfortyfive

I've been looking for new shelving for my games since I'm starting to run out of room and this looks nice, do you think you could tell me what it is and where you got it from?
It was probably this. I have extra shelves that I'm not going to put in until I need them and know how far I need to space them. You can also get glass shelves for this one instead of colored wood shelves.

tariniel

Hah, well, it's easy! This is my first apartment after I moved out of my mom's place. All I had there was a bed, dresser, and desk for my room. I moved into the apartment and just... never bought more, other than that.

But rest assured, I recently bought a couch and some other stuff, as well as a TV. Maybe I'll post some before/after pics when it's all set up this weekend.

Enron

Banned
I find myself tempted to buy more and more ikea stuff. Everytime I go I find something attractive that is either made of solid wood or constructed a lot nicer than the typical ikea piece. There are many pieces there that are just as good as anything you can find in a west elm or crate and barrel for half the cost, but i find myself resisting the urge to actually purchase more because I dont want my place to look like an ikea catalog.

For instance, i was at ikea this Sunday and it took every fiber of my being to not walk out of there with a couple of these.

ekenaset-chair__0252057_PE390835_S4.JPG

Look at this thing! Solid wood frame, was comfortable, looks fantastic, only 199! But if I did buy it....it would be ikea pieces #4 and #5 in my living room :/

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I find myself tempted to buy more and more ikea stuff. Everytime I go I find something attractive that is either made of solid wood or constructed a lot nicer than the typical ikea piece. There are many pieces there that are just as good as anything you can find in a west elm or crate and barrel for half the cost, but i find myself resisting the urge to actually purchase more because I dont want my place to look like an ikea catalog.

For instance, i was at ikea this Sunday and it took every fiber of my being to not walk out of there with a couple of these.

ekenaset-chair__0252057_PE390835_S4.JPG

Look at this thing! Solid wood frame, was comfortable, looks fantastic, only 199! But if I did buy it....it would be ikea pieces #4 and #5 in my living room :/

We have a new Ikea store here in Kansas City and I have to say I love a lot of their offerings.

Melchiah

My Fanboi Sony love affair setup

TV: KDL65W850A
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR705
PS4 + PS3 FAT (60Gb) + PS3 Super Slim
Speakers: Harmon Kardon HKTS 18 (3.0) - no sub in apartments ever! i like my neighbors to much :)

15532472522_cb956dcfa3_o.jpg

That's an enviable setup, particularly the TV.

Slightly updated pictures. Oppo has been relegated to the floor to make way for the Xbone.

fEXj2Ip.jpg

The white consoles look good on that white shelf.

entremet

It was probably this. I have extra shelves that I'm not going to put in until I need them and know how far I need to space them. You can also get glass shelves for this one instead of colored wood shelves.

Nice set up. I would've thought the RGB king would have a CRT for his main setup ;)

Top Bottom