• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
EnjKLmH.png

Information:
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Climax Studios
Genre: Survival Horor/Adventure
Number of Players: 1
MSRP: $49.99/€49.99/£34.99
Platform: Wii, PS2, PSP
Official Site: http://www.konami.com/shsm/

7lxjRdT.jpg

Release Date:
North America: 12/8/2009
Europe 2/12/2010

7lxjRdT.jpg

Welcome Mr. Mason, just showing up shows your commitment. Now let's start from the beginning, take it step by step and try to recall what's happened. Visualize it in your mind, a reimagining if you will.

You say you lost your daughter? That you drove off the road during a snow storm? Interesting, interesting, and now you have to search through the desolate winter streets of Silent Hill in order to find your daughter. Now, did you find your daughter, or did you find yourself?

uTcwmyG.png

So, let me get this straight, using your flashlight and phone, you explored the town, trying to find your daughter, solving various problems, but then this, this nightmare world comes up, everything freezes over with ice, and now you're suddenly on the run from these creatures? Is that so... So you're unable to fight these creatures then? More than that?

Wait, you mean to tell me that you felt like you were being watched at all times? Who's watching you? The town? God? You don't know, just that the world seemed to conspire against you... hmmm. You know, we might be making some great headway here.

Characters
Now let's talk about the people you encountered.

Harry Mason: First there's you of course, a good relatable man who loves his daughter... right?

Cheryl Mason: Then of course your daughter who you were looking for. She looks so cheerful in your photographs. She must love you very much.

Dr. K: Me? I'm flattered, I think. Well, I am just your local neighborhood therapist. I do hope I've been a help to you.

Cybil: That's the police officer you met, right? You sure crossed paths with her a few times. I think she might have been worried about you, so don't take that she kept an eye on you too much.

Michelle: You met her while she was waiting for her boyfriend at a high school reunion, correct? She sure was kind to help you search.

Lisa: The nurse, right? She's the one that seemed to have seen a bit too much for her days, a cynic so to speak.

Dahlia: Ah, the tough girl. Have you thought of why you couldn't remember anything about her when you saw her?

YW2icJ8.png

Here are my initial thoughts.

G4tv
There's plenty that Climax is proposing for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories that gives me great joy. The actual E3 demo brought those aspirations back to reality, but there's plenty of time for Climax to figure out the polishing logistics. Given that the last few Silent Hill games haven't even been able to nail the right ideas, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is already a few steps ahead of the competition.

Gamespot
Based on our short experience with Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, we're very curious to see how the rest of the game unfolds. The game looks great on the Wii so far, and Climax Studios has done a nice job of re-creating the town by making it feel desolate yet disturbing. There didn't seem to be much background noise other than the howling wind and our footsteps as we wandered through abandoned shops, but when the chilling music and odd sounds kicked in, so did our pulse. Look for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories when it is released later this year.

ZRt9vHB.png

I see you have pictures.
silent-hill-shattered-memories-2-1.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-2-2.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-2-3.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-2-4.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-2-5.jpg

More here

70yqp01.png

And video too? Phones these days...
Debut Trailer (E3 09)
G4tv Hands On/Interview (E3 09)
Launch Trailer

70yqp01.png

Alright, I think I'm ready for a final diagnosis

Destructoid - 9.5/10
While Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a total departure in every way from what Konami proper had started, it manages to reinvigorate the series. This "re-imagining" could have been a story rehash, instead we get a brilliantly deep game with subtle subtext and surprising symbolism. It's deep enough that some may glaze over the reasons behind the game play decisions and story elements, which were, again, brilliant. It focuses on the horrors of the human mind and gets away from the tired ghost story, making for a story much more involving and disturbing than recent Silent Hill titles. A lovingly crafted story draws you in and then wows you with a surprise ending that leaves a lingering fascination. And chills. I'm still thinking about it. From one die-hard Silent Hill fan to another, this is a true Silent Hill game. A better Silent Hill game. Do not miss this game.

Eurogamer - 9/10
It has been a rocky road getting Silent Hill back on track after the unexplained decision to remove development duties from the original Team Silent, but with Shattered Memories, Climax has found its feet in some style. Packed with inventive ideas and one engaging sequence after another, it's a spirited, poignant and unsettling game that not only delivers a long-overduereturn to form, but reinvigorates horror adventures in the process.

Gamer Limit - 8.5/10
With its truly original and thought provoking story, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the rare game that is an absolute must-play despite having a number of elements that lead to disappointment. As long as you realize that this is a complete re-imagining of the original Silent Hill, you’ll be extremely impressed with the brilliantly crafted story and disturbing themes. Still, it seems torn between being a horror game and an unsettling experience, and it doesn’t do quite enough to realize all of its great psychological promises.

But if this is the new direction that the roads of Silent Hill will take us, I’ll gladly take the lonely, disconcerting trek.

