• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida responds to PS4 gameplay capture rumor

Gorillaz

Well it's clearly something people care about now so at least we might get some actual answers out of it all in the end, even if the way they went about it was wrong

Better to find out now than wait till the systems are out and then going "oh yeah you can't do that"

The amount of people that stream or upload to youtube is more bloated then alot of people realize. People care but it's not the deciding factor for alot of people.

Machinima is worried because they are literally a youtube business. That's it. They are funded almost entirely from YouTube and ad revenue so of course they are starting to get scared shitless with this. Add in the fact that they are known for a bias (nothing against being bias, just that it will be a factor for people) and the vid could come off like misdirection. I'm glad it got yosp and his trolling ass to be more clear about it because it really was necessary but the reasoning behind Machinima making the vid is what gets everyone.

TLDR: Machinima getting a little nervous because Sony might be fucking up there money flow so they put out that vid. It's messy but I get from a "business" sense why they are getting worried

The amount of people that stream or upload to youtube is more bloated then alot of people realize. People care but it's not the deciding factor for alot of people.

Machinima is worried because they are literally a youtube business. That's it. They are funded almost entirely from YouTube and ad revenue so of course they are starting to get scared shitless with this. Add in the fact that they are known for a bias (nothing against being bias, just that it will be a factor for people) and the vid could come off like misdirection. I'm glad it got yosp and his trolling ass to be more clear about it because it really was necessary but the reasoning behind Machinima making the vid is what gets everyone.

TLDR: Machinima getting a little nervous because Sony might be fucking up there money flow so they put out that vid. It's messy but I get from a "business" sense why they are getting worried

Well yeah I know all that, I never said people were using this as a deciding factor on buying the system. Just that a lot of people are clearly curious about the ambiguity about this side of things.

They messed up by saying it disallows ALL PS4 gameplay on youtube but it did bring to light for a lot of people that "Oh yeah can we actually record with something else?"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't understand, people have been capturing direct footage from ps3 all generation?

1. You can capture it via HDMI (w/ HDCP) with HDCP strippers (it's not complicated)
2. You can capture it via component (analog does not have an HDCP)

PS4 will not have option 2, so people are worried they'll have to strip the protection (should PS4 have it) if they want to capture.

Frolow

Banned
Since people seem confused: This has nothing to do with the share feature.
HDCP encryption affects external capture, like with a capture card. Gaming websites and Gaming Youtube channels record gameplay externally so they can edit the footage later. There are ways to get around the HDCP encryption, but they almost always involve the purchase of a splitter, which is completely unnecessary. The PS3 allowed the use of Component, which is what most people used to get around the HDCP for recording off of the PS3. However, since the PS4 only supports HDMI, a splitter will be mandatory.

All of this would be moot if Sony simply disabled the HDCP encryption for games.
Reposting for a new page since some people are still confused.

I'm a little weirded out by the timing of this discussion? The PS3 had HDCP as well, the only difference was that there was that you could work around it using component cables. Now you just need to buy a HDCP stripper, which isn't a huge deal.

And I feel like most Twitch streamers and Youtube channel operators have known about for a while?

The thing is that still don't know if PS4 has HDCP 1.3 or the new 2.2 so HDMI strippers wouldn't work.
Oh, that could be a huge deal. Time to do some research.

The thing is that still don't know if PS4 has HDCP 1.3 or the new 2.2 so HDMI strippers wouldn't work.

I'm not too knowledgeable about hdcp but from wikipedia:

The 2.x version of HDCP is not a continuation of HDCPv1, and is rather a completely different link protection. While all of the HDCP v1.x specifications support backwards compatibility to previous versions of the specification, HDCPv2 devices may interface with HDCPv1 hardware only by natively supporting HDCPv1, or by using a dedicated converter device. As a result, there is currently no deployment plan for v2 to replace v1 in existing systems. This means that HDCPv2 is only applicable to new technologies. It has been selected for the WirelessHD and Miracast (formerly WiFi Display) standards.

HDCP 2.x features a new authentication protocol, and a locality check to ensure the receiver is relatively close (it must respond to the locality check within 20 ms on a normal (DVI/HDMI link [29]). Version 2.1 of the specification was recently cryptanalyzed and found to have several flaws, including the ability to recover the session key.[30]

Which means there is no way Sony nor MS will be implementing HDCP 2.x on their systems unless they don't want it to work with most tv's.

PaulLFC

Would it be possible to just have it so you can capture gameplay but not rip blu-rays/other media?
If the console is smart enough to differentiate between a Blu-Ray game and a Blu-Ray movie (which it obviously will be, since even on PS3 they appear under different parts of the XMB), then surely they can selectively enable/disable protection based on the media type?

Krakn3Dfx

My favorite of the Twitter responses:

@yosp You can't tell me it isn't as easy as flipping a switch in the programming. PS4 will lose sales if you can't externally record GamePla

Yes, dozens of sales will be lost. Such drama.

Guymelef

I'm not too knowledgeable about hdcp but from wikipedia:

Which means there is no way Sony nor MS will be implementing HDCP 2.x on their systems unless they don't want it to work with most tv's.

That's good.
So a Blu-Ray drive 4K with HDCP 2.2 only would work with a TV 4k with HDCP 2.2.

So if I want to record gameplay and post it on the Internet, I have to use the share feature in the console ? I can't do it manually with my own software ?

so basically the rumor was correct lol. no capture cards basically means youtube video makers will all use xbox for their console of choice,

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So if I want to record gameplay and post it on the Internet, I have to use the share feature in the console ? I can't do it manually with my own software ?

We don't know. You are able to capture PS3 via HDMI with some workarounds. The same may be necessary with PS4.

