• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley’s $400 Juicer May Be Feeling the Squeeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could get actual fresh squeezed juice from Jamba Juice every day for less than that and you wouldn't have to clean a thing

This is one of the most hilariously inept products I have ever seen
Yeah it really is loll. So many better (and cheaper) options out there, like Jamba Juice. There's one across the street from where I work. I go there 2-3x a week.

Dehnus

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-04-19/silicon-valley-s-400-juicer-may-be-feeling-the-squeeze

A 400 dollar machine that just squeezes juice bags into a cup, that can be done by hand. Typical silicon valley stuff.

Squeeze me if old.

Edit: BTW you can only buy the bags if you buy the juicer AND they have been encoded with DRM that wont let the machine squeeze bags that are not-valid.

Yes really.

-999x-999.gif

Added Gif of comparison
Sooo much plastic waste!

There's actually fruits and veggies in the packets. You can feel it in the texture when you press the bag. Even though i've tried plenty of them, I'm actually curious how they make the bags. There's no pulp or anything when you squeeze it out, even when not using the brickmachine lol. My guess is there's a really fine filter inside and it's engineered like a blood bag where the slit is very small for the liquid to come through

And yeah you actually really have to squeeze to get it out of the bag. Similar to wringing a towel.

I understand that there are fruits and veggies in the bag itself. My question: Does that really matter? It doesn't seem like it. It seems like it's just a really expensive bag of juice with "real veggies included" type of thing.

Lulu23

What exactly is in those bags? Just juice? Why does it even have to be squeezed out?
Can't I just buy juice in a carton or bottle and, you Knie, pour it out?

big_z

What exactly is in those bags? Just juice? Why does it even have to be squeezed out?
Can't I just buy juice in a carton or bottle and, you Knie, pour it out?

I really want someone to cut a back open to see what's inside. They claim its contents are chopped up fruits and veggies but if you can squeeze out the same amount of fluid by hand something fishy is going on. My guess is they produce the juice in bulk, fill the bags with it and toss a little of the pulp in to make you feel special.

I really want someone to cut a back open to see what's inside. They claim its contents are chopped up fruits and veggies but if you can squeeze out the same amount of fluid by hand something fishy is going on. My guess is they produce the juice in bulk, fill the bags with it and toss a little of the pulp in to make you feel special.

I agree. We need to see the contents. Unless the bags make your hands super powerful, there's no way you're squeezing all the juice out of apples, carrots, and fucking spinach. It's just not happening. It's gotta be bags of juice with some pieces of watermelon floating around. Heh.

man, and I thought those $15 jar of "organic cold pressed" juice were a ripoff. This is just pure snake oil.

- creates tons of plastic waste
- makes you buy the machine first in order to get the packs. (The packs are not cheap either, ranging from $5 to $8 in a 8oz serving LOL)
- packs have DRM

https://www.recode.net/2016/9/12/12...ero-too-embarrassed-to-ask-podcast-transcript

This guy is crazy.

KS: Let's talk technology because it's a technology show.

There are 400 custom parts in here. There's two motors, there's 10 printed circuit boards, there's a scanner, there's a microprocessor, there's a wireless chip, wireless antenna. There's 775 aircraft-grade aluminum. There's a gear box. There's latches that support 16,000 pounds of force. So this is basically a monster of a machine inside this veil of this nice aesthetic.

There are 400 custom parts in here
-999x-999.gif

There's two motors, there's 10 printed circuit boards
-999x-999.gif

there's a scanner
-999x-999.gif

there's a microprocessor, there's a wireless chip, wireless antenna
-999x-999.gif

There's 775 aircraft-grade aluminum
-999x-999.gif

There's a gear box
-999x-999.gif

There's latches that support 16,000 pounds of force
-999x-999.gif

So this is basically a monster of a machine inside this veil of this nice aesthetic.
-999x-999.gif

Chozoman

Banned
Sooo much plastic waste!

