• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories E3 Walk-through

pulga

Banned
I've never purchased a Silent Hill game before, and my only experience with the series is a little bit of Homecoming. Was not impressed with that turd, but Shattered Memories looks really effing good.

What's this about "an alley" you guys keep talking about on the first page?

Heh, I guess the game wasn't as scary for me without sound. It was intense, but I didn't get a whole lot out of it. It looked decent graphically, though, and the controls seemed pretty good.

ratcliffja said:
Heh, I guess the game wasn't as scary for me without sound. It was intense, but I didn't get a whole lot out of it. It looked decent graphically, though, and the controls seemed pretty good.
They had headphones today, at the Nintendo booth, at least.

I don't think I can handle slutty Dahlia. I'll be consciously trying to skew my profile to avoid that. I also don't want to see the pervie equivalent of Kaufman. He'll probably be wearing a set of scrubs with the v neck inexplicably going all the way down to his treasure trail.

God's Beard said:
As much as I dislike the Wii, this looks better than Alan Wake.

what the sweet fuck!?

it looks good, but maybe a little bit too excited for SH:Cold.

Big Icarus said:
I don't think I can handle slutty Dahlia. I'll be consciously trying to skew my profile to avoid that. I also don't want to see the pervie equivalent of Kaufman. He'll probably be wearing a set of scrubs with the v neck inexplicably going all the way down to his treasure trail.

yea, i'm going to try and avoid nipple clamps Kaufman.

pulga said:
What's this about "an alley" you guys keep talking about on the first page?

nightmare sequence from the first game where you get killed, then wake up and start the game.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Big Icarus said:
you know, by purposely avoiding it, you'll probably end up bringing it upon yourself. :lol

doomed1 said:
you know, by purposely avoiding it, you'll probably end up bringing it upon yourself. :lol

hiimdaisy.jpg

Futurevoid said:
Great googly moogly. I'd buy a fucking Wii based on that trailer alone being the freakoid Silent Hill fan I am. Thankfully I already own one and I'm about ready to give it a big manly Kaufman v-neck wearing hug after watching that.

Eh come now, I don't understand this. Why are fans so frothing over it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
TheChillyAcademic said:

It's an entry rooted in a game with a solid foundation, with some great new ideas, and a much more interesting direction than we've seen just about ever.

That or tits.

SnakeXs said:
It's an entry rooted in a game with a solid foundation, with some great new ideas, and a much more interesting direction than we've seen just about ever.

That or tits.

Its a re imaging, fascinating yes, but orgasmic? I don't see it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheChillyAcademic said:

They're fans. Something you obviously know nothing about.

TheChillyAcademic said:
To be frank, I'm not seeking your understanding or approval. No offense intended and I hate if that comes off with a negative tone as it's not my intention. I just find your statement borderline silly. Why would I bother to ask you such a vapid question as "eh, I don't understand this. Why are fans so apprehensive?" Come on now. Let's not be dense here. I have no need to understand it. It is what it is.

Listen, it's entirely your right (and the right of any fan) to be apprehensive about the changes being made to this reimagining. I'd never be so presumptuous as to take that away from anyone in this thread. Consequently, it's entirely my right to feel very positive and excited that Climax are going in an excellent direction with Shattered Memories. It's a very simple concept and I think there's room for both positive and negative when discussing the thread. I simply happen to fall on the positive side of this particular gaming "Berlin wall".

I've stated many many times why I'm excited about this game in the various threads devoted to it since it's original announcement. Everything I've seen from E3 has confirmed and aligned with many of my own beliefs on where the series should go. Beginning with more focus on exploration and puzzle solving, less intrusive or no combat at all and a general push away from flatout action (we have Resident Evil and Dead Space for that). Oh and how about just breathing some new life into a series that is so desperately in need of it? (and yes, I'm an enormous fan willing to completely admit that). Silent Hill has always been a classic point and click adventure game masquerading as a third person action/adventure to me. This new title moves it closer to to that for me and because of that, I'm excited about the possibilities.

