• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Mobius 1

Viridian Woods #2 is pretty much abandoned, every player besides frolique abandoned their cities. Weak.

Someone send me an invite to an active region please.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It seems that the game will be unlocked at 0:01 here in France tonight (in 9 hours), but with 3-4 GB to download (2-3 hours of download for me), I won't be able to play the game as I work tomorrow. So I'll play only after work, if servers let me in...

What the point of unlocking a game at midnight if we can't preload it, EA ?

Moreover, still no sign of my preorder being accepted, when will EA valid my preorder to give me my key ? At midnight ? Before ? (I will be able to preload via VPN) Or worse, tomorrow ?

Seriously, it's the last time I preorder via Origin, no "Deluxe" or "Origin only" bonus preorders anymore, there's no bonus in being locked waiting a preorder and then waiting for a download, when everyone else that ordered outside of Origin can play the game...

Damn you Zonasburg, all your criminals keep coming to my town and starting trouble. I'm gonna sick my zombies on you soon! 900 sick people and climbing (and this was AFTER the zombie outbreak was resolved).

Anson225

well i had a lizard stomping through my town hall... destroying my main avenue lol

anyway its been 30 hours and i still cannot load my city, thanks EA

Definity

Haha, logged into my region this morning and it looks like my neighbor had a blow out with a nuclear reactor. All kinds of shit going wrong in his town.

Teletraan1

Banned
well i had a lizard stomping through my town hall... destroying my main avenue lol

anyway its been 30 hours and i still cannot load my city, thanks EA

I got lucky. I had a lizard attack and he just stumbled about in an open area of the city and then went and ate my garbage at the dump and then died.

saunderez

Played for a few hours by myself in a small region and think I understand the basics of the game. It was a bit of adjustment from the old games but I managed to get my main city to a population of about 30k and an adjacent coal mining town up to 20k and things are starting to pick up. Having some issues with mouse lag but I suspect it's my mouse or PC as this has happened in a couple of other games.

Mendrox

Welp... I don't get the problems at all lol.

Bought the game 2 hours ago from GMG for 41€, used Hideman for VPN, installed the game in 30 minutes and didn't have any problems to join an european server. Tutorial was no problem and nothing happened till now, am I just lucky? Nevermind, just happy to play a game like this again :)

I just caught up on all the ridiculous server issues. Wow, I definitely got lucky yesterday, with both getting the physical copy and getting on the server but this shit is so painfully predictable that I have no doubt that EA was fully aware that their day 1 infrastructure was not going to hold up.

Danj

Just saw this on GMG's facebook, apparently this SimCity can't do roundabouts.

eALiJPm.jpg

I really wish I didn't have to ask this, but high server traffic or high vehicle city traffic?

LOL.....high vehicle traffic.

High density avenue was packed and my fire trucks couldn't get to the building in time before it got out of control and started spreading.

Looks like I'm going to be forced to abandon my city. I've been letting it run for several hours at the highest speed and the radiation levels aren't dropping at all. What bullshit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Viridian Woods #2 is pretty much abandoned, every player besides frolique abandoned their cities. Weak.

I'm in VW2, I just haven't had time to play the game yet. But I guess I'll be entering into an empty region today :(.

Nibiru

Banned
Holy mother of shite. I feel bad for the dude, for many reasons.
And $180 for Simcity poster?

That character he plays is just a gimmick. He reads about problems people are having with a game and then makes a video freaking out about it. Check out his other videos he doesn't talk or act anything like that. It's funny stuff but not real at all.

Well, it seems the small city size is creating an interesting dynamic for me. Fully teched industry sector, but my city is only about 15% industry zoned.

Time to bulldoze my low cost housing to put up factories. bwahahahaha!!

That will increase homeless, and hence crime, and pollution but I'll be filthy rich.

It's so bizarre and awkward seeing these artificially and needlessly squared-in, invisible walled perfect square plots of "cities." It's such a shame. There should be homes running up the mountains like California, and farms and other structures stretching out across the plains.

I think the issue for me is less the city size and more that it seems impossible to make a self-sufficient city. A lot of that comes from the fact that the cities are so small though, since every city works building comes at the sacrifice of valuable real estate. It's nice that you can upgrade buildings, but it doesn't cut it. I had a recycling center and a garbage dump, both with the max number of trucks, and yet there was still large portions of my 250k pop city not being covered, so I had to plop yet another one down. What's the implication here? I need a neighboring city that focuses on waste to help me out? That's fine for a solo region, but in a multiplayer set-up, who wants to be the guy who says "No, you guys build a cool city. I'll clean up your shit"?

If these buildings, fully upgraded, scaled with a high pop city, the size issue would be irreverent. Instead I am consistently pushed up against a wall where the only clear solution is to make another city. And since what the other cities need only surfaces if you specifically go look at them, the inter-connectivity that they are forcing is ambiguous and annoying.

edit: here's a shot

Pretty much. I also constantly had max demand for all 3 types of residential in spite of the fact that 80% of my landmass was dedicated to residential zoning. I CAN'T ZONE ANY MORE RESIDENTIAL GAME, FUCK OFF.

cripterion

It seems that the game will be unlocked at 0:01 here in France tonight (in 9 hours), but with 3-4 GB to download (2-3 hours of download for me), I won't be able to play the game as I work tomorrow. So I'll play only after work, if servers let me in...

What the point of unlocking a game at midnight if we can't preload it, EA ?

Moreover, still no sign of my preorder being accepted, when will EA valid my preorder to give me my key ? At midnight ? Before ? (I will be able to preload via VPN) Or worse, tomorrow ?

Seriously, it's the last time I preorder via Origin, no "Deluxe" or "Origin only" bonus preorders anymore, there's no bonus in being locked waiting a preorder and then waiting for a download, when everyone else that ordered outside of Origin can play the game...

