• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Fantastical

Death Prophet
and look what just arrived... i'm so glad I went this route. wonder how much i could find a PC copy of 2 on Ebay for.

wp_000310aueme.jpg

Doesn't that have its own problems as well? I'm confused on which is the best version for each game.

Doesn't that have its own problems as well? I'm confused on which is the best version for each game.

you have to use a 3rd party tool to get proper widescreen, but it's easy enough to do. there are also a few minor effects missing that the PS2 version had (i believe) but no where near as many as this collection seems to have.

textures are very high res in places and all in keeping and tone with the PS2 version. the HD collection uses lower resolutions than the PC version in some places it seems, and some of the ones it replaces, it replaces with stuff that's completely wrong. like cracked ashpalt being replaced with crisp fresh ashphalt, and rusted stained metal being replaced with unrusted metal.

HD collection is missing way more effects.

new voices in 3 may be better than the old ones though. haven't heard them.

oh, another downside for the PC version? it comes on 5 CDs. hah.

So... 360 is the way to go, right?

Anyway, is SH2 still as good as it was back in the day?

I men, the graphics already sucked back then and the controls and puzzles were awkward, but atmosphere and story were absolutely perfect. Is this still the case?

Cudder

I men, the graphics already sucked back then and the controls and puzzles were awkward, but atmosphere and story were absolutely perfect. Is this still the case?

LAWL

SkylineRKR

So its safe to say that IGN's 9.0 was meant to divide in half, since it are 2 games?

4.5 would be the same as Downpour and a lot of other games this week so it makes sense.

kunonabi

you have to use a 3rd party tool to get proper widescreen, but it's easy enough to do. there are also a few minor effects missing that the PS2 version had (i believe) but no where near as many as this collection seems to have.

textures are very high res in places and all in keeping and tone with the PS2 version. the HD collection uses lower resolutions than the PC version in some places it seems, and some of the ones it replaces, it replaces with stuff that's completely wrong. like cracked ashpalt being replaced with crisp fresh ashphalt, and rusted stained metal being replaced with unrusted metal.

new SH3 voices are not better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

The graphics most certainly did NOT suck back then. They were absolutely incredible for their day.

When SH2 was released there had never been a game featuring fully dynamic shadows cast from a player controlled light source. It also used very smooth soft shadows to do it. The lighting, modeling, texture work, shadows, etc. were all top notch.

SH3 was even more of a technical showpiece.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Alright, thanks for the info. My computer couldn't run it anyways, but I'm thinking about building a PC this summer, so I'm weighing my options. Of course the PC versions are a lot more expensive too...

Nizz

Wow, just saw the thread title. Why did the PS3 version ship in this state? I really wish devs wouldn't ship a game until it's as good as it can be.

Bedlam

the HD collection uses lower resolutions than the PC version in some places it seems, and some of the ones it replaces, it replaces with stuff that's completely wrong. like cracked ashpalt being replaced with crisp fresh ashphalt, and rusted stained metal being replaced with unrusted metal.
Wait, what? For real? I'd be disappointed if that's the case. Are there any comparisons already?

Alright, thanks for the info. My computer couldn't run it anyways, but I'm thinking about building a PC this summer, so I'm weighing my options. Of course the PC versions are a lot more expensive too...

well, the game came out in 2003... so you might be surprised. no idea what you are running now though. this cost me about $22 shipped, so pretty much the same price. the box is a bit worn, but the contents are complete and the discs all work.

What? I didn't buy it on launch... Plus, I played it right after Metroid Prime... no offense, but graphics kind of sucked. The visual presentation was amazing, though!

Bought the PS3 version.

Opened it up in excitement before checking 'Gaf.

Should really stop doing that..

Fuck I did too. Just seeing this thread now. My bad. That will fucking teach me to not buy a HD remake Bluepoint isn't doing.

You would think that everything would be fine with just up-scaling a game. I even second guessed myself, "should I get it for 360? Hell no, why would I not get old school SH on PS3?"

If the Devil May Cry Collection isn't up to snuff in a couple weeks I am going to kick an elderly person in the hip!

FUCK!!!

What? I didn't buy it on launch... Plus, I played it right after Metroid Prime... no offense, but graphics kind of sucked. The visual presentation was amazing, though!

Needs more rust. It looks nothing like Silent Hill. It doesn't even directly tie-in with cult! SCREW THIS! *kicks over magazine rack*

Marco1

I would love to replay SH2 but I think this is one game I will keep in my memory not to replay in HD.
I think I will get downpour instead.

Levito

Banned

You really shouldn't say the graphics sucked back then when you didn't even play them at launch.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I've actually seen a DVD version for sale online

Dude. What.

Just realized SH2 came out at around the same time as MGS2... can't believe you guys are giving me flak for saying the graphics were less than stellar...

You really shouldn't say the graphics sucked back then when you didn't even play them at launch.

What? I played like a year or so after launch. If I thought they sucked a year after launch it must be because they weren't that good even for the time... Plus, I just realized MGS2 came out at around the same time as SH2... and I played that game well after Twin Snakes came out and still though it looked good.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, SH2 is one of my fav 5 games of all time, and that's solely due to theme, story and visual presentation. The graphics were meh and I was fine with that. So fine that I completed the game 4 times...

RagnarokX

Hasn't it always been empty in the beginning? :/

Edit : yeah, you can see it here too, remember noticing it when playing it and looking at it quite a bit, just a lot more subtle in the old version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z73KAVNA3A

Uh... the lake isn't empty, it's just got a bad texture because... well... you're not supposed to be able to see it clearly. That's not the problem, the problem is the very obvious one you didn't see for some reason :p

zV6Fp.jpg

Spot the difference!

Nizz

Fuck I did too. Just seeing this thread now. My bad. That will fucking teach me to not buy a HD remake Bluepoint isn't doing.

You would think that everything would be fine with just up-scaling a game. I even second guessed myself, "should I get it for 360? Hell no, why would I not get old school SH on PS3?"

If the Devil May Cry Collection isn't up to snuff in a couple weeks I am going to kick an elderly person in the hip!

FUCK!!!

23fbb3aa55a96bb7898da5baf7937e5d4f9d5674.gif

Damn!

Bluepoint seem to be in a league of their own with HD collections. The only work of theirs I've played is the God Of War Collection but that was fantastic.

Cudder

Attention Silent Hill HD Collection PS3 Users: We’re very aware of the PS3 frame rate/lip-synch issues with Silent Hill HD Collection and a patch was already under development.

The patch has been deployed today, and is now available on the PlayStation Network. We’re sorry for any inconvenience and we appreciate your patience.

(Note: This addresses an issue not found in the Xbox 360 version of the game, or the upcoming European release for both platforms.)

So I've progressed further in Silent Hill 3 HD.

The framerate problems are not gone, but they are less noticeable to me. Perhaps this is due to having gotten used to them, doubt it's related to where I've progressed.

Top Bottom