• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone know if the PS2 version will be 480p? This might give me a reason to fire up the ol' PS2 in who knows how long... since Persona 4 last Christmas!

Ridley327

The PS2 port of Origins didn't support progressive scan, but it did have a widescreen mode. I'd say that you could flip a coin at this point. :-/

Well I have put in about 5 hours now. Game is definetly solid. Framerate is smooth for the most part. Game looks really really nice. The story is very interesting, I still am shaking my head trying to figure it out. The game definetly has a different vibe then the other Silent Hill games. The key things are indeed here. The town, the mystery, the creatures, and famous SH locations like the school and hospital. Yet there are all presented differently. The psych bits are interesting and I think features like this in future games would be great, and I'm anxious to complete the game and try totally different answers to these questions and seeing how it effects the game. Game was light on puzzles until I hit the school where I got stuck on one perticular puzzle for a good while. Felt good to figure it out.

The no combat works really well and I don't really miss it. The chase scenes are intense for me. They don't provide the same fear as the original games but damn when I finally get back to the real world I let out sighs of relief. Pushing the things off you as they hoard up on Harry is nerve wracking as well. I feel like I'm really trying to shove these "things" off of me.

Now I haven't finished it but I can tell why this game would indeed make some hardcore fans pissed. This game seems to be going for more of a mystery/ghost story then cult, evil way of things. Again, I can't say for sure but thats my vibe after 5 hours. I just had a scene where my outfit on my character changed and I've heard that depending on what outfit you have on gives you a clue to what ending your going to receive. Again this must all be done behind the scenes on how you do stuff in the game, etc.

Overall, loving this game. Its different then a straight up remake and while part of me does indeed cry out for more of a similar SH experience from the past, SM actually brings a totally new feeling and vibe to the series. I can see some people really enjoying this re-vision and thats exactly how this feels. A totally new take on Silent Hill. This will jade some hardcore fans, others will embrace it or at least enjoy it for what it is. Thats about where I fall. Its a really great game so far. I am enjoying the hell out of it, but this is Silent Hill unlike what the fans are used to. The line has definetly been placed... now will see where many people stand.

Does the game try to be creepy when you're not in the icy world? Like when you're exploring and there's no enemies, do you still see weird things or hear strange noises and the like?

brandonh83 said:
Does the game try to be creepy when you're not in the icy world? Like when you're exploring and there's no enemies, do you still see weird things or hear strange noises and the like?

Sorta... there was a moment in the school that got me pretty bad. Also, while there are people in the game you meet. The feeling of being alone is heavy imo. Also when switching to the ice world, it starts out being so damn quite. Its freaky quite... and then the static comes and you know the things are coming for you. Also there is times where your phone goes all static and the flashlight goes crazy and you then get either txt messages or voicemails and some of them are rather creepy.

Dascu

There is only one element that can decide whether or not this is a "true" Silent Hill game:

Does the game have a UFO ending?

Dascu said:
There is only one element that can decide whether or not this is a "true" Silent Hill game:

Does the game have a UFO ending?

Already read that it indeed does. Guy stated the guide mentions it.

Ridley327

Good animation isn't exactly a HD console exclusive.

::says this without seeing any footage of the game that's been released in the past couple of days::

Amir0x

Banned
it has nothing to do with what console can do it, it has everything to do with the statement being straight up bullshit. The animations in the fifteen or so videos I've seen on Silent Hill Shattered Memories don't even match some mid-tier PS2 titles (although Silent Hill games have never had great animation, so it's not something I was worried about)

It's just you'd have to basically be playing zero PS360 games for the statement he made to be true.

This is like an HD game in SD. You know, if you upscaled a Wii game and then downscaled it again, it might look something like this.

Ridley327

Or, for the sake of fairness, games like Two Worlds, Vampire Rain and whatever Tenchu game shambled onto the 360.

