• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida responds to PS4 gameplay capture rumor

KoopaTheCasual

This has nothing to do with youtube

It's this:

Basically no third party capturing. Has zero to do with youtube/share button/PS4 built in features

Knew the Youtube thing is bogus, but this actually could be troublesome for professional LPers who want to use their own customizable equipment. From the sounds of Shu's tweet, it seems that the policy of third party capture isn't finalized. I wonder what they'll do at this point in the game.

LiK

Youtube has been confirmed multiple times to work via Share button. It's just Machinima spreading around false info. "No youtube uploads!" is a lot more controversial than "HDCP may be enabled on PS4, no capturing." Sad part is, they all know exactly what HDCP is.

The video is just a bunch of misinformation.

The video also states you can't use the share button to upload to youtube....

well, this video was what had been spreading from what i've read. i did say it's a rumor in OP.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I see, thanks. An XB1 will not have this?
We... don't know yet, do we? No, I don't think we do.
Personally I doubt it.
But like I said, HDCP is but a minor nuisance.
6IvyEx8.jpg
I can still record you!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I still don't understand, aren't there hundreds of PS3 games playthroughs on Youtube?

You can either strip the protection or capture via component. Since there's no component out on PS4, you would have to capture HDMI, which may have copy protection. We don't know.

I've already found a work-around to PS3's HDCP with a HDMI splitter I bought on Amazon. Now I can record via HDMI on my Elgato Game Capture HD with no problems.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah it can't be the youtube stuff. Cerney mentioned uploading saved video to youtube, and PS3 can even do it. PS3 can edit video it recorded, and send to youtube, ps3 can save recorded video to the HDD, then transfer to the PC/external hdd/flash card. There's no way PS4, a system built around stuff PS3 can only do a fraction of, is gimped compared to PS3 in this regard. That would pretty weird, and if it's true they better change it quick. This is likely the HDPwhatever thing.

Frolow

Banned
Since people seem confused: This has nothing to do with the share feature.
HDCP encryption affects external capture, like with a capture card. Gaming websites and Gaming Youtube channels record gameplay externally so they can edit the footage later. There are ways to get around the HDCP encryption, but they almost always involve the purchase of a splitter, which is completely unnecessary. The PS3 allowed the use of Component, which is what most people used to get around the HDCP for recording off of the PS3. However, since the PS4 only supports HDMI, a splitter will be mandatory.

All of this would be moot if Sony simply disabled the HDCP encryption for games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So whats the truth of the matter with YouTube then?

The Machimania vid explicitly states that you cannot upload to YouTube, even with the share button, and that even though Mark Cerny said you can, he was wrong, because they have confirmation.

They are lying then I assume by the responses in this thread?

Cels

OP should delete the sixthaxis link, because it has nothing to do with HDCP capture, and talks about the full-of-shit inside gaming video claiming that you can't share on PS4 to youtube.

See prior thread here.

The real issue is HDCP preventing you from recording gameplay without stripping the HDCP, which is illegal to do.

alr1ght

There's also this, from Hauppage (they make capture cards)
https://www.facebook.com/hauppauge.co.uk/posts/531267486931428

qQe65YA.png

The Machimania vid explicitly states that you cannot upload to YouTube, even with the share button, and that even though Mark Cerny said you can, he was wrong, because they have confirmation.

They knew it would cause more outcry. I've heard they tried to contact Sony about HDCP and had not received an answer, so they made this video.

androvsky

It's possible Sony had a deal with Youtube for livestreaming but it's since fallen through for whatever reason. Given the way Youtube has been handling gaming videos lately, it's not surprising.

LiK

OP should delete the sixthaxis link, because it has nothing to do with HDCP capture, and talks about the full-of-shit inside gaming video claiming that you can't share on PS4 to youtube.

See prior thread here.