Okay, I'm really lost here. Won't having all the share options make 3rd party devices pointless. I (probably wrong here) always figured that any gameplay you captured could be stored on your hard drive and exported out to another device (PC, media server, etc.), which could then be uploaded to YouTube. Also, it was my assumption (probably wrong here, too) that the 15 minute recording works similar to how live TV on a DVR works. A DVR is always recording a show when you watch it live by creating a temporary recording. This is how you are able to pause and rewind live TV. Eventually that recording reaches it's 15-30 minute maximum and a new recording is started, permanently deleting the previous recording. However, if you tell the DVR you want the program you're watching to to record it permanently, it does so. So, if recording on PS4 is similar to a DVR, you should are able to set a recording as long as you like. And then if you are able export that video out to anywhere you like, doesn't that remove the necessity of a 3rd party capture device?

Okay, I'm really lost here. Won't having all the share options make 3rd party devices pointless. I (probably wrong here) always figured that any gameplay you captured could be stored on your hard drive and exported out to another device (PC, media server, etc.), which could then be uploaded to YouTube. Also, it was my assumption (probably wrong here, too) that the 15 minute recording works similar to how live TV on a DVR works. A DVR is always recording a show when you watch it live by creating a temporary recording. This is how you are able to pause and rewind live TV. Eventually that recording reaches it's 15-30 minute maximum and a new recording is started, permanently deleting the previous recording. However, if you tell the DVR you want the program you're watching to to record it permanently, it does so. So, if recording on PS4 is similar to a DVR, you should are able to set a recording as long as you like. And then if you are able export that video out to anywhere you like, doesn't that remove the necessity of a 3rd party capture device?

Yes, but we actually don't know if you can record more than 15 minutes.

Yes, but we actually don't know if you can record more than 15 minutes.

I know. It was my personal assumption. I was just saying IF the PS4 can do what I said above, that would render the whole argument moot. I think what Shuhei meant in his tweet was they have yet to reveal the FULL details about video recording. I would assume we'll get more info at TGS, as it's the final major exhibition before the PS4's launch and Sony will have a lot of time dedicated to PS4 since Vita/Vita TV/PS3 (and the PS4's Japanese launch date) were already shown off at this week's event.

Frolow

Banned

There's a lot of variables. First, Sony could just not allow you to export videos to an external HDD, simple as that. And even if they do, the video file could be in a format that's unrecognizable to video editing software. Second, the quality will almost certainly be better if it's recording with an external device since people can edit settings to get the recording just right. With an internal recording system, you're stuck with whatever options Sony gives you, if any at all.

For quickly uploading a cool highlight, I'm sure Sony's internal sharing options will do just fine. But for Gaming Websites and Gaming Youtube channels, there's no alternative to capture cards and professional editing software.

The built-in software, no matter how robust, will never be good enough. They need to remove HDCP from games.

There's a lot of variables. First, Sony could just not allow you to export videos to an external HDD, simple as that. And even if they do, the video file could be in a format that's unrecognizable to video editing software. Second, the quality will almost certainly be better if it's recording with an external device since people can edit settings to get the recording just right. With an internal recording system, you're stuck with whatever options Sony gives you, if any at all.

For quickly uploading a cool highlight, I'm sure Sony's internal sharing options will do just fine. But for Gaming Websites and Gaming Youtube channels, there's no alternative to capture cards and professional editing software.

Yeah, if going by the videos you can upload directly to YouTube on PS3, the video quality HAS to improve. I know Peggle and Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Platic can upload directly. Some games that produce a file on your hard drive vary in quality. Beat Sketcher, has decent quality, but the videos I exported from MLB 12 were terribly fuzzy at full resolution.

I actually don't and the more I think about it and read what others are saying on it the more I'm thinking why HDCP stopped recording of games in the first place

I always assumed it was to protect copyrights etc. for all types of media connected to the PS3 and Blu ray

So technically it shouldn't have anything to do with games?

If there is no proof stripping HDCP is illegal, then its simply FUD.

Unless, people are putting up something stupid like Walkthroughs before release date, no publisher is going to go after you for stripping the HDCP to show gameplay. Its the easiest and cheapest promotion of games out there.

Techically Publishers could of taken down channels for walkthroughs from day one. How you capture footage is irrelevant, you dont have a license to show it and definitely arent authorised to monitize it. The only one that has even tried is Nintendo and even then they backed down.

But PS3 content is protected by HDCP and current professionals record video just fine. So they're either bypassing HDCP or they have other means of recording. So what's the problem exactly?

"current professionals' = ign, gamespot, etc. all have debug units, or licenses to put up direct-feed videos from sony, go through sony's content publishing/marketing procedures and follow the rules sony have put in place, have permission and are officially recognized by sony = legal.

"others" = machinima, let's players, etc. have retail units, purchase third-party devices to circumvent the hdcp and put up videos and monetize from views = illegal.

for most (as in an overwhelmingly majority) of people, the share button is enough.

Valnen

"current professionals' = ign, gamespot, etc. all have debug units, or licenses to put up direct-feed videos from sony, go through sony's content publishing/marketing procedures and follow the rules sony have put in place, have permission and are officially recognized by sony = legal.

"others" = machinima, let's players, etc. have retail units, purchase third-party devices to circumvent the hdcp and put up videos and monetize from views = illegal.

for most (as in an overwhelmingly majority) of people, the share button is enough.

Yeah, the professionals will continue recording as they currently do and honestly share button is enough for the youtube folks.

SRG01

It's illegal to strip HDCP.

No, there's a loophole with the law: It's illegal to remove the HDCP from the stream, but it is perfectly legal to have a valid HDCP-compliant device convert it to VGA. Every single HDCP-VGA converter out there is based on this principle.

As long as the "link" between HDCP devices isn't deliberately broken, it's fine.

Top Bottom