• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIEE fills a bunch of new trademarks ahead of conference (Shadow Of Colossus included

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well he wasn't the sole creator - as much as he would like you to believe. Also Ueda is more talk than action - his reputation as a development partner is less than stellar.

If you think he wasn't the driving force behind most every element of his games I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Also I think the second part of your statement holds little water considering the caliber of games he has released on top of the fact Sony has never said anything negative about him even after TLG had all its issues.

zewone

SotC is my favorite game ever, so I look forward to the announcement, but not getting my hopes up to set myself up disappointment.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PS2 Classics on PS4 are emulations rendered at 720p and then upscaled to your TV's resolution. The PS3 remaster rendered at a resolution less than 1080p but higher than 720p, and it had a much better framerate than the PS2 original along with some other enhancements.

The grip issue I'll give you, but in every other regard an emulated PS2 release would be inferior to the PS3 remaster.

Here are the facts:

PS3 remastered SOTC ran at 960x1080 if you set the mode to 1080p, which is 12% higher than 720p, otherwise it would run at 720p native if you picked 720p mode.

PS2 to PS4 classics are 1292x896 native rendered(or higher), which is higher than 960x1080

Both the PS3 remaster and the PS4 emulated version will run at locked 30fps.

SOTC PS4 will retain the grip that PS3 lost.

Its pretty simple

ScOULaris

Here are the facts:

PS3 remastered SOTC ran at 960x1080 if you set the mode to 1080p, which is 12% higher than 720p, otherwise it would run at 720p native if you picked 720p mode.

PS2 to PS4 classics are 1292x896 native rendered(or higher), which is higher than 960x1080

Its pretty simple

It's no guarantee that a PS2 Classic version of SotC would run at a locked 30fps. Plenty of PS2 Classics on PS4 have framerate dips similar to their original releases. See the GTA games, for example.

Also, the PS3 remaster was a Bluepoint project. I'm sure there were textures and UI elements that were updated to look better in HD for the remaster that would be missing in a PS2 Classic release.

Vashetti

Banned
PS2 Classics on PS4 are emulations rendered at 720p and then upscaled to your TV's resolution. The PS3 remaster rendered at a resolution less than 1080p but higher than 720p, and it had a much better framerate than the PS2 original along with some other enhancements.

The grip issue I'll give you, but in every other regard an emulated PS2 release would be inferior to the PS3 remaster.

Shadow of the Colossus rendered at 1280x720 on PS3, or 960x1080 if your PS3 was set to output 1080p.

On PS4 as a PS2 classic, it would render at 1292x896 (double its PS2 resolution of 512x448). Pro could push this higher, but the PS4's PS2 emulator is not Pro enabled.

Jesus GAF, calm your tits. A remake isn't happening. More than likely, it's a port of the collection or a PS2 library release, which is fantastic either way.

The Pope

If you think he wasn't the driving force behind most every element of his games I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Also I think the second part of your statement holds little water considering the caliber of games he has released on top of the fact Sony has never said anything negative about him even after TLG had all its issues.

"His games" I cant stick this deifying of Japanese developers ala Kojima. I understand - to an extent - your concern. However I dont believe it is warranted and it would be disingenuous and unfair to dismiss this game.

Blader

Remaster or not, I just hope they fix the fucking controls from the PS3 collection. A couple of the colossi took forever to take down because of some awful grip mechanics carried over from the PAL version of the game.

Icolin

Banned
Remaster or not, I just hope they fix the fucking controls from the PS3 collection. A couple of the colossi took forever to take down because of some awful grip mechanics carried over from the PAL version of the game.
Especially that final colossus with like 6 phases that hinged on grip controls more than the other colossi.

Lemondish

Bravo Team - A third person shooter in the vein of 'The Other Guys' or 'Bad Company 2' that follows the deadliest 'B' team out there. These misfits take on dangerous missions that are just a smidgen less important and glorious as the Alpha Team. Developed by a real B team in one of Sony's first party studios.

They despise Alpha Team.

Ridley327

Especially that final colossus with like 6 phases, most of them hinging on grip controls more than the others.

That one, I didn't find too many problems with because it's a much more predictable fight and you have a lot of wiggle room once you're on its back. It's guys like the bearded one that expose just how much a shitshow the rejiggered grip really is, especially in time trials.

ArchAngel

Had no problems in the PAL and Remaster. It was the ultimate version on PS2 :p

Fardeen

as much as i want this game on ps4 graphics i dont want someone to risk spoiling this game, no game will ever replace this feeling playing the game for the first time on ps2. that feel was awesome

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
"His games" I cant stick this deifying of Japanese developers ala Kojima. I understand - to an extent - your concern. However I dont believe it is warranted and it would be disingenuous and unfair to dismiss this game.

What does being Japanese have to do with this? I would feel less confidant about The Last of Us 2 if Druckmann wasn't involved and I wish Straley still was as well.

It's funny I love SOTC and I was super pumped to buy the HD Collection and I did and then had no desire to play it. It's one of those one playthrough only type of games for me I think. It was so memorable and so magnificent I just don't want to replay it. I am happy if they spruce it up again of course - the more people who can play it the better.

Frantics sounds like a AAA title. The rest all sound like VR games. Inpatient sounds like a VR horror game by the Until Dawn squad.

Keep in mind its possible that these games might not even be announced till psx. So who knows.

Best wishes.

Vire

Why can't you just let certain things be?

This is one of them... also still think The Last of Us should have been one and done but whatcha gonna do.

Hoping this is just a remaster tbh.

If they're bringing it to PS4 I'd like them to include all the cut content, as long as it's up to snuff that is. Don't know about the co-op though, might be cool as well.

synce

I remember Ueda said a bunch of colossi were cut. If they could add those, remove the texture pop-in, and get it running at 60fps this would easily be GOTY

Gurish

If it's true this is such a weird and random decision, to remake STOC.

Don't get me wrong it's an awesome game but I never knew there is a demand of remaking it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
While true, you have to take into account that PS3 remaster had MLAA and at the very least some kind of texture filtering. PS2 on PS4 release won't have either, and the SotC on PS2 had horrendous problems with unfiltered textures (didn't even have mip-mapping iirc). There's no doubt in my mind that PS2 on PS4 game would have far worse image quality overall compared to PS3 remaster, despite slightly higher resolution.

Neither of those is a foregone conclusion. PS2 releases on PS4 do have better framerates than originals, but considering that SotC on PS2 had framerate regularly into long stretches of 15FPS, I think it's very questionable whether the emulator will be able to correct that to the degree of having locked 30FPS like the PS3 remaster did.

Also, PS3 remaster had the type of grip it did because it was a port of the European version of the game. So if they again release the EU PS2 version globally, you'll have the same problem.

I mean, I'll take the PS2 release on PS4, but let's not pretend it will be a match for PS3 remaster. Ico even more so, as the PS2 release didn't even have widescreen. Another thing of note the PS3 remasters of both games had 3DTV support which was honestly quite an amazing way to play the games.

Top Bottom