Gamespot - 8/10
This is not the Silent Hill that may have terrified you more than a decade ago but an entirely new experience that is truer to it than any other game bearing the name since Silent Hill 3. Despite a few issues, including its surprising brevity, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a great game for anyone looking for a scare, whether you've been to the haunted town before or not.

Nintendo Power - 8/10
So though it may not be the unqualified success we were hoping for, Shattered memories proves an audacious and ultimately compelling experiment. [Holiday 2009, p.84]

GamesRadar - 7/10
The devs made some real strides in design and concept for the series, and they treat “waggle” like it isn't a dirty word. Its mature storyline and characterizations, its clear-yet-challenging puzzles and the series' trademark atmospheric scares all make Shattered Memories worth experiencing. Even if you have to suffer through some Nightmare portions that act as a roadblock to thrills, it’s at least worth a rental to see somebody take the Wii in a new – or at least "re-imagined" – direction.

metacritic

credit to Jocchan for the banners!

Very well done OP:lol . Can't wait to see what everyone has to say about this latest installment in the series.

Oh, and since this will be the new thread for the game I might as well put my comment here.

I especially love the fact that they felt it was similar to RE4 in the sense that it shakes up the SH franchise with new gameplay challenges/experiences that all the other SH experiences lack.

The attention to shadows, particle effects, readable wall signs, and a wonderful flashlight mechanic are really proving to be solid implementations for this game. The one thing that worries me is that this game could lose a lot of credibility when people pick up the inferior PS2 version with a weak flashlight mechanic and worse overall graphics presentation(Every SH fan creams at the mention of SH3 gfx). I can't imagine that anyone who plays the PS2 version has much of a leg to stand on when criticizing the game unless it's gripes with the storyline(pacing, characters, voice acting).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just realized this game is the perfect Halloween and Christmas game. Nice. :D

aryies

Neo Member
i want to rebuy a wii for this game.

not MP3, not SMG, not anything. but this. ugh. maybe i can find one on the cheap.

AniHawk

I'm only in this for the game watching you thing. I want to play through it entirely how I would go through it and not know if I got the good or best ending.

But man I just do not do well with horror games.

EDIT: Oh, and I like this OP.

J-Rock

Banned
red shoe paul said:
Weird, I wonder why..

Not really sure. But it may be because the Wii is the lead platform for this title. The PS2 version is just a port of the PSP version.

I'm curious to see how this one turns out, but far from sold on it. The mix of the developer + sharing multiple platforms (with a portable and last gen console... ugh) make me ambivalent at best. Graphically it doesn't even look up to par with the PS2 games from what I've seen, at least on an artistic level, and I'm highly skeptical of the decision to do away with any form of combat. I don't expect heavy artillery from the franchise, but I have my doubts as to whether always running away will prove a good foundation for compelling varied gameplay throughout the span of the entire experience.

It'll be interesting to hear GAF's impressions on this one.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bebpo said:
Aren't there some reviews missing from the OP? ;)
Doomed has a bad habit of forgetting certain reviews. ;)

J-Rock said:
Not really sure. But it may be because the Wii is the lead platform for this title. The PS2 version is just a port of the PSP version.
I'm not sure if the PS2 and PSP versions even exist yet.

Other reviews I've seen say the game is not a good Silent Hill game, but a damn good horror game. That should be enough to get people to buy it, honestly.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game's release and its generally good reception is seriously pissing me off. With no signs of a current gen Silent Hill being made at Double Helix, it seems as if Climax are the only dudes delivering the Silent Hill franchise, and that this shit is now gonna be stuck on the Wii. What's even more depressing is it seems there are some good ideas going into this game. I was a once-huge Silent Hill fan. I loved how the series used to push the limits of tech of the times and deliver a thought provoking and atmospheric experience. Climax really needs to bring this series HD and make good on its potential. I can't stomach the franchise being presented with new releases in sd, with low res characters with lip-sync issues. Might as well be playing one of the psp games. And they wonder why this won't sell.

Despite my negativity toward this release and the absolutely retarded way Konami has handled this series I still have to give props to Climax for delivering some interesting stuff. Hope someone can toss them the funding for a bigger project next time.

Ridley327

Wait, how does it being on a Wii affect lip sync issues? There's been plenty of games on HD systems with shitty sync.

Can't wait to pick this up next week!

~Kinggi~ said:
This game's release and its generally good reception is seriously pissing me off. With no signs of a current gen Silent Hill being made at Double Helix, it seems as if Climax are the only dudes delivering the Silent Hill franchise, and that this shit is now gonna be stuck on the Wii. What's even more depressing is it seems there are some good ideas going into this game. I was a once-huge Silent Hill fan. I loved how the series used to push the limits of tech of the times and deliver a thought provoking and atmospheric experience. Climax really needs to bring this series HD and make good on its potential. I can't stomach the franchise being presented with new releases in sd, with low res characters with lip-sync issues. Might as well be playing one of the psp games. And they wonder why this won't sell.

