• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

I just want to see CLIMAX attempt something that's either:
A. not a prequel (SH Zero/Origins); or
B. not a revision (SH:SM)

Both were, in my eyes, successful (SM moreso than Zero/Origins)- but I'd love to see all that creative writing/design go into something completely separate from the usual canon. SM was a few big steps in the right direction, but it might be for nothing. The VATRA SH might be another 'Homecoming'... just without Yamaoka.

Damn... didn't SH2 teach us that you can make a Silent Hill game completely detached from all the others with only basic themes/elements in place? SH4 got close, but still tried to shoe-horn in shit from the other games. I sincerely hope the new SH tries to move in interesting directions. Unfortunately we just don't have much to go on now. Kinda strange how dark that project has gone.

I really, really wish Imamura's idea back in 2001 would have passed KCEJ's focus groups- serialized, Twilight Zone styled installments that deal with different characters/different themes/different parts of the town. Just messed up, psychological stories that you can start, wrap up, and move on.

PSN/XBL would be perfect for that. Too bad it was conceived in a time when that simply wasn't possible... and a shame Konami sucks so much ass these days that they would never consider it again.

seady

Just beat the game. Wow… the ending is one of the best ever. So emotional.

Too bad the gameplay kind of suck. Would be nice if they focus more on the story and go even more toward the adventure genre. Or it would have been my 2nd favorite SH game right behind SH2. Right now it's a little flat except the fantastic story element.

It definitely going in the right direction though after the disappointing Origin and Homecoming.

Mesijs

seady said:
Just beat the game. Wow… the ending is one of the best ever. So emotional.

Too bad the gameplay kind of suck. Or it would be right behind SH2 as my favorite SH ever.

100% right.

I just pretend I didn't read the second part. You're kind of right even though any of that doesn't matter when you've just finished the game and are gasping for breath after you've experienced the more than magnificent, brilliant and emotional ending.

I actually wouldn't mind porting Shattered Memories to the 3DS. I don't give a crap about the 3D, I just want to see this title get more sales and more recognition.

In fact, I just played the game again last night with a friend. It was his first time playing it. He's only ever played Master System and Wii casual games.

You know, I always make the same fucking mistake (other than getting lost in the forest every time :) ). I always swear that this time, I'm going to break the game up into 2-3 nights. This would have helped me, and my friend. So what did I do yesterday at 10 PM? Started playing it with the friend... and played straight to the end without a break. Not what you want to do on a work night! Didn't go to bed until 4:30. Before I went to bed, I flat out sent my boss an email saying I'm feeling ill and will be in late.

We played it like this: He did all of the exploration parts, I did all of the chases.

Every time I play this game, I notice something new. This time it was the locker with the bag that said "Evidence 1". That really tripped me out, knowing what it was for.

I let the friend play all of the psych segments too. And lo and behold, what ending did he get?
Hero forever
. First person I've seen get that ending on their first playthrough without knowing WTF is going on.

Are we still spoiler-texting this game? If so...

He called Harry being dead probably around halfway through the game. I didn't confirm or deny it. But I asked a follow up question. "Who are these people he's talking to?" His thought was that they, and Harry, were ghosts, and that Harry was stuck in purgatory. So he was almost there. The actual ending was still a surprise for him.

And what still drives me nuts is I STILL can't figure out if some of the messages are about Cheryl, or somebody else. And just who are those other people? People Cheryl knew in her life that met tragic ends? Or a part of her made up fantasy?

Like the Pigtails girl. I still can't quite fit these messages together. OK, so a father drops his daughter with pigtails off at high school. Was this the same girl as the ghost at the cat house? If not, was it the girl's father that wanted the prostitute to look like his daughter? If it's the later, that puts a whole new WTF on that storyline. Or was this whole thing made up in Cheryl's head and never really happened?

Edit - And here's a review that pretty closely echo's my sentiments about the game. (Contains end-game spoilers!)