The real issue is HDCP preventing you from recording gameplay without stripping the HDCP, which is illegal to do.

wish granted

KoopaTheCasual

Consensus is that yes, Machinima is full of it. Share most certainly works to Youtube. I believe they even said so at the reveal? However, Shu is responding to the rumor that capture without the share function might not be possible. This mainly effects gaming sites and professional LPers.

Dragon

Banned

They are not only lying, they are dumb. I wouldn't trust them about this stuff because some of their other information was just plain wrong. Doesn't make for a credible source.

JohngPR

This has nothing to do with youtube

It's this:

Basically no third party capturing. Has zero to do with youtube/share button/PS4 built in features

Glad that the Youtube thing is likely not a problem. The third party capture thing while it sucks, is a non-issue for me.

I want as few restrictions as possible.

Obviously turn it off for Netflix and blu-ray playing but there's no reason it should be limited at all for games.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Does that mean my streaming of Metal Gear Rising on Revengeance mode was illegal? >:
Compromising the protection chain is illegal (under DMCA), using a third-party device or tool to capture the feed after it has already left the protected chain should not be, as it is pretty much equivalent to pointing your camera at the screen.

Skilletor

Sony has been so open with answers, it definitely makes me think that something is up with this since they're not coming straight out and saying it.

alr1ght

Glad that the Youtube thing is likely not a problem. The third party capture thing while it sucks, is a non-issue for me.

Yeah, youtube uploading via Share button will be utilized by way more people than external capture. It's still dumb as hell to copy protect game content. It's easily worked around, but only a hassle for legit users.

Orayn

The Facebook post from Hauppage is a good sign, hopefully it remains that way for the final retail version.

people can use the share button to upload vids on youtube, etc.

the concern of the minority is that they will not be able to capture direct-feed footage of gameplay on their own, because of hdcp. now, obviously gaming media will gain access to debug units which will enable them to capture footage on their own (or in other forms) hence no one is complaining about capturing footage.

but that minority are peeps like machinima, who most likely won't have debug units like ign. machinima contracts and makes money off of let's players so they are upset. problem with this is, their business model is entirely dependent upon the hardware manufacturer, and the hardware manufacturer does not owe nor do they have to cater to machinima or other peeps who do let's plays.

add the fact that there is a share button that lets people broadcast and upload videos on their own, which means doing a let's play does not require sophisticated equipment anymore and basically a potential audience of 80+ million people can do it with a press of a button.

case-in-point, people who do let's plays, who pay people who do let's plays, or people who make video game commentaries/revies on their own without a debug unit will find their expensive investment from last-gen to be useless this gen, hence they are spreading misinformation about the system.

Theecliff

Banned
Youtube has been confirmed multiple times to work via Share button. It's just Machinima spreading around false info. "No youtube uploads!" is a lot more controversial than "HDCP may be enabled on PS4, no capturing." Sad part is, they all know exactly what HDCP is.

The video is just a bunch of misinformation.
I'm convinced that Machinima just makes up shit when they get bored, this isn't the first stupid rumour they've started about next generation recently.

Skilletor

add the fact that there is a share button that lets people broadcast and upload videos on their own, which means doing a let's play does not require sophisticated equipment anymore and basically a potential audience of 80+ million people can do it with a press of a button.

case-in-point, people who do let's plays, who pay people who do let's plays, or people who make video game commentaries/revies on their own without a debug unit will find their expensive investment from last-gen to be useless this gen, hence they are spreading misinformation about the system.

What if I want to edit the footage that I capture?

Theres a rumor that PS4 will keep the HDCP on HDMI. So you can't record gameplay due to the HDCP encryption.

EDIT: DAMN beaten

EDIT2: Maybe the OP should be updated with the information what the rumor actually is. Some people don't seem to know about it yet.

This. Some of us not on Gaf all day.

Bombs will be dropped at TGS including TLG no show.

i really wish they give us a proper tour of the OS. unless they plan to do that after all these events.

Top Bottom