Despite my negativity toward this release and the absolutely retarded way Konami has handled this series I still have to give props to Climax for delivering some interesting stuff. Hope someone can toss them the funding for a bigger project next time.
So despite Shattered Memories being one of the best looking games on the Wii, you're still bitching? Your standards are impossibly high and honestly a little nitpicky.

~Kinggi~ said:

But you CAN play it on your PS3! Well some people can...

ZephyrFate said:
Other reviews I've seen say the game is not a good Silent Hill game, but a damn good horror game. That should be enough to get people to buy it, honestly.

Which review was that? I've heard multiple reviews have noted a lack of scariness. So I'll be awaiting GAF impressions and more reviews before biting.

~Kinggi~

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
So despite Shattered Memories being one of the best looking games on the Wii, you're still bitching? Your standards are impossibly high and honestly a little nitpicky.
My standards are set to the current times. I dont want one of the best looking Xbox games i've seen 5 years ago, I want one of the best looking ps3 or 360 games i've seen now. Just like the series always used to provide.

There is nothing unreasonable about that, at all.

somedevil

Little Green Yoda said:
Which review was that? I've heard multiple reviews have noted a lack of scariness. So I'll be awaiting GAF impressions and more reviews before biting.

There are 3 reviews I know of. The ign and nintendo power one and the third by shidoshi for a magazine that I think is not out now officially.

I'll be getting this one. The last Silent hill I played was 3.

~Kinggi~ said:
My standards are set to the current times. I dont want one of the best looking Xbox games i've seen 5 years ago, I want one of the best looking ps3 or 360 games i've seen now. Just like the series always used to provide.

Boo fucking hoo.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
~Kinggi~ said:

Because HD worked out so well them before...

Not saying SM will sell gangbusters but I think Wii + PS2 + PSP will definitely do better than 360 + PS3 + PC.

~Kinggi~ said:

Yes it is unreasonable. The same people going on about this in such a juvenile fashion don't do their argument much good. Some little console specific tirade isn't worth all that drama, and isn't going to change anyones mind. It also make you a lightning rod for you know who...

See this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379889

Just enjoy the game for what it is, and what it offers. I know I will.

Edit:
~Kinggi~
Banned
(Today, 12:11 AM)
Reply | Quote

:/

~Kinggi~ said:

Silent Hill hasn't ALWAYS been a graphical standard. SH1 wasn't great looking at all, despite being the most atmospheric of the series. SH2 and 3, were, yes, pinnacles of graphical fidelity of the time, but that's two out of many games.

There is something unreasonable about being a graphics whore for a series where the graphics are not necessarily why you play them.

You know, from what I've seen this is neither "not Silent Hill" nor "the RE4 of Silent Hill."

It's "Climax's Silent Hill." It's not Team Silent's Silent Hill, because Team Silent doesn't exist anymore and they're not making the game. It's Climax's own take on the basic premise of the first game, with its own set of themes and styles, not Climax aping Team Silent and making Silent Hill: Uh, The Hero is Guilty About Stuff and There's Rape Monsters and Cults: Part 3.

This release will, tragically, mark the very first time a new Silent Hill entry has come out and I have been unable to obtain it on launch day and indulge in my ritual of blocking off all the windows, turning off the phone, ignoring the door and all people, and settling in for an all day play session. I'm really quite torn up about it. I had to sell my Wii, ps2, and psp during the long months I spent waiting for the game to come out. With the biggest wince being for the Wii version, which I might still buy to look at wistfully, but probably not.

This is not a post about my sob story, however. I need you to POST. THE. NEW. YAMAOKA. Pretty please.

theinfinityissue said:
This release will, tragically, mark the very first time a new Silent Hill entry has come out and I have been unable to obtain it on launch day and indulge in my ritual of blocking off all the windows, turning off the phone, ignoring the door and all people, and settling in for an all day play session. I'm really quite torn up about it. I had to sell my Wii, ps2, and psp during the long months I spent waiting for the game to come out. With the biggest wince being for the Wii version, which I might still buy to look at wistfully, but probably not.

This is not a post about my sob story, however. I need you to POST. THE. NEW. YAMAOKA. Pretty please.
I heard that this is the intro, but I'm not sure. I like it at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfSHuMMAuY&feature=channel

Watched the IGN video review and the game looks pretty good. The adventure and psyche stuff seems really cool; I'm glad it doesn't seem as cheesy and obvious as they made it seem back at E3. The chase sequences look kinda awful, though. Thought that stuff looked bad at E3 (bringint this up since it's the last time I looked at this game) and it looks just as dumb now. Won't buy it right away, but I'll consider getting it down the road. I just hope those chase sequences are as bad as they look. BTW, that flash light ghost shadow effet at the start of the video was pretty cool.

Top Bottom