Don't worry, you just print out a postage paid sticker and send your bags back to the company for recycling! They thought of everything!
I'm not joking. This is seriously what you are supposed to do

Zen Aku

If anyone need a professional juice squeezer. I'll do it every day for $3. Will also throw in an open white shirt and slow motion for an extra $2 (if you're into that).

Ensoul

First off I think this is overpriced and the whole idea is absurd. No idea what kind of person would spend $400.00 on this to squeeze juice out of bag.

Regardless you cannot get the juice without the $400.000 machine. So it's not like people can just walk into a store and buy the $8.00 juice bags, squeeze it with their hands and the company is out $400.00 bucks.* People aren't going to buy the machine and not use it.

*Of course my post is null and void if they start selling the juice bags in stores.

Beartruck

When I was in grade school, we had a class project where we had to invent something. My contribution was a "Baby food maker" consisting of a box filled with fruit that had a baseball bat taped to it. I still think that was a better invention than this.

All these DRM pod devices are just awful. What a horrible way to screw over the people who paid a premium for your product. They need to be shamed so people don't get sucked into these schemes.

I'm still waiting for the $400+ Flatev tortilla maker to implode.

It's basically the good old 'razor and blades' (or 'printer and ink', if you will) business model in action - except they seem to have forgotten the part where you make the core product relatively cheap and force consumers to pay a premium for proprietary juice packs.

TirMcGrey

This has to be the most asinine thing I've seen come out of silicon valley, scratch that, anywhere in a good long while. I expect to see these things to be on the bargain side of the aisle soon enough, and people realizing they bought a decorative kitchen item as the pouches become harder to locate.

LakeEarth

I agree. We need to see the contents. Unless the bags make your hands super powerful, there's no way you're squeezing all the juice out of apples, carrots, and fucking spinach. It's just not happening. It's gotta be bags of juice with some pieces of watermelon floating around. Heh.

Yeah it's fishy as shit. I bet the harder-to-squeeze items (like carrots) are already pulverized, and only soft fruits/vegetables are left in chunks so that the user thinks it's doing something.

Dude is a modern day snake oil salesman. Off the charts hustle game.

Part of me gets mad but the other respects the fact he got all that money from VCs.

see5harp

The entire "cold press" juice thing is awesome but I feel like a lot of people are being taken advantage of, especially when they aren't actually pressing the shit in front of you. At Coachella last weekend there was a bigass cold press juice place selling prepackaged bottles and I had two of those things over 3 days at $12 a pop. They had amazing descriptions for each but at the end of the day they just tasted like watered down Odwalla with no sugar added.

Holy shit. Fuck this company.

Also, I hope since this company is about being organic those shitty bags are disposable, unlike k-cups.

Wag

wellespress.jpg

This is not even an original idea. There are already hydraulic juice presses on the market, and you can supply your own fruit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There are 400 custom parts in here. There's two motors, there's 10 printed circuit boards, there's a scanner, there's a microprocessor, there's a wireless chip, wireless antenna. There's 775 aircraft-grade aluminum. There's a gear box. There's latches that support 16,000 pounds of force. So this is basically a monster of a machine inside this veil of this nice aesthetic.

The more I read this sentence the more I love it. There's tech illiteracy and then there's listing things like "has an antennae" and "contains a microprocessor" as features of your "IoT device"

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hahaha holy shit this is one of the dumbest inventions I've ever seen. They over-designed the fuck out of that mechanical squeezer too ahaha.

This product was made for the SF hipsters.

Volcane

What a stupid machine. A juicer to me, lets you put fresh fruit in a machine to get fresh fruit juice out. Why would buy a machine that requires prepacked bags, you may as well just buy prepacked juice.

Fuchsdh

at that point, just eat some fucking fruit salad

this whole thing is hilarious

Yeah I'm not sure how you end up with "no mess" if they suggest slicing open the bags to eat the pulp and then recycling it (which means washing the bags if you want it to actually be recycled and not discarded at the processing center.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom