• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
:D

107k people in my city

Survived a zombie attack and an earthquake......but that forced me to bulldoze some smaller buildings which were immediately replaced by higher density structures

I need my neighbours to buy my oil

Your neighbours can't buy your resources, you have to manually gift it to them... At least that's how I think it works.

Alternatively, build a trade depot and sell Oil to the global market.

Your neighbours can't buy your resources, you have to manually gift it to them... At least that's how I think it works.

Alternatively, build a trade depot and sell Oil to the global market.

Yea, trade depot, thats what I meant but no one on the global market seemed to be buying? Or do I have to turn something on to do that?

evilhomer

Yea, trade depot, thats what I meant but no one on the global market seemed to be buying? Or do I have to turn something on to do that?

You have to set them to export. I think use locally may be the default. Also beware that the trucks can get stuck in traffic coming in and out of your city.

You have to set them to export. I think use locally may be the default. Also beware that the trucks can get stuck in traffic coming in and out of your city.

I'm also going to be screwed traffic wise since you can't upgrade streets to avenues, bulldozing and rebuilding might kill my city lol

Ferry is an option, just need to figure out where to put it

it took forever, but i finally got a good 1-2 hours in. i swear it was just 10:30pm

so far, the game is pretty sweet once you actually get to play. checked out the gaf region on NA East 1 and sent a PM to get my invite for my reserved spot on metalmurphy's list. cant wait to join. you guys seem so far ahead!!

my rage is gone and now i can rest!

CzarTim

I think the issue for me is less the city size and more that it seems impossible to make a self-sufficient city. A lot of that comes from the fact that the cities are so small though, since every city works building comes at the sacrifice of valuable real estate. It's nice that you can upgrade buildings, but it doesn't cut it. I had a recycling center and a garbage dump, both with the max number of trucks, and yet there was still large portions of my 250k pop city not being covered, so I had to plop yet another one down. What's the implication here? I need a neighboring city that focuses on waste to help me out? That's fine for a solo region, but in a multiplayer set-up, who wants to be the guy who says "No, you guys build a cool city. I'll clean up your shit"?

If these buildings, fully upgraded, scaled with a high pop city, the size issue would be irreverent. Instead I am consistently pushed up against a wall where the only clear solution is to make another city. And since what the other cities need only surfaces if you specifically go look at them, the inter-connectivity that they are forcing is ambiguous and annoying.

edit: here's a shot

ZRVTQMA.jpg

yogloo

I'm actually planning to build a support city on gaf region. I am thinking about focusing on power, factories, thrash, water and all sort of support units that I can sell to other gaffers. I wonder how that will work out.

$h@d0w

Tommy Refenes (meat boy):

@TommyRefenes: The first cracker that can enable SimCity Offline play will get a $100 donation from me. Get to it internets!

ekim

The same OPTIONS for regions, yes, but if I create a region on NA EAST 1, only people that are also on NA EAST 1 can join it, where it's stored.

I'm pretty sure Burgess invited me from another server than the one I used and I was able to join the game.

Ceebs

Welp, refund grated. It only took 3 hours of waiting in a queue. (about how long it took to unlock after midnight last night >_>)

I wasted enough of my time on this game already and only got to play for maybe an hour.

I may have missed it but is there going to be a UK/EU GAF region setup, getting the game on Friday and while I haven't played a Sim City since 2000 i'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

Hasney

Ok thanks, how small is small?

Just over 200mb for the installer through Origin, then about 4gb when it downloads the real game through it's own software.

Which probably means it won't be auto-updated through Origin either, which is a pain.

I may have missed it but is there going to be a UK/EU GAF region setup, getting the game on Friday and while I haven't played a Sim City since 2000 i'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

I was wondering the same thing. I actually have Friday off for unrelated reasons, so if my key comes through tomorrow/early Friday, I'll see if I can get something set up unless no-one trusts a junior.

If it unlocks at midnight Thursday, then someone else can do it because I am out with a friend that night and I may be in no condition to do anything.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm actually planning to build a support city on gaf region. I am thinking about focusing on power, factories, thrash, water and all sort of support units that I can sell to other gaffers. I wonder how that will work out.
Use your resource citiy income to build a strictly resudental/commercial structure using landmarks as income to become ultimate winner and controller of everything.

Just over 200mb for the installer through Origin, then about 4gb when it downloads the real game through it's own software.

Which probably means it won't be auto-updated through Origin either, which is a pain.

I was wondering the same thing. I actually have Friday off for unrelated reasons, so if my key comes through tomorrow/early Friday, I'll see if I can get something set up unless no-one trusts a junior.

If it unlocks at midnight Thursday, then someone else can do it because I am out with a friend that night and I may be in no condition to do anything.

I've ordered the ltd edition from Amazon so I should get it on Friday then other than a couple of plans i'm going to be spending all weekend on either that or Tomb Raider.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Seems like the solution for the water problem is to place a pump near a sewage treatment plant.

Yup. Sewage Treatment turn sewage into water and dumps it into the ground. The pump takes that water out of the ground and gives it back to the city. Closed loop.

Who would've tough that natural resources would be a problem in this game, and finding renewable sources would be the solution? :D

Hasney

Yup. Sewage Treatment turn sewage into water and dumps it into the ground. The pump takes that water out of the ground and gives it back to the city. Closed loop.

Who would've tough that natural resources would be a problem in this game, and finding renewable sources would be the solution? :D

Sounds like it's made by hippies. Hopefully I can have a tyre burning yard and just get the wind to blow to other regions.