I'll not be coy here, I have some niggling apprehensions as well but that trailer was too well put together for me not to be left impressed. The new music from Yamaoka is just my own personal kryptonite that sealed the deal. Sure, I embellished a bit in my previous post but then that's the fun of communicating on a forum and well I had to throw v-neck Kaufman somewhere in there. It's almost a more horrifying image than anything in the first three Silent Hill titles.:lol

TheChillyAcademic said:
You think I'm not a Silent Hill fan?
Sure. You're just the #2 fan is all.;)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And Chilly I remember you went on a crusade against this game when it was first announced. I believe your first post on the subject was "GOD FUCKING DAMNIT!!!"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BLACK WII PLUS SILENT HILL: SHATTERED MEMORIES

MAKE IT HAPPEN CAPCOM

pakkit

Banned
EatChildren said:
BLACK WII PLUS SILENT HILL: SHATTERED MEMORIES

MAKE IT HAPPEN CAPCOM
They're trying apparently.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/992/992000p2.html

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
The Wii has suddenly become the new home for horror games, and perhaps no game is representing this trend better than Capcom's upcoming revival of the Silent Hill series. Creepy, atmospheric and technically impressive (with its incredible lighting), Silent Hill is sure to impress when it arrives later this year. Click here for the E3 trailer.
:lol :lol Oh, Matt.

pakkit

Banned
Silent Hill Roundtable

http://wii.ign.com/articles/992/992025p1.html

Some quotes said:
Shattered Memories is a re-imagining of the first Silent Hill from 1999, and Barlow wanted to bring the gameplay and the story forward to better reflect how gamers play ten years after the original. As such, they've kept the core emotional story - Harry searching for his missing daughter - and crafted a new, contemporary story around it, relevant to today's audience. Longtime fans will recognize a few returning characters, but don't expect the same motives and interactions as before.

That, in part, is due to the all-knowing, all-seeing Psych Profile system that follows your every move. The game opens with a flash-forward to a psychologist's office where you fill out a questionnaire, giving you a base profile to start from. That alone changes the world around you once you reach the Hill; you might run into a female cop who's openly hostile to you if you admitted to a little infidelity on the form. From there, everything you see and do in the game continues to evolve your environment. If you've had a drinking problem, where another play sees soda cans, you'll see beer bottles. Keep checking out the girly posters scattered around town, and that cop might also sport some cleavage... and the monsters crawling out of the darkness take on grotesquely female traits.

Moreover, you'll return to the psychologist's office throughout the game for more and deeper tests. Barlow stayed light on specifics, but indicated they would take a more advanced tone than the questionnaire, such as Rorschach-like tests. Barlow and game director Mark Simmons brought in composer Akira Yamaoka and University of England psychologists to consult on the game, and actually went into therapy themselves as part of the research process.

Neither Barlow nor Hulett would confirm the inclusion of boss battles in the game, suggesting that players would instead face something more like boss situations... moments of high dramatic tension that make you call on all your skills to survive.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories has been clocked at 6 to 9 hours, but replayability on this one is going to be high.

God fuck IGN's video player is worthless.

Anyone have the trailer uploaded on Youtube?

Edit: Nevermind! Thankfully, Youtube has it. Fuck off, IGN.

Futurevoid said:
To be frank, I'm not seeking your understanding or approval. No offense intended and I hate if that comes off with a negative tone as it's not my intention. I just find your statement borderline silly. Why would I bother to ask you such a vapid question as "eh, I don't understand this. Why are fans so apprehensive?" Come on now. Let's not be dense here. I have no need to understand it. It is what it is.

Listen, it's entirely your right (and the right of any fan) to be apprehensive about the changes being made to this reimagining. I'd never be so presumptuous as to take that away from anyone in this thread. Consequently, it's entirely my right to feel very positive and excited that Climax are going in an excellent direction with Shattered Memories. It's a very simple concept and I think there's room for both positive and negative when discussing the thread. I simply happen to fall on the positive side of this particular gaming "Berlin wall".

I've stated many many times why I'm excited about this game in the various threads devoted to it since it's original announcement. Everything I've seen from E3 has confirmed and aligned with many of my own beliefs on where the series should go. Beginning with more focus on exploration and puzzle solving, less intrusive or no combat at all and a general push away from flatout action (we have Resident Evil and Dead Space for that). Oh and how about just breathing some new life into a series that is so desperately in need of it? (and yes, I'm an enormous fan willing to completely admit that). Silent Hill has always been a classic point and click adventure game masquerading as a third person action/adventure to me. This new title moves it closer to to that for me and because of that, I'm excited about the possibilities.

