• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

helium121

Banned
Some Gamestops got this in today. You guys may want to call them in the morning to verify. It's not showing as street dated either.

MiniDitka

Valkyr Junkie said:
Cleavage shot should be hotlinked in a row a few times more.
uvs091204-001.jpg

Great job OP.

I'm into Wii "horror" games right now.

I bid on Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, and Dead Space Extraction. I also have a copy of Fatal Frame 4 on the way from Play-Asia. I really want this game, it looks really awesome! =)

Teknoman

MiniDitka said:
This game is freaking me out a bit.

Nice.

Also those complaining about graphics, its a damn good looking game, and lets not forget that SH2 and 3 launched on the "weakest" home console at the time. Other developers take note: This is how you make a game for the Wii from the ground up.

Great graphics, sound design, and even well done controls.

EDIT: I can upload the tracks from the soundtrack (or at least the ones I like) later. Youtube style anyway.

Oh is the game locked at 30 or does it display at 60fps (or what looks like it)? Just wondering since I dont think theres ever been a survival horror game that ran at 60 on a console.

Teknoman said:
Nice.

Also those complaining about graphics, its a damn good looking game, and lets not forget that SH2 and 3 launched on the "weakest" home console at the time. Other developers take note: This is how you make a game for the Wii from the ground up.

Great graphics, sound design, and even well done controls.

But how will Konami market it? Somebody posted a rumor in the other thread about the limited number of copies sold to retailers...

Little Green Yoda said:
But how will Konami market it? Somebody posted a rumor in the other thread about the limited number of copies sold to retailers...

Unfortunately they won't. It's going to bomb at retail, and we're going to hear the old same song and dance about 3rd party Wii sales starting with "There's no audience for hardcore games on the Wii." :lol

Anyway, I really want this game. Looks great, but I've supported too many great Wii games at launch just to see them drop in price 1 month later. =/

Might wait on a deal.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
EmCeeGramr said:
There's screens of the PSP version:

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/102/1028126/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090924035719301_640w.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/101/1016045/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090820000053833_640w.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/102/1028126/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090924035720989_640w.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/102/1028063/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090924014440198_640w.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/989/989977/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090602051147486_640w.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/989/989977/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090602051151204_640w.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/989/989977/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090602051149236_640w.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh, I see. So at least the PSP version exists in some form.

Still the overly vague placeholder dates for the PS2 and PSP versions give me pause.

Game is rocking so far but can anyone help me figure out the art room puzzle? I think I figured out the numbers but when trying to use them, where do I use them is the question, I thought maybe my phone but no dice. Any help?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
grandjedi6 said:
Doomed has a bad habit of forgetting certain reviews. ;)
Hey, I don't have access to the Play review and metacritic doesn't have it up, so I have nothing to do with that. The IGN review was surprisingly competent this time, plus it's only one of three reviews up, so I'll be updating from time to time.

anyway, good to see people like my OP. I put extra love into each one :D

CiSTM

Banned
John Harker said:
i've never heard of this game before... is it any good?

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. Especially if you are looking for a survial horror game for the Wii, it's either this or Escape from Bug Island.

AniHawk

CiSTM said:
Pretty, pretty, pretty good. Especially if you are looking for a survial horror game for the Wii, it's either this or Escape from Bug Island.

Could you go more into detail about it? I've never played a Silent Hill before because I enjoy sleeping, but the game watching you thing sounds really cool and I was wondering how the entire game is.

MiniDitka

CiSTM said:
Cursed Mountain is also pretty good.

Loved this game at E3, and surprisingly so to myself, considering that I'm a huge Silent Hill fan and have been disenfranchised with Silent Hill since SH3 and the downfall of the series since then.

I'm really looking forward to playing the entire game.

CiSTM

Banned
AniHawk said:
Could you go more into detail about it? I've never played a Silent Hill before because I enjoy sleeping, but the game watching you thing sounds really cool and I was wondering how the entire game is.