Exactly in the same situation.
How can they be so stupid as to not even put up a preload?

So I played about 4 hours last night on my laptop at the house. Loved every minute of it.

Brought the disk in to work and installed it here, logged in and it wants me to do a tutorial again. I don't see my city that I worked on last night??

Isn't the whole point of this online stuff to be able to do this?? Or is my city data actually saved on my laptop at the house?

RS4-

I'm going to run sandbox mode and test different things. Low density roads with properties and parks, another area with med roads, etc. Just to see how the growth, and wealth turn out.

Then plan appropriately when it comes down to where my $$$ will be in relation to something like the port and train stations.

Speaking of which, how do I get access to freight trains or even a freight station? There no hidden unlocks is there?

Zona

Damn you Zonasburg, all your criminals keep coming to my town and starting trouble. I'm gonna sick my zombies on you soon! 900 sick people and climbing (and this was AFTER the zombie outbreak was resolved).

It's your fault! My police cant get anywhere with all your people flooding the place.

Oh and trees and parks apparently help bring down pollution. May be slow though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I managed to log in late and not have the server crash on me, so I got an hour or so of gameplay in.

Was sandboxing it, trying to figure out the larger scale oil/coal/trading thing, between cities that I took control of.

It's confusing...

JambiBum

So I'm trying to place an airport right now but can't seem to find any plop points. I've cleared out space in two different areas and still can't place it. Any tips?

Stasis

Love the game, hate the online DRM right now. Can't connect to servers, blablabla. Diablo 3, SimCity... not sure I'm gonna buy the next one that has this. Seems no one can figure out how to launch an online only title successfully.

Also already looking forward to bigger plots. Multi-city is cool and all, but having to load each time you switch between cities kinda kills that for me a bit for solo play. It's not a seamless process. Looking forward to trying multiplayer though, that should be cool.

I'll be on and off all day so hopefully I can get my invite to VW1!

TxdoHawk

So I played about 4 hours last night on my laptop at the house. Loved every minute of it.

Brought the disk in to work and installed it here, logged in and it wants me to do a tutorial again. I don't see my city that I worked on last night??

Isn't the whole point of this online stuff to be able to do this?? Or is my city data actually saved on my laptop at the house?

Make sure you're connecting to the same server both at work and at home. Saved games don't transfer across servers, so if you used America East 1 at home, you need to pick it again at work.

Enjoyed what I played last night (about 2.5 hours) but I wish there were upgrades to allow you to share resources with more players than whoever you're immediately connected to via roads.

Love the game, hate the online DRM right now. Can't connect to servers, blablabla. Diablo 3, SimCity... not sure I'm gonna buy the next one that has this. Seems no one can figure out how to launch an online only title successfully.

As others have pointed out, this will probably never, ever happen. Launch traffic for games is always insane, and it's not financially viable for companies to allocate hardware and resources that won't be needed two or three weeks from now.

Mugaaz

Played 3 hours last night, after 2 hours got disconnected. City was rolled back and all progress lost. Played another hour, the game then tells me my city is out of sync and my options were to abandon the city or resync it. This is a fucking joke.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member

I am in VW2, but I never got an invite to join because East 1 was having severe issued last night.

I still want to play in a GAF region. If people are already giving up on VW2, can someone invite me into another region?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is there any way to PREVENT people from using the services on my city? I don't mean things I share, like FireFighters or Police, but "passive" services? Both my energy and sewage treatment go haywire from time to time, because both of those services fuctuate a lot (wind turbines stop working, for instance), and if there's people siphoning that from me, shit goes wild.

I'm having more problems with the Sewage Treatment and the game not calculating the external cities using it or not in time, so eventually my sewage treatment plant stops, even though there's more than enough treatment (at least that's what I think it is!)

eznark

Banned
This game is a trainwreck. Can't even switch between cities in a region right now because it's refusing to load them.

This game is a trainwreck. Can't even switch between cities in a region right now because it's refusing to load them.

Game itself is fine (when you can play it.... rimshot).

Whoever handled the servers between EA and Maxis should be ashamed though. I feel bad for the guys who just worked on the game itself, it must suck to see your hard work get shit on because the servers suck.

eznark

Banned
Game itself is fine (when you can play it.... rimshot).

Whoever handled the servers between EA and Maxis should be ashamed though. I feel bad for the guys who just worked on the game itself, it must suck to see your hard work get shit on because the servers suck.

I've only been able to get a city up to about 20,000 or so because of server issues but it's starting to feel like it's absolutely not "fine." We'll see. Maybe it's just transitional issues that get smoothed out with later decisions.

Just had to force close the game because it was stuck in a reticulating spline-pounding sand-flipping off consumers loop while loading a city as I switched between them within a region. Well done, EA.

kinda need to rework the road so i can have access to the railroad. lol. and rebuild it for mining lol. i'm already in debt trying to keep up because i planned the city out wrong. hopefully i can just let it idle and collect money to repay it off or i'm dead. thank god there's no disaster that hit yet. but my city is riddled with crimes. and i had to leech power off LiquidMetal14 for a bit. lol.

I've only been able to get a city up to about 20,000 or so because of server issues but it's starting to feel like it's absolutely not "fine." We'll see. Maybe it's just transitional issues that get smoothed out with later decisions.

My point exactly. The server guys should be updating their resumes, or EA should stop being cheap bastards when it comes to the servers, one or the other.

Hard to give the game a fair shake when it all banks on the servers functioning.

Arcticfox

Just be patient. I tried for over 5 hours yesterday to login and skip the tutorial. I was able to get through once and play for a total of 10 minutes before the game crashed and when I logged back in the city I built was gone.

Top Bottom