• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Levito

Banned
It does, but it sounds completely different. It sounds like it's being fast-forwarded and higher by 10 octaves.

Why the fuck would they think that needed changing? I've used that as my SMS tone before. The one in Downpour sounds dumb as well. For everything Homecoming did wrong, at least they used the same chime.

I can't for the life of me think of a reason why they thought that needed to be changed, even Downpour uses the original sound.

Ridley327

I can't for the life of me think why they thought that needed to be changed, even Downpour uses the original sound.

I was WTFing with the live stream when the guy picked up a health drink the first time. How did anyone think that was a good idea?

Levito

Banned
it's still a fucking awful port, be it on ps3 or 360. these latest hd remasters are starting to turn out really bad.

The team that did the ICO and Metal Gear Solid collections does an outstanding job, aside from them though....

I feel like these days I can't look at anything Silent Hill related and not be somewhat disappointed.

kunonabi

I was WTFing with the live stream when the guy picked up a health drink the first time. How did anyone think that was a good idea?

I don't think good ideas were a part of the gameplan from the beginning.

From the initial announcement the collection sounded bad and it's just gotten worse and worse as time has gone on. I will admit that even I didn't think it would be this bad.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
That has less to do with any programming errors and more to do with it being based on the PAL version of the game.

The climbing controls were fine in the PAL version, weren't they? I can't recall the climbing controls being so completely broken and terrible when I played the PAL PS2 version.

ScOULaris

The team that did the ICO and Metal Gear Solid collections does an outstanding job, aside from them though....I feel like these days I can't look at anything Silent Hill related and not be somewhat disappointed.

Silent Hill has been on a downward spiral since SH4 that would make Sonic blush.

Konami needs to be legally convicted of rape at this point.

Ridley327

The climbing controls were fine in the PAL version, weren't they? The only things they added/changed was that goddamn waterwheel and the piston jump 'puzzle' IIRC. I can't recall the climbing controls being so completely broken and terrible when I played the PAL PS2 version.

The controls are fine, but it's the physics that got changed, hence Wander flailing around more frequently than in the US version.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The controls are fine, but it's the physics that got changed, hence Wander flailing around more frequently than in the US version.

I see. Too bad they couldn't use the NTSC version then, as the HD Collection version was almost completely unplayable to me due to the shittastic controls and flailing.

Cels

eVZbo.png

Yeah the Brightness...WOW

Typo, how long was I wandering in darkness before I found the right door?
It was only a few minutes, but I couldn't see anything while you were without the flashlight.

Things seemed okay once you got the flashlight, but it still seemed darker than I remember it being in the ps2 version. That might just be an inaccuracy on my part, though.

ScOULaris

And I'll never forgive the MGS HD team for changing confirm from O to X and exit from X to O. Fucking savages.

The Team Ico and MGS collections were top notch, despite those extremely minor discrepancies.

This, on the other hand... I would have rather allowed Konami to rape and murder my family than release this abomination.

SkylineRKR

I don't get it. Those games were being built on the fucking Playstation 2, and yet the Ps3 version of this HD collection is an abomination?

Its starting to become apparent that only Bluepoint can do these HD ports justice, MGS HD is excellent. Well I haven't played them, but Sly and Jak should be fine as well. Dunno who did those (Sanzaru?).

I was set to pick up this game at the 30th, but this sounds and looks bad. Might go for Orochi 3 then.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I don't get it. Those games were being built on the fucking Playstation 2, and yet the Ps3 version of this HD collection is an abomination?

Its starting to become apparent that only Bluepoint can do these HD ports justice, MGS HD is excellent.

I was set to pick up this game at the 30th, but this sounds and looks bad. Might go for Orochi 3 then.

No kidding. Was literally going out the door yesterday (never played a SH game before). Seriously disgusted.

Levito

Banned
This collection should have been delayed again, releasing the game in it's current state in north america has only hurt Konami's reputation this generation.

Man I can't get over how disappointing this is.

Cudder

This collection should have been delayed again, releasing the game in it's current state in north america has only hurt Konami's reputation this generation.

Man I can't get over how disappointing this is.

But then they would've missed out on "Silent Hill Month"

Teknoman

Hopefully the patch fixes the most significant issues without introducing others, and we can sweep the rest under the rug...

Something else too... the fog in SH2 looked like square patches. In the 360 version, something about it is "better," it no longer looks like noticeable squares and something else about it seems more... organic for the lack of a better word. It's still not good, but better.

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully the patch fixes the most significant issues without introducing others, and we can sweep the rest under the rug...

Fuck that, I am not paying money for this bullshit.

They delayed it multiple times and it seems that they knew the game was fucking broke and STILL RELEASED IT. They just pushed the EU version back ten days at the final moment so the patch would be out by the time fans in europe get this game.

What happens in ten years when someone buys a copy of this game but the servers that issue the update are long gone? They have to suffer through a broken game.

Something else too... the fog in SH2 looked like square patches. In the 360 version, something about it is "better," it no longer looks like noticeable squares and something else about it seems more... organic for the lack of a better word. It's still not good, but better.

The lighting in Silent Hill 3 looks like squares as well, you can see the candles in the intro video.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What boggles my mind is that SH2 is probably the least technically demanding PS2 title to undergo HD-ification. Quite how they managed to screw the pooch on this is just nuts.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just picked this up today.....why is there any "skyriminess" for an HD port of PS2 games? Programming fail? Cell fail? I haven't had a chance to read in depth

Atolm

What a fucking disaster. Between this, Downpour and Book of Memories Silent Hill is dead. Now I fear for ZoE HD ;(

It's funny how the PC ports were considered "bad" by 2003 standards and now they're the definive versions

Persona7

Banned
I just picked this up today.....why is there any "skyriminess" for an HD port of PS2 games? Programming fail? Cell fail? I haven't had a chance to read in depth

I don't think anybody knows at the moment. It seems that Tomm Hulett knew this game was broken WELL before it ever came out.

Maybe Konami was pushing the development team to get this out the door, I wish some people from Hijinx Studios would talk about this.

Teknoman

Fuck that, I am not paying money for this bullshit.

They delayed it multiple times and it seems that they knew the game was fucking broke and STILL RELEASED IT. They just pushed the EU version back ten days at the final moment so the patch would be out by the time fans in europe get this game.

What happens in ten years when someone buys a copy of this game but the servers that issue the update are long gone? They have to suffer through a broken game.

The lighting in Silent Hill 3 looks like squares as well, you can see the candles in the intro video.

Yeah you're right. I'd be fine with them fixing the game asap, ( what else can you do but either wait now they've replied or get a refund)but i didnt think about down the road purchases for when the next systems hit. Could they just not ship anymore of the unfixed versions?

Was going to grab this for the PS3 last night. Glad I held off. I'll wait until I hear better news - maybe. I may end up getting the 360 version but SH somehow feels "wrong" on that controller. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

SkylineRKR

What a fucking disaster. Between this, Downpour and Book of Memories Silent Hill is dead. Now I fear for ZoE HD ;(

It's funny how the PC ports were considered "bad" by 2003 standards and now they're the definive versions

Is it known who's going to be behind ZoE HD? Chances of Bluepoint since they were also behind Hideo's MGS?

Top Bottom