I have only had an hour with the game so can't really say that much. But even judgin by that one hour gameplay I can say it felt like a solid game and I do have high hopes for it. I really like the no-combat-approach because that works so well in a surivavl horror game, it really makes you feel helpless. Enemies chasing you in the dark alleys and you escaping them will get your heart beat fast. Still from the material I have seen I can say it's not going to be the best SH game. It lacks the creepy enemey desing of the orginal trilogy and the overall art just isn't there. It does scare you but not in a creepy way as the orginal games.

faridmon

MidnightScott said:
I'm into Wii "horror" games right now.

I bid on Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, and Dead Space Extraction. I also have a copy of Fatal Frame 4 on the way from Play-Asia. I really want this game, it looks really awesome! =)
i am really sad that everyone forgets Cursed Mountain. its really one of the best if not the best Horror game on the Wii.

and a horror game i actually managed to play

AniHawk

CiSTM said:
I have only had an hour with the game so can't really say that much. But even judgin by that one hour gameplay I can say it felt like a solid game and I do have high hopes for it. I really like the no-combat-approach because that works so well in a surivavl horror game, it really makes you feel helpless. Enemies chasing you in the dark alleys and you escaping them will get your heart beat fast. Still from the material I have seen I can say it's not going to be the best SH game. It lacks the creepy enemey desing of the orginal trilogy and the overall art just isn't there. It does scare you but not in a creepy way as the orginal games.

Thanks. I might give it a try over the break.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
faridmon said:
i am really sad that everyone forgets Cursed Mountain. its really one of the best if not the best Horror game on the Wii.

and a horror game i actually managed to play

I third the Cursed Mountain suggestion. It's got some glaring flaws but it also does so many things right and in such a different way it's more than worth a look. Survival horror fans on the Wii giving it the cold shoulder makes no sense.

As for Shattered Memories, I'm really looking forward to seeing how I find the chase sequences. As we all know there's tons of different types of 'fear' in entertainment and some scare the pants off some while being quite lame to others.

I, for example, find spooky monsters and creepy designs more interesting than scary, and will very rarely be 'afraid' of how something looks. Not that I don't love games with that style, they're just not 'scary' to me. Whereas something where I feel helpless and chased scares the crap out of me. No game has scared me more than something like Alien Vs Predator (and 2), simply because the Marine campaign has you fighting enemies faster, deadlier, and more numerous than you.

The Shattered Memories chases could sit nicely with me.

EatChildren said:
I third the Cursed Mountain suggestion. It's got some glaring flaws but it also does so many things right and in such a different way it's more than worth a look. Survival horror fans on the Wii giving it the cold shoulder makes no sense.

Ohohoho I get it!

Anyway, I was going to try out Cursed Mountain but really heard nothing about it after it came out, and I wasn't sure if it was worth the purchase (money is a little tight these days). I wouldn't mind picking it up used or mentioning it as a Christmas gift, any other thoughts on the game?

BluWacky

timetokill said:
Ohohoho I get it!

Anyway, I was going to try out Cursed Mountain but really heard nothing about it after it came out, and I wasn't sure if it was worth the purchase (money is a little tight these days). I wouldn't mind picking it up used or mentioning it as a Christmas gift, any other thoughts on the game?

Cursed Mountain is a lot of fun. It's quite a slow game (the controls are very survival horror-clunky) and not particularly difficult overall, but it's very atmospheric and almost... cinematic? I guess? Not in a Fahrenheit or Final Fantasy way or anything like that, but it's a nice self-contained experience that plays out a story without padding it out or anything. It's a entertaining to spend a week's gaming, certainly - lasts about 8-10 hours or so.

It's more creepy than scary. A few jump moments for a wuss like me but nothing like the dogs in Resident Evil which made me scream like a girl and turn the power off...

Ricker

Nice OT...damn I thought this was only coming on the Wii...now I might get this on the PSP instead,i'll have to wait for impressions and reviews.

Have no clue how some of you already snagged a copy. I've called most of the Gamestops in my area, and none of them have received it yet. Don't tease me, damn it!

NintendosBooger said:
Have no clue how some of you already snagged a copy. I've called most of the Gamestops in my area, and none of them have received it yet. Don't tease me, damn it!

Mine did but he won't sell it to me :lol

Teknoman

NintendosBooger said:

Wasnt street dated, and some recieved it earlier than others (like Klonoa). I've got some reward zone points, so i'm hoping Best Buy doesnt screw me over.