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/121476-the-brilliant-horror-of-silent-hill-shattered-memories/

And the titles says it all for me. Brilliant.

mantidor

SlipperySlope said:
Like the Pigtails girl. I still can't quite fit these messages together. OK, so a father drops his daughter with pigtails off at high school. Was this the same girl as the ghost at the cat house? If not, was it the girl's father that wanted the prostitute to look like his daughter? If it's the later, that puts a whole new WTF on that storyline. Or was this whole thing made up in Cheryl's head and never really happened?

I've only played it once
but for me the prostitute in pigtails was probably Cheryl herself, I got that impression for some reason, her daddy issues fitted with the situation and the client, it is indeed a huge WTF of a storyline. Cheryl's life was completely disturbing. While the ending took me by surprise these situations made me think this was Cheryl at the moment, but I found the notion absurd, however, these shocking situations stay with you, which is why the ending has such an immediate impact, first is the shock, but then you remember the creepy stuff and makes the shock even greater.

I guess you can figure out the ending, I almost did, but why would you? while the game's story is perfectly enjoyable knowing it going in blind and letting the game play you is so much more rewarding.

kinggroin

Banned
Nice to see this thread still alive. Played it again recently and can confirm once more that this is my third favorite Silent Hill game (behind 1 and 3).

seady

With this finished, I have done all the Silent Hill games except Homecoming. I just couldn't get myself to finish it. That game is so derivative and boring, especially comparing to Shattered Memories.

MiniDitka

SlipperySlope said:
I let the friend play all of the psych segments too. And lo and behold, what ending did he get?
Hero forever
. First person I've seen get that ending on their first playthrough without knowing WTF is going on.
I've played the game around 12 times(Wii/PS2) and still haven't gotten that ending : (

I always meant to post in this thread, but never got around to it. I beat it several months ago, and while I loathed the chase sequences, I found the ending to be very surprising, and upon further reflection and contemplation of all of the things encountered in the game, devastating.

I am loving this game! The chase sequences are very frustrating but very scary! I need a smoke break every time I finish one of those sections. Good silent hill game, great horror game. I specially like how the motion controls make me feel while escaping nightmares. I nearly choked myself once!

mantidor said:
I've only played it once
but for me the prostitute in pigtails was probably Cheryl herself, I got that impression for some reason, her daddy issues fitted with the situation and the client, it is indeed a huge WTF of a storyline. Cheryl's life was completely disturbing. While the ending took me by surprise these situations made me think this was Cheryl at the moment, but I found the notion absurd, however, these shocking situations stay with you, which is why the ending has such an immediate impact, first is the shock, but then you remember the creepy stuff and makes the shock even greater.

I guess you can figure out the ending, I almost did, but why would you? while the game's story is perfectly enjoyable knowing it going in blind and letting the game play you is so much more rewarding.

I'm going to reference the site that will spill out every message/text in the game. For anybody yet to beat it, don't look.

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_shattered_memories/messages_en.htm

There are two Pigtails segments. It's hard to figure out who may be who. The girl in the second segment probably isn't Cheryl, unless her mother remarried. The prostitute in the first one could be.

This one (Pigtails) is pretty haunting. The guy drops his daughter off at school, then in one version says this:
"You all ready for school? Hey, look at me when I'm talking. Daddy's little princess. You look so cute with your pigtails. All the boys in your class must be so distracted. Okay, you can run off now. See you tonight. "

What the fuck? Then he goes to a brothel and gets a girl to put on a wig to look like his daughter. Then for some reason the girl doesn't do it to his liking and he hits her.

Now.. is the prostitute Cheryl? No idea. Could be. But the psych at one point says that Cheryl doesn't get enough sex. Another possibility is it's somebody Cheryl knew.

Now for the other storyline in the school, Frigid, I think the girl there is Cheryl. That fits in with what the psych says. But then we know that she was sleeping with a teacher.