I'll not be coy here, I have some niggling apprehensions as well but that trailer was too well put together for me not to be left impressed. The new music from Yamaoka is just my own personal kryptonite that sealed the deal. Sure, I embellished a bit in my previous post but then that's the fun of communicating on a forum and well I had to throw v-neck Kaufman somewhere in there. It's almost a more horrifying image than anything in the first three Silent Hill titles.:lol

It falls down to, I suppose, opinions. You are elated, I am cautious, if not a tad cynical. There hasn't been a true, Team Silent, Silent Hill since 4 and there is a fantastic possibilities we will never see another. I enjoyed SH:O, despised Homecoming and have no reason to assume this will be the jolt the series needs/deserves. I guess I really am a purist, you and I have gotten into plenty of discussions on the merits and downfalls each entry in the series has and this isn't the place. In thinking about it, part of me is extremely apprehensive about them touching what was, to me, a classic, nearly perfect horror title. In order for me to fully appreciate this re imagining I suppose I'll have to force myself to understand that this isn't a remake, its another take, another view.

Hmmm.

Andrex said:
And Chilly I remember you went on a crusade against this game when it was first announced. I believe your first post on the subject was "GOD FUCKING DAMNIT!!!"

That was before I knew it was coming to PSP/PS2! :D

At least I'm telling the truth!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I would almost say that Silent Hill had some of the larger lines at the show, at least for the Wii (clear winner being GoWIII overall).

It was Konami's biggest demo for sure and there was usually 2-3 people queued up for each machine. Now that doesn't sound like a lot, but E3 was a ghosttown this year comparatively :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheChillyAcademic said:
That was before I knew it was coming to PSP/PS2! :D

At least I'm telling the truth!

Those versions are shaping up to be far from the ideal versions to play, though. I suppose if you're not really a fan of the series, you can settle for the downscaled ports.

Andrex said:
Those versions are shaping up to be far from the ideal versions to play, though. I suppose if you're not really a fan of the series, you can settle for the downscaled ports.

Don't be ridiculous. Firstly, we havent been told nearly ANYTHING about the other versions, your guess is as good as an earthworm's. Secondly, I never said I wouldn't buy it on the Wii :D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
TheChillyAcademic said:
Don't be ridiculous. Firstly, we havent been told nearly ANYTHING about the other versions, your guess is as good as an earthworm's. Secondly, I never said I wouldn't buy it on the Wii :D
But why would you buy it on the PS2/PSP, or at least, why did you interest pique when you heard it was on the PS2/PSP?

Seems that Wii is the clear lead platform. Plus there is Wii speaker integration and flashlight IR use.

Just curious.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fantastical said:
But why would you buy it on the PS2/PSP, or at least, why did you interest pique when you heard it was on the PS2/PSP?

Seems that Wii is the clear lead platform. Plus there is Wii speaker integration and flashlight IR use.

Just curious.

I think we all know the reason why.

Andrex said:
I think we all know the reason why.

Aren't you cute, defense force unite.

Fantastical said:

Just curious.

Specifically because I've played every SH game on a Sony console and my fan core obviously sits with them. That being said, its a given that as a Silent Hill fan I will need to purchase the definitive version, which at this point seems to be the Wii, but it doesn't shut out the possibilities the other versions may have.

RyuKanSan

that trailer was pretty creepy. I got scared. I can play Resident Evil but this just scared the pants of me for some reason lol. When they thing grabbed him from the closet, i was like OH SHIT hahaha.

Saint10118 said:
Even having read this I still jumped. EXCITE!
When I played through, they were right behind me, so as soon as I got into the closet and the camera panned to look through the bars, one was right there and grabbed me. Quite the startle, that.

RobertM

The Otherworld looks terrible, was ice and constant running supposed to scare the shit out of me? Just remake the first Silent Hill with better graphics and don't touch a single thing beyond that, and I'll buy the game day one.
hoping for a PS3 version with waggle...

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
The Wii has suddenly become the new home for horror games, and perhaps no game is representing this trend better than Capcom's upcoming revival of the Silent Hill series. Creepy, atmospheric and technically impressive (with its incredible lighting), Silent Hill is sure to impress when it arrives later this year. Click here for the E3 trailer.

He's been at IGN way too long :lol

RobertM said:
The Otherworld looks terrible, was ice and constant running supposed to scare the shit out of me? Just remake the first Silent Hill with better graphics and don't touch a single thing beyond that, and I'll buy the game day one.
The last thing we need is another simple remake. It's bad enough in Hollywood, and we've already seen a fair bit of it here in the gaming industry. Screw that shit. This reimagining is terribly atmospheric, and the chase scenes will get your adrenaline going.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RobertM said:

Totally disagree. The transision between the two worlds looks really cool, and I like the visual style.

I think they could touch it up a little bit. Add some fog to the ice world to make it look a bit misty, and maybe have a layer of snow build up on the main character when he stands still too long. Mist would probably be my number 1 change. Not for the 'main' world, just the otherword. Cold ice is misty, so make it look that way.

Top Bottom