Dascu

Let's see:
- Not terribly Silent Hill-ish
- Short
- Repetitive and predictable chase sequences
- Psychological profile consequences are mostly cosmetic

Yeah, this probably won't be a "day one" anymore for me. On the bright side, the Fatal Frame 4 translation patch project is almost done.

Majmun

Probably the first game I'll be buying next year.

European here. :(

Getting the Wii version btw. I loved the original SH. Can´t wait for some impressions.

Majmun

Dascu said:
Yeah, this probably won't be a "day one" anymore for me. On the bright side, the Fatal Frame 4 translation patch project is almost done.

what

A bit offtopic, but how will I be able to play the game with that patch?

Fatal Frame and Silent Hill are one of my favorite horror games. I'm still mad at Nintendo/Tecmo for screwing us by not releasing FF in the West.

Hiltz

Wii owners should support Shattered Memories in my opinion despite the game's short length and other minor flaws.

I just think it deserves to sell well given the quality of the game and how Climax challenged itself to not only make a new and refreshing take on the Silent Hill franchise but had faith by putting it on a Nintendo platform and took advantage of the Wii's hardware both in terms of graphics and controls with impressive results. Besides, it's not like the game is a spin-off title like the on-rails RE and Dead Space games. :D

It would be a real shame to see yet another good third-party title bomb at retail even if Konami doesn't seem to care.

Peff

Second said:
what

A bit offtopic, but how will I be able to play the game with that patch?

Fatal Frame and Silent Hill are one of my favorite horror games. I'm still mad at Nintendo/Tecmo for screwing us by not releasing FF in the West.

You just need a Wii with Homebrew Channel and then you apply the patch to the ripped iso from the game and burn it (or play it off an USB unit). There'll be tutorials once it's out surely.

So anyways, how come it's so short? The original game wasn't Oblivion but it was longer than five hours the first time. Do you still go to the same places or it's changed like the storyline?

Dascu

Peff said:
You just need a Wii with Homebrew Channel and then you apply the patch to the ripped iso from the game and burn it (or play it off an USB unit). There'll be tutorials once it's out surely.
Actually, they're working on a patching method that works with the original game copy. You wouldn't need to make an iso. Apparently, you can just pop in an SD card with the patch and it'll work. I don't even think you need any homebrew installed, not even a region-free hack. Sounds too good to be true.

Anyway, this is the site: http://zero4.higashinoeden.com/index.html

Check the forum for info and updates.

---

On-topic: You know, some posts (and mine) make the game sound worse than it really is. I'm still pretty excited for it and all the reviews have been favourable. It's just not quite the Silent Hill game a lot of people were hoping for.

Teknoman

Isnt the game about the same length as any SH game anyway? Its not like they were abnormally long in the past. And calling it short isnt counting the time spent figuring out puzzles, the right paths to take, etc.

As far as the focus on puzzles, I think most people started playing survival horror games for the puzzles and atmospheric environments, so if Shattered Memories starts taking games back in that direction, i'll be happy. Not saying I didnt enjoy RE 4-5, but I do miss the puzzles.

Ridley327

Dascu said:
On-topic: You know, some posts (and mine) make the game sound worse than it really is. I'm still pretty excited for it and all the reviews have been favourable. It's just not quite the Silent Hill game a lot of people were hoping for.

I was about to call you out on bitching about the length since every survival horror game ever made is about as long as SM seems to be.

Ridley327 said:
I was about to call you out on bitching about the length since every survival horror game ever made is about as long as SM seems to be.

Yeah if I bitch about anything, length won't be one of them. I can beat Silent Hill 2 in around 3 hours and it's by far the best SH game to me and one of my favorite games ever, period.

Dascu

Ridley327 said:
Well, true. Horror games should be short. But I was kind of dissappointed that it doesn't seem like the psych profile will encourage multiple playthroughs. I was really hoping for a short, but very replayable horror game.

Teknoman

Are the ice-overs random?

EDIT: I think the psych stuff still has an effect on the endings, so theres that. Though it would've been nice if they changed the environments you had to visit.

Ridley327

The one in back is about to leave the screen, likely to look for the environmental textures that seem to be missing.

BA-ZING!

Top Bottom