Here's a variation on the first message:
Why you have to be like this, baby? I know you're shy and stuff. That's how you are. But we have a connection. Why don't you trust me? All the other guys are gettin... yeah, ok sorry that's cheap.

And a variation on the second message:
I know it's cold to do it this way, but you don't listen when I talk. Sorry, it's over. I can't do this if you won't open up to me. -Steve.

These also fit in with Cheryl at the Mall, where she seems totally disconnected from reality when she kills Malcolm.
-911? It's Malcolm the security guard, he's been stabbed!
-Slow down, sir. Is there bleeding?
-Yes. There's lots. He's not moving.
-And the attacker? Is he still there?
-She. It's a she. She's still here, she's sitting on a bench. She's just staring into space.
-The police and ambulance are on their way. Do not approach the attacker.

Then again these message variations probably depend on how you're playing the game. One version of Cheryl killing Malcolm says she was screaming and going crazy, instead of being quiet and staring into space.

-911? Oh God, he's bleeding everywhere!
-Calm down sir. Who is bleeding? Can you describe the situation?
-The security guard, Malcolm. He's been stabbed. He's dead!
-Are you sure he is dead? Is he breathing?
-Oh God, she just went crazy. She was spitting and screaming. It's not right. Malcolm would never hurt a fly. She just went insane.

Now that's one big wall of spoilered text. Even after 7 playthroughs I can't put all of the pieces together.

Lonely1 said:
SH2:SM for 3DS!
9jdowm.gif

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm just going to spoiler this, it's really not a spoiler, but I'm asking about games/movies that have a mood like this game, and I just don't want to give anything away even a little bit.
Are there any movies or video games that have the same eeriness that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The game is set in a realistic setting, but the events of the game are so surreal and have this eerie feeling. You know it's wrong, but you keep going with it. It's like a dream. In hindsight the dream seems to weird, but when you are in it it doesn't seem all that weird, as the character does in Silent Hill. A movie that has this type of eerie, surreal mood is Mulholland Drive. Any others?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No reason Shattered Memories 2 has to be based on SH2.

That said, I'd love a Shattered Memories 2!
Someone write Climax and see what they be up to.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
John Harker said:
No reason Shattered Memories 2 has to be based on SH2.

That said, I'd love a Shattered Memories 2!
Someone write Climax and see what they be up to.
I almost wrote them a love letter a couple months ago. :D

I'm going to now, and ask what they are working on, not that they will say anything.

Dascu

I'd like Climax UK to have another shot at the franchise, but a Shattered Memories 2 type of game with the psych profile and chase segments (or rather, clear division between normal world and Otherworld) does not really interest me.

Dascu said:
I'd like Climax UK to have another shot at the franchise, but a Shattered Memories 2 type of game with the psych profile and chase segments (or rather, clear division between normal world and Otherworld) does not really interest me.
I think I see where you're coming from. Shattered Memories was such an amazing experience, and I don't think they should try and pull the same thing in a sequel, where much of the effect might be lost. I would love to see them try something new, though. This is the only Silent Hill game I've ever played extensively, but I love it to bits.

Lime

Completed my third playthrough. After mulling over the quality of the game in relation to the series, it really is the best since SH4 in terms of narrative mechanics and overall story. The chase segments as many others already have commented on, aren't the solution to the series' weak gameplay, but it is a fresh direction on something that badly needs a rehash.

But the art style wasn't as good as the original games (1-4): The characters in SM have a more stylized look along with clean skin, the Raw Shocks aren't scary/dread-inducing and the Otherworld, while serving an aspect of the plot nicely, was bland and generic.

I'm just glad that the series has (as of now) deviated from what future Homecoming indicated it would be. We'll see how Vatra will do with traumatised Caucasian, blond male protagonist # 273, but Climax really deserves to have another shot at the series, so that they can improve upon SM's downsides, especially the gameplay.