I'm at work, so I can't really comment beyond a generally jovial jab at lazy animations.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Amir0x said:
it has nothing to do with what console can do it, it has everything to do with the statement being straight up bullshit. The animations in the fifteen or so videos I've seen on Silent Hill Shattered Memories don't even match some mid-tier PS2 titles (although Silent Hill games have never had great animation, so it's not something I was worried about)

It's just you'd have to basically be playing zero PS360 games for the statement he made to be true.
Although for the most part I agree with what he said being false, The chase animations do seem much better than what I'm use to on ps2.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh of course there are a billion games across all platforms with bad animations. I can list some PS360 games with worse animations than some fucking early PS2 titles.

It's just the idea that this game has animations that surpass even "most" PS360 games is absurd. You'd have to genuinely be playing no PS360 games for that to make sense.

Animation is not this game's strong point. Lighting seems to be.

Amir0x

Banned
Penguin said:
So is there enemy variety? All I seen all those weird midget, skinless people monster thingies.

Enemies changed based on psychological profile, no? So there was probably more emphasis put on changing a few select types of enemies with a lot of variation in their individual appearance based on what you selected.

Ridley327

Can anybody explain that, though? I just now thought about how survival horror games tend have, at best, OK animation and I can't think of a single one that's really excelled at facial animation. You would think that of all genres that survival horror would have more of a high-point than the fight with Mendez in RE4.

Amir0x

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Can anybody explain that, though? I just now thought about how survival horror games tend have, at best, OK animation and I can't think of a single one that's really excelled at facial animation. You would think that of all genres that survival horror would have more of a high-point than the fight with Mendez in RE4.

It's hard to say. I think in general, the focus in survival horror games have typically been to turn up the fire on the atmosphere/creepy factor/gruesomeness, so the detail goes more into the horrible surroundings and shambling enemy designs than the animation itself. Which is probably dumb... anyone can tell you that a creature which moves "Unnaturally" can be scarier than the environments themselves. Creatures which have shutter stop motion, which speed up or slow down in unpredictable ways.

Silent Hill enemies do that from time to time, though. It's just the animation has never been terribly impressive. They don't do a good job of it.

Just as a point of information, most GameStop stores should have gotten the shipment of this in already, but the game IS in fact listed as street dated in the system (on gostores for those in the know) but not on the sticker like a normal street dated game. So I guess like they say, YMMV when it comes to purchase time, but as far as I know it didn't use to be street dated, so some stores may in fact sell it without knowing that right now.

Ridley327

Amir0x said:
It's hard to say. I think in general, the focus in survival horror games have typically been to turn up the fire on the atmosphere/creepy factor/gruesomeness, so the detail goes more into the horrible surroundings and shambling enemy designs than the animation itself. Which is probably dumb... anyone can tell you that a creature which moves "Unnaturally" can be scarier than the environments themselves. Creatures which have shutter stop motion, which speed up or slow down in unpredictable ways.

Silent Hill enemies do that from time to time, though. It's just the animation has never been terribly impressive. They don't do a good job of it.

Well, until the illusion is shattered when you try moving around them and they start floating around in a strange circle. :lol :lol :lol

Penguin

Amir0x said:
Enemies changed based on psychological profile, no? So there was probably more emphasis put on changing a few select types of enemies with a lot of variation in their individual appearance based on what you selected.

Okay, I think.
Still only saw the one type.

Ridley327 said:

I actually wouldn't want horror games to work on facial animations.
It would be like the laugh tracks of the games.
Sort of like, how you are supposed to respond type deal.

Or maybe thinking differently of it.

I'm on the fence. Maybe I should ask Doug what he thinks.

Hey Doug! What's your opinion on the new silent hill? Worth the cash?

silenthilgif.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ratcliffja said:
This is like an HD game in SD. You know, if you upscaled a Wii game and then downscaled it again, it might look something like this.
If you upscaled a wii game and then downscaled it again, it would probably look exactly like a wii game with video lag.