Ok so I'm on (north America east 2) but my friend still doesn't show up on my friends list. Assy but at least I can play the game now.

From what I'm reading, you both have to be online at the exact same time the friend invite is sent and send it through SimCity, not Origin. I'm sure that's just a glitch though, otherwise it would be moronic.

codhand

Sorry if redundant

How do I select server? It asked me once now when the US servers were slammed--had to select Europe--and now I can't find the option.

How do I change my Sim City avatar from the question-mark-face? I have changed it in Origin, but it didn't transfer to Sim City.

KKRT00

Welp, refund grated. It only took 3 hours of waiting in a queue. (about how long it took to unlock after midnight last night >_>)

I wasted enough of my time on this game already and only got to play for maybe an hour.

You refunded SimCity game after playing it for only 1 hour, what?

Hasney

You refunded SimCity game after playing it for only 1 hour, what?

Because it took a lot longer than an hour with trying to play it, it seems.

I don't blame him. Get full money back and wait a while, then go and get it down the line when it's a lot more stable and can save some money. It's win-win.

Was ready to give up last night, couldn't get in till 11 est. So frustrating. Finally got in and forgot all of the issues and played the game until 3 am. Game is fun.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Because it took a lot longer than an hour with trying to play it, it seems.

I don't blame him. Get full money back and wait a while, then go and get it down the line when it's a lot more stable and can save some money. It's win-win.

How can you refund something that you activated on Origin? He still owns the game, doesnt he? Not that I mind fucking over EA.

Bumhead

Banned
Has anyone bought this at retail? Does the game require you to actually load up and run Origin or does it just need your log in details?

For some bizzare reason which I can't diagnose Origin refuses to load on my PC. Just get the spinning loading icon when I attempt to open it then nada. I was going to buy the physical version of the game if it circumvents this. I'm assuming it doesn't though.

I'd hate to spend what is probably going to end up being £40 on the boxed version of this, find I can't play it because Origin doesn't work and have no way of returning it.

Well I'm in love with this game. But can whoever it is who has the city next to me in delta 3 please kindly tell you citizens to STOP VISITING! Their grid locking my city. Heh

lol, that's me (You can see who is next to you in region view). What do you expect, my city is an irradiated mess right now.

Sounds like it's made by hippies. Hopefully I can have a tyre burning yard and just get the wind to blow to other regions.

From what I'm reading, you both have to be online at the exact same time the friend invite is sent and send it through SimCity, not Origin. I'm sure that's just a glitch though, otherwise it would be moronic.
But we're already friends in Origin, shouldn't he just show up?

Anyway I tried searching for his name while we were both online in SimCity and had no luck. That was last night though.

Hopefully the server issue gets sorted out. We should probably hold off on our GAF regions until it does. I had to get on a different server to play last night.

Any idea how long radiation takes to dissipate? I'm tempted to just let my city run in the background all day if that's what it takes. Of course my water supply is polluted now because of it too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Has anyone bought this at retail? Does the game require you to actually load up and run Origin or does it just need your log in details?

For some bizzare reason which I can't diagnose Origin refuses to load on my PC. Just get the spinning loading icon when I attempt to open it then nada. I was going to buy the physical version of the game if it circumvents this. I'm assuming it doesn't though.

I'd hate to spend what is probably going to end up being £40 on the boxed version of this, find I can't play it because Origin doesn't work and have no way of returning it.

I got the physical version. When installing, it asked for my Origin details, as well as updating itself.

There is a comedy of errors that led to the almost absolute destruction of my first city in SimCity yesterday. I didn't realize that the water pumps could pretty much pump the ground dry in the area they are placed. So, I had a huge city based around oil drilling and ore mining. I placed the water pumps far away from all these activities so the water wouldn't get polluted. Once the ground dried up the city ran out of water. With no water the businesses couldn't run and generate income, so the city started to go bankrupt. I had to shut off services like the schools temporarily so I could afford to place new water pumps. While the schools were shut off the citizens got dumber and didn't have the skill levels to work at the high tech jobs in the city...namely the nuclear power plant. So, the power plant was no longer safe and had a meltdown making half the city radioactive. This created a lot of destroyed buildings and polluted the water system. As any good horror fan will tell you, this led to a zombie apocalypse and the zombies burned down the other half of the city. Wow...

There is a comedy of errors that led to the almost absolute destruction of my first city in SimCity yesterday. I didn't realize that the water pumps could pretty much pump the ground dry in the area they are placed. So, I had a huge city based around oil drilling and ore mining. I placed the water pumps far away from all these activities so the water wouldn't get polluted. Once the ground dried up the city ran out of water. With no water the businesses couldn't run and generate income, so the city started to go bankrupt. I had to shut off services like the schools temporarily so I could afford to place new water pumps. While the schools were shut off the citizens got dumber and didn't have the skill levels to work at the high tech jobs in the city...namely the nuclear power plant. So, the power plant was no longer safe and had a meltdown making half the city radioactive. This created a lot of destroyed buildings and polluted the water system. As any good horror fan will tell you, this led to a zombie apocalypse and the zombies burned down the other half of the city. Wow...

That's pretty incredible, talk about a failure cascade.

I've been having a wierd origin problem: literally every 2 minutes I get booted from the game to the desktop, with Origin displaying the 'another user using this account' error. It's driving me crazy, any known fixes?

r3n4ud

Lol...I love cause and effect things like this in games!

Top Bottom