Mike M

Nick N
OK, way late to the party, but I bought this on impulse since it was dirt cheap and plowed right on through it. Never actually played a Silent Hill game, though I am relatively familiar with the major plot points in the series. I knew that this was a re imagining of the original title, but wasn't aware how far they ran with it. Outside of "Harry Mason is looking for his daughter Cheryl after crashing his car in a mostly deserted town" they really went off in their own direction on this.

Anyway, I think I mostly understand what was going on here...

So Harry is actually Cheryl's idealized memories of her father wandering through the memories of her life so far. All the echos and ghosts are things that Cheryl experienced or witnessed or heard about. Cheryl's life has gone to shit, and she has delusions that her father isn't really dead, and is going to come save her but he can't find her. That much was relatively straight forward, but I have the following questions.

- Who the hell was Dhalia? She was supposedly Harry's wife and Cheryl's mother, but if that were the case, why didn't Cheryl's mother look anything like her in the video tape segments of the endings, and why wouldn't Harry remember her? Plus she was the ONLY person in the entire game who knew who Harry was and seemed to have some idea of what was going on, but all those loose ends were left dangling.

- Michelle and Lisa confused me. At the high school Michelle said she went to school with Cheryl, and was about the same age as adult Cheryl. Lisa seemed to be about the same age too. Yet in the Sirens and Sleeze ending (In the interest of getting through my backlog, I beat the game and YouTubed the other endings. I'll replay some other day), Harry was with both Michelle and Lisa, which would have made them significantly older than Cheryl.

Overall, an impressive effort. Wasn't really *scary* but it was certainly kind of a mind fuck. The chase sequences were a neat concept, but some of them were waaaaaaaay too labyrinthine. Yeah, you had a really undetailed map that you could look at, but you rarely had time because you had monsters hunting you down constantly. I can get behind the no combat thing, but at the very least you should have had the ability to knock them down pre-emptively. The second to last Nightmare sequence was actually pretty awesome, very House of Leaves inspired.

mantidor

Mike M said:
- Michelle and Lisa confused me. At the high school Michelle said she went to school with Cheryl, and was about the same age as adult Cheryl. Lisa seemed to be about the same age too. Yet in the Sirens and Sleeze ending (In the interest of getting through my backlog, I beat the game and YouTubed the other endings. I'll replay some other day), Harry was with both Michelle and Lisa, which would have made them significantly older than Cheryl.[/spoiler]

I never really thought about this inconsistency! well I think this supports more the theory
that most characters were made up by Cheryll's mind, with the only exception being the psychiatrist of course and the police officer, the rest including Dhalia were part of Cheryll's imagination as well, or maybe she mixed reality with her ideal fantasy scenario and the people in the game have a little bit of both.

Mike M said:
OK, way late to the party, but I bought this on impulse since it was dirt cheap and plowed right on through it. Never actually played a Silent Hill game, though I am relatively familiar with the major plot points in the series. I knew that this was a re imagining of the original title, but wasn't aware how far they ran with it. Outside of "Harry Mason is looking for his daughter Cheryl after crashing his car in a mostly deserted town" they really went off in their own direction on this.

Anyway, I think I mostly understand what was going on here...

So Harry is actually Cheryl's idealized memories of her father wandering through the memories of her life so far. All the echos and ghosts are things that Cheryl experienced or witnessed or heard about. Cheryl's life has gone to shit, and she has delusions that her father isn't really dead, and is going to come save her but he can't find her. That much was relatively straight forward, but I have the following questions.

- Who the hell was Dhalia? She was supposedly Harry's wife and Cheryl's mother, but if that were the case, why didn't Cheryl's mother look anything like her in the video tape segments of the endings, and why wouldn't Harry remember her? Plus she was the ONLY person in the entire game who knew who Harry was and seemed to have some idea of what was going on, but all those loose ends were left dangling.

- Michelle and Lisa confused me. At the high school Michelle said she went to school with Cheryl, and was about the same age as adult Cheryl. Lisa seemed to be about the same age too. Yet in the Sirens and Sleeze ending (In the interest of getting through my backlog, I beat the game and YouTubed the other endings. I'll replay some other day), Harry was with both Michelle and Lisa, which would have made them significantly older than Cheryl.

Overall, an impressive effort. Wasn't really *scary* but it was certainly kind of a mind fuck. The chase sequences were a neat concept, but some of them were waaaaaaaay too labyrinthine. Yeah, you had a really undetailed map that you could look at, but you rarely had time because you had monsters hunting you down constantly. I can get behind the no combat thing, but at the very least you should have had the ability to knock them down pre-emptively. The second to last Nightmare sequence was actually pretty awesome, very House of Leaves inspired.

Some good questions.

This game is intentionally very ambiguous. So nobody can really be correct in answering your questions.

For the first question, about Dahlia. Nobody knows for sure. My guess is that Cheryl herself is confused about how to portray her mother. In some cases she's young and seductive, in her eyes a monster. In other cases, she's older like her real-life counterpart. The young-older Dahlia even goes back and forth. On the boat, you have sex with young Dahlia, but after the freeze over it's old Dahlia that is frozen. Dr. K at the end says "She's not the monster you made her out to be." in reference to Dahlia. So Cheryl perceives her as this wicked person, yet is likely confused herself on Dahlia's role in the manifestation. I think part of it might be that Dahlia is the only person in the entire game aside from the doctor is still active in Cheryl's life (probably). Dahlia is the only person Cheryl knew when she was young, and when she was an adult.

For Michelle and Lisa, the producer of the game said this:
"Are they real? Are you real? Are you imagining things? Do they exist? You have no idea. We kept that theme with Shattered Memories as the central core of everything, so that Michelle could be a girl you meet that went to school with your daughter, or Michelle could be this projection that Cheryl has because she saw Michelle with her Dad when she was little, or Michelle could be a symbol for something from Harry’s past. There are many ways to interpret a character. Hopefully when people play it with their profile, they feel connected to that version of the game. They can draw their conclusions based on what they saw. "

What I take from this is that the characters actually change depending on how you play the game. For example, Michelle in Sleaze and Sirens was someone Harry was cheating on Dahlia with. In other instances, Harry was not a cheater. It all depends on your psych profile. This goes for many of the other characters, including Lisa. In one case it's implied (in Sleaze and Sirens' path), that Harry was cheating on Dahlia with Lisa, who may have been Cheryl's nurse at the hospital. In other cases there is no implication of this. So again, it all seems to be how you play the game.

Remember that there are at least three variations of every echo/ghost message in the game. All depending on your profile. Some take you down one path, others take you down another. There's even three different mugshot pictures of Cheryl.

So there's no real one answer that covers all of the variations in the game. One playthrough will give you one variation of these characters, another may give you a completely different variation, incompatible with the first playthrough.

Here's a site with some info on the three characters in question:
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Dahlia_Mason
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Michelle_Valdez
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Lisa_Garland_(Shattered_Memories)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Medalion said:
Silent Hill a la Shattered Memories on 3DS, yes plz~!

The 3DS could be an awesome platform for Silent Hill, but Shattered Memories was made for Wii and I imagine it would lose a lot of it's appeal without wiimote flashlight, speaker use, pointer control for psychiatrist tests, etc. But someone who has actually played the Wii version along with the PS2 and/or PSP version could give you a better answer on that.

But I would like to say cellphone use being mapped to the touch screen and actually moving the 3DS to take pictures (periscope mode in Steel Diver) would be rather badass!

Shattered Memories 2 for 3DS please!

One other thing.

Even though all of the characters in the game vary depending on your profile, there are some things that are static. I think that Michelle and Lisa (and perhaps others), have a little bit of Cheryl mixed in them too. This is noted in some of the things they say.