Majmun

ratcliffja said:

HD game in SD.
Never heard that one before. :lol

Ridley327

Well, when all a game has to do in a non-interactive cinema is render at most three character models, you could probably afford to spend a bit on the detail.

NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANYTHING AWAY FROM THE VISUALS, but I'm just saying.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
brandonh83 said:
I've been rejected by three Gamestops. Looks like I'm waiting. :lol

What was your tipping point, I thought you were only renting?

This game is gonna be a surprise hit...
to konami

The IGN review plus hype = purchase confirmed. I know I'm a bitch, nobody has to remind me.

So answer me this, is the game technically out now? As in, the street date isn't being enforced at all anymore? Because someone I know that works at Gamestop said that if I called the DM and told he/she that the game isn't street dated anymore that she could call the store manager and give them the okay to sell it after they check up on it I guess? I just wanted to make sure that it's okay to sell the game, period, before I make a bit of a fuss about it.

Amir0x said:

The enemies do change a bit based on the psych stuff but really... when it comes down to the nightmare parts. You don't want to see them cuz your constantly running the fuck away. Also the first nightmare sequence seems linear and straightfoward. The other ones. Not so much. More open areas to run and I even got turned around and was back at the start. I was pissed because I just wanted to be the hell out of there and to realize that I was at square one was devastating. Also, I love the flares in this game, they are few and far between but they can save your ass for sure.

Are the scares in the icy world restricted to the monsters? Or, like I asked earlier, is there more than just the monsters to freak you out? How long to do the icy sections last?

brandonh83 said:
Are the scares in the icy world restricted to the monsters? Or, like I asked earlier, is there more than just the monsters to freak you out? How long to do the icy sections last?

Well the modern world parts, like I said, have some rare moments. Though the overall feeling of lonliness and creep factore is high! As for the ice world, basically one the world transforms in front of you, the game goes silent. Then the static happens. Then suddenly you might be running towards a door and BAM a monster comes through and its like "Fuck" and then the crazy music kicks in and Harry runs with more of a urgent feeling in his steps. The icy sections can last anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes so far it seems. Slight non story related spoiler here
one ice section you get to the end and then it seals up the exit with some ice statues, you then get a txt on your phone basically hinting that you need pictures of three areas in the ice world. They get marked on your gps. Once you take these and return the ice figured dissapear
So in that case the part lasted longer then the other, but I've only seen about 4 ice section so far and from reading a guy posting about the guide over on gamefaqs, seems I'm halfway at 5 hours in.

Also gotta add that the first ice transformation, seeing it in person and watching the huge ice pillars shoot high above me all in real time made me say wow. One of the few times for a Wii game honestly.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Special thanks to Jocchan for the new banners in the OP!

I'm ordering mine on Amazon. I really don't have the time to play it this week in any case...

Majmun

Dascu said:
MW2 had quite a few threads.

ouch :p

And thanks for the impressions, slasher_thrasher21. The game sounds amazing. February 2010 can't come soon enough.

2010...sounds so far away. -_____-'

Second said:
ouch :p

And thanks for the impressions, slasher_thrasher21. The game sounds amazing. February 2010 can't come soon enough.

2010...sounds so far away. -_____-'

Np. The thing about this game is that, even taking away the "how does it stack up as a Silent Hill game?" question. The game is solid and fairly polished in my eyes. I did run across one time early on where all my sound dissapeared and simple required a restart.
Though because the game lacks combat, I do feel like this Silent Hill is more like a classic point and click adventure game since its all about the mystery, the puzzles, characters, and the setting.

Also for the ice nightmare parts, when you die, you just have to restart from when the icy world first transformed. While some might dislike that, one cool bonus is that as far as I can tell the enemy layout is random. I've had to restart some nightmare sections a few times and enemies always came from different areas, sometimes not where they were before, or popping throw doors. So it doesnt appear realy scripted in that aspect. Which is awesome cuz it adds to the random "oh shit" moments.

Top Bottom