- Michelle, no matter how you play the game, always sings "You are always on my mind" to Harry - in their first meeting of the game. Why would Michelle sing that to Harry? This is exactly how Cheryl views Harry. He is always on Cheryl's mind, in her delusions. She repeats the words "You are always on my mind" until Harry tells her to stop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TirgpF57Y You know, before watching this video, I never even knew there was a Plain or Princess Michelle. I also never knew this scene changed so much depending on the Michelle version you get. I always got Red Dress Michelle.

- There's instances where Lisa will tell you that she falls for guys that are like her father. This I think is Cheryl reaching out to you through Lisa. I think Cheryl does the same thing (on my first playthough, I thought the school teacher was Harry).

thomaser

Skiesofwonder said:
The 3DS could be an awesome platform for Silent Hill, but Shattered Memories was made for Wii and I imagine it would lose a lot of it's appeal without wiimote flashlight, speaker use, pointer control for psychiatrist tests, etc. But someone who has actually played the Wii version along with the PS2 and/or PSP version could give you a better answer on that.

But I would like to say cellphone use being mapped to the touch screen and actually moving the 3DS to take pictures (periscope mode in Steel Diver) would be rather badass!

Some DS-games have flashlights that work the same as the one in SH:SM. You just control it with the stylus, while walking/running with the d-pad. It works nicely.

And I think SH:SM or a sequel could look really, really good in 3D. I think the graphics had a very nice depth to it on the Wii. The forest area, in particular, could be spectacular in 3D.

thomaser said:
Some DS-games have flashlights that work the same as the one in SH:SM. You just control it with the stylus, while walking/running with the d-pad. It works nicely.

And I think SH:SM or a sequel could look really, really good in 3D. I think the graphics had a very nice depth to it on the Wii. The forest area, in particular, could be spectacular in 3D.

Same. It seems like a worthwhile port to me.

sfried

Yenrot said:
Is this any good on the PSP? Would rather buy that than the Wii version.
I know some of the lighting is taken out on the PSP version. Regardless, the Wii version is still the best one.

Is it just me or does the therapist Dr. Kaufman sound like that Commander from Red Faction Guerilla? "You're doing a good job Mason."

Yen

MYE said:
Any reason you dont want to buy the game for the system it was made for?
I was in my local GAME and they had the PSP version but not the Wii. It would just be handier but if the Wii version is better then I'll get it.

MYE

Yenrot said:
I was in my local GAME and they had the PSP version but not the Wii. It would just be handier but if the Wii version is better then I'll get it.

Yeah, its alot better on the Wii.

The therapist lies. Sex is not death. Riding a bike uphill is :(

Edit -
Really though, people may make fun of that part, but Kaufman was just trying to get into her head to think that it is OK to have sex. He says earlier in that session that people who are getting enough don't need therapy. Lack of sex can cause depression, and she wasn't getting any. He was just trying to help, in an odd way.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
SlipperySlope said:
The therapist lies. Sex is not death. Riding a bike uphill is :(

Edit -
Really though, people may make fun of that part, but Kaufman was just trying to get into her head to think that it is OK to have sex. He says earlier in that session that people who are getting enough don't need therapy. Lack of sex can cause depression, and she wasn't getting any. He was just trying to help, in an odd way.

That's a line from classical era. Poets and writers often equated sex with death. To orgasm was often written as 'to die.' Here's a whole book on the philosophy of it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0226773043/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Winter is just around the corner, and I need to play this game again. I'm still bouncing around the idea of writing an essay about it in the back of my mind, because as pretentious as this undoubtedly sounds, I don't feel like anyone I've spoken to about the game fully "got" what it was trying to do. Needless to say, I think the thing is damn near brilliant.

just started playing this...and man i get so lost in the chase sequences. The map seems useless cause you never have enough time to look at it with them chasing you. So i just end up running in circles :( I like the game outside of these sequences, its just so cramped and getting him to react to my movements is a pain sometimes.

Top Bottom